• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony should release a Playstation Portable PC (PPP) to compete against other portable PCs like Steam Deck and Asus ROG Ally

Neofire

Hell no, let PC manufacturers worry about portable PC handheld. Sony needs to push their own platforms they have out.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It doesn’t make sense to do so unless they could do it cheaper with better hardware than the competition. It would be a niche product at a very expensive price point and they already have a couple of these in the edge controller and PSVR system.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony already struggle to support the platforms with a steady stream of first-party games already. Introducing another SKU that you have to optimize for etc. doesn't sound like a good idea.

You’re saying the release rate of first party games is unhealthy right now?

Hudo

You’re saying the release rate of first party games is unhealthy right now?
It's slowly improving but it could be better, yes. And with regards to PSVR2, they really need to get their shit together.

Edit: I know that Jim Ryan's "strategy" is for Sony to release fewer but bigger games, but I don't think that's a good idea for a platform holder. A platform holder usually has the luxury of spending a bit of money to do weird games from time to time, that are a bit smaller in scope but not as "safe". And I wish Sony would return to that. They were really great in that regard during the PS2 era and early PS3 era.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

What's the point of releasing another piece of hardware, then fail to suport it with software and let it die. Vita, PSVR and PSVR2 is a trend, Sony doesn't have the horses or desire to support anything other than the main home console, instead they increase prices. Playstation Portal is nearly a zero risk device to widen their market. Sony can barely keep up with this current generation development, just like everyone else. I'm really starting to dislike this version of Sony under Jim Ryan, definitely not for the players.

I'd personally love something more like the Vita with better controller options (L2//R3). That form factor is amazing, the OLED is amazing, even in 2023. The weight of the device, it's perfection. Don't go chasing the Handheld PC market, unless you plan on supporting it somehow with automatic demake ports of PS4 or PS5 content, PS2 and PS3 emulation and Vita, PSP emulation.

Three

They should make a portable PS4 really. It will probably hold back the PS5 with some devs aiming for it and just having PS5 play the PS4 game but as long as they don't try and make it mandatory it shouldn't be too much of a problem to have a portable system. They seem to have gone for strict PS5 though and remote play for a portable.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What's the point of releasing another piece of hardware, then fail to suport it with software and let it die. Vita, PSVR and PSVR2 is a trend, Sony doesn't have the horses or desire to support anything other than the main home console, instead they increase prices. Playstation Portal is nearly a zero risk device to widen their market. Sony can barely keep up with this current generation development, just like everyone else. I'm really starting to dislike this version of Sony under Jim Ryan, definitely not for the players.

I'd personally love something more like the Vita with better controller options (L2//R3). That form factor is amazing, the OLED is amazing, even in 2023. The weight of the device, it's perfection. Don't go chasing the Handheld PC market, unless you plan on supporting it somehow with automatic demake ports of PS4 or PS5 content, PS2 and PS3 emulation and Vita, PSP emulation.

They don’t need to support it with software. Its a PC like Steam Deck so PC players can run Steam or other PC launcher

Ozzie666

They don’t need to support it with software. Its a PC like Steam Deck so PC players can run Steam or other PC launcher

Not sure how Sony is going to make money off a PC handheld device without a PSN store or their own content, the Epic store?Or It surely won't be from the hardware and not from their PC releases. To compete, they need to be able to sustain loses on the hardware. Valve got it right with their Steam library and store front being essential for existing customers. So I'm not exactly sure what your thinking Sony would do. Actually, the Sony Portal is what they would do, doesn't need native software support.

nial

Gold Member
I know that Jim Ryan's "strategy" is for Sony to release fewer but bigger games, but I don't think that's a good idea for a platform holder.
That was said by someone who isn't even at SIE anymore.

K2D

Banned
Wouldn't that fly in the face of their console venture? They don't even have their own pc games store.

Sony doesn't care about making a dedicated portable console but all of a sudden they should make a portable PC???

LOL!

They even sold the VAIO brand like 9 years ago....

