• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita TV coming to West as Playstation TV, $99

Toki767

I really wish they'd let us use a Vita as a controller. Just to get around the whole "only certain Vita games are supported" thing.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Only a moment ago i saw the Playstation Tv ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i87unktx0Y

How much SCEA hates Vita? They don't even want to make Playstation Tv more appealing thanks to the ability to play PS1, PSP and PSVita games, but just as remote play device!

SCEA really wants to erase "Vita"(console + games) from people's minds leaving only the "Playstation Tv"(a remote play device that doesn't need games)

I'm wondering why SCEA hates Vita so much and why SCE doesn't punish SCEA for his mismanagement(SCEA's work is to promote Sony products in America, not to bury them).

How much SCEA hates Vita? They don't even want to make Playstation Tv more appealing thanks to the ability to play PS1, PSP and PSVita games, but just as remote play device!

SCEA really wants to erase "Vita"(console + games) from people's minds leaving only the "Playstation Tv"(a remote play device that doesn't need games)

I'm wondering why SCEA hates Vita so much and why SCE doesn't punish SCEA for his mismanagement(SCEA's work is to promote Sony products in America, not to bury them).
It's just a short advert. You don't want to overload people with information during an ad. It doesn't mention PS Now either but PS Now isn't DOA.

zeopower6

They are pushing both features equally in my eyes. :/ The "1000s of games" available thanks to PSN are pretty alluring. But this is also just one ad. There'll probably be another when PS Now debuts.

Shinriji

Is there an official list of compatible Vita games with PsTV?

This is an updated and personal list that currently don't work on the Vita TV

SONY

- Freedom Wars
- Killzone Mercenary (confirmed to be patched in the future)
- Tearaway
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Gravity Rush
- Wipeout 2048
- Unit 13
- Hot Shots Golf World Invitational
- Reality Fighters
- Little Big Planet
- Modnation Racers
- Sly 4
- Super Stardust Delta
- Escape Plan
- Playstation Battle Royale
- Little Deviants
- Monster Radar (+)
- Resistance Burning Skies
- Smart As
- Sound Shapes
- Open Me
- No Heroes Allowed: No Puzzle Either
- Flow
- Flower
- Doki Doki Universe
- Destiny of Spirits

SEGA

- Uta Kumi 575
- Hatsune Miku Project f
- Samurai & Dragons
- Phantasy Star Online 2
- Let's Make a Pro Soccer Club!
- Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
- Super Monkey Ball
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Jet Set Radio

BANDAI NAMCO

- Ridge Racer
- Touch my Katamari
- Tales of Heart R
- Super Heroine Chronicles
- Golden Time Vivid Memories

EA

- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- Fifa Soccer
- Fifa 13
- Fifa 14
- Madden 13

WARNER GAMES

- Spy Hunter
- Batman Arkhan Origins Blackgate
- Injustice: God Among Us Ultimate

KOEI TECMO

- Dynasty Warriors NEXT
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

SPIKE CHUNSOFT

- Kamen Senshi / Guacamelee
- Terraria
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru

CAPCOM

- Street Fighter x Tekken

KONAMI

- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
- New Little King History
- Silent Hill Book of Memories

SQUARE ENIX

- Army Corps of Hell

NIPPON ICHI

- Ciel no Surge

ACTIVISION

- Call of Duty Declassified

ACQUIRE

- Shinobido 2
- Sumioni
- Organrythm

UBISOFT

- Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
- Asphalt Injection
- Rayman Legends

D3 PUBLISHER

- Dream Club Zero Portable

CYBERFRONT

- DJMAX Technika Tune
- WRC 3

KADOKAWA GAMES

- Photokano Kiss

GUNGHO

- Dokuro
- Ragnarok Online Ace

Q ENTERTAINMENT

- Guardian Hearts

COMPILE HEARTS

- Monster Monpiece
- Moero Chronicles

FURYU

- ToLove Ru Battle Ecstasy

RATLOOP

- Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

SONIC POWERED

-@field

ASCII MEDIA WORKS

- Let's Fish!

TATE MULTIMEDIA

- Urban Trial Freestyle

EICONIC GAMES

- Total Recoil

AABB

- AABB Animals

Toki767

That's actually an SCEE commercial, made evidenced by the "This is for the players" line at the end which is the European slogan.

