• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SR388, new fan-made 2D Metroid looks jizztastic (Trailer inside!)

Chris R

Lawsuit in 3, 2, 1...

Sucks too because I would love to get a chance to play Metroid 2 again. Never did finish it.

Is it a direct remake of Metroid 2 or a re-imagining of Metroid 2?

a direct remake with pretty graphics isnt THAT appealing. Did look nice, but yeah.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I might clarify: Because it was on SR388, I assumed it was a remake, but it's probably closer to a reimagining. There's a lot of stuff in the trailer alone that was never in Metroid 2. I just hope to god this guy doesn't get a cease and desist before it comes out, it looks fucking incredible.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Thaedolus said:
I might clarify: Because it was on SR388, I assumed it was a remake, but it's probably closer to a reimagining. There's a lot of stuff in the trailer alone that was never in Metroid 2. I just hope to god this guy doesn't get a cease and desist before it comes out, it looks fucking incredible.
He will, now that he's released media on his little project :lol

Edit: and even if Nintendo doesn't mind projects like these, they have to do everything they can to shut them down, otherwise they're at risk of losing their metroid trademark (basically, if a judge rules that a company isn't enforcing its copyright or patents, even when it has knowledge of violations, then that company loses the copyright, and the license, product, or patent either enters the public domain or can become the intellectual property of another company.

Umm...holy shit! That was actually pretty awesome! Loved the remix of the tunnel theme too.

Metroid 2 is a pretty repetitive and confusing game. I'm hoping they really improve things in this regard.

Is it a direct remake of Metroid 2 or a re-imagining of Metroid 2?

a direct remake with pretty graphics isnt THAT appealing. Did look nice, but yeah.

Well, it might be a bit of both. The grapple beam is in this trailer, and wasn't in Metroid 2. So that's a good sign.

Ashodin

Shit I was waiting for the Metroid evolutions to be shown in SNES 2d, and then BAM right at the end, it surprises the shit out of you :p

Damn you OP!

Now I have to find some toilet paper to clean up the mess I made.

See, Nintendo, if you had just gone ahead and remade Metroid II yourself, this wouldn't have needed to happen. Where's my Metroid Dread?

bdouble

Ok hears what I purpose.

Please Nintendo let this project live. Instead of making them shut down how about you use their efforts. Make them slap in some IR wiimote controls, put it on Wiiware as a free download and show what Wiiware should be. 3rd parties can't complain its a free title it just gets more people in the door.

In the end Wiiware is a hit and some up and coming devs get a job by showing their work.

_Alkaline_ said:
Well, it might be a bit of both. The grapple beam is in this trailer, and wasn't in Metroid 2. So that's a good sign.

yeah, but they can add elements from future Metroid games, but if it keeps the same formula of Metroid 2 then I will be a bit let down (Im not, but I couldent think of another word and I am tired. I understand its a fan game and I should expect nothing and that it already looks great, I just think Metroid 2 gameplay was very limited due to the Gameboy and Nintendo wanting to make it great for portable gaming by doing the same basic task over and over again broken into chunks.)

duckroll

zaccheus said:
i hope nintendo leaves them alone :(

I'm not sure why you would hope that Nintendo decides NOT to protect their rights. As cool as it is that talented people tend to like to remake games without permission, I think it would be much cooler if they actually focused their attention to original games that would get their skills noticed professionally without copyright infringement hanging over it.

Linkzg said:
yeah, but they can add elements from future Metroid games, but if it keeps the same formula of Metroid 2 then I will be a bit let down (Im not, but I couldent think of another word and I am tired. I understand its a fan game and I should expect nothing and that it already looks great, I just think Metroid 2 gameplay was very limited due to the Gameboy and Nintendo wanting to make it great for portable gaming by doing the same basic task over and over again broken into chunks.)

This is true. Metroid 2 is much more repetitive and 'fixed' compared to other Metroid games. It's basically "defeat Metroids, change lava level, repeat." That, combined with the utterly confusing map layout (which isn't helped by the fact that many rooms in the game are practically identical, making room recognition practically impossible in areas), is a big reason why it's most people's least favourite Metroid game.

I'd also love to see them to a lot with the soundtrack. Metroid 2's music, aside from the brilliant tunnel theme, is largely a mixture of beeps and bloops.

1fbs6p.png

Can you say... fanservice?

Wow. This looks great. I wonder if it will ever be released.

Thaedolus said:
Well looking at the screens there compared to the trailer, yes. This looks like a Zero Mission hack, while the trailer in the OP is like 90% original material.
Original sprites and effects running off the Super Metroid engine. None of the tile work was original.

Echoes

Holy shit this is awesome, I so want to play what I had just seen :(

On a separate note, how is the original M2 compared to the first one? I won the bidding of it couple of days ago and would like to know if it's, by todays standards, annoyingly; unjustifiably hard like the first one was. I mean, I could live with no map, but fetching for beams and health points was so so so not good. If M2's like the first one then it's gonna stay wrapped in the box.

Does anybody else get that little bit of hope that Nintendo will announce something 2D Metroid related at E3?

I mean, the Metroidvanias are nice and all, but it just isn't the same....

zaccheus

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm not sure why you would hope that Nintendo decides NOT to protect their rights. As cool as it is that talented people tend to like to remake games without permission, I think it would be much cooler if they actually focused their attention to original games that would get their skills noticed professionally without copyright infringement hanging over it.

because people should be able to make whatever the fuck they want to make?

That looks fucking incredible. Assuming its balanced and not broken (lots of playtesting involved in order to assure of this, something not often afforded for in fan-made games), I would play this in a heartbeat. Super Metroid is easily one of my all-time favorites (hell I really enjoyed Metroid 2 as well...incredible game), and just being able to soak up its aesthetics (great sounds, animations, etc) again in a new adventure would be like a dream come true.

I sincerely hope this actually makes its way onto the net. I hate it when game companies get all totalitarian just because some fans want to offer a new twist on one of their titles.

Bebpo

Banned
duckroll said:
Not when they're using someone else's creations and designs. :p

Well then they should move to Japan and sell it at conventions to make mad money and eventually console porting $$$.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
duckroll said:
Making an original game and using another's work are two very different things. It's possible that someone might shine in one situation and fail in another. Having that familiar framework of characters and gameplay in place can be a boon. For those not quite adept at creating the most endearing projects, it is a good place to start and do something that you will love and that other people will love. It is easier, though I wouldn't say that it's taking the easy way out. It's still difficult to balance the ethics of the original with the ideas of the reimagining. But it is still a place to start. The most difficult thing to do in creating is getting ideas ostensibly out of thin air. Not everybody is great at it.

After the Chrono Trigger remake debacle, one would think that anyone trying to do a fan remake would keep it under wraps until its done.

That is freaking awesome. If Nintendo is smart they'll take over the game and release it on wiiware instead of sending a cease and desist order.

I actually emailed this guy a while back saying that I wanted to do audio work for this project, but apparently he wanted to do everything himself.

Kind of strange. Really nice guy though.

I think I could have done a better job on the aural portions...

JRPereira

God damn I hope nintendo doesn't fuck this up
like they fucked up brawl's online

I've been dying for another super metroid quality metroid game for ages.

JRPereira said:
God damn I hope nintendo doesn't fuck this up
like they fucked up brawl's online

I've been dying for another super metroid quality metroid game for ages.

Fusion/Zero didn't satisfy you at all? I know they weren't near the perfection of Super Metroid, but they should have at least met some standard.

JRPereira

They were good, I liked fusion a bit more than zero mission (although I really didn't like fusion being so linear), but, they haven't captured what super metroid did so awesomely well.

Super metroid is just so far superior to both though.

Jamesfrom818 said:
After the Chrono Trigger remake debacle, one would think that anyone trying to do a fan remake would keep it under wraps until its done.

Exactly what I'm thinking. This looks incredibly nice, but I hope they haven't put this out there too soon.

Then again, Nintendo fan tribute games have been a staple on the internet for over a decade, many of them failing to catch the notice of Nintendo's legal department at all.

These things always seem to go the same way, as others have pointed out.

I'm always surprised by how readily people are willing to give these projects the benefit of the doubt though, moreso than they would with a normal game (and sometimes moreso than the original creators being emulated).

I mean I guess the fact that these things almost always get shut down or abandoned means no one can ever say they turn out bad (since they rarely "turn out" at all).

So to a certain extent I wish some of these projects could get finished just so people could have a greater appreciation of the trainwrecks the majority of them would turn into...

Well, if you're not going to try to approximate the original feel and intent of the game, I suppose you're essentially free to throw in whatever shit looks flashy and sounds awesome...

Lawsuit threats and Cease & Desists are becoming progressively less frequent as the years go on, though. I don't think Nintendo's ever sent out lawsuit threats, either.

There was that one Mario fangame a few years ago, the halloween one. I don't think that one ever had a lawsuit happen over it, and it's been on G4 and in all kinds of magazines over the years.

Edit: This one!

Top Bottom