• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you agree that Nintendo has always been better as a portable platform holder vs. a home console one?

Jubenhimer

For nearly 4 decades, Nintendo has been the undisputed king of dedicated portable gaming. Their Game Boy, Nintendo DS, and now Nintendo Switch brands have been synonymous with playing video games on the go, and pretty much crushed every other competing platform in their path. But when it comes to home consoles, the story is a little different. Nintendo's dedicated home gaming systems for the most part, have sold less and less with each generation, with the sole exception of the Wii.

The Nintendo Entertainment System was really the only undisputed success Nintendo had in that field, dominating everything in its path with a near 80% of the market. The Super Nintendo was popular, but also had very stiff competition from Sega's Genesis in North America and Europe. Nintendo 64 was the beginning of the end with its use of cartridges and lack of third party support. The Nintendo GameCube marked an even bigger decline with a childish image, lack of online, and no multi-media functionality compared to its competitors. The Wii was a smash hit with non-gamers and casuals, but had the stigma of not being a "hardcore" system with its focus on motion controls, family games, etc. And the Wii U was barely a blip on everybody's radar with a bizarre name, a bloated gimmick that not even Nintendo themselves could find a good use for, and nearly non-existent third party support.

Meanwhile, their handhelds have consistently been way more successful, and much more well recieved among gamers compared to a lot of their home consoles. Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo 3DS all had tons of games and usually better third party support and software sales than Nintendo's consoles. Even the 3DS, which I always felt had the weakest support of Nintendo's handhelds, still did pretty okay on that end compared to the ghost town of the Wii U. And of course, one of the biggest multimedia franchises in existence, Pokemon, always had its mainline games exclusive to handhelds. People like to say that Nintendo consoles are secondary platforms. But I think this was especially true for last generation, where I'm willing to bet most gamers just got a 3DS for their Nintendo game fix, while the biggest games are played on PS4 or Xbox One.

Now we're at the Nintendo Switch, which is a hybrid system doubling as both a portable and home console with detachable Joy-Con controllers. The Switch is a massive hit, but there is a perception of it depending on how you use the system. If you strictly use it as a home console. IE, do not care for its mobile features and perpetually keep it docked to your TV, then it looks rather weak compared to a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series if you own either of those. In which case, the Switch isn't much different from the past four home consoles Nintendo released in that it's another gimmicky, under-powered system with great first party games, but very little of the biggest third party games. If AAA third party games do come, they're often late "impossible ports" or cloud versions. Which if you own a more powerful console, is pretty pointless.

However. If you regularly use the Switch as a portable console. Playing it un-docked frequently or even exclusively, then its arguably one of the best portable consoles Nintendo has created yet, especially if for whatever reason, it's your only console. Those "Impossible Ports" of AAA third party games look a lot more impressive running on a smaller screen, and hold more value when you can take them on the go. Plus, there's plenty of indie games, AA titles, and unique exclusives releasing for it every month to compliment Nintendo's own games. And there's the added bonus of having an optional TV out for them as well.

Looking at Nintendo's history, it's easy to come to the conclusion that they were always better at being a portable console maker vs. a home console maker. They've just been more consistently successful and well recieved in that market, while their consoles especially after the SNES, have been seen as kind of a joke. Even with the Switch, the glass half empty perspective is that it's a glorified HD Game Boy Player rather than a true home console. Whatever your views on it are, it's hard to deny that Nintendo has always ruled the portable gaming space.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Secondary systems? They're the main and then you can have either a Sony or Microsoft console or a PC on top to cover all bases. The interchangeable are the secondary. Anyway, the more expensive Switch models that offer the home console style capabilities are by far the highest selling too :messenger_winking:

PlayStation was a hit with casuals compared to the nerdorky audiences of systems past, with its WipEout raves and EA sports titles against the competition & PlayStation 2 even more so, that's how the market grows and keeps growing, holding that against Wii is because it otherwise doesn't work for your arguments so you perpetuate that it was only played by Wii Fit soccer moms and otherwise gathered dust when it had a great attach rate (for the era before everyone had a backlog of 100 indie or free via a subscription games) on par with any system you'd not put down over it. It was a great system with loads of gems for all types of gamers, it just so happened some edgelord media and followers were too immature to give it a chance. WiiU's biggest mistake was that it wasn't Wii 2 which with better motion controllers, more power and ace sequels would have sold gazillions.

Last edited:
Up until the DS I‘d agree, didn‘t like the concept of two screens. Oh and with the switch I‘d definitely agree, best Handheld of all time considering its games.

Topher

Gold Member
Secondary systems? They're the main and then you can have either a Sony or Microsoft console or a PC on top to cover all bases.

Anyway, the more expensive Switch models that offer home console capabilities are by far the highest sellings ones for a reason.

Depends on the gamer. PC is my primary system and Switch and PS5 are secondary. It would be interesting to know what the majority of gamers consider their primary gaming system to be though.

Gambit2483

Their absolute best games were on their home consoles so umm...no.

Super Metroid/ALTTP
Ocarina of Time
Smash Bros Melee/Metroid Prime
Super Mario Galaxy
MK8

These were some of the best games for their respective consoles. Nothing on GBA or DS was as ground breaking as these were, as good as those handheld were. Their handhelds did well because they were cheaper, with multi-units per household and had portable versions of their already proven console games.

I'd argue their most popular franchises and game entries all spawned on home console. That's where Nintendo's identity was shaped. Handheld games always felt like a compromise. You took it because what else were you gonna do in the car or at grandma's place, but it was never ideal. It wasn't until the Switch that we got a handheld that had the physical controls and capabilities to run modern games, where it doesn't feel as though too much was sacrificed.

Matsuchezz

They produce cheap ass games and charge a premium for them. I will never understand their success after the GameCube that sucked ass. And how they regurgitate their characters time and time again. But hey if people buy their crap more power to them.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
TOTK warmed my soul I wars blind but now I can see I yes its all true I arm the spirit of gaming

Psybear.jpg

Was true until I got my iPhone, There was some overlap with the 3DS for a while but eventually the 3DS got left home during buisness trips and I just used the iPhone for everything.
Edit now the Switch just stays in the dock.

Last edited:

Closer

Secondary systems? They're the main and then you can have either a Sony or Microsoft console or a PC on top to cover all bases. The interchangeable are the secondary. Anyway, the more expensive Switch models that offer the home console capabilities are by far the highest sellings ones too :messenger_winking:

PlayStation was a hit with casuals compared to the nerdorky audiences of systems past, with its WipEout raves and EA sports titles against the competition & PlayStation 2 even more so, that's how the market grows and keeps growing, holding that against Wii is because it otherwise doesn't work for your arguments so you perpetuate that it was only played by Wii Fit soccer moms and otherwise gathered dust when it had a great attach rate (for the era before everyone had a backlog of 100 indie or free via a subscription games) on par with any system you'd not put down over it. It was a great system with loads of great games for all types of gamers, it just so happened some edgelord media and their followers were too immature to give it a chance. WiiU's biggest mistake was that it wasn't Wii 2 which with better motion, more power and ace sequels would have sold gazillions.

Could not have said it better. Congrats.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Not really. Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter went to the NDS. I think it was because the NDS was selling like crazy. DQ was good, but MH was weird. I look back and while handheld was awesome. The superior version was always on console. The NDS had a lot of good RPGs, but what else did Nintendo have? Wii and Wii U was its own experience.

I think the console is preferred regardless, but where we are at with technology. Having a console in the palm of your hands is a reality.

I liked my SNES more than my GB and Game Gear. I didn’t like my GBA more than my GameCube because of Metroid Prime, RE4, and etc. NDS had the worst Zelda games if ask me, but had some of the best JRPGs and Castlevania games. The Wii and Wii U were just experience for the Switch. The hybrid console/handheld is the best choice. If fits in with the smart phone. Easy to use, on the go, and people feel like they’re doing something besides sitting on the couch.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Games….games what makes me buy Nintendo systems, portable or console and even both.

I don't disagree, but I feel its clear their portables get the most attention by consumers, but that really isn't the fault of anyone and I feel OP's question makes it like its something they could control.

I feel....Nintendo is great at software in both home console and portable, but portable sold better by miles and that is now their default market (sorta has to be)

So I don't think its like a better or worse situation, merely how the market responded. They responded better to Portable, that doesn't mean the software was bad on console, the fact that the very same games moved MILLIONS of units on Switch as ports, goes to show nothing was wrong with the games, merely that the community by in large wish to play them portable.

