• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

You don’t even know what they added though.

They won’t lmao

By this time last gen you had a remaster and a full game. Now you have 2 remakes and Factions which was supposed to be announced this year and it wasn’t because of something Naughty Dog themselves couldn’t control.

Yall are doing what you did with the first game. Calling this not needed yet it will be all over the charts three times: once when its released and the other 2 times when the tv show airs both seasons based on this game. It’s also a way to keep the team busy when another game is in preproduction.
No idea what they are adding, but looking at their previous work (which is what any sensible person should do) all signs point to them just updating the graphics and possibly the enemy A.I (which was already great).

Also the stuff around Factions is rumours as far as I'm aware, I don't think there has been an official announcement yet?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
This reminds me of what Gustavo Santaolalla said earlier this year.

He talked about a new feature in the remastered version

"He replied saying in the new version you can actually go up to him and ask him to play certain songs"

At the very least, we might see some small new features and similar content that was found in Last of Us Part I (alternate costumes, speedrun mode, assessability features etc.)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No idea what they are adding, but looking at their previous work (which is what any sensible person should do) all signs point to them just updating the graphics and possibly the enemy A.I (which was already great).

Also the stuff around Factions is rumours as far as I'm aware, I don't think there has been an official announcement yet?

Objectively speaking this is a PC and PS5 project. With PC being arguably the more significant target because its the first time the game's been available on the platform and hence offering higher sales potential. This also means its more of an engineering project than a creative one, so I'd expect any additions to be fairly modest.

On the other hand as there is no equivalent to the Left Behind add-on to be bundled-in as a value add, they might feel the need to add something to sweeten the deal for PS5 users who already own the original. Because, let's face it, they are going to sell this at full price on PC, and therefore they cannot afford to undercut its value by offering the same thing on PS5 for a lower rrp.

Personally, I think they'd be foolish not to add content that showcases the combat in the game, rather than expand the narrative. On PS4 the issue with offering additional "arena" type combat I suspect was the load times required to pull out scene assets from various parts in the story, but on PS5 and PC with fast SSD's and directstorage this shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
86dhrt.jpg

MiguelItUp

The thing that surprises me most about this is that people are acting shocked, I thought it was a given that it was happening. I mean, TLOU got on PS5/PC, why wouldn't TLOU2? Probably gonna be announced at TGA.

Last edited:
Let's go dude. I'll definitely buy this again in for 4K, 60fps hopefully. And maybe they'll fit some texture glitches you can see on occasion.

Hopefully they release it on PC too.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
This reminds me of what Gustavo Santaolalla said earlier this year.

He talked about a new feature in the remastered version

"He replied saying in the new version you can actually go up to him and ask him to play certain songs"

At the very least, we might see some small new features and similar content that was found in Last of Us Part I (alternate costumes, speedrun mode, assessability features etc.)

Hmmmm wonder what other changes 🤔 the game already runs at 60fps 1440p on PS5 so l need more.

yurinka

So we're going to get the Uncharted 4 treatment where they do a frame rate patch, and re-package the game for fast loading, and then smack 10 bucks for the upgrade?

or are we getting a fully fledged remaster with ray-traced global illumination, upgraded textures and geometry as well as other next-gen nuggets.
In Uncharted if you didn't have U4 or Lost Legacy you got the other game (also remastered) included the $10 upgrade.

They're lazy but they're working on 3 major games?
3 major games plus overviewing a remaster (and make sure its pc port too), a tv show and maybe the writing of another a movie.

I think the game would need to have a lot of extra content to justify a full price tag. Either a small fractions mode or story DLC with the usual visual enhancements and added features that were in Last of Us Part I.

What I hoped for a year ago was that this would be a 39.99 game with early access + beta version of Fractions 2.
I assume they'll only include a TLOU2 remaster, which is one of the most awarded games in history. If something, they may include TLOUP1 as optional (discounted) DLC.

Last edited:
There’s already a 60 fps patch for PS5. This will be 10 USD with dualsense features, 3D audio and a native 4K mode with unlocked VRR support. Think Death stranding for PS5. It will have better textures here and there and faster loadings. It’s what it is.

Death Stranding DC had some bonus content and missions, plus some other nice in game stuff. Textures were improved, LOD was also improved, and the water/rivers received a new rendering system using tesselation maps. All of this wrapped up with a 60 FPS framerate boost all for free.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Just add more context that leads up to Joel and Tommy trusting a stranger and that takes away most of my problems with it. It’s just jarring to see TLOU1 Joel turn drastically in TLOU2.
You act like if you imagined this scene or something.
Joeal and Tommy are living in their cozy town FOR 5 YEARS. Joel especially, has gotten old and soft. He relaxed.
Besides that, they were running from a horde. There was absolutely no reason to feel antagonist towards these people

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Could you imagine if 60fps performance mode on native PS5 version was actually worse than the PS4 60fps patch version lol

Why is this surprising? You could take the exact same code, replace the assets with bigger textures and denser poly meshes and you'd likely see a drop in performance even on better hardware. There is no "special sauce", its just power vs workload.

skit_data

I really hope they throw in Factions or at least  something more because there's not much reason to buy it if you already own the PS4 version. Hell I haven't even bothered getting TLOU1 remake and that's at least a pretty substantial visual overhaul.

I'd laugh my ass off if they'd release a full fledged Factions sequel with this, the doom and gloom around that project would be pretty fun to look back into.

Afaik all we know is that QAs were laid off and people were shifted away from the project. Would be funny if it's all just because it was pretty much finished and resources were needed elsewhere.

killatopak

You act like if you imagined this scene or something.
Joeal and Tommy are living in their cozy town FOR 5 YEARS. Joel especially, has gotten old and soft. He relaxed.
Besides that, they were running from a horde. There was absolutely no reason to feel antagonist towards these people
5 years is a lot of time to change but so is 20 years surviving cautiously before it. He trusted what, 4 people in the span of those years? It’s not as if he didn’t encounter people who wanted to hurt him before in the first game. In fact, he betrayed the fireflies in the end. He knows human nature better than anyone. I get trusting people who are in your community but strangers? Even giving people your name?

Maybe show snippets of those 5 years instead of ASSUMING he got soft because 5 years went by. Because nothing showed makes you think Joel got soft until it actually mattered. That’s an asspull.

You know how TLOU 1 showed Joel changed from Infection day? People around him actually talked about how tough Joel is BEFORE and AFTER we got our first bit of action.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
5 years is a lot of time to change but so is 20 years surviving cautiously before it. He trusted what, 4 people in the span of those years? It’s not as if he didn’t encounter people who wanted to hurt him before in the first game. In fact, he betrayed the fireflies in the end. He knows human nature better than anyone. I get trusting people who are in your community but strangers? Even giving people your name?

Maybe show snippets of those 5 years instead of ASSUMING he got soft because 5 years went by. Because nothing showed makes you think Joel got soft until it actually mattered. That’s an asspull.

You know how TLOU 1 showed Joel changed from Infection day? People around him actually talked about how tough Joel is BEFORE and AFTER we got our first bit of action.
We are shown his 5 years in the town and snippets of adventures with ellie.
The man changed into dad. He had no reason not to trust them. They were all escaping from zombies ffs

killatopak

The man changed into dad. He had no reason not to trust them. They were all escaping from zombies ffs
You mean brawling with a bartender showing how aggressive he still is? He is only really calm and fatherly in the presence of Ellie. Also his trigger for how he can become aggresive.

Joel has little to no interaction with other members of the town. All the snippets you say is with Ellie.

It will be all over the charts because there isnt anything else to play. People are hungry and all we are getting are leftovers
I have literally never seen so many games releasing so fast as this year. Wth do you mean "there's nothing to play"? lmao
My backlog increased like hell this year. So did most people that i talk to.

Glad you have things in order and have "nothing to play". I wish i could say the same.

Weird is when i have "nothing to play" i don't usually buy games i already have though...i just replay the ones i have.

GymWolf

Yeah because all the hundreds of bad humans you kill in 2 games organize poker nights with clickers and bloaters instead.

It's not like every single man in the planet run from a fucking zombie horde :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

This is not how infected interact with humans dude
giphy.gif

I don't even think that giving up names is that tragic like many people think but that is a weak sauce excuse.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He was also tasked with protecting the community he and Ellie are now part of, why would he become more soft when he has more to protect while he's on patrol? His patrols should be a strong reminder of what's at stake.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You mean brawling with a bartender showing how aggressive he still is? He is only really calm and fatherly in the presence of Ellie. Also his trigger for how he can become aggresive.

Joel has little to no interaction with other members of the town. All the snippets you say is with Ellie.
He was aggressive as a dad figure. Ellie was not in danger when he was escaping zombies with tommy.
Yeah because all the hundreds of bad humans you kill in 2 games organize poker nights with clickers and bloaters instead.

It's not like every single man in the planet run from a fucking zombie horde :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

This is not how infected interact with humans dude
giphy.gif

I don't even think that giving up names is that tragic like many people think but that is a weak sauce excuse.
I don't understand what you are on about. It was situational. He maybe would not trust some random girl in other scenario but he had barely no choice in this scenario
He was also tasked with protecting the community he and Ellie are now part of, why would he become more soft when he has more to protect while he's on patrol? His patrols should be a strong reminder of what's at stake.
anecdotal. He still got softer in this circumstances. Nobody says he went complexly flaccid dude.

You guys have hate boner for the game and are looking for things to dislike. This is not one of things you can reasonably dislike. He behaved correctly.

GymWolf

He was aggressive as a dad figure. Ellie was not in danger when he was escaping zombies with tommy.

I don't understand what you are on about. It was situational. He maybe would not trust some random girl in other scenario but he had barely no choice in this scenario

anecdotal. He still got softer in this circumstances. Nobody says he went complexly flaccid dude.

You guys have hate boner for the game and are looking for things to dislike. This is not one of things you can reasonably dislike. He behaved correctly.
You said that the reason to trust them was that they were running from a damn zombie horde like joel, if you can't understand how that is a silly point to bring up, i can't help you.

EVERY SINGLE HUMAN IN TLOU UNIVERSE is gonna run from an horde, it is not a reason to be trustworthy, like at all.

You see an horde, you run, no matter how bad of a human you are.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He could've left Abby as horde food/distraction so he was being compassionate. It's sad to see how that pays off for him.
For someone surviving that long it's jarring to see him just forgetting about those experiences that kept him alive without any setup.

And like GymWolf said, having a common enemy doesn't make you trust worthy.

Last edited:
I'd pay $60 for the PC version if it meant it actually looked like Naughty Dog's previews and not how the game actually looked on release.

DeepSpace5D

I’d need a compelling reason to return personally, beyond just a resolution increase and Dualsense support. Excellent game, but one I’ve beaten multiple times, including a run on Grounded+ difficulty with permadeath by chapter just this year.

So I’m probably not the target audience, but still, give me a reason to come back! Any sort of new content would probably be enough.

Lupin25

As a first party studio, they should offer this 100% for free for people who already own the game.

They definitely won’t do that. TLOU Remastered wasn’t free and the 60 fps next-gen patch was already given away.

With that said, I’m looking forward to some nice improvements to justify the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom