• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's art is racist and the antagonist is (potentially) gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorgi

Never finished the game. HOW exactly was it "racist"?

The narrative essentially follows the same arc found in media like The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves, or Avatar: an outsider white person is brought into the tribal system and taught their ways (often with the help of a "magical native"), and becomes The Great White Hope for the tribe, who uses their techniques better than they ever could and acts as a hero for a group whose agency was suddenly ripped from under their feet.

After Far Cry 3's ramshackle of a story was critically put down, the writer claimed that it was merely a "satire" and that no one understood his grand vision. Because no one wants to take responsibility for their mistakes, merely passing the blame to another.

Prologue

giphy.gif

njean777

I will never understand people that actively look for things to be offended by in video games of all places. Reminds me of the Trophy in GoW Ascension that Sessler was bitching about.

Some people will even try to make somebody offend them so they can get angry, it is really stupid,.

rdrr gnr

That's the MO.

See the OP's quote:

Of course he isn't quoting those people, because if you attack someone on GAF like that which he alleges then you get perma-banned. Always keep it broad or refer to what random accounts on other services do. Way less accountability.
A lot of people do this. I think there is a term for it, but I haven't come across it. I remember Gies was being smashed on twitter for something stupid he said (surprise) and there were a lot of legitimate points being made. But one guy called him a faggot and all Gies did was retweet that post. It's a desperate attempt to frame yourself as the victim and your opponents as immature.

Gorillaz

Like I said in the other thread, I really hope the protagonist of FC4 is a Gurkha.

you and I both know it probably won't be.

Its going to be another power fantasy trip like FC3 that tries to take itself seriously and fails....and it will be passed off as "satire" from the writers because everyone called them out for it being a failure.

zeorhymer

What is a stereotypical gay antagonist? I have never encountered on while playing video games. The only one I can think of is Poison from Final Fight and she wasn't even an antagonist. Even Kefka wasn't even known. He just hated everyone.

Purple is a color often associated with gay people by choice, at least recently. Though I'd say this is pinkish purple, and pink is considered by many to be an effeminate color. Limp wrists is a stereotype of gays, as is being fashionable. So when you combine all those in one image, I think it is pretty clear why I'd feel like they could be playing off this stereotype.

People are entitled to their opinions and can certainly disagree with me. All I did was voice my concern about what was given to me and my initial feelings.

Pink stopped being an exclusively feminine color since like two decades ago.

You are right about purple though. It was considered the preferred color (along with green) of males prostitutes in Ancient Rome. Like, 2000 years ago.

It seems to me you are reflecting your own outdated prejudices in others.

RMI

Banned
I dont have a problem with this. Its different, different is good. It's like, the white knights around here have never seen a controversial film or something. I say it's about time games stop being so PC and get awesome.

when I read this comment, I imagine it as being read by your avatar and I get a little excited. Does that make me gay for David Duchovny, or do I need to be wearing purple for that?

It's stereotypical to assume he is gay based on how he looks. To me he is just a character with his own style, and this conversation is pointless until we know something about the character

EMT0

Banned
Purple is a color often associated with gay people by choice, at least recently. Though I'd say this is pinkish purple, and pink is considered by many to be an effeminate color. Limp wrists is a stereotype of gays, as is being fashionable. So when you combine all those in one image, I think it is pretty clear why I'd feel like they could be playing off this stereotype.

People are entitled to their opinions and can certainly disagree with me. All I did was voice my concern about what was given to me and my initial feelings.

Your concerns certainly seem to be done with preconceived intentions, and also the presumption that being gay and a villain will equate to defamation for being gay. You're certainly jumping the gun here; nevermind the fact that many villains in games tend to be straight white men anyways. We just went through a whole thread a week ago about representation for gays in video games, and now when we see some representation, it's suddenly not okay because it's in the role of the villain and gays can only be painted as heroes and not as human beings with multiple facets and possibilities? You're presuming the antagonist is white, presuming he's gay, and presuming he's a villain because he's gay...or you're aware of most of these points but still looking to drum up an issue here.

Dany

Banned
Dude looks awesome. I like his style. Who cares if he's gay? Was FC3 really bad at representing minorities?

njean777

The narrative essentially follows the same arc found in media like The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves, or Avatar: an outsider white person is brought into the tribal system and taught their ways (often with the help of a "magical native"), and becomes The Great White Hope for the tribe, who uses their techniques better than they ever could and acts as a hero for a group whose agency was suddenly ripped from under their feet.

After Far Cry 3's ramshackle of a story was critically put down, the writer claimed that it was merely a "satire" and that no one understood his grand vision. Because no one wants to take responsibility for their mistakes, merely passing the blame to another.

Nevermind.

Purple is traditionally associated with royalty and is also the color of the third-eye chakra. We might say purple is the color of the Godhead King.

coldone

people are jumping to conclusion far too soon. This is the reason we have games just filled with white males. If a two guys of different color have a problem.. does it only have to be based on race. Can't they fight for power, territory, language, religion, oil, gold...

Humans fight among each other more times for other reasons than race. Look at all the big wars fought. Most of them were for religion or oil.

Apathy

Has to be a parody post now. Really, there is no indication of being limp wristed in the boxart. While maybe its a hangup you have, but purple is not what I would associate with someone that is gay so much as Prince or a pimp, and also, a straight man can be just as fashionable as any gay man can. You are looking way too much into that image, but please tell us how from that image you can also tell he'll talk with a lisp and extremely flamboyant just to drive the point home.

How about we get outraged over real world problems like the Sherpas in Nepal getting paid nothing?

We know nothing about the story, this is literally judging the book by its cover.

theWB27

]Purple is a color often associated with gay people[/B] by choice, at least recently. Though I'd say this is pinkish purple, and pink is considered by many to be an effeminate color. Limp wrists is a stereotype of gays, as is being fashionable. So when you combine all those in one image, I think it is pretty clear why I'd feel like they could be playing off this stereotype.

I must've missed that one. Pink can be considered feminine, but I never knew Purple was among that group.

Honest question...did you raise this much of a ruckus when Saints Row debuted? Their color is Purple and it's featured predominantly throughout pics. They also dress pretty wildly. What do you think about that game? The Minnesota Vikings have always been Purple also. The Toronto Raptors have some Purple and pinkish reddish in their color scheme.

Being fashionable is NOT considered a gay stereotype...it's considered appreciating how you present yourself.

Are you really this shortsighted about these things?

~Kinggi~

Banned
when I read this comment, I imagine it as being read by your avatar and I get a little excited. Does that make me gay for David Duchovny, or do I need to be wearing purple for that?

Everyone is gay for the Duchovny, it's a free pass.

MattyG

Banned
My question to you would be, had this character's suit been, say, black and with a tie, would you have mentioned anything?

My bet is no. This whole thing, ironically, paints an interesting picture about your preconceived notions, as a bisexual.
THIS is what I meant to say a few pages ago. Glad someone could word it better than me.

KorrZ

The moment I saw the picture below, I felt my heart sank. An evil character, wearing all purple, having an edgy stylish modelesque haircut, hand resting on a guys head...I instantly thought they could be making a gay antagonist.

Interesting logic here about a character based solely on an image.

I do not blame developers one bit for not including gay, black etc. characters in their games when people make crazy statements like this based on an image. The only way to not get some bullshit internet outrage is to make a generic brown haired white dude.

je_ssi e

This OP is emblematic of everything that I hate with Twitter and journalism and people in general today. Faux outrage and offense over NOTHING. Grandstanding at the drop of a hat, without any understanding of context or pretty much anything.

"I see vaguely see something that might be a commentary on RACE! RACIST!"

"I spy with my little eye something that might be stretched and distorted and misconstrued as negative towards gay people! HOMOPHOBIC!"
How can one post be so based?

Azull

I wasn't going to post in this thread just cause how ridiculous it is but this comment alone forced me to. I have pink and purple shirts that I wear all the time so that must mean im gay right? Also, who are these many people that consider wearing purple = gay? Your stating facts, not opinions. I think its time to stop posting dude.

Wait, are people assuming the white guy is the protagonist? Is that where calling it racist stems from? Vaas was on the cover of Far Cry 3, and he was the protagonist, right?

S..so what's the game like..

Shut the hell up. Nobody cares about the game. Art thou not aware of the blatant racism?! Stop with your stupid aggression, you lowlife! Piss off!!! And die!!

I'm joking! Your question is valid~ The answer is... Nobody knows!

Everything is racist today. Everything is bad, everything is offensive.
People need to get that stick out of their ass and stop being offended by every little thing.
I think they are reading to much into this picture.

Seriously, this is getting out of hand.

Besides, as has already been said in this thread, there is a lot of assumptions and stereotyping from people being offended by this, and they should know well what they say about assumptions and stereotypes...

Flamboyant attitude and pink clothes don't make you gay. And the white privilege thing... I don't think the guy is white either... but we won't know for sure until Ubisoft reveal, you know, more information, instead of going just by the cover.

RedSwirl

you and I both know it probably won't be.

Its going to be another power fantasy trip like FC3 that tries to take itself seriously and fails....and it will be passed off as "satire" from the writers because everyone called them out for it being a failure.

I guess you're right. Wouldn't be the first time golden opportunities like this are missed in gaming.

But still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom