• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

ev0

So I did the exclusive PS4 mission, what exactly is this?. It was like 5 mins, unless their is more?. I thought it was 60 mins?

While maybe not 60 mins, there's four parts. 3 are driving missions and the final is a base of guys to take out.

Now the Best Buy preorder bonus. That was a 5 min convoy mission heh.

It only works if you won a round and haven't failed since, if you've failed at all since your last win, it won't work.
Doesn't work. In stuck on the last round of level 4 at Pawnee and my right stick skills seem to suck and I win all the rounds except the last one, I fail and I've just tried reloading as I begin to fall to the table and also after its dumped be outside and on both of those scenarios it just reloads me outside.

So I did the exclusive PS4 mission, what exactly is this?. It was like 5 mins, unless their is more?. I thought it was 60 mins?

There is four missions. Idk if 60 mins is correct, but its gonna take at least 25 30 to complete all 4.

Also just got the plat last night, this game was great. My current goty runner up only behind south park.

putarorex

I finished this a few days ago. I had fun with it and enjoyed the hacking puzzles.

I had a hard time with cars and hated the driving; I preferred driving in GTAV. At the end of the game I was pretty burned out and just started killing cops to get the missions over with.

Overall it was pretty decent and I am looking forward to see any follow-ups in the franchise.

Denton

Yeah I have the same issue..

Wouldn't be so bad if the character mission dialogue didn't repeat every single time after you play a multiplayer game/die/reload checkpoint.

I had the issue once, but when I restarted the game and did the ending climb and cutscene again, it worked normally afterwards and progressed into full credits and final gameplay scene. So not a big problem, just really amusing that they kept their only bug for the complete ending of the game.
Anyone else feel that there was clearly a major restructuring when it came to the storyline at some point?
The fact that you're constantly named via the media but your sister seemingly has no awareness of this for instance creates a massive disconnect. I really wonder whether she and the children were shoe horned in at the last minute, because there's a clear differential between the quality of their character models Versus those of Cara and Jordi.

Yep, I agree. The story is kinda weird in places. And you are right about the models. Clara and Jordi look fucking amazing in cutscenes, like WHOA, but Nicky and Jax look like they are from last-gen game. WTF is up with that.

Yep, I agree. The story is kinda weird in places. And you are right about the models. Clara and Jordi look fucking amazing in cutscenes, like WHOA, but Nicky and Jax look like they are from last-gen game. WTF is up with that.

My best guess is that you were originally meant to play through the tunnel ambush and lose them there. But AC3 proved that such origin story missions aren't that much fun.

Denton

Anyway, since I finished the game yesterday, some final parting words:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Largest positives for me were:

- Strong gameplay mechanics. Controls on foot were great, stealth was well handled and purely enjoyable, hacking is simple but fun, car handling was much better than I expected after all the apocalyptic impressions here and elsewhere, loved the inclusion of cockpit view (not perfect though).

- Chicago was wonderfully realized. Game felt almost photorealistic at certain moments and incredibly immersive throughout (played PC version on 1080p/ultra). Just walking around and taking in the sights was enjoyable. One of the good "tourist" games, I love games like these with well done cities (GTA4/5, Sleeping Dogs, Mafia 2, WD). Pawnee was a nice change of style. Weather effects are amazing. Downgrade or not, this is still one of the best looking games ever made.

- Mission design was mostly pretty good. Many hard fail states, which is not ideal, but missions were pretty open and very enjoyable anyway.

- Multiplayer is ingenious and super fun. Tailing, hacking, brilliant. Even just racing was a lot of fun.

Things that were not as great...main story was somewhat meandering and did not have as much of an impact as I would hope. I loved the idea that Aiden is avenging his niece instead of daughter or wife, but it was handled weirdly with some large inconsistencies. As Kadayi wrote, it felt as if it was rewritten at the last moment and they did not manage to stitch it together. The whole
"I am your former friend and I kidnapped your sister and will hold her for 70% of the game while you do crazy shit for me" was just weird. Also, Clara dying was handled really badly. She just lies there at the cemetary and I just leave like nothing happened. WTF. She deserved better, I wanted to see her in a sequel GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.
I did not find Aiden as horrible as others, although his voice actor might want to dial down the growl. It was out of place in some moments. But I would not mind seeing Aiden in a sequel. Other characters like Jordi or T-Bone were fun, but used too little.

Variety in things to do was pretty good, but the structure of the fixer missions, them being completely disconnected from the rest of the game...too artificial, too..Ubisoft. They were fun and I did them all, but it would be nice if Ubi could improve their design for the future. Look at how CDP does it (or seems to do it): Everything has its own little story around it!

Collectibles were great though. I hate them in AC games, but here they were fun to get for the most part. Home spying invasions were a lot of fun.

In conclusion, I very much enjoyed those 50+ hours I spent with Watch Dogs, I am very hopeful for the future of this franchise. Not a perfect game, either strong 8/10 or weak 9/10, for sure.

And here are gameplay videos I personally recorded for gamersyde, on ultra:

http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_...y_3_ultra_spec_storm-4B8R2tRCtdCBu8pn_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_watch_dogs_pc_gameplay_2_ultra_spec-abBm9A8KPPrtTCdS_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/thqstream_watch_dogs_pc_gameplay_ultra_spec-GnQlbDKKL310Qxyj_en.html

Ambitious

Watch Dogs is one of those games that don't pause when the controller disconnects, at least on PS4. Can't believe this is still happening in 2014.

SJRB

Gold Member
I received Titan Books' The Art Of Watch_Dogs, a hardcover 144-page book about the character design, city layout and overall visual design of the game.

54tdfEC.jpg

It has chapters dedicated to Aiden and his design, the supporting cast, and shows several early-work renders of Clara. Surprisingly little early-work stuff of Aiden himself, but a lot of area design art shows him with a beenie and a short jacket which I thought was interesting.

It goes in-depth in the design of every segment/burrow of the map, which is really cool. It's a study on architecture and visual design which I really enjoyed reading. The designers put a ton of thought into visual appearance and, to my opinion, really shows in the game. The difference between The Loop and Mad Mile for instance is remarkable only because of the different color streetlights, giving The Loop a warmer feeling while Mad Mile feels more modern. I love subtle nuances like that.

By far my favourite chapters are those about the game's ASCII art and graffiti design that's spread throughout the city. The book has several full-page ASCII artworks, which is very cool. Also a surprising amount of thought and effort went into the graffiti and advertisements you see everywhere. Really cool.

So yeah, a great book if you're into artbooks or just interested in the visual design of the game. Like I said, it's published by Titan Books, ISBN-10: 1781169004.

B4D1E

Watch Dogs is one of those games that don't pause when the controller disconnects, at least on PS4. Can't believe this is still happening in 2014.

On Xbox One, it does. A few times I had my controller disconnects for no reason during a couple of seconds and it automatically paused the game.

Denton

I received Titan Books' The Art Of Watch_Dogs, a hardcover 144-page book about the character design, city layout and overall visual design of the game.

That looks great, love art books like that. Wish they included digital version of it with the game.

Kadayi

Banned
Just finished it: -

JFC fuck that final mission. Seriously Ubi. You build the entire game around the ability to hack and then essentially remove that ability in the last stage and have it that the bad guy is able to essentially set the police on you wherever you are, negating any effect the Jams Coms have once activated. I'm not sure I've played a final section of a game that jarringly out of step with what's gone before it save the end of Halo where in suddenly the game transforms from being a shooter to a driving game. Utterly asinine.

Couple that with a completely unnecessary heel turn by the criminally underused Jorgi at the last...guy could of sold you up the river to Quinn at any point if he was just after money but he doesn't, but seemingly Damien Brinks soul patch saddo and incompetent hacker has enough pull...

A lot of potential, but sadly saddled with an incoherent storyline that often ran counter to events in the game world that demonstrate a lack of consistent directorial overview coupled with way too many repetitive rinse & repeat missions to be considered a must play/classic.

Certainly nowhere near as bad as AC1 as new IP launches go, but Ubisoft really need to double down with the inevitable sequel. Compelling characters (new protagonist preferably ..Pierce is Altair 2.0), tighter more involved missions & side missions (none of this hack 10 of these for pointless popup hoohickeys...how about some variation to spice things up), better integration between narrative & game world
(everyone in Chicago seems to know Aiden Pierce is the vigilante..save his sister...wtf?)
and less goddamn obviousness in the narrative
'Here meet Lucky Quinn renowned Chicago gang lord...wonder who the games big bad is gonna turn out to be...'. There are children's fairy tales with more nuance. Take a leaf from the golden age of television and quit patronizing your audience

SJRB

Gold Member
That looks great, love art books like that. Wish they included digital version of it with the game.

Digital [pre-order bonus] artbooks are usually garbage though, often not more than 10 pages of absolutely trivial artwork, usually stuff that's already been released in some way or form.

Does anyone have images of the outfits you get for completing the digital trips?

Absolutely - click here.

So i have put about 20 hrs into this game and still loving it, decided to focus on the story now and just did the
human trafficking mission,man I loved it, really felt like I was Liam neeson , all it needed was the I am a man with a particular set of skills speech , lol

looks like Ubi needs to patch the hacking/invasion system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7BVr9k5QY

-get blume bounty
-get on bike
-wait, and turn your cam 180 degrees behind you (hackers always spawn behind you)
-shoot him down as he spawns

-we need to be able to be hacked without blume contracts
-add NPCs who ride bikes
-randomize timeframe we can be invaded (usually i can get invaded 5-10 seconds after acquiring a bounty, every time)
-spawn hackers in randomized radius around the player, not 100% behind them on the same vehicle they are riding

murgo

looks like Ubi needs to patch the hacking/invasion system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7BVr9k5QY

-get blume bounty
-get on bike
-wait, and turn your cam 180 degrees behind you (hackers always spawn behind you)

-add NPCs who ride bikes
-randomize timeframe we can be invaded (usually i can get invaded 5-10 seconds after acquiring a bounty, every time)
-spawn hackers in randomized radius around the player, not 100% behind them on the same vehicle they are riding

What? Getting hacked has nothing to do with bounties. I got bounties quite a few times and only got hacked once with a bounty on my head. All the other times I got hacked were completely random, sometimes seconds after finishing a mission, sometimes after just driving around for 10 minutes.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm fairly certain the whole purpose of Blume bounties is to increase invasion chances. The higher your Blume bounty, the more likely you are to getting invaded.

I'm fairly certain the whole purpose of Blume bounties is to increase invasion chances. The higher your Blume bounty, the more likely you are to getting invaded.

that is correct, but 9/10 times i will get invaded less than 30 seconds AFTER aquiring a Blume Bounty, without one... who knows how long it will take.

hbkdx12

-get blume bounty
-get on bike

-add NPCs who ride bikes

It's a real shame how fucked hacking has become. Literally the only fun i can have with it is by hacking people with weak or average defense. I don't even feel like the people with strong defense are necessarily good at the game, just that they're exploiting it to all hell that's giving them easy wins.

Case in point. I hack into a guys game who has strong defense. Total accident on my part. I'm looking at where the map is about to put me before you spawn in and it's the deserted island where the bunker is. I can already tell i'm gonna get fucked. I spawn in. Pretty fuckin sure my feet didn't even touch the ground yet and i get straight railroaded by the guy on a dirtbike. Literally, the first thing i see is this guy inches away from me barreling straight at me on a bike. I naturally get knocked down. He gets off the bike and shoots me. Game, set match in under 5 seconds. It's fucking ridiculous.

I haven't even clocked 2 hours of gameplay since purchase in multiplayer, PS4 performance is COMPLETE DOGSHIT ! Racing and decrypting has likr constant 20fps. My first and last game from Ubisoft for full price

legbone

i've got a little problem. i found all 9 weapons crates but the final one (the special one if you know what i mean) is not showing up where it should. do you have to progress so far in the story before it appears. if not that means i won't be able to get a trophy because of a glitch. thanks ubisoft.

Aiden1113

Neo Member
I feel that it is bullshit that in order to get 100% of the achievements, you have to get tailed five times...Screw achievements that require you to lose.

Aiden1113

Neo Member
Also Ubisoft needs to fix invasions by making it so disconnections don't result in getting nothing. (Hack stopped at 96% | Connection to enemy fixer lost.)

Looking forward to getting back into this game soon. Destiny Alpha has been eating up all my free time :p feel like I'm wasting an opportunity playing anything else until it's over.

I haven't even clocked 2 hours of gameplay since purchase in multiplayer, PS4 performance is COMPLETE DOGSHIT ! Racing and decrypting has likr constant 20fps. My first and last game from Ubisoft for full price
I noticed this too. It didn't do this at launch - it's only recently it's started happening.

Relly

Banned
I noticed this too. It didn't do this at launch - it's only recently it's started happening.

My fps seems to dip into the single digits whenever it autosaves after doing a fixer contract or criminal convoy.. And I swear I notice a slight hitch when someone invades my game.. But I use it as a tipoff lol

Anyone had this happen? Don't think it's my videocard as other games work without issues. It's locked to the checkpoint though so exiting the game and coming back doesn't fix it :/ Hard to finish the chase to see if it'll fix itself.

Paganmoon

Anyone had this happen? Don't think it's my videocard as other games work without issues. It's locked to the checkpoint though so exiting the game and coming back doesn't fix it :/ Hard to finish the chase to see if it'll fix itself.

Videogames are art. Hell I could put that on my wall:)

Hope you find a fix for it.

cackhyena

I honestly don't mind Aiden, overall. I don't even know if I'm halfway through the story, though. The interactions between him and Jordy are pretty alright. Inflections, banter and all. I didn't think the game would hook me the way it has. I'm going after all this side shit like it's AC 2 all over again. It's genuinely cool to just walk the streets and soak in the sites, especially at night in the rain. The stealth elements are what's really hooked me, I think. At every opportunity, I employ stealth. Love the option.

There's tons of room for improvement, first and foremost with the terrible vehicle control. GTA shits all over it. I don't know what crack people are smoking saying bikes are alright. It's all kinda shit. Every vehicle, fast or slow corners like it's on ice. Cockpit view...at least for when I'm not doing a mission almost makes up for it, though. It's incredibly immersive to me. I hope Unity and pretty much all future open world games have this slow, natural walk like Aiden has to jus soak in the sights like your an averGe citizen.

The driving is incredibly easy and it's weird that they felt the need to implement wrong hitboxes to make it even more forgiving. Still, I found some of the cars to be fun to drive and there is a little bit of hidden depth in the "physics". It's far better than Sleeping Dogs but of course inferior to GTA. One of the key things they should work on for the sequel. It feels like they ripped the horse riding out of AssCreed and slightly changed it to re-implement it into Watch Dogs.

That said, I really liked the game overall. I vastly preferred it over AssCreed and Far Cry 3. Sure, it has all the key pillars of Ubisoft's game design but there is still some greatness to be found. The city is really well done, so are the shooting and stealth mechanics. Same goes for the hacking, nothing revolutionary but it felt well implemented and was enjoyable for the most part. I can live with the story and the ending. Most of the characters are interesting. I really thought this game would turn out much worse. It's a very solid first effort and I am looking forward to the sequel. Played it on PC, very pretty game.

debating wether to keep playing until pc patch is out.

seems like im about down with act 3 (i have no clue how these acts are divided up, its clearly nothing to do with the plot).

It's just nothing about the game is fun after i cleaned up the gang hideouts. And aiden is the worst protag since asbel.

Dominator

I think I burned myself out on this. I did all the Fixer Contracts (though more are popping up even after I've 40/40'd it?), Gang Hideouts and Criminal Convoy's. I'm only on act 2 now in the campaign and I just have no desire to go further because I've played the game for so long doing all of the side-stuff, the campaign is just boring.

I'm going to try to beat it but damn, its disappointing to have happen.

I know that feeling. The racing wasn't too bad but decryption was horrible. I have no way to know for sure but at times the frame rate looked like it was < 10 .

What is strange is earlier on I had almost perfect games with no lag or frame rate issues. Now it seems I get constant laggy games, which seems to directly influence what sort of frame rate you will get as it's always unplayable now. Not really sure what to do.

Is there any way to set our region preference for online modes? Would be good to restrict it to oceanic only.

Shallwhat

Banned
I'm not sure what it is about this game, but I am in love with it. I GameFly'ed it for the PS4 and beat it in about a week. I mainly focused on the storyline, criminal convoys, gang hideouts, and all the CToS control centers and towers. I didn't do all the mini games or digital trips, stuff like that. After I beat it I sent it back to GameFly.

Since I had some Best Buy gift cards and I am apart of GCU, I went and purchased the game today for the Xbox One. I also purchased the season pass with Xbox credit I had from the Target triple trade in value promotion. I am now in the process of replaying the game and I am going to try to play it differently. I am doing all the different side missions and I just played my first digital trip of Spider Tank and OH MY is it so much fun.

I hope the DLC missions will be fun.

Great game.

Top Bottom