Jubenhimer

I'd argue their most popular franchises and game entries all spawned on home console. That's where Nintendo's identity was shaped. Handheld games always felt like a compromise. You took it because what else were you gonna do in the car or at grandma's place, but it was never ideal. It wasn't until the Switch that we got a handheld that had the physical controls and capabilities to run modern games, where it doesn't feel as though too much was sacrificed.
As far as creating the best and most influential games in the industry. I agree, their console games were always superior. But as for being well rounded platforms with a wide range of good first and third party games that gamers cared about. Their consoles tended to struggle with that after the SNES compared to their handhelds.

And while their consoles had historically had their best games, I feel the 3DS was the first time Nintendo's handheld games started to match the quality and depth of their console releases with games like Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Kid Icarus Uprising, and Animal Crossing New Leaf. So basically, Nintendo's console games are often regarded as the best in the industry. But their handhelds were often seen as better overall platforms. So with the Switch, you finally have Nintendo's latest AAA console experiences, all in a form factor that they've been more consistently successful with.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
4th gen I was enjoying the Sega Game Gear slightly more. I liked the Advanced SP but not the original (could barely see anything on the screen without the light attachment). DS was nice at first but was in the game way too long. They sorta hit recently as a better portable platform holder with Switch. However, everyone will have a different opinion on how consistent they held up over the past. And as someone's already mentioned; Switch is super popular handheld...but, it's still a console too. Tough call.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nah, but my favorite console is N64. That was more of a Nintendo/Rareware joint venture. It also has the best 3d Mario and Zelda games.

MAX PAYMENT

Their handheld have been sick. But I think their games are best on home consoles.

And now we have the best of both worlds. I look forward to switch 2.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For nearly 4 decades, Nintendo has been the undisputed king of dedicated portable gaming. Their Game Boy, Nintendo DS, and now Nintendo Switch brands have been synonymous with playing video games on the go, and pretty much crushed every other competing platform in their path. But when it comes to home consoles, the story is a little different. Nintendo's dedicated home gaming systems for the most part, have sold less and less with each generation, with the sole exception of the Wii.

The Nintendo Entertainment System was really the only undisputed success Nintendo had in that field, dominating everything in its path with a near 80% of the market. The Super Nintendo was popular, but also had very stiff competition from Sega's Genesis in North America and Europe. Nintendo 64 was the beginning of the end with its use of cartridges and lack of third party support. The Nintendo GameCube marked an even bigger decline with a childish image, lack of online, and no multi-media functionality compared to its competitors. The Wii was a smash hit with non-gamers and casuals, but had the stigma of not being a "hardcore" system with its focus on motion controls, family games, etc. And the Wii U was barely a blip on everybody's radar with a bizarre name, a bloated gimmick that not even Nintendo themselves could find a good use for, and nearly non-existent third party support.

Meanwhile, their handhelds have consistently been way more successful, and much more well recieved among gamers compared to a lot of their home consoles. Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo 3DS all had tons of games and usually better third party support and software sales than Nintendo's consoles. Even the 3DS, which I always felt had the weakest support of Nintendo's handhelds, still did pretty okay on that end compared to the ghost town of the Wii U. And of course, one of the biggest multimedia franchises in existence, Pokemon, always had its mainline games exclusive to handhelds. People like to say that Nintendo consoles are secondary platforms. But I think this was especially true for last generation, where I'm willing to bet most gamers just got a 3DS for their Nintendo game fix, while the biggest games are played on PS4 or Xbox One.

Now we're at the Nintendo Switch, which is a hybrid system doubling as both a portable and home console with detachable Joy-Con controllers. The Switch is a massive hit, but there is a perception of it depending on how you use the system. If you strictly use it as a home console. IE, do not care for its mobile features and perpetually keep it docked to your TV, then it looks rather weak compared to a PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series if you own either of those. In which case, the Switch isn't much different from the past four home consoles Nintendo released in that it's another gimmicky, under-powered system with great first party games, but very little of the biggest third party games. If AAA third party games do come, they're often late "impossible ports" or cloud versions. Which if you own a more powerful console, is pretty pointless.

However. If you regularly use the Switch as a portable console. Playing it un-docked frequently or even exclusively, then its arguably one of the best portable consoles Nintendo has created yet, especially if for whatever reason, it's your only console. Those "Impossible Ports" of AAA third party games look a lot more impressive running on a smaller screen, and hold more value when you can take them on the go. Plus, there's plenty of indie games, AA titles, and unique exclusives releasing for it every month to compliment Nintendo's own games. And there's the added bonus of having an optional TV out for them as well.

Looking at Nintendo's history, it's easy to come to the conclusion that they were always better at being a portable console maker vs. a home console maker. They've just been more consistently successful and well recieved in that market, while their consoles especially after the SNES, have been seen as kind of a joke. Even with the Switch, the glass half empty perspective is that it's a glorified HD Game Boy Player rather than a true home console. Whatever your views on it are, it's hard to deny that Nintendo has always ruled the portable gaming space.
No. What the fuck is wrong with you?
giphy.gif

Jubenhimer

So I don't think its like a better or worse situation, merely how the market responded. They responded better to Portable, that doesn't mean the software was bad on console, the fact that the very same games moved MILLIONS of units on Switch as ports, goes to show nothing was wrong with the games, merely that the community by in large wish to play them portable.
Exactly. People loved Nintendo's home console games, but the home consoles themselves looked a kinda lame compared to Sony and Microsoft's to a lot of people. Nintendo's handhelds however, were much less a joke, and were actually more well received as overall platforms, even if they didn't have Nintendo's highest quality games.

kiphalfton

I respected Nintendo for the GBA, N64, GameCube, all the way up to the Wii U.

BUT I lost pretty much all respect I had for them with the Switch. Portability aspect has always limited their handheld consoles, and when home and portable converged on the Switch, it was a sad moment.

I use my Switch as a home console to portable ratio probably 4:1 time spent and I don't have any issues with it's system power when docked. But I'm too busy having fun with the games to count pixels and try to figure out how many rays are being traced all the time

Sojiro

Depends on the gamer. PC is my primary system and Switch and PS5 are secondary. It would be interesting to know what the majority of gamers consider their primary gaming system to be though.
I honestly imagine most people (talking outside of these forums) don't give a shit and just play whatever they have. There were many gens of consoles where I typically had a PC, some console, and some handheld, but I never considered one a "primary" one and the others secondary, I just played on whichever I felt for that day.

Topher

Gold Member
I honestly imagine most people (talking outside of these forums) don't give a shit and just play whatever they have. There were many gens of consoles where I typically had a PC, some console, and some handheld, but I never considered one a "primary" one and the others secondary, I just played on whichever I felt for that day.

I'm not so sure. If someone has more than one gaming system then I think they are probably conscious of which one they spend the most time playing on. Of course, "don't give a shit" would be just as valid an answer as anything else.

Quantum253

Nintendo has been pretty strong in both handheld and home console markets pretty equally. They have been more innovative lately in the handheld space (DS/3DS), and by lately prior to Switch. Now with Switch it's the perfect amalgamation between the two. The only downside are the social features, found like on the 3DS, are all but gone and taking the system out has never been the same without any street passes. I would welcome a prime hand held again, However (and not switch lite)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Games….games what makes me buy Nintendo systems, portable or console and even both.
yes we know. Did you like their home consoles or their handhelds more? simple ass question.

As for me... no. The Gameboy doesn't really register in my mind when I think of handheld systems worth revisiting. The GBA had a great library but I don't find it as comparable to the Gamecube. Same for Wii and DS. Wii U and 3DS, too.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Ask and you shall receive...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Did you like their home consoles or their handhelds more? simple ass question.
That’s the thing, I buy system solely based on if has the games I don’t want to miss out, being console or portable it didn’t matter to me.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That’s the thing, I buy system solely based on if has the games I don’t want to miss out, being console or portable it didn’t matter to me.
there are some Nintendo systems that have better games than others. he is legit asking which line of them do you prefer...
Season 4 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Like come on. These overly simple "i get their consoles for the games" answers just seek to dilute the thread with nothingburgers that contribute nothing to the actual discussion. Why even make a post here if you're not gonna have much interesting to say?

Poppyseed

No, their best hardware has always been a console

I consider switch a console too, but cannot play it as a handheld. It’s extremely uncomfortable
I’m the complete opposite. My Switch has spend maybe 2 hours docked and a bazillion hours handheld. That said, it’s not a comfortable handheld for big hands, and the d-pad… uh… doesn’t exist. Thank goodness for third-party options.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not always.
But their handhelds were always more consistent in quality and they never had any real competition.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No.
Try playing the Wii without a TV. And if that one wasn’t a success, I don’t know what is. It doesn’t matter that the enthusiasts were laughing about it at the time. The Wii redefined sales expectations for software, with some of its games selling 2-5x compared to the top sellers of the previous generation. And it didn’t even have a mainline Pokémon game.

NES had a de facto monopoly on the console market and the SNES is where dozens of IPs that are still alive today (not only Nintendo’s, a Star Ocean game just came out) were born and found an audience. The legacy alone of those two consoles is the foundation of this market. Look at the controller you’re playing with today, it’s a SNES controller with sticks and prongs.

Meanwhile in the handheld market, Nintendo flourished thanks to battery life and simple, addictive games. The hardware was always trash and the main reason they could continue the lucky streak of the Game Boy is that they struck gold with what is today the world’s most profitable IP. We may not have had even a GB Color without Pokémon, let alone what Nintendo did next in the handheld scene - and always with pretty trashy hardware, because as long as it runs Pokémon, it’s fine for them.

Their handhelds had overall more commercial success, but Nintendo’s best games were always on their main consoles. And if we have to count and name names, before the Switch they had 3 market-defining systems (NES, SNES, Wii) vs 2 handhelds (GB and DS). The GBA sold solidly because of Pokémon at its zenith and virtually no competition, but it wasn’t the same kind of zeitgeist product as the original GB. 3DS was… there, I suppose, but even Nintendo knew it wasn’t another DS.

Nintendo is Nintendo because of home systems first and foremost. When people are asked what games they’d want Nintendo to re-publish/make/master, they usually mention F-Zero GX and Wave Race before a Wario Land collection.

Caio

In terms of "selling numbers" yes, in terms of games, doesn't matter, Nintendo always produce amazing games; if you ask me, N64 and GameCube were my most favourite Nintendo Consoles, while Wii the worse, but this is just my personal taste.

CashPrizes

Nope. NES and SNES are top tier. Gamecube is very good. N64 is trash, Wii is mostly trash, WiiU is actually strong for only existing for like 3 years.

Gameboy sucks, GBC sucks, GBA has some good games but like less then 10 I would return to, DS is great, 3DS is bad.

Switch is very good, if you consider it as a home console it edges out Gamecube for 3rd place. If you consider it a portable it is probably their best, possibly DS is better.

digdug2

I was never much of a handheld gamer, so consoles were always what did it for me. Even my Switch stays docked 95% of the time.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Some of the best games can only be played best or exclusively on their handheld. For example, I'm currently playing dragon quest IV. There wouldn't be Igavanias if it was not of the GBA and NDS.

digdug2

There wouldn't be Igavanias if it was not of the GBA and NDS.
That was actually one of the main reasons I even had handhelds. In order to play Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia, and Portrait of Ruin, you had to have a GBA/DS.

Minsc

Gold Member
No, their best hardware has always been a console

I consider switch a console too, but cannot play it as a handheld. It’s extremely uncomfortable

There are mods that convert it to a similar form factor as the Steam Deck you're aware? And ones that are in-between for like $10. Plus the joycons themselves are able to be swapped out to any design you like. I think it's one of the best handhelds made in terms of form factor, due to the extreme customization of the controllers it allows letting it accommodate nearly anyone's preference.

Last edited:
The majority of my Nintendo experience from my initial N64 through to the Switch OLED has been non-portable gaming and was never interested the Gameboy/DS/3DS etc. That said, I'd rather play a game on a Nintendo handheld such as the Switch than a craptastic microtransaction and ad-infested 'fee-to-pay' grindfest mobile game on my phone. Anyday.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The only way one could come to the OP's conclusion is if they were not around for NES and SNES. So, I dunno. Your experience is your experience.

Even with that, I think peak Nintendo from the point of view of creativity and game output as Cube/GBA/DS, and that Cube part is very important to it.

Top Bottom