I've synced my Vita up with the keyboard which comes with Pokemon typing adventure
and it works pretty well, the little stand that comes with it perfect for holding the vita too.

It doesn't appear to be fully supported in all applications, and there appears to be little to no documentation about it online.

Bluetooth I assume?

BT Keyboard would be perfect, this is the info I needed :)

jester_

It has "Automatic", 1080i,720p,480i
Well at least the resolution is there, but 30fps will still make it very different feeling on certain games. Thanks for info.

Remote play quality won't be down to network performance or vita hardware (to an extent), it'll be down to how many system resources were reserved on the ps4. Things like CPU/gpu/hdd/memory utilization. Encoding a video stream in real time and broadcasting it with minimal latency most certainly isn't going to be cheap...
Great points, but since it's able to capture/encode at ~1080 just fine with the share button, I would think that it could do 1080i/60fps over a wired connection, maybe sacrificing the ability to record video clips when being used remotely.

I was just hoping for a spec bump going from VitaTV -> PlaystationTV, but I may just end up getting the white GTAV PS4 so my wife and I can LAN some Diablo 3: RoS.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
£85 without a Dualshock 3 isn't exactly cheap and that price is even less attractive when you factor in the expensive memory cards. I think a future purchase for me will depend entirely on the availability and price of Playstation Now in the UK.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I want one, but I'm also curious on how good the marketing is, Sony has with the PS Vita TV. Obviously people want their television and this is good way to sell a product. I'm just curious on how they would market it over say their competition. I'd love to see the Vita sell more units because of this too. I'm just wondering about the market value here.

Anyone have any estimates or rough ideas?

Certinty

£85 is too much for me, especially since I already have a Vita.

Maybe at £70 with 1080p/60fps remote play I would bite though.

Hip Hop

Wow. No wonder they didn't add the "Vita" name on to it. Can't blame them.

That is way too many games and some of them I have.

Whenever I re-purchase a Vita, it will not be this for sure.
I'm really into off-tv anyways, I should not be buying the PS Vita TV just because of that too.

I can't believe they dropped Vita from the billing. Whatever, it seems to be doing pretty well on Amazon charts.

Look at the list Shinriji put up. Too many games not compatible. I think they did right by removing the name.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So can my Vita do what the Vita TV does with regards to PS4 streaming on another TV?

The vita tv not being able to stream at the original res and framerate is a bit of a bummer.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Do they make a device this cheap that works streaming PC games?

That's honestly what I really want. Bluetooth/wireless controller support and streamed from my PC.

Gimme that for $100.

Alchemy

So can my Vita do what the Vita TV does with regards to PS4 streaming on another TV?

The vita tv not being able to stream at the original res and framerate is a bit of a bummer.

Vita doesn't have TV output, so you can only stream the PS4 to your Vita screen using Remote Play. Vita TV basically is just Remote Play from one console to another.

Swass

I'm getting one as soon as it launches, but count me in as someone who would also like the Vita to be used as a controller, would love 100% compatibility.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Vita doesn't have TV output, so you can only stream the PS4 to your Vita screen using Remote Play. Vita TV basically is just Remote Play from one console to another.

Thanks mate, didn't realise the Vita couldn't output to TV; I've always assumed one of those ports bristling all over the Vita was for TV-out :)

Massa

Wow. No wonder they didn't add the "Vita" name on to it. Can't blame them.

That is way too many games and some of them I have.

Whenever I re-purchase a Vita, it will not be this for sure.
I'm really into off-tv anyways, I should not be buying the PS Vita TV just because of that too.

Yes, precisely. When they released a PSP (Go) that couldn't play all PSP games it didn't work out well at all. The Vita name would add nothing but confusion to this product.

Regardless, if they make a success out of selling a cheap console that can play Lego games, Minecraft, Disney Infinity and the like, it would benefit the Vita as well. As far as developers are concerned it is the same platform and that's what matters in the end.

RalchAC

From that list, I'd link stuff that could work well with a few tweaks. Games I've played, obviously.

SONY

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss: Touchscreen controls could be changed for the traditional R2 (reloading) and L2 (grenades). The other touchscreen features are rubbing stuff and all that.
- Wipeout 2048: I think touch screen controls were just limited to menus.
- Unit 13: As far as I remember, touchscreen for menus, jumping and some situational stuff. Could be easily changed.
- Sly 4: It's on PS3. I haven't played it yet. But I don't think it'd be hard to copy-paste the control scheme there, right
- Playstation Battle Royale: Same as Sly.
- Destiny of Spirits: Could work. It won't be that hard IMO.

SEGA

- Sonic All Star Racing Transformed: Same as Wipeout. I don't remember touchscreen controls during races.

EA (PS3 versions of all of those games. It won't be that hard to change the control scheme)

- Need for Speed:
- Fifa Soccer
- Fifa 13
- Fifa 14
- Madden 13

KOEI TECMO

- Dynasty Warriors NEXT: It could work if they put some effort into it. They won't. Just buy DW8, SW4 or WO3U
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (more homeconsole ports)

UBISOFT

- Rayman Legends: It'd be harder. Touchscreen levels everywhere. Fuck them though.

COMPILE HEARTS: Gotta rub stuff guys. It's not the same on the PlayStation TV. It'd be weird to just rub a black thing
DS4
instead of Vita's screen. Don't port beg this.

- Monster Monpiece
- Moero Chronicles

PS: After a while I got tired of putting "there is a PS3 version so why not?" thing. So I deleted ports / multiplats after EA XD

Yes, precisely. When they released a PSP (Go) that couldn't play all PSP games it didn't work out well at all.

The biggest problem with the PSP Go was that it had an $80 premium tacked onto the price as a bribe to retailers, not that it couldn't play every game. :p

Quasar

So what is the technical reasons for 1080i max? Wireless streaming bandwidth? just the vita innards? A TV device that can't stream video 1080p is just kind of weird in this day and age.

RedStep

- Tearaway
- Gravity Rush
- Wipeout 2048
- Unit 13
- Hot Shots Golf World Invitational
- Reality Fighters
- Little Big Planet
- Modnation Racers
- Sly 4
- Super Stardust Delta
- Escape Plan
- Playstation Battle Royale
- Little Deviants
- Resistance Burning Skies
- Smart As
- Sound Shapes
- Open Me
- Flow
- Flower
- Super Monkey Ball
- Virtua Tennis 4
- Jet Set Radio
- Ridge Racer
- Touch my Katamari
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- Fifa Soccer
- Fifa 13
- Fifa 14
- Madden 13
- Spy Hunter
- Batman Arkhan Origins Blackgate
- Injustice: God Among Us Ultimate
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
- Guacamelee
- Terraria
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Street Fighter x Tekken
- Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
- Silent Hill Book of Memories
- Call of Duty Declassified
- Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation
- Asphalt Injection
- Rayman Legends
- Urban Trial Freestyle

Ugh, there goes my enthusiasm. I would expect things like Tearaway not to work, but out of my 51 retail games almost nothing will work. I was looking more for "big-screen Vita" than "tiny PS4". Oh well, will probably grab one just for the hell of it.

mreddie

SONY

- Tearaway
- Gravity Rush
- Wipeout 2048

community-booooo.gif

Zukuu

Banned
How does it work with VITA games? Are they streamed or can I play them natively? Only feature I'm interested in.

Zukuu

Banned
Natively. It is a Vita.

might dig in then if I can find one cheap. There is a bunch of VITA games I'm interested in. Only thing that held me back from getting one, is the missing VIDEO OUT. CBA about playing on a small screen when I have a fucking 40" tv right in front of me.

hwy_61

Banned
QUESTION for you Vita TV owners out there. So, this is kinda complicated, but here goes:

I have two routers set up for wifi in my house. The secondary router is hooked up to the primary router via 100ft ethernet cable. The reason for this is because I have a lot of thick walls, which makes for a poor signal in some of the areas. If I were to buy a Vita TV, I would have it connected via wifi to the primary router, and my PS4 is connected via a wired connection to the secondary router. Can I still stream my PS4 to the Vita TV despite them being connected to different routers?

Anyone?

Kieli

Yikes. There's some pretty important games on that list that aren't compatible.

Virtue's Last Reward, Gravity Rush (not a fan, but it's unique and cult-popular), Terraria, etc...

hwy_61

Banned
Couldn't you get an Ethernet powerline adapter instead of using another router?
Now your whole house is running on your powerline directly/wired instead of WIFI.

I didn't know such a thing existed...wow. You sir have changed my life.

I just had the second router lying around. That's why I'm set up they way I am!

Top Bottom