• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) October 2023: #1 Spider-Man 2 #2 Super Mario Wonder #3 AC Mirage; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, NSW #2 Units, XBS #2 Revenue

Thaimasker

Eh. thats the kind of mentality that got MS complacent and back firmly in last place. Brand recognition is fickle among casuals. Exclusives sell consoles. Its been proven time and time again. go look at how many consoles were sold in April 2008 when GTA4 came out. less than 200k each for both.

It's no surprise that Sony continued the momentum from year 4-7 for the PS4 while the xbox one literally crawled to a halt after a strong start as we can see here. Thats when their big hitters starting coming out one after another. Horizon, GT7, GOW, Spiderman, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 while Xbox after 2016 released two forza games and one gears game, and called it a day. No third party saved them. Not even RDR2 after GTA4 and 5 both sold better on the x360.

In short, they NEED the exclusives just like nintendo and xbox. they need them every year and they need them to be huge. not quirky stuff like hifi, returnal, ratchet, or deathloop.
GTA 4 sold 25 million
GTA 5 basically 200 million and has online. The franchise is on a completely different level now.
GTA 6 is gonna help the PS5/Pro way more than 4 did the PS3

Regardless, obviously they are still going to release big exclusives regardless.
I don't think Microsofts mentality was " we don't need exclusives" they just haven't been able to make the ones on the level of sony

Last edited:
Not quite. Anything PlayStation = bad. They'll leverage PC and Nintendo at random if it means taking digs at PlayStation.

But the really funny thing today has been seeing some of the Nintendo fanboys/fangirls get worked up over Spiderman 2 outselling Super Mario Wonder (and I'm sure, soon, it outscoring Super Mario RPG Remake on Metacritic). It's all good until a Nintendo game gets outdone in sales; that's when they start taking it personally 🤣
for phil spencer and the evangelizers nintendo is part of the xbox community

Sometimes when Nintendo beats Sony at something I see the Xbox community on Twitter posting images like this.

TYGtEb0.jpg

Top Bottom