• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 | Review Thread

What Scores do you think Hellblade 2 will get?

• 50-59%

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • 76-79%

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 90 38.8%
  • 86-90%

Votes: 47 20.3%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 10 4.3%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
zm7dASB.jpeg
9d02SU6.png

zf0ptZR.png
2i3hga1c10

d2MPk2v.jpeg
wV5NLSc.png

FAQ​

What Time Will Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 Be Released?​

Hellblade 2 will have a staggered release when it launches on Xbox Series X|S and PC on May 21, 2024. The game will unlock at midnight wherever you are in the world meaning the timezone you reside in will dictate when you can start playing.

Is Hellblade 2 Coming To PS5?​

No, Hellblade 2 will not be coming to PS5. However, with Xbox testing the waters when it comes to releasing its exclusives on other platforms months or years after they originally launched, you never know what the distant future might hold.

Why Is Hellblade 2 Digital-Only?​

As well as keeping production costs lower, the studio behind Hellblade 2 noted it was able to make the game it wanted by skipping a physical edition, pointing to its shorter story length.

aX8X1rb.png

1Sq7H7M.png
AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 95 / 100
Few games in recent times have been able to do what Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 has done: make me feel so engaged and immersed that I wish the feeling would never stop. It is a game that will keep you in constant awe throughout the playtime with its fantastic and mysterious story, incredible graphic and sound presentation and realistic and brutal combat that will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 7.5 / 10
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II won’t be for everyone. But if you are looking for a brutal continuation of a fantastic story that feels like you’re actually playing a movie, you’ll have a great time here.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 7 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 starts incredibly strong in the first half, but after certain revelations, the story speeds up to a point where the conclusion feels rushed and half-baked.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 95 / 100
It has been a very long time since I played a game as assured, polished, and emotionally affecting as Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2.

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 7.9 / 10
If you expect an immersive but not so interactive “game”, Senua’s Saga Hellblade II delivers a short yet intense experience. Ninja Theory has once again skillfully created an impressive atmosphere, as they did in Senua’s Sacrifice. Unfortunately, the issues remain as well: Puzzles and combat are too easy and there is no variety in either. So please keep in mind, that this is more a Hellblade 1.5 than a true sequel.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 10 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is well worth the wait and is a serious game of the year contender. Senua's follow-up journey is the best exploration of mental health that we've seen in games to date, using incredibly striking visual imagery, metaphors and immersive soundscapes to have you feel right there next to her. In what has to be the most photo-realistic game of all time, you're guaranteed to be constantly taken by the hero's adventure as you take in the beautiful and often haunting Viking Iceland. Through mud and dirt, blood and bones, Senua and Ninja Theory in turn bare all to you, the player. A masterpiece, benchmark and magnum opus, Hellblade II is crucial storytelling you won't soon forget.

Console Creatures - Patrick Tremblay - Recommended
With Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, Ninja Theory shows that video games can be more than simple entertainment: they can be profound artistic and emotional explorations, capable of touching and transforming those who play them. This is an unforgettable journey into the heart of Iceland's darkness, where every step of Senua is a step towards self-discovery.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 4 / 5
Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 is a visual stunner for Xbox even if its gameplay isn't too creative.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Essential
Ninja Theory has finally delivered the long-awaited and provocative sequel to Hellblade, with one of the most impressive interactive cinematic experiences of the generation, which makes you question what is real and leaves you dreaming of the graphic potential of future games still on current consoles.

Enternity.gr - Christos Chatzisavvas - Greek - 9.5 / 10
With Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, Ninja Theory builds the game it dreamed of, creating a title on a larger scale than any other.

Eurogamer - Johnny Chiodini - 5 / 5
Hellblade 2 continues Senua's story with grace, confidence, surprising brutality and thundering conviction.

Game Informer - Marcus Stewart - 9 / 10
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II’s conclusion ends on another strong note, and despite my initial reservations about continuing Senua’s story, I walked away happy to see her conquer new monsters, both literal and metaphorical.

GamingTrend - Cassie Peterson - 95 / 100
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a stunning and immersive storytelling experience that really puts the player into the mind of its titular character. It's even more narratively-focused than the first game (not to its detriment), with a bigger emphasis on how Senua sees and interacts with the world around her. The whole experience from start to finish has been beyond memorable.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 8 / 10
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is another Viking-worthy feast for the senses that meets the high bar set by its predecessor, even if it never really manages to clear it.

INVEN - Soojin Kim - Korean - 8.5 / 10
The game's high level of immersion makes you want to play it from start to finish in one sitting. With outstanding audiovisual presentation and effects, it gives the feeling that you're playing a movie, not watching it. However, the gameplay elements, such as combat and puzzles, still lack significant meaning, which leads to rather disappoint feelings.

