• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone iPad Rollout Begins (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, elsewhere "soon")

GeeDuhb

Again, for those of you complaining about it not being launched in the US, ANYONE can download and play this. The only requirement is that you make an iTunes account for one of the locations that the app has been released. I have compiled a list of instructions:

Steps to creating an Australian (or other country) iTunes account

1. Open iTunes
  2. Log out of your existing account
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the main page
  4. On the bottom right there is a “bubble” the contains the country of the flag for the store you are currently in. Click it.
  5. Select Australia (or other contry you want to create the store for) under “Asia Pacific”
  6. When the page refreshes,click “App Store” at the top, find a free app, and attempt to download it (This is very important to not have it prompt you for a credit card!)
  7. When the sign in window pops up, click create Apple ID
  8. Agree to the terms and what not, and proceed through the sign up screens
  9. When it asks you for a credit card, there should be a “None” box, so use that and complete the signup
  10. You should now be able to log in and find and Download Hearthstone!

And no, you don't need to use an international Battle.net account to play it

Majine

Banned
Erhm, I just moved to Sydney ;) and Hearthstone looks just like on the PC. I thought they would have to take out some of the animations, but nope. It looks glorious on the retina screen.

If there is one thing... it's obviously designed for the larger iPad. Things are not as roomy on the Mini, but it is by no means unplayable.

zychi

Banned
Again, for those of you complaining about it not being launched in the US, ANYONE can download and play this. The only requirement is that you make an iTunes account for one of the locations that the app has been released. I have compiled a list of instructions:

Steps to creating an Australian (or other country) iTunes account

1. Open iTunes
  2. Log out of your existing account
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the main page
  4. On the bottom right there is a “bubble” the contains the country of the flag for the store you are currently in. Click it.
  5. Select Australia (or other contry you want to create the store for) under “Asia Pacific”
  6. When the page refreshes,click “App Store” at the top, find a free app, and attempt to download it (This is very important to not have it prompt you for a credit card!)
  7. When the sign in window pops up, click create Apple ID
  8. Agree to the terms and what not, and proceed through the sign up screens
  9. When it asks you for a credit card, there should be a “None” box, so use that and complete the signup
  10. You should now be able to log in and find and Download Hearthstone!

And no, you don't need to use an international Battle.net account to play it
i dont see the "none" option. any help?

zychi

Banned
Did you try to purchase a free app? If you don't do that to initiate the sign up, the "None" option wont be there

yep, one of those fake free flappy birds

i managed to get the game on my ipad without making the account. thanks anyways

Robin64

You'll want to download it from your real iTunes account when it goes live instead, mind, and delete this one. Reason being, it won't let you use your real iTunes account to buy packs because the app was from another account.

GeeDuhb

yep, one of those fake free flappy birds

Hmmmmm...I went through the process to make one to get the steps for my post, and I didn't click on an app the first time and didn't get the none option. I did it again, but trying to get a free app and the option was there. Again, this was only tested on the Australian (not Austrian, too ;P ) store, so if you are using another country, that could be why.

epmode

I created an Australian account but I still can't find the game in the Apple app store. Can someone post a link to the app itself?

Minsc

Gold Member
For general Hearthstone questions and gameplay discussion, be sure to ask in the |OT|! People there are very helpful, and will give good information to new people starting out.

Great seeing it launch, even if it's just a few regions. Hopefully like the PC/Mac version the rest of the regions will follow in a couple days.

Majine

Banned
Aww yeah, first game online.

iXNSRep41lvJy.PNG

Nerokis

I don't have an iPad, but this makes it so tempting to pick one up. Probably the first time a video game has ever acted as a tablet (or smart device, period!) seller for me.

I don't have an iPad, but this makes it so tempting to pick one up. Probably the first time a video game has ever acted as a tablet (or smart device, period!) seller for me.

If you already have an android/iphone you can just wait a few months and it'll be ported there.

GeeDuhb

Woot! When you finish your first game on the iPad, you finish a quest called "iPack" and you get a free pack!

br3wnor

Well I now see why the iPad 3 is a piece of shit.. The game is so slow it's almost unplayable on mine.

Sad, really :(

Ah man I hope this isn't the case, I will forever curse the day I bought one of these for the shiny retina instead of waiting 6 more months

GeeDuhb

Any impressions? Is this the 'high' setting? Is it 60 fps on new stuff?

Can you fight AI offline?

So far (and these are impressions from an original iPad Mini...I will try it on my iPad 3 when I get home) it runs surprisingly well. It is honestly very close to how it plays on my 2008 MacBook Pro. I get some stutters here and there and the frame rate sometimes drops for a few seconds, but for me, it is very playable.

And yes, offline AI is in.

GeeDuhb

No, it's online only.

(edit) or not? I was sure Blizz said that there is no offline mode... There are AI battles, but you have to be online.

OH, good point. I misunderstood the question. I see what you mean, yes, I do think you have to be logged in (via online) to play offline/AI...

Edit: Yeah, I just tested it because I happened to be playing a game vs AI. Turning on airplane mode disconnects you from the match, just as if you were to get disconnected from the internet on the desktop version.

kanuuna

I managed to download it using the instructions on the OP. Played a game, and it worked brilliant. The touch interface feels so good with this game - and the game looks just as good on my iPad 4 as it does on the PC. Couldn't ask for more at this point.

GeeDuhb

There isn't any offline AI because the game won't even load without an internet connection.

As an aside, I do have LTE on my iPad so I just tested playing a game online and it worked SEAMLESSLY. Very impressive. This is going to bode amazingly for the iPhone version when it comes out.

Majine

Banned
OH, good point. I misunderstood the question. I see what you mean, yes, I do think you have to be logged in (via online) to play offline/AI...

Edit: Yeah, I just tested it because I happened to be playing a game vs AI. Turning on airplane mode disconnects you from the match, just as if you were to get disconnected from the internet on the desktop version.

What. Oh, that's disappointing. No hearthstone on the train then? (Unless you tether to your phone I guess).

br3wnor

Thanks for the instructions, got this baby working on an iPad 3.

IT runs pretty good! Not silky smooth but absolutely playable, this is incredible, my time at the gym/shitter/couch is forever changed

GeeDuhb

I managed to download it using the instructions on the OP. Played a game, and it worked brilliant. The touch interface feels so good with this game - and the game looks just as good on my iPad 4 as it does on the PC. Couldn't ask for me at this point.

Completely agree. The way they implemented touch to view cards on the board, review the "play" history on the right side, and select cards to apply battlecries/spell powers to feels great. And for it to be less than 500MB and seemingly be this optimized? Well done Blizzard.

Majine

Banned
I think that still kinda ruins it tho. I never thought about Blizzards always-online because all the Blizzard games are on my always connected PC, but now... they could've atleast had a "No-concequences offline practice mode" or something.

rcl66

Once you create a Canadian account and download it you can switch back to you us account for the store right.? So I can keep making iap and purchases without switching back and forth.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think that still kinda ruins it tho. I never thought about Blizzards always-online because all the Blizzard games are on my always connected PC, but now... they could've atleast had a "No-concequences offline practice mode" or something.

Playing the AI is the opposite of practice, it will only teach you bad habits.

Top Bottom