• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ape this game, not Gof of War, and make a new Castlevania please/

url-21.gif

Apathy

The guy from GT is going to get a nice big muffin basket from Sony or From. He really is really getting people hyped from a 30 minute slice of early gameplay. The hype train is real again

Diff type of warewolf I would assume, The Order warewolf was closer to human still maintaining powers of speech unlike the beast that what we might be seeing here.

Yeah, but still this one looks more like the classic werewolfs of old... not like some overgrown hairy Gollum like creature... but i digress.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Imru’ al-Qays;116003990 said:
A little, but not really. New Londo isn't really frightening, it's just dreary. The ghosts are gimmicks: at the point in the game you usually go to New Londo they're really easy to kill provided you don't forget to pop Transient Curses. The level design is pretty straightforward. Once you get down below the Darkwraiths are intimidating at first, but they're basically just like the black and silver knights you've fought plenty of at this point in the game.

Latria, specifically 3-1, is a totally different story. It's dark and mazelike, first of all: it's very, very easy to get hopelessly lost, or to fall to your death down a pit. The sound design, as has been mentioned, is phenomenal: as you're wandering around lost you hear the moans of the prisoners, the screams of Lord Rydell (though you won't know who it is), the tinkling bells of the mindflayers, and sometimes out of nowhere operatic singing. The "hollow" prisoners moan and follow you around worshipfully but don't attack, so you get into the habit of ignoring them - except some of them do attack, without warning, when you enter their cells. The mindflayer guards are absolutely perfect. They're terrifying, and so your instinct is to play extremely cautiously, but that's exactly what'll get you paralyzed and brainsucked: the best way to kill them is to just bite the bullet and rush up to them and melee them down, which is exactly the opposite of everything Souls teaches you.

3-1 is the most scared I can ever recall being in a game, and that's including survival horror games like Dead Space and Amnesia.
Hmm, I think New Londo Ruins is probably a bit scarier, but my first time playing it was pre-patch with increased aggro from the darkwraiths and ghosts didn't drop souls and very rarely dropped transient curses (and you couldn't buy them from Ingward. Without moderate or high poise ghosts can stunlock the shit out of you too. Whereas, while it was scary and atmospheric, Latria 3-1 is really quite easy, especially with the Thief's ring. The mindflayers hit hard but they die pretty fast, once you figure them out they are no longer a threat and the level becomes a breeze (whereas the ghosts can still gank you even if you expect them, especially in that room before you climb up the roof to reach Ingward). And of course the boss is much scarier than the pushover Fool's Idol. ;)

I do agree with the atmosphere and level design, Latria is my favourite area of all the Souls games combined after all. But I think it's just been too long and I forgot how scary it could be, it's a breeze for me nowadays, whereas I'm still kind of careful in New Londo.

I meant something more akin to a Meat Cleaver build.
Oh. I wouldn't call that a "bullshit zweihander-type build" though. For one thing, MC is worthless without Light Weapon so once the buff is expired you can go to town. ;) For the similar moveset and much more power I'd use a cursed gaxe, now that is scary to fight (and still hits like a brick without CW).

Imru’ al-Qays;116003990 said:
A little, but not really. New Londo isn't really frightening, it's just dreary. The ghosts are gimmicks: at the point in the game you usually go to New Londo they're really easy to kill provided you don't forget to pop Transient Curses. The level design is pretty straightforward. Once you get down below the Darkwraiths are intimidating at first, but they're basically just like the black and silver knights you've fought plenty of at this point in the game.

Latria, specifically 3-1, is a totally different story. It's dark and mazelike, first of all: it's very, very easy to get hopelessly lost, or to fall to your death down a pit. The sound design, as has been mentioned, is phenomenal: as you're wandering around lost you hear the moans of the prisoners, the screams of Lord Rydell (though you won't know who it is), the tinkling bells of the mindflayers, and sometimes out of nowhere operatic singing. The "hollow" prisoners moan and follow you around worshipfully but don't attack, so you get into the habit of ignoring them - except some of them do attack, without warning, when you enter their cells. The mindflayer guards are absolutely perfect. They're terrifying, and so your instinct is to play extremely cautiously, but that's exactly what'll get you paralyzed and brainsucked: the best way to kill them is to just bite the bullet and rush up to them and melee them down, which is exactly the opposite of everything Souls teaches you.

3-1 is the most scared I can ever recall being in a game, and that's including survival horror games like Dead Space and Amnesia.

This is a great post. Also 3-1 is one of the few levels (if not the only one) to have patrolling enemies, although their pathways may seem simple enough, they add a new layer of unpredictability. Most of the souls game, dying means experience in the level layout but also the enemy locations, and you knew the next time you'll reach the area, they will be there, in the same exact location, you would know when did they saw you and moved to kill you.

That dosn't happens in 3-1, the simple pathway adds uncertainity, the mindflyers may not be in the same location as last time, you didn't know where his path starts and ends (unless you observe him, something not always possible). Some of them converge very near the other, some of them may turn around in the least expected moment, just before trying to go for a backstab, you just may find that the pathway leads them to a place you didn't expect, etc...

That's why is one of my favorite levels in the game, not only the ambientation and level design is superb, the mindflayers are such a good enemy. The game teach you to be careful and let you learn enemy locations and act accordingly. 3-1 is a totally curve balls and works beautifully in the context of the game.

Is one of the reasons I think Demon Souls has the best level design of the souls series.

Duckroll I'll take "Think" as my custom title as an apology for threatening to Ban me over what I said in the other thread that ended up being exactly as I predicted it would be.

Judging from this Sony stream showing nothing of Dead Island 2 except the trailer, I don't think we'll be seeing gameplay of Bloodborne later.

Yeah, you're right.They said they'll talk about the exclusive Dead Island 2 beta at Gamescom (probably they'll show gameplay there).

So Bloodborne gameplay at TGS?

Shredderi

Judging from this Sony stream showing nothing of Dead Island 2 except the trailer, I don't think we'll be seeing gameplay of Bloodborne later.

Exactly. I actually expected to see some gameplay during these interviews from dead island 2, so if that is a no-show then I'm pretty damn sure that we won't see stuff that was being shown inside closed doors.

Impress me by proving me wrong

duckroll

Duckroll I'll take "Think" as my custom title as an apology for threatening to Ban me over what I said in the other thread that ended up being exactly as I predicted it would be.

Considering how everyone who has actually seen the game has talked about it feeling exactly like a Souls game and no one remotely suggested that it is like Castlevania or Devil May Cry, and no one seems to be disappointed in the game at all, no I think you'll take me telling you not to tease things without knowing what you're talking about in future and be happy with it. You predicted nothing. Deal with it.

Zeliard

You said it'd be a Devil May Cry-esque action game, and none of the impressions from people who saw gameplay support that whatsoever.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

What out of any of the previews gives you the impression that this is going to be like Devil May Cry...?

Quick summary translation of a 4Gamer.com interview with Miyazaki:

Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies?
A: You will feel alone.

Q: Does the game take place only in Yharnam?
A: Basically it's just in Yharnam but the city is massive and the game will take place during various times of day and weather.

Q: Will there be other transforming weapons?
A: That's a secret for now but you may assume so. Look forward to learning all the ways to use individual weapons.

Q: (a question about dual wielding the same weapon)
A: Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.

Considering how everyone who has actually seen the game has talked about it feeling exactly like a Souls game and no one remotely suggested that it is like Castlevania or Devil May Cry, and no one seems to be disappointed in the game at all, no I think you'll take me telling you not to tease things without knowing what you're talking about in future and be happy with it. You predicted nothing. Deal with it.