Kakuchopurei - Jonathan Leo - 80 / 100
While the story & gameplay's broad strokes might be familiar, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2's execution, perspective, and overall production values are just stellar and highlights Ninja Theory's strengths in delivering what it does best: story-heavy cinematic gaming. The characters are fleshed out and well-written, with proper focus on your main character and her turmoils that carry over from the first game, the fighting feels weighty and challenging without being completely frustrating, and the HUD-less approach to presentation is welcome.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 5 / 10
A joyless slog of barely interactive entertainment and a muddled portrayal of mental illness… that just so happens to have the best graphics ever on a video game console.

MondoXbox - Giuseppe Genga - Italian - 9.5 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a true masterpiece: a deep and highly immersive narrative experience that manages to make us feel all the protagonist's torment within an impressively realistic world. Ninja Theory reveals itself to be one of the most valuable studios in the Xbox stable here, reaching levels of absolute excellence in graphics, audio, narration, and acting. A must-play.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 70 / 100
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II keeps the basics intact, and while a strong lead character, great animations, and simple but enjoyable combat continue to deliver, the poor pacing and performance issues prevent this sequel from breaking free of its past.

Nexus Hub - Sam Aberdeen - 8 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is the best-looking game we've ever played - a true visual powerhouse backed by an emotionally charged story and gripping dark fantasy setting, if you can look past some of its shortcomings.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - 9 / 10
Hellblade 2 is a triumph in masterful storytelling and impeccable audio design for Ninja Theory. It is an emotionally powerful experience that depicts a sensitive subject that is hardly talked about in the medium.
To achieve this, the game stripped out several features and systems like combat and exploration in favor of a deeper narrative affair. This is not for everyone, but it is something I would encourage everyone to try at least try out.

Oyungezer Online - Onur Kaya - Turkish - 8 / 10
Next gen graphics and presentation is now among us, next gen game design on the other hand, will be running late.

Pixel Arts - Danial Dehghani - Persian - 9 / 10
Hellblade 2 is a stellar example of a sequel done right, building on the elements that made the original a landmark in gaming. It stays true to its roots, prioritizing depth and atmosphere over broad appeal. Fans of the first game will find much to love here, as it remains a unique and compelling experience. However, if the original didn't resonate with you, Hellblade 2 follows a similar path and might not change your mind.

Press Start - Brodie Gibbons - 9 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is yet another arresting, artful chapter in an adventure now two games long. Though it might approach iteration with a very safe hand, only going so far as to correct the original's shortcomings, Ninja Theory's clear strengths in story craft, audiovisual design, as well as their care for the dark subject matter manage to shine through brighter than ever before.

Rectify Gaming - Tyler Nienburg - 10 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II emerges as a visual and storytelling masterpiece, and is unquestionably the best-looking game I've witnessed on Xbox Series X since its launch.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored
A more uncompromising version of the first game, Hellblade 2 offers a well told story and immaculate presentation. But it's also even simpler, to the point where it treats interaction like an inconvenience.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9.5 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is, at its core, a short game, but an excellent one. But it's not for everyone. It's a bloody and often disgusting experience based on strong emotions and immersion in a character that just won't let you go. It's more of an artistic experience than a traditional game.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 10 / 10
An exceptionally well realized portrayal of Senua's struggle both real and praying on her fears, with brutal and satisfying combat and puzzles that require you to appreciate the world. It successfully continues what the first game started and improves upon almost every aspect.

Seasoned Gaming - Ainsley Bowden - 9 / 10
Senua's Saga is a journey unlike any other. It's fantastical, evocative, and demonstrative of Ninja Theory being masters of their craft.

Slant Magazine - Justin Clark - 3.5 / 5
The newest chapter in Senua’s story is powerfully told but feels like it’s missing a few pages.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.6 / 10
Senua's Saga is as strong as its predecessor, if not more, and delivers both in its storytelling and on the technical side. The gameplay, however, has still a lot of room for improvements and boils down to almost-QTE combat and boring puzzles. An experience more than an actual and so-called video game, but an experience worth living nonetheless.

Stevivor - Jay Ball - 9.5 / 10
Senua’s Saga Hellblade 2 is a video game only on its surface. Scratch that away and you’ll see that it’s a deep, thought-provoking, interactive experience proving games are an art form that demands skill and talent. Ninja Theory should be very proud.

TechRaptor - Robert Scarpinito - 7.5 / 10
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II features intense audio, beautiful graphics, and wonderful camera work, creating a powerful presentation that’s worth experiencing. However, the narrative doesn’t quite stick the landing.

