• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City Shrouded in Shadow | OT | Film at 11!!!

ranmafan

tZIlRl9.jpg

Welcome to the Neogaf Import [OT] for “City Shrouded in Shadow”!!

Release information

Release date - October 19, 2017 Japan
System - PlayStation 4
Price - 8200 Yen plus tax - download/physical version
Japanese rating - Cero C
Genre - Science Fiction Survival Action Adventure

What is “City Shrouded in Shadow”?

“City Shrouded in Shadow” is a new game from developer Granzella, a company formed by the talent responsible for the acclimated cult classic game series "Disaster Report." While this game is not related to that series (in which the long awaited, originally cancelled but once again revived “Disaster Report 4” is still being prepped for a future release), it can be looked at as a spiritual successor to that series with similar themes and situations.

In this game, you must survive and escape from a city that is being attacked and defended by many monsters, robots, and characters from many classic Japanese anime, tv series, and movie franchises. You will come face to face with battles involving such famous characters as Godzilla, Mothra, and Gamera, as well as many of the heroes and villains from many of the Ultraman series, the recent Evangelion films, and even Patalabor. But you will not be playing the role of these characters as you usually do in most games involving them. Instead you will be playing the role of a normal citizen that is stuck in the middle of the events involving these great creatures. You will have to survive and make choices that will effect not only yourself but those you meet through actions and dialogue choices. You will be facing many challenges both related to the battles you witness, but also other events that occur within the story. Whether its escaping from an attack by Godzilla, or a run in with the Yakuza, you will face many challenges in the game.

As the game’s subtitle says, “This is not the story of some hero, this is your story."

Your character

You will be able to choose to play as a male or female character in the game. The male character’s name is Ken Misaki and the female character’s name is Miharu Matsubara.

You will also have a companion heroine character named Yuki Kouno that you will be able to choose how they are related to you.

Along with these main characters you will meet up with journalists trying to get the scoop regarding the events of the game, other people in need of help, as well as having to deal with yakuza gang members.

Your characters will also have a large number of outfits that that they will be able to wear that will help them on their journey as well as alter the events of the story itself. Everything ranging from police uniforms, to classic outfits from the many anime series in the game, to even a uniform from the restaurant “Go Go Curry” which has a collaboration with the game.

The Shadows!

Below is a listing of all the monsters, kaiju, heroes, villains, robots, and more that have been officially unveiled by the developers as appearing in the game. I will only be listing those here that have been announced before release. While there's no certainly that there will be any others in the game, If there are any extra or secret characters or appearances, it would be best to keep those a surprise for those playing the game.

Ultraman Series

Ultraman - original
Fake Ultraman
Alien Zarab
Ultraman Tiga
Kyrieloid II
Dada
Ultraman Zero
Ultraman Belial
Ultraman Taro

Godzilla Series

Godzilla
King Ghidorah
Mothra
Battra
Multipurpose Fighting System 3 - Mechagodzilla - Kiryu

Evangelion Series

Evangelion Unit-01
Evangelion Unit-00
Evangelion Unit-02
The fourth angel Sachiel
The fifth angel Shamshel

Gamera Series

Gamera
Legion
Soldier Legion
Gyaos

Patlabor series

AV-98 Ingram
AV-98 Ingram unit 2
Type-5g/1c Grau-Bear
Pyro-buster
J-9 Griffin
M-5 Abraham

Videos

Opening Movie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IT6VLapkDA
First trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_N72EBYRpE
Second trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK67Qu3e8VE
Commercial 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x36iNFGKEMk
Commercial 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPQHwDcVik
Gameplay demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnKKzhyrCy4
The gameplay demo contains spoilers from near the beginning of the game.

Media

Here are a few screenshots of the game to give a taste of what you will see.

Links

The official website for City Shrouded in Shadow http://knst.bn-ent.net

This site contains a great deal of information regarding the game. Lots of screenshots and details about the gameplay as well as all the extras, such as dlc and such thats is being made available for it. I highly recommend checking it out as its a great resource.

Reviews

Famitsu - 8, 7, 8, 8 - To give a little more info other than just the numbers (since Famitsu reviews are considered highly suspicious by many), the reviewers praised the amount of choices in the game, and liked the inclusion of all the famous characters in the game. They did however complain about the load times and camera issues.

I will add more reviews if they appear from other Japanese gaming magazines or websites. If anyone wants to add their own review to the game I can add a link to your post of it later on. Im sure myself and others will be able to provide some nice detailed reviews very shortly.

FAQ

- Will this game be released in English? In Asia? In the West?

Time to get the constantly most asked question to this game in every thread so far out of the way.

As of this moment only the Japanese release has been announced with no news about any possible localization or release outside of Japan. As this is a title with numerous Japanese tv, anime , and movie licenses, it will come to no surprise that a release may be difficult to make happen due to rights issues. The Ultraman series particularly has some major rights issues tied up in court battles between multiple companies that could effect this game getting a release outside of Japan. While there have been improvements regarding the releases of games with large numbers of Japanese licenses in recent years, it's always best to not expect it to happen and be pleasantly surprised if it does.

It should be noted that Bandai Namco, the publishers of the game, have lately been releasing many games previously thought to have had zero chance at having an English translation, with English versions for the Asian market. Many people are hoping this will once again happen with this release and while it may be possible, this is just pure speculation at the present time.

So as of this moment we only have the Japanese only release. If anything changes however, the info will be updated into the OT.

- What level of Japanese will be required to play this game?

While the actions parts of the game should be straight forward and not too much of a huge hassle to play for non Japanese speaking gamers, the game does present the player with many situations where they must choose a way to respond to other characters. All the dialogue in these scenes and all the scenes of the game are in Japanese and in many previews, some of these scenes offer a large number of dialogue choices with word being that they can cause some big differences in the story between players. So it's safe to assume a good level of Japanese will be necessary to completely enjoy the game.

- Wasn't this game supposed to come out on PS Vita?

Originally it was announced as a vita game along with the PS4, but that version was canceled earlier this year.

- Is there a special edition of the game?

Bandai's Lalabit store has a special edition of the game available which includes a T-shirt, badge, and exclusive dlc costumes, particularly costumes from the PSVR game Summer Lesson. However as far as I know they only ship this version to those living in Japan.

There also is a large amount of costume dlc available both for preorders at certain stores around Japan, and through Japanese gaming magazines like Dengeki Playstation. Plus there's a special collaboration with Sony that gives access to a special scene in the game involving Sony characters Toro and Kuro available only with the downloadable version of the game.

Final notes and thanks!

This is my first attempt at making a Neogaf OT, which is something I never thought I would try to attempt. I hope you enjoy this thread and the work I went into it. I'm not the best at making fancy graphics and I wish I could’ve done better, but I hope that the amount of info I have included in this OT will make people excited, and we can have a nice fun discussion about the game since I know there's a sizable interest in it here. This is a game I’ve been looking forward to for a long while and I wanted to do what I could to make a nice thread for everyone to discuss it.

Special thanks to all those that have posted updates on the game these past many months on the forum. Your posts have been so helpful in creating this OT. And as always lets keep spoilers tagged and try to keep the begging for an English version down a bit. We all want to see that happen, and hopefully there will be one so that more people can join those of us in playing this game. To everyone who visits this thread, please enjoy the fun!

tZUnr4Y.png

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm really curious to hear opinions about this game from people who decide to get it. The idea sounds really interesting but I don't want to grab it if it's super janky.

ranmafan

I'm really curious to hear opinions about this game from people who decide to get it. The idea sounds really interesting but I don't want to grab it if it's super janky.

Ill be posting my opinions asap tomorrow once I get back from work. I had hoped to get some impressions in today as Bandai sent me the special edition early, however they made sure that the delivery company wouldn't deliver it a day early (unlike say Falcom which always does) so my copy has been sitting in a delivery warehouse not too far from me all day today. However I do plan on getting as much impressions out as I can tomorrow night and all weekend.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ill be posting my opinions asap tomorrow once I get back from work. I had hoped to get some impressions in today as Bandai sent me the special edition early, however they made sure that the delivery company wouldn't deliver it a day early (unlike say Falcom which always does) so my copy has been sitting in a delivery warehouse not too far from me all day today. However I do plan on getting as much impressions out as I can tomorrow night and all weekend.
Awesome, looking forward to it. If the impressions are really positive I might grab it around the weekend as well.

atomsk

Party Pooper
my budget is pretty much tapped out till December, but I'll pick this up eventually.

anything Granzella = yes please

NesFe

Got the game digital and ready to dive in about half an hour ! I really liked the disaster report games so hopefully this is going to be fun.

ranmafan

Got the game digital and ready to dive in about half an hour ! I really liked the disaster report games so hopefully this is going to be fun.

Lucky, looking forward to the impressions! Really wanna hear about that little extra scene added with Toro and Kuro.

Sometimes I wish I had gotten the digital release but I had to get the special edition for this one. Really wish the delivery company was allowed to deliver my package early. Oh well just a little more wait for me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Seeing many complains about the performance, but from what I've seen people saying that are using regular PS4s. I wonder how bad it is on the Pro.

Edit:
According to this thread on gamefaqs the game can freeze, but it stopped happening once the poster turned off Boost Mode (no dedicated Pro mode?).
Also, for people wondering how bad the framerate can get, a 20 sec video from that thread.

ranmafan

Seeing many complains about the performance, but from what I've seen people saying that are using regular PS4s. I wonder how bad it is on the Pro.

Edit:
According to this thread on gamefaqs the game can freeze, but it stopped happening once the poster turned off Boost Mode (no dedicated Pro mode?).
Also, for people wondering how bad the framerate can get, a 20 sec video from that thread.

I almost never care about frame rate at all, but looking at that video has me a little concerned. I’ll be able to find out myself very soon. I have a regular PS4 sadly. Wish I had a pro. I hope it’s not too terrible throughout the whole game. Still I’ve played worse framerate ridden games and enjoyed. We will have to see though how this one goes.

duckroll

Wow the game actually came out? Holy shit. Not sure if I wanna get it now with an active backlog, or wait for a potentially cheaper Asia release....

NesFe

I only managed to play about 10 minutes yesterday, but yeah the performance is not very good and it starts like that from the first minute which doesn't fill me with much confidence lol.

I should be able to play lots more today after work so I can give some impressions of the game.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
The jank is real. Don't expect good performance with this game, but after playing through the first two episodes (about an hour), I am loving it. Plenty of dialogue options (each choice even includes how you express yourself), and there are decent silly options offered.

Again, if performance is important to you, this game probably isn't for you. I had a section where the framerate dipped into single digits. The real terror when "monsters" show up is the drop in frames. This is the IREM we know and love.

I cannot wait to see what the rest of the game has to offer. If this game is any indication of what's to come, ZZT4 is gonna be amazing...

ranmafan

The jank is real. Don't expect good performance with this game, but after playing through the first two episodes (about an hour), I am loving it. Plenty of dialogue options (each choice even includes how you express yourself), and there are decent silly options offered.

Again, if performance is important to you, this game probably isn't for you. I had a section where the framerate dipped into single digits. The real terror when "monsters" show up is the drop in frames. This is the IREM we know and love.

I cannot wait to see what the rest of the game has to offer. If this game is any indication of what's to come, ZZT4 is gonna be amazing...

Thanks for the impressions! I can deal with technical issues if the game is great and sounds like you are having a good time so that’s very good to hear.

I really can’t wait to play this. Just got word my special edition copy was delivered. Going to be playing this first thing once I get home tonight.

Sakura

Played a few hours last night. Framerate is amazing. Wish it was a bit more serious in tone. Enjoying it so far.

ranmafan

Finally have the game in my hands! And a nice shirt and badge to go with it too. As well as the summer lesson and family stadium dlc costumes too. Now time to dive into this game!

Btw just noticed that the game has a significantly large first day patch that’s 14gb. Had to do a lot of managing my ps4s storage to get it on there.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Oh wow, it was actually sold out at my local store. I could just order it off amazon, but I think I'll just wait for some more impressions.

Had my copy shipped out, can't wait to receive it in a week or two. Not surprised about somewhat poor frame rate/performance and jankyness on the game, I actually expected it to be honest. But the concept alone sold me on the game, plus I love Disaster Report 1&2 so I had to get this game on release.

Itsuki

Can’t believe it finally came out. Unfortunately my friend has my PS4 and she won’t return it to me until she finishes P5, so I can’t play my preordered copy.

squall23

Please localise this, Bamco. It looks too good to be confined to Japan only.

Don't make me import it!
This game is a licensing nightmare just like Super Robot Wars, meaning an English translation isn't impossible, but it'll probably only be for SEA.

ranmafan

Is the entire fucking game in the day one patch? How big is the game alone?

Actually I asked the same thing cause the box says you needed over 18.5gb. And the psn store says you need 17.31gb. Well now you need a lot more. But yeah it’s almost the same size.

NesFe

First impressions : lol at the patch size, I had to check my install because I thought I didn't download the entire game yesterday after seeing it.

Performance issues aside , I like what I'm playing so far. I feel like I'm playing a survival mystery drama which is what I wanted. The starting area had some bad performance but the next area seems to be running decently so far.

I wish the game was more seamless though, It would have been great if the game switched o gameplay instantly after cut scenes or making choices. It's just a second of black screen but it adds up since you make a lot of choices/ watch many small cut scenes sequences. It would have made me more immersed I guess Like I;m playing a movie.

ranmafan

Well I've put in over an hour or the game so far, so Its time for my own extremely early impressions. Lets get the negatives out of the way, and they are pretty much the same as others have stated. The frame rate issues are very much present and while for the most part aren't a big problem, there are moments in the game so far where I was really surprised how low they dipped for short moments. For example
right near the end of the second stage just before Gamera shows up was pretty bad. One point it was probably the worst frame rate I had seen in a console game since maybe Virtual Hydlide on Sega Saturn. But it was only for a brief moment.
I am however quite forgiving for these type of things, but I hope they can improve on those issues and the loading screens in future patches. I know some complained about the camera and wanted to have better views of the giant battles and all, but so far it hasn't been an issue for me.

Other than that, Im loving what Im playing so far. The game so far has done a great job of putting you right in the middle of the action involving these classic characters. Once those giant heroes and villains start to show up and you are out there running and trying to avoid the dangers, its quite awesome. You really do feel the scale of being just a regular human being in this situation.

As others have said the dialogue/action choices are quite fun, and in some cases downright hilarious. Once again in stage 2
when surrounded by a bunch of soldier legions I choose to try and mimic them instead of running away. That was an hilarious moment
. I really just love having more control over what my character says, how they react to situations and such, and this game really does a great job of giving you that control, and I certainly want to know what would've happened had I chosen another dialogue choice instead. Will make replaying the game just as enjoyable.

Also I love the silly things that happen along the way. For instance in stage 1
Deciding to crawl under the counter to talk to the convince store clerk was really funny and cool
I hope for more little silly moments like that.

Overall Im very happy with the game so far, but I still have quite a ways to go. Its been a good start thats for sure. I do think based on what Ive played so far, people who really hate performance issues (especially frame rate) will be turned off by them. But if you like "Disaster Report," this game perfectly fills that itch so far. Sure its got that jank we expected and some feared, but its got quite a bit of charm too. Really a fun experience overall.

Anyway very happy so far, more impressions later. Got to get back into the game. Really want to put in a few more hours tonight.

Awesome impressions, thanks for the info :) Definitely sounds like a (spiritual) successor to Disaster Report (warts and all). Glad that the humour is still present in this game, and I especially can't wait to get stuck in the middle of the big battles between the various Kaiju that appear in this. Hopefully my copy of the game evades customs and arrives quickly!

Sakura

Currently on stage 4.
I like the game, my only problem is how the world seems to be reacting to what's going on around it. In the ZZT games, the actual world and drama seemed to take itself pretty seriously, even if there were some goofy moments. It made it all the more funny when you chose stupid as hell dialogue choices. You were also trying to survive a city slowly succumbing to a disaster. You go to refugee camps. People are trying to escape. Everything seems very serious.
In this game, one minute you are in a part of the city literally being destroyed by giant beings, then the next you aren't even ten minutes away, and people are just totally chill. In stage 2 for example
you are at the train station with these monsters (soldier legion or something I think, not familiar with the source material). They are literally trying to kill you and other people. You climb up the stairs, like not even 50 metres, and there are a bunch of people their just chilling. Most of them don't even seem to be concerned about trying to escape their situation. One dude is more concerned about how the girl at the convenience store is probably upset because he didn't get her the tickets.
Another thing I'm having a hard time with is the two main characters, you and your partner. You are able to choose your background and your relationship, but it never really seems to come up thus far, and really I have no idea who this girl is. But maybe that stuff gets developed later, I have no idea how long the game is.
There is lots more I could talk about to explain what I mean, but I think I prefer the ZZT series. I still like the game, and the fanservice is great.
The framerate wouldn't be such a huge problem if it didn't want me to do the square button dodge things sometimes when the frame rate is in what feels like the single digits.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ah, what the heck, since it's sold out here I ordered it from Amazon, should be here after work tomorrow.

Is anyone here playing on a Pro?

ranmafan

Currently on stage 4.
I like the game, my only problem is how the world seems to be reacting to what's going on around it.

The framerate wouldn't be such a huge problem if it didn't want me to do the square button dodge things sometimes when the frame rate is in what feels like the single digits.

These two things I can agree with. I was quite surprised how especially where the transition from stage 1 and 2
you go from escaping the ultraman battle to just ridding in a train where it seemed like just a normal commute home. That seemed a bit weird the switch from chaos to just a normal day considering whats going on.

As for the dodge button, I feel that its always off. Ill push it sometimes and it doesn't react. So yeah that part in relation to the frame rate really is the frustrating thing.

Still having a blast. Just finished stage 3. That was a fun one!

I have this game ordered from Yes Asia, though I imagine it'll take a couple of weeks to reach me in Western Australia. I didn't realise it was going to be quite so janky; that framerate is something else. I suppose I can hope they might get another patch or two out by the time it arrives :p

Anyone know if Boost Mode makes much of a difference on a Pro?

ranmafan

I have this game ordered from Yes Asia, though I imagine it'll take a couple of weeks to reach me in Western Australia. I didn't realise it was going to be quite so janky; that framerate is something else. I suppose I can hope they might get another patch or two out by the time it arrives :p

Anyone know if Boost Mode makes much of a difference on a Pro?

Im hoping for a few more patches as well. Thankfully the part I'm in right now is running quite fine. Im not sure about the pro, although if boost mode helps it it would be nice. Just wish I had a pro to try it on.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Finished the first 5 missions and I think I'm done. I knew about the jank and the slowdowns before, but I'm not having fun with the core game. Yeah, dialogue choices are funny, but I think that's the best part of the game for me and not enough to keep me playing.

Sallokin

I’ve run through almost twice at this point. All the complaints are valid but the silliness really does it for me. Even some of the serious stuff is pretty good, if cliche.

There’s some incredibly frustrating camera and setpieces at times, and the illusion of having all these characters around you battling is easily broken, but the game has enough heart that I don’t mind overlooking it. It definitely needed about 6 more months in the oven though.

First playthrough was quick and I noticed that there were scenes I didn’t see from trailers etc. curious if that plays into the collection aspect at all.

I hope this game was enough of a practice run to make the next ZZT game truly great.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If anyone's interested, the archive of my yesterday's stream is up.
2:48, first 5 missions cleared. Some silly deaths in the first mission, but after that it's been mostly smooth sailing.
Playing on the Pro with boost mode enabled.

Top Bottom