• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SoulCalibur: LS lacks multiplayer because "we’re going with a pay-to-win model"

Takao

Banned
This is a snippet from a larger interview with SoulCalibur: Lost Swords producer Masaaki Hoshino. The game is a free-to-play title on the PS3.

Why was it decided that Lost Swords would be singleplayer only?

The reason that we went singleplayer…well, originally, we were thinking about having a multiplayer option, but because we’re going with a pay-to-win model, we were worried that by having online multiplayer, for all the new users that would be coming in experiencing the game for the first time, they might be immediately deterred by fighting against opponents who had superior equipment and gear—and we didn’t want to have that kind of negative impact on new players.

In the singleplayer experience, having a pay-to-win structure won’t impede the player’s experience with the game.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2014/05/1...-soulcalibur-lost-swords/#3zaxPg1QBMl3omym.99

Espada

At least they're honest, but yeah this is why I avoid "free" games. Good game design is chucked out the window (multiplayer) for the purposes of squeezing money out of people.

Least he admits it.

Sounds like he is a bit annoyed by the system as well. Wonder if Namco Bandai wanted this model vs. Him wanting it.

Besides, this is what people wanted right? Considering all the bitching that was done about how there was not another boring and frustrating single player distraction mode in 5 while not acknowledging the damn good online mode was all I kept hearing about SC5.

Nimby

Banned
For some reason I feel that it would be very easy to implement MP with a pay-to-win style game without unfair advantage.

Should let Voldo handle future press releases

Also, don't see a link to the original Japanese interview. Would be interested to see if he really said that or not.

Least he admits it.

Sounds like he is a bit annoyed by the system as well. Wonder if Namco Bandai wanted this model vs. Him wanting it.

Besides, this is what people wanted right? Considering all the bitching that was done about how there was not another boring and frustrating single player distraction mode in 5 while not acknowledging the damn good online mode was all I kept hearing about SC5.
Most SoulCalibur games have really great single player modes, so I'd hardly classify it that way.

This game, and SCV's single player content are the outliers, not the norm for this series.

Was Soul Calibur losing Namco money?

I do not understand these companies taking profitable, popular brands and turning them into a model designed around trying to make money over a long term period because sales in the short term are unable to bring in the needed profits. Slow-burn profits instead of bulk, week 1 sales.

But with Soul Calibur, Tekken, etc. Weren't they always profitable?

Was Soul Calibur losing Namco money?

I do not understand these companies taking profitable, popular brands and turning them into a model designed around trying to make money over a long term period because sales in the short term are unable to bring in the needed profits. Slow-burn profits instead of bulk, week 1 sales.

But with Soul Calibur, Tekken, etc. Weren't they always profitable?
No, it's doing fine.

Top Bottom