The Escapist - Unscored
Video Review - Quote not available

The Outerhaven Productions - Jordan Andow - 5 / 5
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II sets a new bar for performances and presentation. Combined with smart improvements to gameplay, it is arguably the most cinematic, immersive, story-driven experience we’ve ever seen.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - Unscored
Just like its forbear, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II is an oppressive, powerful and haunting example of the power of video games, and one that sets its own parameters for what a digital experience can be. It is a game that must be experienced, not least because, there’s nothing else quite like it.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 10 / 10
What Ninja Theory has achieved transcends reality, creating a work that is practically perfect for what it aimed to be: an audiovisual adventure with a strong narrative component. Beyond state-of-the-art graphics and sound that will undoubtedly set a standard in the coming years, what truly astonishes is the maturity with which the team has taken an excellent game like the first Hellblade and molded it into something so qualitatively impressive that it becomes difficult to even describe. This elevates the medium to a new communicative level, capable of evoking emotions and surprising players from start to finish. Experiences like Hellblade 2, which leave a lasting impression on the soul, are few and far between in a generation, and we can only rejoice in seeing how the beautiful artistic vision of the Ninja Theory team has become a reality.

Too Much Gaming - Carlos Hernandez - 5 / 5
Hellblade 2 feels like a living, breathing shapeshifter, manipulating its surroundings around the player with precision and consistency, making it one of the most visually stunning video games of this generation. This is an amazing title that carefully balances its artistic and gaming ambitions, a masterpiece that I encourage any gamer to experience.

TrueGaming - عمر العمودي - Arabic - 8 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a technical achievement for the gaming industry, the visuals are impressive and realistic in a way we haven't seen before and the audio design is very impressive. The game itself though, we think it could've offered more as puzzles are repetitive and combat is quite limited. However, the storytelling is strong in this chapter of Senua's journey, though it feels heavy and depressing.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 6 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is an achievement in visual fidelity but fails to define itself amid clumsy retreads and unengaging new ideas.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 7 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is a beautiful but ultimately hollow game. The fantastic presentation props up a story that is less personal and engaging than in the first game, and the gameplay feels like an afterthought. It was great to see Senua again and to see her outside of the grief-misery she was enveloped in during the first game, but beyond that, there's not much to Hellblade II. It's a short and less memorable experience that shows off Ninja Theory's visual craft to its fullest - but it achieves little else.

Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 90%
While Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 might not set any new standards with its simplistic gameplay mechanics, from an audio-visual experience standpoint, it's frankly quite a stunning experience. Hellblade 2 is as close to playing the leading role in a big budget movie as you’re likely to get, and Ninja Theory’s continued coverage on the complexities of severe mental health issues deserves to be commended once more. Bravo, Ninja Theory. Bravo.

XboxEra - Jon Clarke - 10 / 10
Despite the backing of a company as large and as well-funded as Microsoft, Ninja Theory have, in my opinion, nurtured their independent spirit and kept it well and truly alive in every facet of Senua's Saga: Hellblade II. It's brutal. It's breath-taking. It's brilliant. If this is “Independent AAA”?
Sign me up for more.

ZdobywcyGier.eu - Bartosz Michalik - Polish - 9.5 / 10
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II is undoubtedly one of the best games of this year. Not only does it shine in terms of audio-visual setting, but also in terms of story. The only element that could be considered caveat is at the same time its greatest asset, namely cinematography. Sometimes one gets the impression that the developers, in an effort to achieve the best possible effect, had to make a lot of compromises, which significantly limited the gameplay possibilities. Nevertheless, for a great narrative and immersion, this is something to turn a blind eye to.

Last edited:
Also gonna be wild seeing her be like over her past trauma and take the fight to the Vikings. Lets go all Ellie on them.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
First got an 81, so I'm assuming more or less the same. My biggest knock was the puzzles were super basic and the combat was really bland hack and slash. Still enjoyed the game, but that would have knocked my personal score for it if the game were longer. Given that there's been no talk of improving that, I figure low 80s again. Looks absolutely next gen via the trailers though.

phaedrus

I played the first one in SteamVR.
After half hour of those "binaural" internal voices, I thought to myself: do I really want to get into the headspace of a crazy chick?
My own internal voice replied NO YOU DON'T, so uninstalled it. 🤷‍♂️

Looks like they're doubling down on the binaural voices, so I guess she wasn't cured after the first game?

Chiggs

Gold Member
I played the first one in SteamVR.
After half hour of those "binaural" internal voices, I thought to myself: do I really want to get into the headspace of a crazy chick?
My own internal voice replied NO YOU DON'T, so uninstalled it. 🤷‍♂️

Looks like they're doubling down on the binaural voices, so I guess she wasn't cured after the first game?

Same here. I couldn't even get two hours into the first one. Their loss.

I was think high 70s low 80s.

but the way they have talk about the game, no actual uninterrumped gameplay, stinky marketing.... and most importantly... a review embargo just 1 hour before launch.

I'm thinking high 60s low 70s.

I'm predicting 90 flat.

It will be in the GOTY conversation at the end of the year.

If this wasn't on Gamepass, 75% wouldn't even buy it until a huge sale. Especially with the new rumor that it takes 7 hours for a 100% playthrough with all collectables. This game is going to get obliterated in the reviews. Biggest problem is that people are expecting an AAA game but it was never a AAA game in the first place. But people are so hungry for a new AAA from MS that they will have highest expectations when this game never meant to reach them and will be scored according to that which is just going to ruin its score.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If this wasn't on Gamepass, 75% wouldn't even buy it until a huge sale. Especially with the new rumor that it takes 7 hours for a 100% playthrough with all collectables. This game is going to get obliterated in the reviews.

Where do you guys keep coming up with these rumors? At least share your sources.

It's also not a $70 game.

If this wasn't on Gamepass, 75% wouldn't even buy it until a huge sale. Especially with the new rumor that it takes 7 hours for a 100% playthrough with all collectables. This game is going to get obliterated in the reviews.

Wow, 7 what? I don't want to turn this thread into a console war pissing match but that's similar to The Order 1886 which was an 'interesting' experience. Didn't finish it cause it bored me to tears less than a 1/4 of the way through.

Wow, 7 what? I don't want to turn this thread into a console war pissing match but that's similar to The Order 1886 which was an 'interesting' experience. Didn't finish it cause it bored me to tears less than a 1/4 of the way through.

Oh I got both PS5 and XsX so no console war here, I'm just stating people are over expecting and unfortunately so are the reviewers and they will mostly base the review as a AAA game which it never was. Its the same as the first one, an indie game with nicer graphics. I think The Order had the same problem even in its short length because everything was so repetitive and so is here so even if its only that long, you do feel worn out from lack of variety.

adamsapple adamsapple

NDA but you will find out soon enough ;) Anyway yeah its not $70 but even at $50. Again, dont worry nobody is spending $50, we all have gamepass so it hurts less.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

If the reviewer knows what they are getting into and like that it will score mid to high 80, if they go in blind thinking its a heady god of war it could be as low as mid 60s.

Oh I got both PS5 and XsX so no console war here, I'm just stating people are over expecting and unfortunately so are the reviewers and they will mostly base the review as a AAA game which it never was. Its the same as the first one, an indie game with nicer graphics.

adamsapple adamsapple

NDA but you will find out soon enough ;) Anyway yeah its not $70 but even at $40. Again, dont worry nobody is spending $40, we all have gamepass so it hurts less.

Oh I know about the first. I played a bit of the first one and kinda enjoyed it however didn't get to finishing the game. I thought with the 2nd one they would expand on the world they created in the first. Bigger and better in every way possible.

The reviews are going to be interesting for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Just finished replaying the first one. Some of the puzzles were meh but the rest of the game was fantastic. Also the first time I tried it with the “enriched” visual setting on Series X, game was goddamn beautiful.

A lot of people compare it to The Order but the Odin Trials and Fenrir boss fight alone are deeper and better designed than anything in the entirety of that full priced turd.

I’ll go low 80’s if it’s as good as the first one. But who knows, really.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
A lot of people compare it to The Order but the Odin Trials and Fenrir boss fight alone are deeper and better designed than anything in the entirety of that full priced turd.
Order was glorified full price tech demo, it type of demo you see E3 conference to show off graphical engine rather than being proper game.

Sacred

If this wasn't on Gamepass, 75% wouldn't even buy it until a huge sale. Especially with the new rumor that it takes 7 hours for a 100% playthrough with all collectables. This game is going to get obliterated in the reviews. Biggest problem is that people are expecting an AAA game but it was never a AAA game in the first place. But people are so hungry for a new AAA from MS that they will have highest expectations when this game never meant to reach them and will be scored according to that which is just going to ruin its score.
They have said 10-12 hours in interviews, where do you get these numbers. This is just categorically false.

Straight 79 when the dust has settled. Though it will still get a boost for being unique, it no longer has the novelty that carried the first one. It will all depend on how much Ninja Theory has improved its gameplay. I fear they are going to go overboard on the hallucinations and imagery though, since they got a huge budget.

T4keD0wN

Mid 80s

I suspect itll do very well with the critics since they like this kind of games, but i doubt players and accountants will like it as much.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

It cant break mid to high 8's with graphics / girl with mental issues story alone. It should land around 79 - 82 .

Last edited:
Top Bottom