• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2014 Edition

NotSelf

Hi everyone, first let me apologize if this thread is not the place for what i'm going to ask.

I see all of these amazing setups, and i am currently before renovating the house.
It would be greatly appreciated, if i could get some tips or guides and tutorials to make amazing looking setups.
Mainly cable and wire arrangement, my goal is to hide them inside the walls in a tube so everything along the home will seem wireless.

I also liked a lot of the furniture and game/movie picture frames, so any good tips on those would be greatly appreciated too. :)

Thanks, I want to make a kick ass home too !

It seems you already know what to do with the cables I personally just use rubberbands to wrap up excess cables and just leave them on the floor but what your going to do will look much better.

Good luck looking forward to seeing the setup.

Hi everyone, first let me apologize if this thread is not the place for what i'm going to ask.

I see all of these amazing setups, and i am currently before renovating the house.
It would be greatly appreciated, if i could get some tips or guides and tutorials to make amazing looking setups.
Mainly cable and wire arrangement, my goal is to hide them inside the walls in a tube so everything along the home will seem wireless.

I also liked a lot of the furniture and game/movie picture frames, so any good tips on those would be greatly appreciated too. :)

Thanks, I want to make a kick ass home too !

In a nutshell if you want to hide all the cables, then there is some work involved with this. Since I am actually in the process of doing this I'll give ya some pointers.

If you want a 100% free cable zone then you're going to have to cut into the wall. That gives you several options; putting raceway / conduit into the wall that you can run the wires through.

On top of that you can install HDMI wallplates and an extra electrical outlet and have it behind the tv, that way there is nothing hanging from the TV down to the entertainment stand / TV stand or audio rack.

I would recommend you check out Avsforum and check out the dedicated theater build thread. They're really good at helping and giving advice on just about anything you want to accomplish.

If that's too much work then grab yourself some of this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D7ICHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and run it down the bottom of the TV to the stand. Paint it and done.

Elitist1945

Here's my setup - it's small, but works for me:

nfo4ymj.jpg

IKEA desk

cgbe4fa.jpg

My PS4 which hasn't been turned on in ages, sadly

4xfSX4z.jpg

My Xbox One

Irp9E7o.jpg

And Alienware X51, my Blackwidow Ultimate, and Naga MMO - with sidekick Nate.

Crap quality courtesy of my HTC One's camera.

Allforce

New house, new setup!

I used to have shit setup in my basement, but we moved and the basement isn't finished here. So to the LIVING room (which is seperate from our family room, this is that room that your parents had where nobody was allowed to sit on the furniture in the front of the house). Well screw that I said, we're using it for something.

Left side of room, behind the love seat

20140607_154524_zpswmt5azte.jpg

Right side of room, foyer over to the right.

20140607_154532_zpsqydimvgi.jpg

Projector just sits on a small stand I bought on Craigslist. Worked out perfectly. PS4 is in my office for now but all the hookups are there

20140607_154609_zpsasw3kxq5.jpg

Surprise motherfucker! 125" electric retractable screen on its way down. This satisfies the Wife Appeal Factor in spades since it's up most of the time. Fear not about light bleeding in, those are blackout curtains behind the screen, which close up tight and make it pretty much pitch-black in here at nighttime.

20140607_154651_zpssf30cmdh.jpg

20140607_154708_zpszniwaopa.jpg

20140607_154728_zpswmzy5i1t.jpg

20140607_154744_zpsuhvjzypq.jpg

Blu-rays in the back by our dining room. Still have to wire for rear surrounds and subwoofer, not sure of placement quite yet.
20140607_154816_zpsb0rr4cmj.jpg

Another shot of the seating.

20140607_154903_zpsi5ajitcq.jpg
All in all a good spot for hanging out watching movies and gaming. Gotta get a rug and some other small stuff (NEW COFFEE TABLE) to fill out the area but I'm happy with the conversion. It's a cool spot to even hang with family and listen to music with the screen up, but hitting one button on the Harmony remote kicks everything in and the screen drops and people go "ohhhhhhhhh"

Hope you enjoy!

Been meaning to post my set up here but don't have any good shots.

Also, can someone recommend me a good desk chair. I sit on there almost 5 plus hours, so I don't mind spoiling myself in this regard.

Finally took a couple more pics. Still look like crap but apparently it's the best I can do without taking a photography course. Just added a new shelf for games, a Sega Master system and for no reason at all a Xbox HD-DVD drive. That brings it up to 16 consoles and 1 gaming PC all hooked up and working to one TV. (if you include the 32x and Sega CD as separate systems from the Genesis)

front.jpg

back.jpg

UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE. Well done my friend!

Theman2k

In a nutshell if you want to hide all the cables, then there is some work involved with this. Since I am actually in the process of doing this I'll give ya some pointers.

If you want a 100% free cable zone then you're going to have to cut into the wall. That gives you several options; putting raceway / conduit into the wall that you can run the wires through.

On top of that you can install HDMI wallplates and an extra electrical outlet and have it behind the tv, that way there is nothing hanging from the TV down to the entertainment stand / TV stand or audio rack.

I would recommend you check out Avsforum and check out the dedicated theater build thread. They're really good at helping and giving advice on just about anything you want to accomplish.

If that's too much work then grab yourself some of this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D7ICHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20) and run it down the bottom of the TV to the stand. Paint it and done.

Thanks for the post and links.
Yeah, I am going to cut into the walls. The hard part is planning the outlets. I still didn't pick half of the furniture, thus i don't have any dimensions to work with yet.

But here are some cool things i found:

1) Picture hanging without nails, or damaging the walls.

2) Cable manger from monster

3) A receiver for the living room

4) 5.1 speaker system for the living room. (For these i planned the wiring under the floor and wall, were doing new flooring as well)

5) A telescopic arm for the TV in the living room

Any more suggestions ? I still want to know where can I find some of those cool picture frames I see so many posting.. and good places to buy furniture.

Filth

I'm looking for a speaker setup for my PC. Just 2 speakers and a bass box. Could someone reccomend something where the sound is nice. Size isn't an issue. I've always had bad luck with computer speakers where the volume would be terrible and the sound would crack

Would you recommend this chair over a dxracer? Or is it worth the extra $50 or so dollars for a racer.

Your post is the first I've heard of them. My advice is to get some butt time in any seat you are interested in. That's the only real way to know for sure. If they've got a good return policy, why not? You probably won't pick up on any discomfort until you've sat in it for a couple hours.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So I finally replaced my old 24" BenQ monitor with this beauty:

tlwicuga.jpg

(big)

LG 29EB73-P. I'm just blown away! The colors, the aspect ratio (21:9), it's so awesome :O

This is stunning. First time I've seen a 21:9 monitor in a setup. Beautiful!

deadlast

Just moved into a new house. My setup isn't done yet but I will be posting before and after pics of my office/game room/exercise room.

Here's my setup - it's small, but works for me:

Crap quality courtesy of my HTC One's camera.

We got the same phone, but mines never took pictures with that pink tint on it ever. Having that kind of issue was pretty widepsread on One's apparently. I say you should try to contact HTC and return it in exchange for a working unit. That is a hardware issue. And HTC is willing to replace phones with those problems.

EDIT: Yeah.. This thread reminds me my current job sucks.. lol. Love your set up guys.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Seen some great designs and layouts. I've decided to re-do the bedroom but I'm limited in what I can do due to it's size. I was originally going to do it downstairs in the front room and convert it into an office but I think I'd prefer it done upstairs now. Less interruptions and the room is more sound proof.

I was thinking of doing kitchen worktops in gloss white in the corner to a shape of an L with chrome stand legs. Have the consoles on the longest side with an extra piece fitted onto the wall for the LED to go on. Then the other side have the monitor and PC underneath with a shelve or two above for games and spares.

I do like what JudgmentJay posted and Ikea does them in white. In total their would be a PS4, XB1 inc Kinect, X360, LED, Monitor, PC, 2 external HDDs and capture hardware. Could be better as well for storage and to hide cables, have things like the HDDs hidden since I won't need access to them much. Color of the room is similar to this with white frames, skirting and rail.

ukxjwy.png

Hard to know if white workspace will be overkill but then black would look weird I think with all the consoles and TV/Monitor being black. Decisions decisions.. >_>

Wow, some really amazing setups in this thread. Here's mine:

Desk
apartment01.jpg

Awesome desk. I'm currently looking into redoing my gaming room/office with black-brown Ikea furniture and could do with a longer desk than i have now, so i wanted to build one just like you, or alternatively use Alex instead of Ullrik for the legs, but apparently neither is avaliable in black-brown anymore. Ullrik only comes in white now, and Alex comes in white, grey, or mint green. I was hoping they're just short on stock currently, but i checked Ikea sites for a bunch of other countries and it seems like they completely stopped producing them. What a monumental bummer. To add insult to injury, the black-brown models still show up if you use the AI chat thing on the website, but the link leads to something else. I wonder if they'll ever get these back in. :/

SeanTSC

Update with some of my new stuff:

First pic is a little dark, but you can see the LED back-lighting that I use on my 60" ST60 pretty well.

