• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisalt Responds to Criticism Regarding Wii Games - GAF called out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

AlphaTwo00 said:
From Ubi's site:

Emergency Heroes
No More Heroes
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
The Dog Island
Nitrobike
My Word Coach
Cosmic Family
Blazing Angels® Squadrons of WWII - Wii™
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Wii
Rayman Raving Rabbids Wii
Red Steel
CSI: Hard Evidence - Wii
Cranium Kabookii
Petz Horsez 2
Petz® Dogz® 2
Petz Catz 2
Driver Parallel Lines
Surf’s Up™ - Wii™
Far Cry® Vengeance - Wii™
Splinter Cell Double Agent™
Open Season Wii
Monster 4X4: World Circuit Wii
GT Pro Series Wii
shit games bolded
though a red steel sequel could be decent if they tried.

Damodar

SapientWolf said:
Fuck yes I would buy it. Just like I'm going to buy Boom Blox. Just like I bought Team Buddies and Cookie and Cream.

Team Buddies does have a child-like aesthetic, but it's really not a kids game, so that's kind of an interesting example. Do get Boom Blox though. Especially if you've got people to play with.

I was kinda hoping to see more gifs in this thread. Maybe we could collect all the gifs from the other thread(s) and put them in the OP, that would be the mature thing to do :D

rakka said:
shit games bolded
though a red steel sequel could be decent if they tried.
What?

Rayman 1 was decent, so was the first Red Steel.

Rayman 2 was slightly milking it, but it was still pretty entertaining.

My Word couch is suppose to be pretty good for what it does.

Emergency Heroes isn't even out yet, I'm not sure how you can say it's shit. It looks to be targetted for slightly younger audience, but I can see it's potential.

Duxxy3

Shitty games are still shitty games no matter who they're targeted for

Right now UBI makes more shit games than anyone else, deserve the bashing

Mamesj

Banned
At least they're making BG+E2. That's the only UBI game I've cared about since...the last BG+E. well, the new PoP looks hot too.

farnham

Banned
funny how EA or activision have no problems selling their games on the wii..

wii audience does not care about lets say MoH Airborne

then make games like Mysims or Boom blox

and not games like Imagine Babyz

Flakster99

Oh Ubisoft.

I do not profess to understand your business dynamics, but having access to an untapped market does not, should not give any publisher/developer, especially one the size and scope as Ubisoft, a free pass at putting forth piss poor efforts at the expense of (new) gamers in an attempt for a quick cash grab.

Is Ubisoft offering smart choices, viable options to Wii owners?

Do these announcements scream 'This sounds great. Awesome. That's a great idea'?

Is Ubisoft ignoring the US market, where Wii owners continue to gobble up software at a continued, fevered pace?

First 18 months software units (US):

Wii - 50 million (not including Wii Sports)
X360 - 28 million
PS3 - 20 million
PS2 - 42 million

First 18 months hardware units (US):

Wii - 9.5 million
X360 - 5.2 million
PS3 - 4.2 million
PS2 - 8.5 million

Self explanatory.

Satoru Iwata said:
I understand that some experts argue that our success is short-lived and temporary. So, now we need to make efforts to [offer] services and titles that can appeal not only to those who have never played games but also to those who play them hard.

Taken from the April 2008 NPD thread.

kame-sennin said:
Not only that, but if Nintendo successfully travels up the market, the PS3/360 could lose franchises. Stuff like Gears, MGS, and FF will be safe, but there may be more titles like Monster Hunter and DQ being plucked off the HD systems. This is why the meme, "hardcore games do not sell on the Wii" can be translated to "hardcore games must not sell on the Wii".

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I just fully read the Birdmen and the Casual Fallacy article, and it should be required fucking reading at every game development studio out there. It's thought-provoking and a helluva lot more insightful than what most corporate suits and analysts have to say.

It's way too early in the game to say that the author hit the nail on the head, but I definitely think he's on the right track. And he'd be one of the few that's even close, IMHO. Amazing.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Exempted said:
Super_Mario_Galaxy.jpg
SSBB_Cover.jpg
MKWiiBoxart.jpg

?
Not to mention.
wii_resident-evil-4-wii-edition.jpg

resident-evil-umbrella-pal.jpg

Hell even these sold pretty well..
No-More-Heroes-EU.jpg

z_w_wii_pkf_090707.jpg

farnham

Banned
not to mention that Redsteel.. which was an abortion but still an hardcore title sold fairly well.. actually it sold a million units and i doubt imagine babyz achieved that..

they could do a watered down port of Rainbow six or ghost recon with wii mote controls and it would sell loads better then dogz and imagine babyz

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AlphaTwo00 said:
What?

Rayman 1 was decent, so was the first Red Steel.

Rayman 2 was slightly milking it, but it was still pretty entertaining.

My Word couch is suppose to be pretty good for what it does.

Emergency Heroes isn't even out yet, I'm not sure how you can say it's shit. It looks to be targetted for slightly younger audience, but I can see it's potential.

Red Steel and Rabbids got lucky as launch games, though I admit MP and Carnival Games arent rousing competition for Rabbids, and I have issues with Hudson's console MPs since the end of the N64. Red Steel was pretty poor, the next needs to implement the systems of MPC and MoH:H2

Amir0x said:
The problem is Ubisoft isn't very good at making family oriented games, and their hardcore audiences seems to have stuck to PS360. So the efforts they put on Wii are disproportionately bad, since they generally suck at non-gamer games.

I will say though, My Word Coach is not bad at all. It's like Book Worm in a Brain Age format.

I get what you're asking for.... an "Assailant's Creed Jr." where by our young boy goes around and picks fights with anyone who doesn't agree with his father Altair.

In reality, it's a game about choice. You either pick the fight, or get beat up with rumble feedback either way. By the end of the game, you feel better about yourself for either being more right than the other person or turning the other check to unlock special characters to replay the game as.

:lol

jrricky

Banned
Man, big gaming sites need to really get under Ubisoft's skin in an interview to see what they are really up to. This alone should be a full featured article on every website who deems themselves decent and loves the gaming industry at heart. Go on IGN, take the bait.....

legend166

Ether_Snake is just desperately trying to turn this into console warz, despite trying to tell everyone else it is they who are doing it.

I don't know why it's a bad thing to want Ubisoft to make good games on the Wii instead of bad ones. I mean, they are making games on the Wii. That's not the issue. According to that list, they've developed/published 23 Wii games. How about instead of that, they make 5-6 good ones? We'll be happier, and I bet their accountants would be too.

ivysaur12

Banned
Mejilan said:
I just fully read the Birdmen and the Casual Fallacy article, and it should be required fucking reading at every game development studio out there. It's thought-provoking and a helluva lot more insightful than what most corporate suits and analysts have to say.

It's way too early in the game to say that the author hit the nail on the head, but I definitely think he's on the right track. And he'd be one of the few that's even close, IMHO. Amazing.

I completely agree. What an interesting article.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
SapientWolf said:
Fuck yes I would buy it. Just like I'm going to buy Boom Blox. Just like I bought Team Buddies and Cookie and Cream. I'm not too full of myself to pass on something fun just because it has aesthetics that slant to a younger set. A game is either fun or its not, and that's all I care about.

edit: Here's the game I'm talking about:

box-l.jpg

That is a damn good game.

Ramenman

^^^ don't know about cookie, but Buddies was awesome in multi.

The true of the matter is this, the Wii is a very different console than what most games developers are used to. The Wii has managed to make a huge success from having games on it that just would not work on a conventional console. The Wii has also managed to increase the market share to a huge group of people that are not that interested in gaming. With Wii Sports, Wii Fit and all manner of games built for family play, Nintendo know who they are marketing for and it is not die hard gamers. If you look at the most successful Wii games, they are not amazing new AAA games, they are predominantly family orientated games/alternative games.

Looking at the current UK games sales for Wii [Wii Sales Link], there are not that many traditional games in the top 30. Trends are changing and not everyone wants a new action game, FPS game or epic RPG, sales of the Wii proves that the majority want something different.

Parents who are buying a console for their children do not really care about Prince of Persia, Rainbow Six or Far Cry on the box, they want games that are going to be good for their children and not get them in the local newspaper. Why else would games like Brain Training/Wii Fit/Mario Party sell in the millions if people wanted hardcore games?

Check the Nintendo DS figures in the UK as well. [DS Sales Link]. Notice whose name is listed there a few times but also notice which games are listed? We make games that will “hopefully” sell to a selected audience. We are a business after all, but Nintendo know which people are their market, just as Sony and Microsoft know who their markets are. Ubisoft have always been aimed at the more mature market (Look at our back catalogue) and in the last few years have started venturing into the casual gaming market. This is because that market now exists, thanks to the rise in popularity of the Wii and DS. The Wii is still a new console and it still has plenty of time to grow, Nintendo know this and Ubisoft know this.

Sorry everybody, but this guy has a point. What sells most on the Wii ? Big Brain Academy, Wii Play, stuff like that.

Videogames company are businesses. They'll do on the Wii what sells on the Wii.
Now don't get mistaken, I love the Wii, that's the first console I got this gen, and I'd love to see more No More Heroes and Boom Blox, but let's face it : is that wrong for a games developper/publisher to make games that will sell ?

Teknoman

Ramenman said:

Sorry everybody, but this guy has a point. What sells most on the Wii ? Big Brain Academy, Wii Play, stuff like that.

Now don't get mistaken, I love the Wii, that's the first console I got this gen, and I'd love to see more No More Heroes and Boom Blox, but let's face it : is that wrong for a games developper/publisher to make games that will sell ?

Thats sorta the point. Those Wii games, aside from RRR 3, most likely arent going to turn much of a profit.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ramenman said:

http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

I feel sorry for Ubisoft. They obviously have no idea what's going on, and can't plan a strategy in the dark. It reminds me of the scene in Predator when Schwarzenegger's squad fires all their ammo blindly into the jungle, reacting to an invisible threat.

It's so sad, because Nintendo gave them the unique chance to be the #1 3rd party on the Wii, when they allowed Red Steel to be the first Wii game ever revealed.

But I think Ubisoft panicked when they saw Nintendo letting Wii Sports be the premier title, instead of Mario or Zelda. They've certainly been firing blind (or throwing shit, if you prefer) ever since.

justchris

Ramenman said:

No, actually, he doesn't. What sells most on the Wii are AAA games, just like on every other console. Among the best selling Wii games are Zelda TP, Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart & Guitar Hero 3. Every single one of those is an AAA game.

What most developers/publishers don't realize is that, as far as Nintendo is concerned: WiiFit == Halo 3 == GTA4

Ramenman said:

Wow, where have you been for the last year and a half? Not only is your statement that games like Big Brain Academy (which bombed in the US IIRC) are the only thing that sells on the Wii completely incorrect, the main issue is that Ubisoft slew of casual crap for the Wii isn't selling. They've said as much. Bah, I could go own showing why every statement that guy made is incorrect, but instead you should read the entire thread. Others have done it many times over.

Ramenman said:

I don't think Big Brain Academy was much of a hit. Also, as has been pointed out many times, plenty of 'traditional' games have been hits on the Wii, and Ubisoft's best-selling Wii games were not similar to what they've recently announced.

Ramenman said:
is that wrong for a games developper/publisher to make games that will sell ?

Except that Ubi is not doing that. They're not making what sells; they've been complaining that their Wii games are not selling, in fact. Yet they aren't even making a sequel to their best-selling (or 2nd best?) Wii game, Red Steel, or anything in a similar vein. Instead, they're continuing to make more of what hasn't sold,

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Ramenman said:

Uhhh look at the traditional games on that list the guy linked to:

As posted by ivysaur12 on the first page said:
3 MARIO KART WII
4 PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 2008
6 SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS
9 SONIC RIDERS: ZERO GRAVITY
10 BOOM BLOX
11 SEGA SUPERSTARS TENNIS
12 GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK
14 THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD 2 & 3 RETURN
16 SUPER MARIO GALAXY
17 SUPER MONKEY BALL: BANANA BLITZ
19 TIGER WOODS
20 LEGO STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA
23 FIFA 08 EA CANADA
24 SPEED RACER: THE VIDEO GAME
25 GHOST SQUAD
26 TOMB RAIDER: ANNIVERSARY
28 MARIO PARTY 8
29 RED STEEL
30 CALL OF DUTY 3

Number 2 on that list is Sonic and Mario at the Olympics, which I would put just as traditional as any others. It's a classic track and field game!! Come on!

There are many traditional games that sold more than Big Brain Accademy!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I also find it hilarious when Ubi states that they're catering to a mass audience with their Petz and Babiez lines when in fact they're specifically targeting the young girl demographic. Unlike Nintendo's broad based efforts, theses game don't appeal to moms, boys, or adult gamers at all. They may have had some success on the DS with this approach, but judging from sales, the Wii userbase is a completely different animal altogether. The well is dry Ubisoft. Try something else.

Opiate

Leondexter said:
I feel sorry for Ubisoft. They obviously have no idea what's going on, and can't plan a strategy in the dark. It reminds me of the scene in Predator when Schwarzenegger's squad fires all their ammo blindly into the jungle, reacting to an invisible threat.

We can say this, but keep in mind that Ubisoft is making money these days. Quite a bit of money. In the same time frame, EA lost money, Midway lost money, Take 2 lost money, SCi/Eidos lost money, among others who have failed to turn a profit.

They're doing some things right, somewhere, even if it's not on the Wii. I agree, their Wii offerings appear paltry. My only defense for them would be: what should they do? Should they take their (profitable) Rainbow Six or Assassin's Creed teams off the PS3/360 and put them on the Wii instead?

It's basically a problem of resources. The answer is to create new Wii specific teams (or if you'd prefer a longer view, new teams with a Wii-esque focus, be it on the Wii or other future platforms that may mimic it), and refine those developers over time into polished, consistent teams like the Splinter Cell or PoP teams. That takes time, though, likely quite a bit of it.

Teknoman said:
Rayman was originally going to be a platformer? Now that I didnt know.

C'mon, do you really think casual gamers are going to buy games like Babiez? Seriously, even young female gamers dont like that kinda stuff. The true point is that after they apologized for making crappy "hardcore" games, they return a year later with crappy "casual" games. I think thats why everyone is up in arms.
I've gotta say, over the past year I've seen a lot of young girls (age 6 to 10) buy all that Imagine shitz. We do sell a lot of that to girls and they seriously like it... on the DS that is. The same stuff never sells well on the Wii, so Ubisoft needs to either quit and concentrate on the 360/PS3 or rethink their strategy.

Jiggy

Ramenman said:
Wii Play is $10 and can be sold to the same people wanting to buy an extra controller; of course it's putting up spectacular numbers. But it's putting them up for reasons that no third-party can emulate.

And Big Brain Academy? As far as I know, it didn't approach the worldwide sales of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Super Paper Mario, Guitar Hero 3, and others--in large part due to its bomba sales in NA due to a ridiculous $50 price point. I don't remember seeing it setting Japan on fire either.

The fact that they were once considered as the top Wii developer into basically nothingness in a span of a year and a half really points a glaring finger towards Ubisoft's massive and utterly destructive failure on the platform.

Hunahan

Banned
Adumaha said:
Wow, that was extraordinarily insightful.

More people need to read this.
Actually, it's an awkwardly realized mish-mash of more popular writings on the subjects of disruptive technology, slapped through a lens to try and make it directly apply to video games, and specifically Nintendo.

That wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is if it wasn't buttered with annoying interjections by a fictional reader, ineffectually attempting to add character to the author's lack of writing ability and forum-worthy tone.

Those in the know will quickly spot that most of the good bits are just swiped directly from other, more popular articles, and it would probably be better for folks to just go straight to the source and read up on the plethora of written material that covers the topics and subjects more concisely and adequately than to bother plowing through this somewhat fanboyish rambling.

Just my opinion, but the whole thing reminds me of someone who sat through a singular lecture of some undergraduate survey course trying to justify his ideas without really having a complete understanding of the subjects he's talking about.

Opiate

Again, let's consider the whole picture here -- let's talk resources. Creating more, high quality teams is the best answer, but that's also a long term answer and quite possibly might not show fruit until very late in this generation, if at all.

Of the higher quality teams that we know are at Ubisoft's disposal, which ones do we propose taking off PS3/360 projects? The Rainbow Six team? Ancel? The Assassin's Creed team? Again, remember that Ubisoft is one of just a few Western developers that are making money right now. They're doing something right, and the above listed teams are almost certainly making money for them.

I ask this question honestly: which of their more established teams should be pulled away? "They should do both! They should do everything!" isn't a reasonable answer. Again, this is about managing limited resources. Now, I expect virtually 100% of Ubisoft's new teams (as they are created over the coming years) to be directed at Wii/DS projects, but with what's available now, their choices do seem difficult, to me.

AniHawk

Hunahan said:
That wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is if it wasn't buttered with annoying interjections by a fictional reader, ineffectually attempting to add character to the author's lack of writing ability and forum-worthy tone.

"BUT MALSTROM" is actually typed FIVE TIMES, and once, TWICE IN A ROW.

Opiate said:
I ask this question honestly: which of their more established teams should be pulled away? "They should do both! They should do everything!" isn't a reasonable answer. Again, this is about managing limited resources. Now, I expect virtually 100% of Ubisoft's new teams (as they are created over the coming years) to be directed at Wii/DS projects, but with what's available now, their choices do seem difficult, to me.
So, why not let's say: take the Babiez and Dogz project and the combined resources and merge them together for just one project that, in theory, can build something better?

Opiate

AlphaTwo00 said:
So, why not let's say: take the Babiez and Dogz project and the combined resources and merge them together for just one project that, in theory, can build something better?

Yep, that's possible. I'm not sure two pieces of crap can combine to create something much better, but it's possible.

Azuran

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Fuck yes I would buy it. Just like I'm going to buy Boom Blox. Just like I bought Team Buddies and Cookie and Cream. I'm not too full of myself to pass on something fun just because it has aesthetics that slant to a younger set. A game is either fun or its not, and that's all I care about.

edit: Here's the game I'm talking about:

box-l.jpg

Holy crap, I love that game. I remember spending hours playing that over and over again back when i was younger.

I should really buy myself a new copy.

agrajag

Banned
Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't see the logical progression from Brain Training and Wii Fit to fucking BABYZ PARTY.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Hate specifically directed at Ubisoft is misplaced. All major publishers are doing this to the Wii. Some don't even get called out on it.

But Ubisoft announces that neither Prince of Persia nor Beyond Good and Evil are coming to the Wii and everybody explodes. Why? Well, probably because both were important 3rd party releases on the GCN. Nintendo fans are feeling a bit betrayed.

But hey, you know. Keep assaulting Ubisoft even though this problem is much more widespread. Meanwhile, publishers like EA, Take-Two, and Activision are even worse on this and they're getting off scott-free.

Maybe if you complain enough they won't cancel Red Steel 2.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Opiate said:
Again, let's consider the whole picture here -- let's talk resources. Creating more, high quality teams is the best answer, but that's also a long term answer and quite possibly might not show fruit until very late in this generation, if at all.

Of the higher quality teams that we know are at Ubisoft's disposal, which ones do we propose taking off PS3/360 projects? The Rainbow Six team? Ancel? The Assassin's Creed team? Again, remember that Ubisoft is one of just a few Western developers that are making money right now. They're doing something right, and the above listed teams are almost certainly making money for them.

You raise an interesting point. If I was a shareholder of the company and looking at the trends of the current industry, I would be slightly alarmed at the majority focus on HD console development and the lack of initiative of using top talent to take advantage of the surging Wii userbase, at least from a long-term growth perspective.

In addition, with the strong possibility of overmilking franchises such as Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six (not to mention developer burnout), why not shuffle the focus of one of these top groups to Wii development? From a financial and a creative standpoint, I think it's a good idea.

Opiate

That seems reasonable to me, BorkBork. I wasn't trying to imply that Ubisoft's hands are tied and they can't possibly do anything to solve this problem; I am only trying to show that these choices are more difficult they might initially appear.

Opiate said:

Fair enough. But what about the Red Steel team? We don't know what they're doing. And yes, maybe Ancel. He seemed to like the Wii, once upon a time at least. I'm stoked as hell about Beyond Good & Evil 2, and have no issues with it being on the HD systems, but from a business standpoint, I wonder if it wouldn't sell better on the Wii than the other consoles, even combined. They could even just make a Wii version.

ZealousD said:
Hate specifically directed at Ubisoft is misplaced. All major publishers are doing this to the Wii. Some don't even get called out on it.

There's one major difference: the CEO's of the other major publishers haven't publicly said their Wii games have been bad, and that they were now going to have "Nintendo quality games".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom