• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

And good news for existing owners of The Last of Us Part II on PlayStation 4! You will be able to upgrade to a digital version of The Last of Us Part II Remastered for $10 USD at launch. You’ll also be able to import your saves from the original game to Part II Remastered.

4N2dERz.jpg

53331063337_31de12b661_b.jpg

The team here at Naughty Dog is excited to announce The Last of Us Part II Remastered, the definitive way to experience the acclaimed The Last of Us sequel originally released in 2020. We’re thrilled to confirm you won’t have to wait long for it either; players can jump into Ellie and Abby’s emotional journeys on the PlayStation 5 console on January 19, 2024.

Whether you’ve already played and even platinumed The Last of Us Part II on the PlayStation 4 console or have recently jumped into The Last of Us Part I on PS5 and want to continue the story, Part II Remastered will offer plenty of reasons for new and returning players to revisit a story that means so much to our studio. The engrossing campaign returns alongside technological improvements, new modes, and new behind-the-scenes features that will deepen your understanding of Part II’s creation. But before we break down what’s in store, take a look at our announcement trailer below.
The Last of Us Part II Remastered is designed to let you dig deeper into both its development and mechanics. Chief among these is a brand-new mode called No Return, a roguelike survival mode designed to let players prove their mettle in randomized encounters and experience The Last of Us Part II’s combat in a fresh experience.

The mode includes a host of playable characters to choose from – some playable for the first time in The Last of Us franchise (which you may have spotted in our trailer) – who each come with their own traits to suit different playstyles. Players will chart their own course on each run, choosing between various stealth and combat encounters that will pit you against a range of enemies, with unique twists that can add new, unexpected factors to any given encounter.

Each run will offer a new chance to decide what rewards you get after each encounter, how you spec out your character, and more. Unlock more characters, skins, and more as you progress to use in the mode, customize your own runs, and compete on a global leaderboard as part of a Daily Run2. We’re excited to share more about No Return as we get closer to launch.

For those who have already played The Last of Us Part II, we know the included sections featuring a playable guitar were a favorite for many, and you burgeoning rockstars impressed us with your performances. So we’ve introduced a new Guitar Free Play mode, which will let you strum the strings across a host of unlockable instruments, use audio FX pedals to modulate your performance, and play as different characters in several in-game locations to customize the mood and feel of your set.
And for both new and returning players interested in learning more, we’ve designed Part II Remastered to offer a comprehensive dive behind-the-scenes of how our studio brought this game to life. A new set of Lost Levels in Part II Remastered allow players a unique chance to check out some playable sequences previously cut from the game. These aren’t fully finished levels, but rather early-development slices that not only let you see some new glimpses of Part II’s world, but also include embedded developer commentary to give them richer context. Explore these spaces and hear directly from the team about the intention of aspects of each level – this is a unique inclusion for our studio and we’re excited to allow players a glimpse into the creative process.

We’ve also included newly recorded director’s commentary across the campaign’s cutscenes from director Neil Druckmann, narrative lead Halley Gross, and actors Troy Baker, Ashley Johnson, and Laura Bailey. They assembled to offer insight into the story and its characters that mean so much to both our team and our fans, and we’re delighted to give fans even more understanding of the team’s approach to this story.
The Last of Us Part II Remastered will feature enhanced graphics, including native 4K output1 in Fidelity Mode, 1440p upscaled to 4K1 in Performance Mode, an Unlocked Framerate option for TVs that support VRR, increased texture resolution, increased Level-of-Detail distances, improved shadow quality, animation sampling rate, and more. It all brings the world of Part II’s story to life in richer and smoother detail, from the snow-swept mountains of Jackson, Wyoming to the rainy cityscape of Seattle, Washington, and should make a first visit or a return trip to the complex journeys of Ellie and Abby all the more engrossing.

Part II Remastered takes advantage of the PS5’s power and features in more ways as well, including improved loading times. Part II Remastered also incorporates DualSense wireless controller haptic feedback and adaptive triggers integration to better immerse you in every moment of combat and exploration.

We’ve ensured Part II’s award-winning suite of accessibility options returns for the PS5 experience, alongside new additions like the inclusion of Descriptive Audio and Speech to Vibrations, which uses the DualSense controller to indicate character speech and cadence. The unlockable Speedrun Mode, included in The Last of Us Part I, will also be coming to Part II Remastered, allowing players to post their best times. Following The Last of Us Part I, The Last of Us Part II Remastered includes the ability to unlock bonus skins for Ellie, Abby, and their weapons that we’re excited for players to see and take some incredible Photo Mode shots with. You can get a first look at some in our announcement trailer. And speaking of Photo Mode, we’ve made some additions that players of The Last of Us Part I may be familiar with, including dynamic lighting, Frame Forward, and Gaze Direction, as well as new frame and logo options.

We’re so excited to natively bring The Last of Us Part II to the PlayStation 5 as the definitive way to experience the sequel and everything it has to offer, while also offering fans new and returning deeper levels of appreciation for the work that went into it. Pre-orders will be available beginning December 5, both for the standard edition, as well as The Last of Us Part II Remastered W.L.F. Edition, which will be exclusively available direct from PlayStation in select markets (United States, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Benelux, Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Austria). It includes a SteelBook® display case, four enamel pins, a Washington Liberation Front Patch, and a total of 47 Society of Champions trading cards, including eight holographic cards. These were a favorite of Part II players to collect in-game, and we’re so happy we could bring these to life.
We're excited to share more with you about The Last of Us Part II Remastered as we get closer to its release on PlayStation 5 on January 19! Preorders will go live on December 5.
Native PS5 enhancements
Built for the PS5 console, The Last of Us Part II Remastered enhances the original PS4 game in ways not possible before, including:
• A host of graphical improvements bring the beautiful-yet-dangerous world to life.
• Visual performance now outputs at 4K in Fidelity Mode.
• Improved loading times more quickly let you jump into action.
• Full DualSense™ wireless controller integration.

No Return – A Roguelike Survival Mode
Experience The Last of Us Part II’s deep combat via an entirely new mode!
Survive as long as you can in each run, as you choose your path through a series of randomized encounters.
Play as a host of different unlockable characters, some never-before playable in The Last of Us franchise, each with unique gameplay traits.
The variety of challenges feature different foes and memorable locations from throughout Part II, all culminating in tense boss battles.

New ways to play
Delve deeper into this beloved adventure and learn how the original game was created.
• Lost Levels lets you explore early-development versions of three new levels not seen in the original.
• Enjoy hours of new developer commentary to hear insights into Part II’s development as you experience the game.
• Live up to your musical potential with Guitar Free Play, which includes new unlockable instruments, or take on the new Speedrun Mode* and post your best times.
• Descriptive Audio** and Speech to Vibrations have also been added to Part II's suite of accessibility features.
• The Last of Us Part II Remastered also features brand new unlockable character and weapon skins for players to use for both Ellie and Abby.
Oh and here's a couple of gifs courtesy of M Musilla

JnuCbR9.gif

JnuCpDu.gif

JnuI3Lg.gif

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Heck yeah! Let the seriousness begin and and let the fun stop. Can't wait to see Joel's murderous head get bashed in, Ellie's hateful hands get mutilated and Abby's glorious booty get effed in the most cringe and awkward... I meant sensual and mature! Mature!... scene of 2020... Now in 4k 60.

Last edited:

Ellery

I love TLOU2 and Naughty Dog, but I genuinely hope this is not another full price graphics update.