SoEiCEl.jpg

0Fm0YOg.jpg

PlOQkT0.jpg

Seen some great designs and layouts. I've decided to re-do the bedroom but I'm limited in what I can do due to it's size. I was originally going to do it downstairs in the front room and convert it into an office but I think I'd prefer it done upstairs now. Less interruptions and the room is more sound proof.

I was thinking of doing kitchen worktops in gloss white in the corner to a shape of an L with chrome stand legs. Have the consoles on the longest side with an extra piece fitted onto the wall for the LED to go on. Then the other side have the monitor and PC underneath with a shelve or two above for games and spares.

I do like what JudgmentJay posted and Ikea does them in white. In total their would be a PS4, XB1 inc Kinect, X360, LED, Monitor, PC, 2 external HDDs and capture hardware. Could be better as well for storage and to hide cables, have things like the HDDs hidden since I won't need access to them much. Color of the room is similar to this with white frames, skirting and rail.

ukxjwy.png

Hard to know if white workspace will be overkill but then black would look weird I think with all the consoles and TV/Monitor being black. Decisions decisions.. >_>

There's certainly a good case for contrast. Black consoles in a white space like Faith's is certainly attractive. White consoles (that Destiny PS4, just dang) in a black space is pretty hot too, and less common. However, it is pretty nice to have everything just melt away when you play a game or a movie that black on black provides.

My setup has been fairly static for about five years now.

14422082852_3852c4e98d_c.jpg

Panny P42X1 plasma, Roku 3, Comcast HD converter box

Dreamcast/Wii U Deluxe, Magnavox DVD player (phasing out), Denon AVR-X2000 (new)

Saturn

Xbox 360 S w/ HD-DVD, (not pictured) PS3 60GB

(slightly pictured) JVC 5.1 system, DD-WRT WRT54G for repeater bridge purposes

In the cabinet are the Blus and HDs, and games for all systems

I am in the process of designing a whole new living room from scratch. I haven't decided if I'll be building the seating, but I'm building all the hardscapes in the room - component storage, media storage, tables, other storage. I am leaning cherry Arts/Crafts or Greene & Greene for the seating, and high-gloss white Shaker-style cabinets for the components. In fact I am taking measurements tonight to load into Sketchup this week. Wife and I are going back and forth over what we like - she would like everything hidden, I am advocating some stuff out for airflow purposes. I haven't bought a PS4 or One yet because of my massive backlog.

Something I've been struggling with is a way to neatly charge the controllers and store the accessories. I missed out on the low-profile PS3 charger.

I'll be posting my desk in a couple of days, when I have a chance to clean it up a bit.

fatcatbebe

Neo Member
I'm looking for a speaker setup for my PC. Just 2 speakers and a bass box. Could someone reccomend something where the sound is nice. Size isn't an issue. I've always had bad luck with computer speakers where the volume would be terrible and the sound would crack

go for some studio monitors. what's your budget? i ran some roland ma15's and a $89 polk audio sub and it sounded pretty good. you can get this whole setup for $200 bucks new.

Pretty simple, can't wait ti'll I'm making serious money so I could afford those awesome setups hah

bVtEsUh.jpg

Acer 23' IPS monitor, HP Envy 14 Laptop running OSX, on the back and a ps3 that you can't see, also in the back.

ThkI8VA.jpg

720p Panny plasma tv that's getting replaced soon, PS3 used to be down there, but my PS4 will be there when it gets here.

Elitist1945

We got the same phone, but mines never took pictures with that pink tint on it ever. Having that kind of issue was pretty widepsread on One's apparently. I say you should try to contact HTC and return it in exchange for a working unit. That is a hardware issue. And HTC is willing to replace phones with those problems.

EDIT: Yeah.. This thread reminds me my current job sucks.. lol. Love your set up guys.

Didn't know that was a hardware issue. Thanks for the notice! I'll be sure to contact HTC.

Just got this the other day. 32" Sony Bravia 1080p, with a CorLiving TV Stand from Best Buy. The TV was open box so I got it for $330, but found out later it normally goes for $700.

Wow, some really amazing setups in this thread. Here's mine:

Desk
apartment01.jpg

Entertainment center
apartment02.jpg

PC
guts_all.jpg

Pioneer Kuro 500M, Denon 2809 receiver, Klipsch Icon V-series speakers. PC is hooked up to the TV of course. Window behind the TV looks much brighter than it actually is because I had to open the blinds a bit to get a good shot and I have a bad camera. I also have a PS4, but haven't taken a new picture.

Got a part number on that Ikea desk? Can't find it in black on the site anymore.

EDIT: Herp derp just saw someone else with the no black problem.

Ikea seems to be going through as big of a change as I can remember. Billy and Lack items are going 'Last Chance' at my store. White items have been hard to get for months. Not really sure what is going on.

Smokey

Old PC setup:

13257123213_607cee94a7_b.jpg

13046967494_08d83b4fb6_b.jpg

Silverstone FT02 case
Asus Pz68 Deluxe motherboard
Core i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
Corsair H80i
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
2x GTX 780Ti
Dell U3011 (2560x1600) monitor
Seasonic 1000w PSU

Still have this machine except for the 780Tis. They were sold. And the RAM. That was used in....

My New PC setup:

14428087832_c278d45010_h.jpg

14426048371_e13f9f53d0_h.jpg

Excuse the red cable and messy cable management....those will be addressed at a later time once I am mentally relaxed.

14242806460_ba9f34aa93_h.jpg

Specs:

Case - Corsair Air 540
Monitor - Samsung U28D590 4K monitor
Motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU - Core i7 4930k 6 core processor
RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Graphics - 3x GTX Titan Black
Fans - 3x 120mm Corsair AF120s HP, 4x Corsair SP120
Cooling - Corsair H100i
PSU - Evga Supernova 1300w
Storage - 2TB HDD, 1x 750GB Samsung Evo SSD,1x 120GB Intel SSD,
Other - White sleeved EVGA PSU cables, EVGA 3 way Pro SLI bridge, Nzxt Sentry Mix 2 fan controller, Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Corsair M65 mouse

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Three titan blacks ... And only one screen? Is it a 4K display perhaps? If not, that's quite insane.. Is there a special use for that massive amount of graphics power? Like the look of your PC; though it seems kind of tight when you put three of those beasts in ... :p

Definitely jealous. My whole PC is only worth a bit more than one of those cards.

Faith

He needs it for the 4K monitor from Samsung.

I love the stock design of the GPU, it looks like there is soooo much power inside.

Dude! Remove that sticker from your XB1. Drives me nuts!

Friend of mine refuses to remove any stock stickers from his devices and it drives me nuts. I went with him to GameStop a few days ago to trade in his 360 and the controllers still had the battery stickers on the back from nearly five years ago.

GlamFM

Banned
Friend of mine refuses to remove any stock stickers from his devices and it drives me nuts. I went with him to GameStop a few days ago to trade in his 360 and the controllers still had the battery stickers on the back from nearly five years ago.

I've been removing stickers from other peoples devices for 3 decades now. I don't get it.

Smokey

Three titan blacks ... And only one screen? Is it a 4K display perhaps? If not, that's quite insane.. Is there a special use for that massive amount of graphics power? Like the look of your PC; though it seems kind of tight when you put three of those beasts in ... :p

Definitely jealous. My whole PC is only worth a bit more than one of those cards.

Yes it is a 4k screen. I had 3x 120hz monitors for a multimonitor setup at one time, however I stopped using it as the 5760x1080 resolution was too low for me and it seemed like Nvidia gradually moved away from their NV Surround program.

He needs it for the 4K monitor from Samsung.

I love the stock design of the GPU, it looks like there is soooo much power inside.

Well I don't think anybody needs 3 Titans but yes, the more power the better for 4k :p. This board supports up to 4 cards and I've seen some promo pics where there were 4 in my Corsair case. I'm not going to go on that road.

My next step is to F5 EVGA's website everyday in hopes that the Titan Black back plates come back in stock.

Why no caselabs smokey :)

I know! But I've always really like Air 540 and it's quite a bit cheaper than a Case Labs. Sacrifices had to be made somewhere!

Faith

Well I don't think anybody needs 3 Titans but yes, the more power the better for 4k :p. This board supports up to 4 cards and I've seen some promo pics where there were 4 in my Corsair case. I'm not going to go on that road.
I always wanted a SLI setup but I'm still afraid of micro shuttering. Is this still a problem?

Smokey

I always wanted a SLI setup but I'm still afraid of micro shuttering. Is this still a problem?

Not really. Multiple GPU setups work better for Nvidia, but AMD has made some driver updates to improve their situation.

That being said unless you need an extra card for 1080p resolution and want to maintain high performance + max visuals, stick with a single card. There are times when proper SLI support isn't added in and some older titles have some issues. For big releases this isn't usually an issue.

Mascot

Yes it is a 4k screen. I had 3x 120hz monitors for a multimonitor setup at one time, however I stopped using it as the 5760x1080 resolution was too low for me and it seemed like Nvidia gradually moved away from their NV Surround program.

Please tell me you had a racing wheel and cockpit for that triple screen rig..?

Top Bottom