That would make about as much financial sense for Sony as releasing a Playstation console whose games have to be bought on the Xbox store.

yurinka

Edit: I know that Jim Ryan's "strategy" is for Sony to release fewer but bigger games, but I don't think that's a good idea for a platform holder.
That was said by someone who isn't even at SIE anymore.
Jim Ryan or anyone at Sony never said that, that was a lie from Bloomberg that already was publicly debunked:

Hermen said soon after that Bloomberg article that they have more 1st party games under development than ever before from many different genres and game types: both big and small, both SP and MP, both more tradidional safer big blockbusters or more smaller, experimental, creative and unique titles like Death Stranding, Dreams or Astro's Playroom.

Jim Ryan's strategy is the opposite than making fewer games: what Jim Ryan said is that PS5 will have more exclusives than any other previous PlayStation console. He highly increased the amount of 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusives in the works.

Regarding small games, he created a new division, PlayStation Indies, to support way more small games than before. He also created the China Hero Project and India Hero Project to support even more games coming from these countries. Media Molecule and Team Asobi are both working on new games and their teams are growing.

Sony already struggle to support the platforms with a steady stream of first-party games already
What a funny joke

Last edited:

yurinka

I thought Shawn Layden said it? But I wouldn't be surprised about Bloomberg lying tho.
I just did a search and I found Shawn Layden quotes from 2019 (before he was replaced) regarding this topic:

"I think we've done a lot over the last three or four years to get us to a place right now where we're building fewer games per year than ever before, but we're spending more time, more energy, certainly more money, on making them.

So we're striking on all the beats that we want to, and we're getting both critical and commercial acclaim. Let's see now what we might add to our arsenal. I've looked at some opportunities in the past, it's an opportunity to look for the ones that are the best cultural fit."

"And with our decision to do fewer games -- bigger games -- over longer periods of time, we got to a point where June of 2019 was not a time for us to have a new thing to say. And we feel like if we ring the bell and people show up here in force, people have expectation "Oh, they're going to tell us something.

We are progressing the conversation about, how do we transform E3 to be more relevant? Can E3 transition more into a fan festival of gaming, where we don't gather there to drop the new bomb? Can't it just be a celebration of games and have panels where we bring game developers closer to fans?"

So yes, he said something like that, even if I assume he means that AAA now took more time to be made than in the past. Back then they were working in games like Dreams or Astro's Playroom.

They are struggling this year and have been hit by delays, but I expect next year to be better.
Bullshit, 2023 is one of the most packed years in gaming history.

Regarding exclusives they had Forspoken, Horizon CoM, Gran Turismo 7 VR, RE Village VR, RE4R VR, HFW Burning Shores, Humanity, Final Fantasy XVI, Firewall Ultra and will have Helldivers 2, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade and more I may forget, specially from indies. On top of that they also released MLB, Destiny 2 Lightfall and PC ports, several accesories and also marketed 3rd party stuff that has marketing deal with them or some smaller exclusivity (like Street Fighter 6 or RE4R not being released in Xbox One).

They are not struggling at all.

Last edited:

Woopah

I just did a search and I found Shawn Layden quotes from 2019 (before he was replaced) regarding this topic:

"I think we've done a lot over the last three or four years to get us to a place right now where we're building fewer games per year than ever before, but we're spending more time, more energy, certainly more money, on making them.

So we're striking on all the beats that we want to, and we're getting both critical and commercial acclaim. Let's see now what we might add to our arsenal. I've looked at some opportunities in the past, it's an opportunity to look for the ones that are the best cultural fit."

"And with our decision to do fewer games -- bigger games -- over longer periods of time, we got to a point where June of 2019 was not a time for us to have a new thing to say. And we feel like if we ring the bell and people show up here in force, people have expectation "Oh, they're going to tell us something.

We are progressing the conversation about, how do we transform E3 to be more relevant? Can E3 transition more into a fan festival of gaming, where we don't gather there to drop the new bomb? Can't it just be a celebration of games and have panels where we bring game developers closer to fans?"

So yes, he said something like that, even if I assume he means that AAA now took more time to be made than in the past. Back then they were working in games like Dreams or Astro's Playroom.

Bullshit, 2023 is one of the most packed years in gaming history.

Regarding exclusives they had Forspoken, Horizon CoM, Gran Turismo 7 VR, RE Village VR, RE4R VR, HFW Burning Shores, Humanity, Final Fantasy XVI, Firewall Ultra and will have Helldivers 2, Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade and more I may forget, specially from indies. On top of that they also released MLB, Destiny 2 Lightfall and PC ports, several accesories and also marketed 3rd party stuff that has marketing deal with them or some smaller exclusivity (like Street Fighter 6 or RE4R not being released in Xbox One).

They are not struggling at all.
If Sony was having a strong year for console first party games (like 2020 or 2022) you wouldn't have to include third games, PC ports and DLC in a conversation about Sony published PS5 games.

Marketing deals and Street Fighter 6 and RE4R not being on Xbox One have nothing to do with Sony's development ot publishing resources.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Hrrrm, Sony, portables and peripherals..

Sony, portables and peripherals

Sony.., Portables and peripherals...

4yynhMo.jpg

yurinka

If Sony was having a strong year for console first party games (like 2020 or 2022) you wouldn't have to include third games, PC ports and DLC in a conversation about Sony published PS5 games.

Marketing deals and Street Fighter 6 and RE4R not being on Xbox One have nothing to do with Sony's development ot publishing resources.
A platform holder like Sony spreads their marketing efforts across 1st party, 2nd party, 3rd party exclusives, big expansions, multiplatform games with marketing deals (some of them like SF6 and RE4R with generation exclusivity since they aren't on Xbox One), hardware releases, accesories releases, now also movies+tv shows and so on.

On top of that, these marketing slots have to be carefully placed to don't conflict with multiplatform superseller games that have no special deal with them but still will sell a lot on their console, so will give them a lot of money too.

It's retarded and nonsensical to act as if only the 1st party games exist and the rest of things wouldn't be part of their lineup, part of their marketing and releases roadmap.

Last edited:

Woopah

A platform holder like Sony spreads their marketing efforts across 1st party, 2nd party, 3rd party exclusives, big expansions, multiplatform games with marketing deals (some of them like SF6 and RE4R with generation exclusivity since they aren't on Xbox One), hardware releases, accesories releases, now also movies+tv shows and so on.

On top of that, these marketing slots have to be carefully placed to don't conflict with multiplatform superseller games that have no special deal with them but still will sell a lot on their console, so will give them a lot of money too.

It's retarded and nonsensical to act as if only the 1st party games exist and the rest of things wouldn't be part of their lineup, part of their marketing and releases roadmap.
But the comment was not about Sony's entire roadmap of everything. It was about first party games on PS5. Anything which isn't for PS5 or isn't published by Sony is irrelevant.

Let's put it this way. If I was to ask you to judge the strength of "first party games on Xbox Series in 2022" "would you take any of the below into account? I wouldn’t, since they don't fit the criteria.

Vampire Survivor
High on Life
Immortality
Scorn
Tunic
Halo TV show
Flight Simultor, Sea Of Thieves and Forza DLC
Ravenlok
Elder Scrolls Online expansion
All the different Gamepass deals like Outriders, Two Point Campus ect. ect.

Edit: To pick up on a slightly different point you made. If a game is available on Switch but not PS4 or Xbox One, does that mean Nintendo has generation exclusivity?

Last edited:
It would need to be more of a console than a portable PC. I'd like to see a system that was fully optimized and could play any PS5 game portably. However.. the question of scalability comes up, could you get that much power in a small portable system?

Interestingly I think Xbox may be better positioned to pull this off. Since the Series S exists and every game on their platform is already optimized for a lower spec, it would be easier for them to release a portable system someday that is able to replicate or emulate the Series S performance profile. Whereas Sony would need to specifically optimize everything for their Portable System.. and they are already cross producing with the PSVR2. I'd put a big doubt on them going into the dedicated handheld market anytime soon.

Last edited:

Keihart

It's slowly improving but it could be better, yes. And with regards to PSVR2, they really need to get their shit together.