Native PS5 update for full 4K at 60fps would be much appreciated though. Free or 10-15$ max for the upgrade(depending on how much work they put in and what they changed) if you already own the PS4 version

So we're going to get the Uncharted 4 treatment where they do a frame rate patch, and re-package the game for fast loading, and then smack 10 bucks for the upgrade?

or are we getting a fully fledged remaster with ray-traced global illumination, upgraded textures and geometry as well as other next-gen nuggets.

Last edited:

Xtib81

So we're going to get the Uncharted 4 treatment where they do a frame rate patch, and re-package the game for fast loading, and then smack 10 bucks for the upgrade?

or are we getting a fully fledged remaster with ray-traced global illumination, upgraded textures and geometry as well as other next-gen nuggets.

Sadly, I'd bet on the former.

Skifi28

I don't expect many differences to the original. Dualsense and 3d audio will probably be the more interesting aspect. Still, if it's just a 10 euro upgrade I'm grabbing it just as an excuse to replay the game.

Considering the game has fixed time of day with pre-calculated very high quality RTGI, it'd be a waste as you wouldn't be able to spot difference 99% of the time while you'd have to sacrifice resolution and framerate for an AMD console to do it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I love TLOU2 and Naughty Dog, but I genuinely hope this is not another full price graphics update.

Native PS5 update for full 4K at 60fps would be much appreciated though. Free or 10-15$ max for the upgrade(depending on how much work they put in and what they changed) if you already own the PS4 version

I thought it was strange that the PlayStation 4 version never officially dropped below $39.99 a year ago and that's still the price on the PlayStation store.

Something tells me that they never dropped it below $39.99 because they were going to release the PS5 version at a higher price point.

We very well may see a full priced game.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wish there was a middle ground, some notable upgrades for $25$30. $60-70 for a game that you already bought and paid for once is too much. I have no real issue with minor upgrade fir $10, but considering the competition was doing it for free it seems a tad greedy.

Considering the game has fixed time of day with pre-calculated very high quality RTGI, it'd be a waste as you wouldn't be able to spot difference 99% of the time while you'd have to sacrifice resolution and framerate for an AMD console to do it.

There's a lot of inconsistencies in TLOU2 lighting, especially when it comes to indoor lighting, indirect lighting and shadows. This game could pleasantly benefit from an RTGI implementation.

And yes you can very likely run it with RTGI on the PS5 at 30 FPS.

Ellery

I thought it was strange that the PlayStation 4 version never officially dropped below $39.99 a year ago and that's still the price on the PlayStation store.

Something tells me that they never dropped it below $39.99 because they were going to release the PS5 version at a higher price point.

What would you expect a full priced game to include ? Or what would you hope for?

Naughty Dog has turned into one of the laziest studios in gaming.

Huge problem might also be communication and the focus on TLOU Factions/MP. Which we don't know the state of. Might be canned no idea.

In my personal head canon Naughty Dog hated the Gaas push by Jim Ryan so much that they sabotaged the product, but it is pure speculation on my end.

Elios83

It's Sony, so it will be at the very least a $10 upgrade for current TLOU 2 owners.

I don't think it's going to happen but given the development issues they have been facing in turning Factions a fully fledged standalone multiplayer project if that game is at risk of getting canceled they could just include what they have done as the multiplayer mode of this PS5 version of TLOU2, basically the original plan, sell the whole package as a new game and move on.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This should be free for me, and the money made from PC players should offset the 'losses' from their loyal and handsome PS core consumer.
Ain't nobody touching this on PC after the shit Part I port and the awful performance of Uncharted 4. ND games severely underperform relative to their hardware on PC.

Sony should keep that one and just port Bloodborne, a game that would actually sell on PC.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I got TLoU2 for $10 on PSN.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What would you expect a full priced game to include ? Or what would you hope for?
I think the game would need to have a lot of extra content to justify a full price tag. Either a small fractions mode or story DLC with the usual visual enhancements and added features that were in Last of Us Part I.

What I hoped for a year ago was that this would be a 39.99 game with early access + beta version of Fractions 2.

Top Bottom