• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTAIV PS3 Bundle in Europe?

Rhindle

acm2000 said:
no comment is the same thing you will get for anything

even if it is real, so what? it will probably be more than standard 40gb price, and you can get 360 deals with gta4 for free thanks to retailers, the gt5p bundle was an awful deal for example, since you could get a ps3 with 2 whole games and an extra joypad for the same price
I don't think it's so much the attractiveness of the deal, as it is the brand association. It would cement the perception that GTA is a Playstation franchise.

I have no idea if this is real. If it is, and there is no equivalent 360 bundle, someone needs to march into Redmond with buckets of cold water and liberally dispense them on peoples' heads.

Ploid 3.0

I wish I held out on my other PS3 for a few more months for this. Although I love the mess out of motorstorm single player. Mp is awesome but I swore to finish golding all tickets before getting serious in MP. Who ever held out got a treat.

acm2000

Firewire said:
Somehow I think if it was an MS bundle you'd be singing a different tune about it right now.

why? official bundles are always a bad deal, retailer bundles are much better

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Doc Evils said:
Girlonbike.jpg

nice.

Since the girl has a nametag on her, I take it that we have custom avatars for online play?

:D

acm2000 said:
why? official bundles are always a bad deal, retailer bundles are much better

I don't know, it is my experience that official bundles are better than retailer bundles.

Of course, my experiences consist of Best Buy "bundles"

Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't know, it is my experience that official bundles are better than retailer bundles.

Of course, my experiences consist of Best Buy "bundles"

I don't know about all of Europe, but it seems that in the UK that most people buy systems in retailer bundles, all year round. However, it also seems that said retailer bundles are way better deals than the occasional retailer bundles we see here in the states.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I don't know about all of Europe, but it seems that in the UK that most people buy systems in retailer bundles, all year round. However, it also seems that said retailer bundles are way better deals than the occasional retailer bundles we see here in the states.

Yep. Most States Bundles only exist to gouge the consumer at times of shortage.

Hcoregamer00

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yep. Most States Bundles only exist to gouge the consumer at times of shortage.

Hence why whenever I see someone saying retailer bundles are better than official bundles, I wince.

I guess it is part of the American experience :lol

beermonkey@tehbias said:
However, it also seems that said retailer bundles are way better deals than the occasional retailer bundles we see here in the states.

The retailer bundles here suck. They typically make you buy a package consisting of the console, 2 games, an extra controller, and some other superfluous item for a savings of $10-20 off retail pricing of the items individually. At least that's what Costco was offering for X360's launch.

WinFonda

Hellraizer said:
No way, coming in second, even if making a loss again is more important. Because your second on a virtual podium.
Virtual podiums are serious business man. We're gamers. We don't like to lose.

Ranger X

Dunlop said:
I'm lost at what you are going for here. The picture on the box will sell so many units that the PS3 will now be able to sell as many copies as the 360? Not likey to happen to put it mildly. There is the $199 arcade and the DLC working for the 360, maybe more hardware units will move for the PS3 but it's not like the 360 will suddenly stop selling

Why would a bundle affect current PS3 owners? They are going to buy it or not regardless of the outcome of this.

What it does is helps Sony's momentum in Europe (specifically UK), which over time if MS does not counter will give the conclusion that you are coming to. But we are talking over a much longer period of time.

Just an example. Motorstorm sold millions of copies. Why? Because it was bundled. If it wasn't bundled it might have received half the sales its having right now.
GTA4 being in bundle with the PS3 will greatly increase GTA4 PS3 version sales.

Now, DLC never really sold a game. It's not a major incentive. Halo3 would have sold just as many copies DLC or not DLC. Same applies with GTA4. The DLC will not generate more sales for GTA4 360 version.

Also, your point of Sony momentum in Europe is another factor than of influence. Other big games in the same quarter are also influencing. So if you add together the push of the bundling + Sony's momentum + other games (Prologue and MGS4) that are system sellers, the sales of GTA4 PS3 might come closer to the 360 version thank some of you think.

Without incentives ^^, i'd say GTA4 could sell as much as 60% more on 360. If all those incentives up there are factored, i wouldn't be surprised the gap would reduce to something the likes of 20-25%.

MS is doing a service to gamers. By "allowing" (wat) a PS3 bundle they are letting the folks of Sonyland run wild and continue to spread derangement on the interweb, which is pretty much Europe's biggest export. YET ANOTHER AMERICAN COMPANY SUCKED INTO GLOBALIZATION.

Hcoregamer00

Ranger X said:
Just an example. Motorstorm sold millions of copies. Why? Because it was bundled. If it wasn't bundled it might have received half the sales its having right now.
GTA4 being in bundle with the PS3 will greatly increase GTA4 PS3 version sales.

Now, DLC never really sold a game. It's not a major incentive. Halo3 would have sold just as many copies DLC or not DLC. Same applies with GTA4. The DLC will not generate more sales for GTA4 360 version.

Also, your point of Sony momentum in Europe is another factor than of influence. Other big games in the same quarter are also influencing. So if you add together the push of the bundling + Sony's momentum + other games (Prologue and MGS4) that are system sellers, the sales of GTA4 PS3 might come closer to the 360 version thank some of you think.

Without incentives ^^, i'd say GTA4 could sell as much as 60% more on 360. If all those incentives up there are factored, i wouldn't be surprised the gap would reduce to something the likes of 20-25%.

Interesting theory, I agree on some level since you are talking about Europe.

In the USA, it will be far more lopsided.

Son of Godzilla said:
MS is doing a service to gamers. By "allowing" (wat) a PS3 bundle they are letting the folks of Sonyland run wild and continue to spread derangement on the interweb, which is pretty much Europe's biggest export. YET ANOTHER AMERICAN COMPANY SUCKED INTO GLOBALIZATION.

:lol :lol

Great post

Jim

justjohn said:
isnt there a law in the US that states you cant bundle 18 rated games? maybe i read wrong.

God of War PSP bundle is M.

And while I haven't heard from Sony yet, I HAVE heard from some people in the Euro distribution channel who have corroborated that it's a real bundle. No other info yet. So it's of course not "official".

Ranger X said:

I still think you're wrong. There's no precedent for this. Why would more maps sell a game?

No one knows how heavily the DLC will be marketed. No one knows how popular a character like Niko Bellic might become. If this DLC is narrative based and continues his story, it could very well generate more sales for the 360 version, long term.

The only thing even remotely close to this in precedent is Mass Effect's DLC, and I think we can all agree that it's a game without the same level of appeal as GTA.

GTA is, I'd say inarguably, the best selling narrative driven franchise in Video Gaming today. As much as people love to just dick around in the city, what really gets people excited and amped up are these flash trailers hinting at the crime saga.

If DLC adds another chapter to that saga, I think it will definitely be extremely popular. Again, there's no precedent for this. Half Life E1 and 2 were all released as stand alone games and, I'm sure, did very well.

Truly episodic content on this scale of popularity has not been attempted before. I think any claims as to its lack of appeal are wildly premature.

Hcoregamer00

Jim said:

And while I haven't heard from Sony yet, I HAVE heard from some people in the Euro distribution channel who have corroborated that it's a real bundle. No other info yet. So it's of course not "official".

Holy Shit

You are the man for getting us this information.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I still think you're wrong. There's no precedent for this. Why would more maps sell a game?

No one knows how heavily the DLC will be marketed. No one knows how popular a character like Niko Bellic might become. If this DLC is narrative based and continues his story, it could very well generate more sales for the 360 version, long term.

The only thing even remotely close to this in precedent is Mass Effect's DLC, and I think we can all agree that it's a game without the same level of appeal as GTA.

GTA is, I'd say inarguably, the best selling narrative driven franchise in Video Gaming today. As much as people love to just dick around in the city, what really gets people excited and amped up are these flash trailers hinting at the crime saga.

If DLC adds another chapter to that saga, I think it will definitely be extremely popular. Again, there's no precedent for this. Half Life E1 and 2 were all released as stand alone games and, I'm sure, did very well.

Truly episodic content on this scale of popularity has not been attempted before. I think any claims as to its lack of appeal are wildly premature.

Hence why I am not touching the DLC debate with a ten foot pole.

There is no precedent on this level, and GTA4 will basically be the standard to compare to.

Firewire said:
So are we at 75% confirmed now?

As far I as am concerned, it is real, but then it is hush hush.

Firewire

Banned
Jim said:

So are we at 75% confirmed now?

pvpness

Ranger X said:
Now, DLC never really sold a game. It's not a major incentive.
Really? I can tell you that I've had quite a few people coming in to buy the Rock Band bundle for 360 like crazy ever since they announced that the Wii version wouldn't have DLC. I know because I ask. I ask because I'm interested as to why they're buying it so late. Bizarre to not sell a RB bundle for 3 months and then to go out of stock within a week...

I'd say DLC being a major incentive is based on the game it's being released for.

k79

Banned
Jim said:

:O

Now all we need is a price confirmation :p

jmd494

Jim said:

What do those same sources say about a potential 360 bundle?

gkryhewy

Jim said:

Any word from your contacts on a US bundle for either system?

h3ro

Jim said:

Whoever submits this to N4G or any other "gaming news" site better give you and GAF credit... Interweb street-cred is no joke...

Doc Evils

Jim said:

GAFATON!

Hcoregamer00

gkrykewy said:
Any word from your contacts on a US bundle for either system?

I bet a USA bundle will be post-release, not unless this GTA4 bundle will have a simultaneous announcement coming up very quickly.

It is possible, very possible.

It doesn't affect me as a PS3 owner, but it does excite me that Sony is being aggressive in pushing GTA4. Even if it is in Europe.

h3ro said:
Whoever submits this to N4G or any other "gaming news" site better give you and GAF credit... Interweb street-cred is no joke...

This is the internet, Jim will be plagiarized and no one will give him credit.

At least he will get the respect and props in this thread.

Jim

h3ro said:

This story is not new... it's been on sites already. The BOX art is new.

justjohn said:
if rayne is right, then this bundle will be ps3 exclusive.

In Europe.

(I'm not saying there will be any 360 bundles in other regions, I'm only stating that Rayne said he can't speak to the situation in other regions)

keyrat

Someone else in this thread said they worked at Argos and it showed up in their system.

With that high-res image being found, I think there's really no denying the existence of this thing.

Hcoregamer00

Choke on the Magic said:
Yeah you're right. An 80gb MGS4 bundle w/DS3 sounds like a shit deal.:lol

We already gone over that, it is more of a cultural thing on how retailers view console bundles.

In America it is a huge screw job trying to make the most money
In Europe they actually offer a good value compared to official stuff
In Japan, I have no idea because I am not familiar with how the retail bundling works

beermonkey@tehbias said:
In Europe.

(I'm not saying there will be any 360 bundles in other regions, I'm only stating that Rayne said he can't speak to the situation in other regions)

Yup, this is a huge statement.

I said it earlier, that this could likely be a European thing only and MS has exclusive bundling rights in the states.

Who knows.

At least with this announcement, MS will be forced to to show their hand much earlier than expected.

Dunlop

Justin Dailey said:
Jim,

What is your insider position? I know you get reliable insider info a lot but what is your position?

Wouldn't that kind of hurt his ability to get insider information?

Hcoregamer00 said:
In America it is a huge screw job trying to make the most money

I wouldn't call the US MGS4 bundle a screw job, it does include bigger HDD + hot game + DS3 controller.

I do consider it a bit of a screw job that there's no sign yet of 40GB systems with DS3 packed in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:

I think the closest historical precedent, though it is imperfect likely because of differences in marketing presentation, are the 'Stories' expansions of Liberty City and Vice City. I think people have been suggesting the DLC will expand on IV in similar ways.

Both of those were on PS2, available to the original purchasers of GTA3 et al. I'm sure they sold decently (?), but they were never held out as essential, must-have experiences. I'm sure many many many - most? - GTA players were perfectly happy to pass them up.

Of course, the trick for Microsoft's marketing department is to ensure the same isn't thought of with the DLC. That's a marketing issue though..it doesn't change the substance of the product (the DLC). Of course, even if only a small fraction of the 360 purchasers pick up the DLC, it'll still pull big numbers.

Mind you, this is OT..

cilonen

Justin Dailey said:
Jim,

What is your insider position? I know you get reliable insider info a lot but what is your position?

He's kind of like Jean Reno during the opening hit of 'Leon'. Props Jim.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
I wouldn't call the US MGS4 bundle a screw job, it does include bigger HDD + hot game + DS3 controller.

I do consider it a bit of a screw job that there's no sign yet of 40GB systems with DS3 packed in.

Let's not forget BC which "is" important.

Choke on the Magic said:
Let's not forget BC which "is" important.

Oh, yeah. The BC. $100 for DS3 upgrade + bigger HDD + hot game + BC? Not a bad deal. Actually it makes the 40GB look like a Tard Pack.

jmd494

Dunlop said:
Wouldn't that kind of hurt his ability to get insider information?

Almost everything he posts relates to his official contact with Sony PR people and it authorized "insider" information.

Jim

Justin Dailey said:
Jim,

I'm nosy and know a lot of PR types. And I get myself in trouble for exposing too much sometimes :)

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I like how so many threads can start out different and end up exactly the same. :lol
Agreed. I haven't seen any confirmation of either a 299 pound price point or a North American equivalent, so get off the schneid until something official comes down the pipe, people.

CONSOLE WARZ

Jim said:
I get myself in trouble for exposing too much sometimes :)
2770997084_TV_CHRIS_HANSENx.jpg

Hcoregamer00

bishoptl said:
Agreed. I haven't seen any confirmation of either a 299 pound price point or a North American equivalent, so get off the schneid until something official comes down the pipe, people.

When did this 299 pound price point start?

The first time I saw it was in this thread.

Top Bottom