• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour DLC [3 packs, 2 x 18 holes ea., New Chars, Day 1, Season Pass]

Just a few days ago some posters were praising Nintendo because they didn't do micro transactions and season passes. Well. Nintendo finally stepping up. Smart move.

I bet if the PR statement never referred to this 3 packs discount deal as a "season pass" we wouldn't even be here.

NeonZ

Fire Emblem Awakening hasn't already done that?

There were discounted prices for buying the maps in packs of three, rather than individually, but there wasn't a large pack covering everything.

It also had day one DLC, although it was free during the first month.

Basically this. People want cheaper games, welp its $10 cheaper but with an additional 108 holes and 3 characters for $15 more.

If you bitched about Nintendo games being too expensive, this is on you. Welcome to the future you created.

No. This is because Nintendo realized FINALLY all of the money it was leaving on the table. Smart decision by the company. Has nothing to do with any folks for bitching so stop.

jonno394

I sure as shit did not. This game just went from a probably to a maybe for me.

I dont get this mentality. Up until an hour ago you were happy to buy a game that was COMPLETE at 10 courses with 120+ holes, but now DLC is announced that expands on this, the game somehow loses value?

When I buy a game, I want all of it. Isn't that a sentiment other people share?

Thing is, when it's not so easy to just buy a whole game.. walk into a store and buy it, and get the entire experience possible (until maybe a 6 month later expansion), they can just fuck right off with it, because I'm not screwing around with that.

I don't even care if it's additional content over an already meaty game release.. not even messing with it.

Nibel

Nintendo finally embracing modern standards

This is what we all wanted
p0QHO.gif

beta_fuse

I don't have a problem with this at all. Still day one purchase and even more excited for what Nintendo has in store for future games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DLC is an absolutely fine concept when priced right and conservative Nintendo exclusive gamers will come to understand and appreciate this if Nintendo doesn't screw over their customers. $15 for 108 holes across six "courses" alongside new characters sounds fine to me. Less fine if (when) the price is hiked locally on my end of the world. But affordable nonetheless, with what sounds like a lot of content.

As Valve has argued many games are better suited to "services" instead of isolated products. Games like Mario Golf perfectly fit this, evolving in available content for the end user instead of locked to content with a single release, the only alternative to release entirely new bulk versions of the games. Content evolution from a single product instead of endless sequels. The balance that must be struck is content in the initial release with affordability and perceived value of upgrades/expansion/DLC. But it can and, under the right leadership, should be done.

For example, much like Mario Golf give me a Mario Kart that has me playing new tracks with new characters, with my friends locally and online, 12+ months after release. Keep me coming back. Keep evolving the product.

I really hope the courses are new, and not just remixes of existing assets.

I would also accept one new course, and one classic course from the Cube game in each pack.

Chindogg

No. This is because Nintendo realized FINALLY all of the money it was leaving on the table. Smart decision by the company. Has nothing to do with any folks for bitching so stop.

This isn't the first time they've toyed with DLC. This is the first time they've discounted a game then had day 1 DLC with a season pass.

The correlation may not lead to causation, but its a bit too strong to ignore.

All that said, practically creating a whole new game with 3 new characters on top of it for $15 is perfectly fine by me. NSLU was an awesome value for what it was.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you can't beat them, join them. If people don't wan't to pay Nintendo money the usual way (you know - full priced games and consoles), they must offer what people are paying money for.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
JoeM86, are you okay with Iwata understanding the current, warped version of the gaming industry "with focus on microtransactions, subscriptions etc. and entertainment features"?

If anything this is the Season Pass done right. Nintendo is telling you upfront what you're getting with the season pass. It seems like a lot of the time you'll see a SP announced and they won't actually specifically say what you're getting with it. You're just gambling that it's something worth that money.

BowieZ

Banned
If you can't beat them, join them. If people don't wan't to pay Nintendo money the usual way (you know - full priced games and consoles), they must offer what people are paying money for.

If anything this is the Season Pass done right. Nintendo is telling you upfront what you're getting with the season pass. It seems like a lot of the time you'll see a SP announced and they won't actually specifically say what you're getting with it. You're just gambling that it's something worth that money.
Good points. I don't think this is a black and white situation here.

Shinta

Banned
So the full game is $45.

Nabbit AND Rosalina? I guess I am part of the problem, because I am definitely picking up that shit.

Gaming community begs Nintendo to get with the times.

Gaming community flips out when Nintendo gets with the times.
Yeah, remember that time the "gaming community" begged and pleaded for Nintendo to get with the times by making their games F2P and filling them with paywalls and microtransactions?

Me neither.

RoadDogg

They would have been better off making the base game full price and selling the DLC for $5. Not to mention waiting a bit before releasing it. Day 1 Course DLC in a golf game is pretty pointless because you should be playing the base game first anyway. I have no interest at all in any of the characters but I will probably cave and buy it for the courses if they are good. They should really put out some screens for them. I hope they are all over the top crazy Mario themed things.

Randdalf

Well I'd say that's pretty good value compared to some other DLC packs that cost the same price as all three of these put together and offer less than a third of the content available in the main game *cough* Call of Duty *cough*.

So based on this, is Smash Bros stages and DLC characters pretty much confirmed? Depending on how good they are I might be tempted to buy some (especially if they are Zelda, Metroid or some ridiculously Niche series related - Captain rainbow et al)

Pretty sure they've said Smash will have no DLC characters, correct me if I'm wrong.

RiggyRob

I like this experiment- they'll get a good idea of whether pricing a game for cheaper release and adding DLC to it afterwards makes a better overall profit, people who want just the game benefit from the cheaper price and people who want everything get a discount on the DLC. If it works, keep trying it in the future, if not, scrap it and go back to the way things were.

Occam

I don't disagree that this is not the bad kind of DLC (except for being day-1), but unfortunately it tends to go downhill from there. And once this door is open they'll never close it again. This is how it begins. Expect DLC characters in Brawl and Mario Kart next (=the bad kind of DLC).

Still day 1! Idk if I will buy that season pass but atleast yoi can actually sample what your gonna buy. Everybody needs to do that. I cant remember how many map packs I hated and wish I never bought.

Dicer

Banned
Nintendo finally embracing modern standards

This is what we all wanted
p0QHO.gif

No, it's not....

"Modern Standards" are a way to milk extra cash and not a benefit for the gamer...

I am sad to see Nintendo joining the bandwagon on this one.

Xav

Mario Golf DLC - No problem.

Season Pass offer - No problem.

Day one DLC - Go fuck yourselves Nintendo.

Chindogg

JoeM86, are you okay with Iwata understanding the current, warped version of the gaming industry "with focus on microtransactions, subscriptions etc. and entertainment features"?

If you're gonna try to burn someone, at least wait til they post in the thread. This just looks petty.

Hasney

Yeah, everyone said they should take pages from the other console manufacturers regarding online things... NOT LIKE THIS NINTENDO. Can I bribe Toad to get them cheaper? Day 1 DLC is just shitty. I could maybe understand cart size or something like that, but I bet it's just an unlock code. Even if it was a cart size issue, Nintendo should have given the Day 1 shit to digital purchasers for using their horribly overpriced eShop in the first place.

I would happily fork over cash for extra Mario Kart 8 tracks. :(

Yeah, if they said "We'll eventually release every single track from previous MK games, just buy the season pass!" I'd feel powerless to resist.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Nintendo will also offer Trial Tournaments for consumers interested in trying out a sample of the downloadable courses before deciding to purchase. Consumers who own the game and download the Trial Pack will be able to participate in these online tournaments.

Basically, If I understand this right. It would led me to believe that people who don't have downloadable contents would able to participating online tournaments with new courses without splitting the online bases into two different groups. If it's so, then Nintendo have done it RIGHT that many companies never did. I meant companies have released many docs that would split the fan bases into half for online features.

DLC is an absolutely fine concept when priced right and conservative Nintendo exclusive gamers will come to understand and appreciate this if Nintendo doesn't screw over their customers. $15 for 108 holes across six "courses" alongside new characters sounds fine to me. Less fine if (when) the price is hiked locally on my end of the world. But affordable nonetheless, with what sounds like a lot of content.

As Valve has argued many games are better suited to "services" instead of isolated products. Games like Mario Golf perfectly fit this, evolving in available content for the end user instead of locked to content with a single release, the only alternative to release entirely new bulk versions of the games. Content evolution from a single product instead of endless sequels. The balance that must be struck is content in the initial release with affordability and perceived value of upgrades/expansion/DLC. But it can and, under the right leadership, should be done.

For example, much like Mario Golf give me a Mario Kart that has me playing new tracks with new characters, with my friends locally and online, 12+ months after release. Keep me coming back. Keep evolving the product.

I definitely agreed with this.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Love it. Wish every Nintendo game had a season pass. Cannot get enough content.

I'm fine with the DLC, even if it's day 1, they had a budget for the main game, they had a budget for the DLC, I understand that.
I'm fine with the season pass too, they've announced exactly what it gets, not some vague promises, and it gets it at a discount, that's cool.

Rosalina being a DLC character though I am not ok with. I originally thought her exclusion was just some weird Waluigi in Mario Kart 7 situation that makes no sense, but being announced as a DLC character before the game's even out just screams cut content to me.
She's one of 5 playable characters in 3D World, she's one of 5 playable (Mario) characters in Smash Bros 4, she's part of the main Mario crew these days, there's no way she wasn't planned for the base game.

casiopao

Basically, If I understand this right. It would led me to believe that people who don't have downloadable contents would able to participating online tournaments with new courses without splitting the online bases into two different groups. If it's so, then Nintendo have done it RIGHT that many companies never did. I meant companies have released many docs that would split the fan bases into half for online features.

I definitely agreed with this.

Shhh u should let more rage here.

You make some good points. I probably won't by the DLC any time soon, but I may come back to it. I didn't intend to buy all the FEA, Pikmin 3, or NSMB2 content but over time I kept coming back and wanting more. I have almost all the content for all three games now and I regret nothing, because to me the content was worth it. Another 18 holes and a character for $7 might sound a little high to me right now, but in a month or two of playing, if the game is fun, I may change my mind.

Effect

Nintendo looking for ways to make more money and doing it wrong. :-(

Actually Nintendo's DLC (Fire Emblem, NSMBU and 2, Pikmin 3, Rusty's Real Deal Baseball) are an examples of doing it right. None of it has felt cheap and overpriced or as if it was pulled out of the game before release so they could sell it. This is why there hasn't been a backlash toward them for what they've done.

Been looking forward to Mario Gold for some time now and can't wait to play this. Just need to decide on physical or digital. This is the type of game I'd like always on my system.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm looking forward to the game but I haven't been on top of every bit of news that came out, are those DLC courses in new envirronments or are they re-using the ones present in the base-game?

Top Bottom