Hold that L DuckRoll. Deny it, but it's exactly what I said.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

jeez you are just asking for a ban dude

you didn't predict anything, you fronted like an insider

Hmm, I think New Londo Ruins is probably a bit scarier, but my first time playing it was pre-patch with increased aggro from the darkwraiths and ghosts didn't drop souls and very rarely dropped transient curses (and you couldn't buy them from Ingward. Without moderate or high poise ghosts can stunlock the shit out of you too. Whereas, while it was scary and atmospheric, Latria 3-1 is really quite easy, especially with the Thief's ring. The mindflayers hit hard but they die pretty fast, once you figure them out they are no longer a threat and the level becomes a breeze (whereas the ghosts can still gank you even if you expect them, especially in that room before you climb up the roof to reach Ingward). And of course the boss is much scarier than the pushover Fool's Idol. ;)

I do agree with the atmosphere and level design, Latria is my favourite area of all the Souls games combined after all. But I think it's just been too long and I forgot how scary it could be, it's a breeze for me nowadays, whereas I'm still kind of careful in New Londo.

I think part of it for me was that 3-1 was the third Souls level I'd ever played. I'd cleared 1-1 and 2-1 and I was starting to feel like I was getting the hang of things. And then 3-1 totally kicked my ass: I was lost and whatever weapon I was using (probably a winged spear) wasn't doing enough damage to burst the mindflayers down reliably. When I first got to New Londo I knew what I was doing, I had some sort of elemental halberd and I was wearing Havel's and shit just wasn't hurting me.

I doubt any level in a Souls game could make me feel that afraid again just because I'm so much better at the games now than I was then. But I'm sure as hell glad Miyazaki is going to try!

A: Basically it's just in Yharnam but the city is massive and the game will take place during various times of day and weather.

You know, I was thinking the other day how the souls series was in need variety of weather. DSII has rain, I know, but is not enough.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm sure this has already been posted (can't keep up!) but Kotaku's writeup is absolutely amazing and hype-defining:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/11/bloodborne-much-like-souls-game-spooky

I Townspeople clad in quasi-Victorian apparel - long coats, elaborate hats - lumber around the streets, attacking on sight. In the distance, a crowd of them gather around some crucified monster as it burns on its cross, watching wordlessly. It is profoundly chilling. I was gripped by curiosity at what was going on here, battling with a simultaneous urge to run away and never look back - exactly the same feeling that I get upon entering some unknown area in Souls.

Towards the end of the bridge, though, something massive and horrendous climbs up to meet him. It's... I can't even describe it. It's like a massive undead goat demon, its ribs exposed, one side of its monstrous body covered in hanging moss. But the heart-stopping thing about it is the sound. It emitted this unbelievably discomfiting, echoing scream that sounded like it was coming from somewhere underwater, a sound that got louder and reverberated more intensely with proximity. Within about twenty seconds it had picked the blood-soaked protagonist up in its horrible claw and thrown him off the bridge.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

So, what's with the quotation marks besides trying to make it look like you actually knew something?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115710344&postcount=1124
I "think" people don't understand what kind of game this. This is not a souls game & does NOT play like one. This is more of a Castlevania/DevilMayCry action game. The game is much more fast paced than the Souls games. People are setting themselves up for disappointment.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115711655&postcount=1135
No that sounds like a Devil May Cry game outside of customization.

Edit:

By the way you guys can think whatever you want about the game. Im just saying if you are expecting a game that plays like a Souls Game & has similar gameplay concepts in mind you "might" be disappointed.

No I didn't go read my posts & follow up posts. I said more action oriented "like castlevania/dmc". Mosified Souls engine.

And that's still wrong, there's nothing that indicates that the combat system resembles castlevania/dmc. At the contrary, previews suggest that is more strategic that ever and largely still plays like a souls games, which goes against to high speed action games you mentioned.

duckroll

Yeah seriously, if they had something to show they would have showed it at the Sony Conference

I think it could go either way. Nintendo only had a full cutscene story trailer for Xenoblade X at their event stream, but Treehouse did a full one hour playthrough from the title screen to the first city later on. I guess we should expect nothing and hope for the best.

I think it could go either way. Nintendo only had a full cutscene story trailer for Xenoblade X at their event stream, but Treehouse did a full one hour playthrough from the title screen to the first city later on. I guess we should expect nothing and hope for the best.

okay well will the stream be on the playstation channel on twitch?

Kieli

I bet Deckard's the type to double-down on his claims, however logical or nonsensical they may be. His defence increases everytime you try logic on him.

That Kotaku article got me so freaking excited for this.

I love how it sounds like careful exploration and observing everything in the environment is still key to success, but once you engage with enemies things are faster and more chaotic. I'm totally fine with that after however many hours I've spent circle strafing in the Souls games.

No I didn't go read my posts & follow up posts. I said more action oriented "like castlevania/dmc". Mosified Souls engine.

Your wrong.

Its nothing like DMC/Castlevania in gameplay. Battle system is still like a Souls game, the twist being you now don't have a shield but instead a stun locking firearm and have ti play aggressively.

But the FR issues, how will they show that to the public?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is a great post. Also 3-1 is one of the few levels (if not the only one) to have patrolling enemies,
Oh yes, good point. That's one thing that was missing in Dark Souls and Dark Souls II (Dark Souls's DLC had one or two patrolling stone giants, but they were in an optional section and not really that threatening); moving/patrolling enemies. Even Demon's Souls could have used more of such enemies, really. The only other moving enemies I can think of is the Meat Cleaver BP in 5-2 and the flying mantas in world 4. Non-static enemies is the one thing that was missing from the Souls games. Adding that in will make the game more unpredictable and far scarier.

Oh man I cannot wait. Is it March 2015 yet?

Why can't people just released good, ol' fashioned gameplay screens with the HUD and everything anymore?
"Anymore"? When has that ever been true ever since FMVs were a thing? XD

Quick summary translation of a 4Gamer.com interview with Miyazaki:

Q: Will zones only be filled with enemies?
A: You will feel alone.

Q: Will there be other transforming weapons?
A: That's a secret for now but you may assume so. Look forward to learning all the ways to use individual weapons.

Q: (a question about dual wielding the same weapon)
A: Weapons are divided by right and left hand so you cannot dual wield certain weapons.
Shame about no dual wielding. Powerstancing is the best addition of Dark Souls II, IMO. But that's okay, at least we can't pew pew with dual shotguns, probably a good thing.

Edit: oh forgot to say, YAY on different times of day/weather! Awesome.

Imru’ al-Qays;116011226 said:
I think part of it for me was that 3-1 was the third Souls level I'd ever played. I'd cleared 1-1 and 2-1 and I was starting to feel like I was getting the hang of things. And then 3-1 totally kicked my ass: I was lost and whatever weapon I was using (probably a winged spear) wasn't doing enough damage to burst the mindflayers down reliably. When I first got to New Londo I knew what I was doing, I had some sort of elemental halberd and I was wearing Havel's and shit just wasn't hurting me.

I doubt any level in a Souls game could make me feel that afraid again just because I'm so much better at the games now than I was then. But I'm sure as hell glad Miyazaki is going to try!
True enough. I did struggle early on in 3-1 but that was so long ago that I almost forgot that feel, lol. I went to New Londo fairly early on in my first playthrough, pre-patch/pre-nerf and got ganked by those ghosts really hard, and the dreadful feeling of not knowing when the transient curse would expire was terrifying. So you're right, it does depend on the timing of when you explore that place the first time.

I'm sure this has already been posted (can't keep up!) but Kotaku's writeup is absolutely amazing and hype-defining:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/11/b...ls-game-spooky
Nice. Is Keza McDonald at Kotaku now or was she just a guest writer? I recall her being at IGN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom