• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Drake and Amplitude. lol

I feel like people really overreacted with all the negativity over their Kickstarter. I'm not saying I know any better but the way I see it a bunch of people, some even journalists covering the industry, who have no idea how much it costs to run a studio and self fund a game got to decided Harmonix is too big to self fund. And know one seemed to understand that publishers might not be jumping at the chance to fund a console exclusive cult classic with bonus licensing fees.

Just really frustrating since I want a new Amplitude game, and we probably won't get one.

popo

I doubt a bunch of journos sniffing at it would stop anyone who wanted to fund it from doing so. The people have spoken and it seems they are saying they are not much interested in a new amplitude. To be fair, if the kickstarter does fail, it will be much cheaper than self funding and finding no buyers once it is done.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I feel like people really overreacted with all the negativity over their Kickstarter. I'm not saying I know any better but the way I see it a bunch of people, some even journalists covering the industry, who have no idea how much it costs to run a studio and self fund a game got to decided Harmonix is too big to self fund. And know one seemed to understand that publishers might not be jumping at the chance to fund a console exclusive cult classic with bonus licensing fees.

Just really frustrating since I want a new Amplitude game, and we probably won't get one.

People didn't overreact to their kickstarter, its just a kickstarter for a really niche game revival of a game that came out 10+ years ago.

But Drake was fucking hilarious on the stream.

Barkerville Lyrics!
Sing Along

♪There are many things to see here
I would really love to be there
We should really go and visit
Barkerville's the perfect round trip

Barkerville
Where the werewolves live
Go to Barkerville
Many things to see there

Barkerville
A place I'd love to live
Lovely Barkerville
It's the perfect three day weekend

Dracula
He's in Barkerville
Or is that Alucard?
Dracula or Alucard
Say it backwards (mind is blown!)
♪

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Barkerville Lyrics!
Sing Along

♪There are many things to see here
I would really love to be there
We should really go and visit
Barkerville's the perfect round trip

Barkerville
Where the werewolves live
Go to Barkerville
Many things to see there

Barkerville
A place I'd love to live
Lovely Barkerville
It's the perfect three day weekend

Dracula
He's in Barkerville
Or is that Alucard?
Dracula or Alucard
Say it backwards (mind is blown!)
♪

Haha, amazing.

Ugh, even watching Whistleblower is stressful. Not sure why those games freak me out so much despite having played so many horror games. Think it's the combination of being chased/first person view.

Was able to get through both Amnesia games, although the second isn't nearly as scary. Am reminded I didn't finish the first one until I was at a family reunion, lol.

jgminto

If Giant Bomb keeps referencing JJBA, they'll have to change their logo to this.

SheerHeartAttack.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, the Konami Guitar Freaks came up during the show and I never saw how that ended. I assumed everyone just settled in the end?

popo

For those wondering if GB hiring a foreigner was at all viable.

(from Danny's tumblr)

Question:
I'm an English guy looking to move to America. How did you make the move from Ireland? Did you have to box up all your stuff, or did you decide to leave some and make a fresh start? How the hell does it all work? Love your stuff.

Answer:
Well I lived in London for four years in between. It’s not easy, I went through a year of lengthy VISA stuff - and mine was a relatively straightforward intra-company transfer VISA. It my plan for a good few years. Get a job in GameSpot UK and try and transfer to the US office. It took longer than I’d have hoped to get the first part done, but the second one went smoothly enough.

If you’re serious about moving then get reading. It is incredibly difficult unless you’re working for a company with a US office. Best of luck.

JonCha

Yeah, I've heard that it is super hard.

Basically it sounds like you either need to be going through a company you work for or are getting married to someone. Even then one of my friends said you need to show 'commitment' or something for a period of time. Plus the money you need for to pay for doctor visits and other things.

AND I think you need to have a certain amount of money saved beforehand.

daydream

Banned
I've never been much of a 'Bloody Tears' guy, but Brad's interpretation, lol. Friggin' Barkerville. I don't even know why it cracks me up so much.

Sakwoff

Slightly below the Metacritic average too. Those colluding bastards.

(Unless you were offering that as an example of them treating a Double Fine game perfectly fairly, in which case I wouldn't be snarky.)

Forgot about my post back then. Sorry to dig that up. :D

I totally meant the latter. I remember Brad Muir giving them shit (jokingly) about that.

Zaph

For those wondering if GB hiring a foreigner was at all viable.

(from Danny's tumblr)
Yup, it's really hard. The company has got to really need you to warrant the time and expense. Pretty sure Danny said John Davison was his cheerleader getting him over there before he left CBSi. Also, I don't think the US recognises internet video/entertainment so they can't get in under the talent/achievement visa which is what hosts, entertainers, writers etc usually use.

That said, a year is a really long time. CBSi must have been dragging their heels or have a shitty immigration lawyer. Our company can usually get it done in 3-6 months when we need to shuffle people around.

popo

@Zaph

It was probably a low priority. He seemed to get the move about the same time that they radically downsized the UK office - likely that made them get it done.

I guess the US is pretty full up now. In the 90's you could get a visa pretty easy. Same with Australia. I hear Canada are pretty desperate for professionals, keep getting emails from recruiters. A long way around, if you really really want to become a yank, would be to get a job in Canada then transfer to a US office or even get Canada citizenship then move to the US under the free trade agreement.

Mully

Ugh, even watching Whistleblower is stressful. Not sure why those games freak me out so much despite having played so many horror games. Think it's the combination of being chased/first person view.

Was able to get through both Amnesia games, although the second isn't nearly as scary. Am reminded I didn't finish the first one until I was at a family reunion, lol.

I was eating while watching that. I nearly threw up twice, but I was too hungry so I just kept on eating.

Volotaire

Mine wasn't working before I signed in.

Vinny's reaction and surprise about 2nd form of Dracula in Vinnyvania: part 2 was worth the subscription price alone.

Thanks a lot! First time premium subscriber! Yeh!

EDIT: I can activate this anytime i.e. in a month?

Myggen

How many was there? I imagine they made enough to pay their new hires for a year.

2000, so they made $70k in under a week on that promotion. Not bad.

Thanks a lot! First time premium subscriber! Yeh!

EDIT: I can activate this anytime i.e. in a month?

I think you should be able to activate it with that gift code anytime? It sure seemed that way at least. I'm subscribed to october 2015 now after the sale, so I'm good for quite some time :p

Bought the second to last one. Been a monthly subscriber for almost the whole time since they did premium subs so it was time to switch. Pretty dumb I know.

Edit: All gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom