• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off screen gameplay video of borderland 2 vita

Nvm the framerate, where the hell is the detail I that second vid!?

Seriously dissapointing and this is looking like The Walking Dead Vita bundle all over again where Sony pushes a mediocre port as if it's supposed to be a system showpiece

Harlock

I dont mind the lack of details, because Vita screen will make the saturate colors of borderland look even better. But they need put some serious work with the framerate.

Looks Native res, I would take a better frame rate over native res. Also the detail and lighting are completely missing(which is what I expected, Unreal is ass on Vita).

Seriously dissapointing and this is looking like The Walking Dead Vita bundle all over again where Sony pushes a mediocre port as if it's supposed to be a system showpiece

and before that, that AC game that ran like pure ass.

Instagram vid looked bad, Youtube vid looked great. Guess you have to wait and see the final result

I noticed that too, I don't know if that is typical borderlands because everything else looked pretty smooth too me.

Don't know about the other characters much, but when I played as zer0 my reload speed (with perks, by the way) used to be fast as hell, so this one is like slow motion to me. But I think that this goes beyond the skills, like some other poster said before.

Edit:
Why does every enemy that dies gib? It's not like that on other platforms right?

Not on PC, as far as I can remember. Enemies disappear I think because they must be squeezing every drop of power in this game, even if that does not end in good graphics. Must overcome that poor UE3 kit, I think?

MUnited83

For you.

What's wrong with the Walking Dead port? Only thing I can complain about is the shadows, but everything else is not really that much worse than the other versions. The game on the Vita seems to actually have better framerate than the PS3 version. Stutter problems are still there, but thats not because its a bad port, its because every single version suffers from that.

Ugh, this is bad. If this launched side by side with BL2 PS3 version, maybe I could excuse it but this long afterward and that terrible looking, what is the point? I can't imagine the game even being remotely enjoyable in this state.

This is coming from an avid Vita owner and someone who has 350 hours on BL2 (PC)

What's wrong with the Walking Dead port? Only thing I can complain about is the shadows, but everything else is not really that much worse than the other versions. The game on the Vita seems to actually have better framerate than the PS3 version. Stutter problems are still there, but thats not because its a bad port, its because every single version suffers from that.

Walking Dead was a BAAAD port. I think a lot of people got fooled by the native res and unlocked framerate (myself included), but the constant stutters KILLED the experience for me. No it wasn't comparable to the PS3 version. It's substantially worse.

Tygamr

The Walking Dead on Vita runs better than on PS3. It's also a lot crisper (because it runs native res). Characters don't cast shadows though- that's the biggest graphical difference.

Also, the stutters are in literally every version of the game- even PC depending on your specs. It only happens when the game saves. PS3 version had a worse framerate, got hung up more often, and bugged out on me several times (which the Vita version never did to me).

Game looks visually pared down as compared to the PC/PS360 versions but that is to be expected. Dynamic shadows are missing, etc.

The could've removed the black outlines around the characters, landscape, buildings and enemies to improve performance even more, but I guess that was too much of a distinctive look to throw away. BL isn't BL without it.

On the PC, removing those black outlines (cel shading) gives you as much as a 10 to 15 FPS gain via an ini tweak in the WillowEngine.ini file located at C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\Config (change DefaultPostProcessName from DefaultScenePostProcess to RyanScenePostProcess)

What is unacceptable however (as evidenced in the youtube video), is the long ass loading time (27+ seconds) between areas. To illustrate the difference, I just booted up the game on my ancient, low end, 5+ year old Core 2 laptop with a mechanical 2.5" HDD and it takes seconds in comparison for that very same area transition to Southern Shelf Bay.

The Walking Dead on Vita runs better than on PS3. It's also a lot crisper (because it runs native res). Characters don't cast shadows though- that's the biggest graphical difference.

It DOES NOT run better. It runs at a unlocked framerate that widely fluctuates. This, in tandem with the poor read/access speeds where the game will literally lock up for 2-3 seconds at a time when making choices, makes it as waaaay less consistent experience. The PS3 version on the other hand has a capped 30fps that holds much better as well as generally faster loading all around.

Don't know about the other characters much, but when I played as zer0 my reload speed (with perks, by the way) used to be fast as hell, so this one is like slow motion to me. But I think that this goes beyond the skills, like some other poster said before.

Edit:

Not on PC, as far as I can remember. Enemies disappear I think because they must be squeezing every drop of power in this game, even if that does not end in good graphics. Must overcome that poor UE3 kit, I think?
I was being sarcastic. You're right, they probably drop characters out as soon as they can so the frame rate doesn't take a dive.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Walking Dead was a BAAAD port. I think a lot of people got fooled by the native res and unlocked framerate (myself included), but the constant stutters KILLED the experience for me. No it wasn't comparable to the PS3 version. It's substantially worse.

The game itself ran smoothly and looked great. It is the loading time after each decision (I suppose that is what you are referring to as stuttering) that affected the game.

It DOES NOT run better. It runs at a unlocked framerate that widely fluctuates. This, in tandem with the poor read/access speeds where the game will literally lock up for 2-3 seconds at a time when making choices, makes it as waaaay less consistent experience. The PS3 version on the other hand has a capped 30fps that holds much better as well as generally faster loading all around.

Maybe, just maybe, not everyone had the same experience as you?

Telling multiple people they are wrong about their personal experience (having played both as you have) makes little sense. It's just anecdotal evidence. Just like people arguing whether or not the save files corrupt or not in each version.

Real truth is: Not only are the Playstation installments rather poor ports, but Tell Tale is pretty terrible at a technical level for their games.

MUnited83

For you.

I guess YMMV, but for me, the stuttering was just as bad as the PS3 and PC versions. Not worse. Can't really say that is a bad port when for me the experience was basically the same across all platforms.

OmegaZero

So according to that Twitter account Takao posted, the GDC build is an unoptimized one with framerate issues due to a wider FOV and increased details over previous builds. The "lock ups" are also supposedly the result of an auto aim glitch when large enemies are close. The dev team is working on fixing them.

Other interesting "facts":
-All Borderlands 2 DLC will be on Vita, released every 2-3 weeks.
-Gearbox is contemplating bringing all future installments of Borderlands to Vita (lol).
-In the event that the above is unfeasible, a Borderlands subseries may begin development.
-Based on the success of this, they may decide to port Borderlands 1 over with new items, missions, and characters.

Even if the unoptimized build part is true, who knows if they'll be fixed by release?
My expectations are low tbh, but what I'm seeing in the Youtube footage looks more playable then I initially assumed the game would turn out.

whitehawk

Banned
The pauses are just part of the game. I've played it both on PC and Vita.

So according to that Twitter account Takao posted, the GDC build is an unoptimized one with framerate issues due to a wider FOV and increased details over previous builds. The "lock ups" are also supposedly the result of an auto aim glitch when large enemies are close. The dev team is working on fixing them.

-Gearbox is contemplating bringing all future installments of Borderlands to Vita (lol).
-In the event that the above is unfeasible, a Borderlands subseries may begin development.
-Based on the success of this, they may decide to port Borderlands 1 over with new items, missions, and characters.

Even if the unoptimized build part is true, who knows if they'll be fixed by release?
My expectations are low tbh, but what I'm seeing in the Youtube footage looks more playable then I initially assumed the game would turn out.

Increased details, eh? You don't say.

mj-laughing.gif

Gestault

Not thrilled with what I'm seeing, but I wouldn't call it unexpected. I was frustrated being in conversations where people insisted there was no reason to be concerned about the performance in a feature-matched Vita port. I disagreed at the time, and it wasn't based on expecting unsatisfactory development efforts.

That being said, this will be on my "buy" list, no matter the quality of the port. Conversions like this are incredibly interesting to me. I'd love to be surprised by the final version, too.

Tygamr

Well... Agree to disagree. You seem to be the only one here that thinks the Vita version was a bad port compared to the other versions.

Also, this is totally off topic now...

VanWinkle

Very interesting. Thanks for the info, Omega. Really hope the framerate issues will be sorted and I have faith they will based on the info you posted.

That youtube video looks fantastic to me. I'm pretty psyched actually :)

Side note, why don't more developers implement double tap on the back touch pad. It works so much better and there isn't any accidental pressing.

OmegaZero

Very interesting. Thanks for the info, Omega. Really hope the framerate issues will be sorted and I have faith they will based on the info you posted.

Tbh, I wouldn't consider most of the claims I posted as info. Until the devs themselves post info verifying it, I'm assuming that they're rumors from someone on Twitter that might know what he's talking about. :b
The unoptimized build one sounds the most plausible (and does give me hope that the game will at least run better then what was shown at GDC), but others (such as the one where Gearbox is considering a Vita-specific subseries) make me less optimistic about the authenticity of his contact/source.

Regardless of how the port turns out, I'll be getting it just for the sake of having a full version of Borderlands 2 on a handheld.

Killzone psp game was flawed but pretty fun.

Top down borderlands with loot could be awesome.

Wasn't there an iOS Borderlands spinoff that did something like that?

It's looking pretty good at this point. Old build + further optimizations and I can definitely see this as being a good port.

I'm ok with the downgraded graphics. There's no way around that.

nampad

Game looks visually pared down as compared to the PC/PS360 versions but that is to be expected. Dynamic shadows are missing, etc.

The could've removed the black outlines around the characters, landscape, buildings and enemies to improve performance even more, but I guess that was too much of a distinctive look to throw away. BL isn't BL without it.

On the PC, removing those black outlines (cel shading) gives you as much as a 10 to 15 FPS gain via an ini tweak in the WillowEngine.ini file located at C:UsersUsernameDocumentsMy GamesBorderlands 2WillowGameConfig (change DefaultPostProcessName from DefaultScenePostProcess to RyanScenePostProcess)

What is unacceptable however (as evidenced in the youtube video), is the long ass loading time (27+ seconds) between areas. To illustrate the difference, I just booted up the game on my ancient, low end, 5+ year old Core 2 laptop with a mechanical 2.5" HDD and it takes seconds in comparison for that very same area transition to Southern Shelf Bay.

Even if the loading times are unacceptable, I don't know how comparing it to your old laptop makes any sense. Even a old C2D rips the Vitas CPU apart and your laptop probably has double or more RAM. And your old mechanical HDD offers more space than the Vita's game card which is limited to 4 GB, which means all the assets have to be compressed to hell.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't look too good. 15 hours of Steam version co-op with friends was more than enough for me anyway

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It doesn't look bad at all(man to think that this isn't considered awesome on a handheld is sort of mindblowing) but it needs a more stable framerate.
I'm not interested anyway, i have a repulsion for FPSes, i have BL2 thanks to PS+ and i played it only one time, i thought that on Vita would have been different but after looking at the video i have really no desire to play it, and not because of its technical faults but for the game itself

Killzone psp game was flawed but pretty fun.

Top down borderlands with loot could be awesome.
There's no reason to dumb it so down, Resistance retribution is considered one of the best Resistance games and it's a third person shooter, Killzone Mercenary is awesome and probably there are other good examples.
The point is that a game to be good should be made with Vita in mind and developers should be good enough. Obviously a port/multi from/with a more powerful machine from bad developers has really high chances to be bad but don't forget that Vita has some good ports and multis though, good developers can do anything.

Top Bottom