• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Part II Remastered [Review Thread]

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
There are very minor upgrades but nothing of interest. Like literally some rocks looking slightly better and a better draw distance.

It does have 40 and 120hz support though.

Also fidelity hits a full 4k.
Digitial Foundry actually said a lot more than that. They talked about brightness changes, LOD changes, distant detail changes, and, of course, the Fidelity mode.

They just said don't go in expecting some massive overhaul, but they definitely pointes out more than "some rocks looking slightly better in the draw distance". Far less pop-in on foliage was also highlighted.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Digitial Foundry actually said a lot more than that. They talked about brightness changes, LOD changes, distant detail changes, and, of course, the Fidelity mode.

They just said don't go in expecting some massive overhaul, but they didn't minimize it like you claim.
Yep... I was just responding the person who asked the comment if it's all a lie, obviously it isn't.

Just isn't a literal new engine or whatever people are expecting these days

I don't think thats right at all, the image quality is disappointing in even the Quality mode, let alone the Perf mode, the quality mode looks like 1440p upscaled and the Perf mode looks like 1080p:

There are aspects of the rendering of this game that look top tier even now, but I think games like Death Stranding, Horizon FW, Alan Wake 2 and others have a much better overall look. I'm sure they were going for a painterly look but its hard to be immersed in this game when theres anything except characters on screen, when its just characters it looks amazing, like UC4/UC:LL cutscenes, but I prefer the way even those (much) older games looked overall when they came to PS5. The overall look I mean, not just the image quality.

The PS4 version runs at 1440p/60fps on a PS5. Why would that be downgraded for a native PS5 app?

King Dazzar

Perhaps there is a trade-off between higher draw distance which is paid for with the lower resolution.
Pixel counts by DF already confirm 1440p 60fps and 2160p 30fps. With the benefit of the 4k mode being able to hit between 40fps and 60fps when unlocked with VRR. So unless they're wrong....

However, both Pt1 remake and the original Pt2 can at times always look a touch soft when running at 1440p. But thats where this remaster should shine, if able to hold the fidelity mode to a much healthier 40fps+. Pt1 remake couldn't. I'm expecting image quality to be very nice in fidelity mode for this.

Kinda crazy they actually don't let you pre order/buy the game at full price if you owned it before.

Like obviously they lose money doing that as there would definitely be people who would have pre ordered of it was possible.

From a consumer standpoint it's good though as it stops people who don't know about the upgrade path paying more than required.

I do expect it's caused a lot of confusion though as people who don't follow these things would be perplexed at why PSN doesn't let them buy the game.

I wonder why Sony can't open pre orders for people on the upgrade path?

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I PASS.

I already bought it on its launch day on PS4, I wouldn't buy it again.

Soon it will be released on PS6.
The remaster will not be released on PS4.

The added content is worth $10 if you are a fan. I am a big fan and I will pick it up this weekend. I want to play it in 40 fps 120hz mode. And the grounded II documentary will be awesome.

Alebrije

Waited for this remaster to platinum the Game ,
and will play on fidelity mode 40 fps 120hz.

Still think should be free but 10 bucks wont bleed my wallet.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
b9VlXkV.jpg

Eiknarf

Banned
Bow Resistance not working

In the Dualsense setting, I have Adaptive Triggers ‘on’
Under that is “bow resistance”, but it is locked!!

It reads, “To modify this setting, enable ‘Adaptive Triggers’”. But I already have them enabled….

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Look carefully at this scene at the moment 4:47, see the floor is clean and there is nothing.... But at the minute 4:57 a gun magically appears??

Consciousness of the Hollywood Script?

🧐🧐

Last edited:

Flabagast

Look carefully at this scene at the moment 4:47, see the floor is clean and there is nothing.... But at the minute 4:57 a gun magically appears??

Consciousness of the Hollywood Script?

🧐🧐

There are a lot of cuts warping the scene in this fight during transitions, no big deal imho

Top Bottom