Edit: I know that Jim Ryan's "strategy" is for Sony to release fewer but bigger games, but I don't think that's a good idea for a platform holder. A platform holder usually has the luxury of spending a bit of money to do weird games from time to time, that are a bit smaller in scope but not as "safe". And I wish Sony would return to that. They were really great in that regard during the PS2 era and early PS3 era.
PS's first party has done absolutley nothing for me this gen and the ones i cared about were crossgen (GOWR) and a remake (DS).
Eventually ND is gonna put a game out i guess, but bruh, way to make me not care about the platform this gen, good on me i guess, i dont have to keep resubing to PS+ with those prices either.

Hudo

PS's first party has done absolutley nothing for me this gen and the ones i cared about were crossgen (GOWR) and a remake (DS).
Eventually ND is gonna put a game out i guess, but bruh, way to make me not care about the platform this gen, good on me i guess, i dont have to keep resubing to PS+ with those prices either.
I feel the same since the PS4 (which I ended up selling). And lo and behold, now some people give me shit for it.

But hey, if people in this thread are pleased with Sony's first-party output the last couple of years, more power to you!

Last edited:

Woopah

Not really. They have Spiderman 2 as their major fall release and have a number of 3rd party exclusives still in the pipeline for a 2023 release.
But the question was about first party games. Third party games are irrelevant.

It would be like saying "In 2017 Nintendo Switch had strong third party games like Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2, Arms and Mario Odyssey"

But the question was about first party games. Third party games are irrelevant.

3rd party exclusives are still first-party published/endorsed titles. They're not irrelevant.

They're games directly financed by Sony and delivered for their platform. They exist and PS gamers can buy and play them.

It seems absurdly arbitrary to deny their existence just to be able to make a contrived argument that Sony hasn't delivered exclusive games in a given year.

Darko

An handheld PS4 that could stream PS5 games would’ve been a much more appealing option but they would be investing a ton of money on it.
That’s what I want.. that way they don’t have to port everything and have a limited library.. just keep the ps4 alive through / handheld

Woopah

3rd party exclusives are still first-party published/endorsed titles. They're not irrelevant.

They're games directly financed by Sony and delivered for their platform. They exist and PS gamers can buy and play them.

It seems absurdly arbitrary to deny their existence just to be able to make a contrived argument that Sony hasn't delivered exclusive games in a given year.
But no one mentioned delivering exclusive games. Exclusive and third party are not the same.

MLB The Show on PS5 is first party, but not exclusive. FFXVI and Forspoken are exclusive but not first party.

Monster Hunter Rise, SMTV and No More Heroes 3 were never first party Nintendo games. Titanfall was never a first party Microsoft game.

But no one mentioned delivering exclusive games. Exclusive and third party are not the same.

MLB The Show on PS5 is first party, but not exclusive. FFXVI and Forspoken are exclusive but not first party.

Monster Hunter Rise, SMTV and No More Heroes 3 were never first party Nintendo games. Titanfall was never a first party Microsoft game.

You're making meaningless distinctions to distract from the original point that you made that Sony was failing to deliver exclusive games for PS5, which is categorically false when you consider their slate of first and third-party exclusives.

Exclusive games don't somehow not count just because they're 3rd party developed/published. As a PS5 gamer, between Spiderman 2 and FFXVI, I've had some really great top-tier exclusives to play this year.

Woopah

You're making meaningless distinctions to distract from the original point that you made that Sony was failing to deliver exclusive games for PS5, which is categorically false when you consider their slate of first and third-party exclusives.

Exclusive games don't somehow not count just because they're 3rd party developed/published. As a PS5 gamer, between Spiderman 2 and FFXVI, I've had some really great top-tier exclusives to play this year.
That is a lie. I never said anything about the strength of exclusive games.

The quote I responded to specified Sony first party games. My comment was about Sony first party games.

The only people talking about "exclusives" are those trying to put words in my mouth.

I'm happy to have a discussion about something I said. But I never made any comment about the strength of PS5 exclusive games.

Edit: Sorry I triggered you

Last edited:
Top Bottom