• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-STALKER devs want to kickstart its "definitive spiritual successor", named Areal

Reverse image search led me to this page: http://www.develteam.com/Developer/HughFuller
You can see the same image to be second from bottom, so no it might not have any relation to areal.

That's the image i was talking about when i said it was very similar to another one. I'm not sure if it is an official screenshot or not, which is what i was asking. Reverse image searching also shows the image i posted is somewhere on the official areal site, but i can't find where. I can't find any mention of someone called Hugh Fuller being involved with the game either.

Like i said though, i'm not sure if it is something they are saying is a screenshot or not as i can't actually find it on their site or in anything they have posted. This page has the picture along with some actual concept art of the game and it's from May, though: http://vk.com/echoes_of_death

Another screenshot with a very similar looking person was posted on this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WestGames/...0.1403627797./288312207998963/?type=3&theater

Skele7on

Banned
man this thread has been really interesting.

I was about to put in some bucks and then came here to see what the mood was.

My wallet is now back in my pocket.

mclem

As someone else mentioned it's likely this is purely one of those "does it garner enough interest" kickstarters in order to prove to the big investors whether or not to bankroll them. 50k still seems very low for that kind of indicator though, especially if they plan on making this into something that looks halfway decent. I'm guessing it's not just about the KS itself but how much attention it generates on other sites, what outlets might pick it up and cover it etc, to get a broad idea of just how far reaching the stalker series is for the gamer mindshare.

Ignoring all the worries about potential misrepresentation and the lack of having seen direct footage, this is perhaps the biggest alarm bell for me. I recall TAKEDOWN: Red Saber. For those who don't remember the details of that one, it was an attempt to make a hardcore tactival shooter on Kickstarter; it had both a direct Kickstarter thread and ultimately an OT.

It too was hoping to use an initial kickstarter funding drive to inspire angel investors to donate more money to the cause. It made the Kickstarter goal - a whopping $200k! - and then the angel investors didn't appear. The final game was released driven largely by that initial $200k budget... and in the initial reviews and impressions from the OT, it *really* suffered.

Here's the thing: Areal has arguably a much larger scope than Takedown. It is also expecting investors to come in inspired by the Kickstarter. And if it meets the goal and then investors don't appear, it only has $50k to work with!

I do see an awful lot here to suggest you should be cautious even if West Games are entirely above-board.

Edit: Thinking about it, I do think there was a project that was originally funded by Kickstarter which *explicitly* stated that the Kickstarter was to produce a prototype with the intention of using that prototype to sell the game to publishers to get more funding. I wonder if that's what Areal is intending without quite being clear on that.

Edit2: I think I was thinking of Neal Stephenson's CLANG! Longer ago than I thought it was, though! That one did state it, but it was fair to argue that it wasn't quite clear on the subject. This, unless I've missed something, doesn't state that at all.

Oh, nice, another early screenshot from the game (as seen on WG FB):

http://i.imgur.com/hfDruJF.jpg

Wait, what's that Internet, it's actually a screenshot from a procedural terrain generation tool for Unity (http://warhammer-server.com/TE/)

http://i.imgur.com/Y3bxc5V.jpg

My word! I think these guys might have a free copy of Unity or something!

Wow do these teams not understand that the internet is composed of folks who look at this stuff all day and could spot that a mile off? Particularly Unity I mean I'm pretty sure most indie devs have at least a passing familiarity with it's tools and demo stuff.

Wait, what's that Internet, it's actually a screenshot from a procedural terrain generation tool for Unity (http://warhammer-server.com/TE/)

Omg haha. But they make the best games, because they definitely know how? These guys are incredible. It's almost an elaborate troll at this point, surely they know people will figure it out in five minutes? Then again, sadly, I think their funds have went up slightly the last day or two on the kickstarter after levelling and even decreasing. I hope the sites covering it like eurogamer are keeping up on this stuff haha.

They need to quit, regroup, actually create some of their own promotional images/videos, and try again. This is getting embarrassing.

Deadbeat

Banned
They need to quit, regroup, actually create some of their own promotional images/videos, and try again. This is getting embarrassing.
So they need to improve their scam to where it will sucker more dumb people than the few on board already.

Actually I cant complain about that. I hope they succeed.

Are we sure that's a Facebook page they've actually created, though?

At this point, I'm not surprised. I want the game, but considering there have been so many problems (nearly all of which they've pretty much ignored) and more problems keep appearing, it doesn't seem worth it.

This thread (and West Games) keeps delivering.

Interesting...

ZLTgbq6.jpg

It's just sad and frustrating to me at this point. Some of the most unique experiences I've had in gaming past gen was from the stalker games, imo that kind of atmosphere with that kind of ambient music score hasn't been matched for post apocalyptic games (well maybe certain outdoor sections of Last Light) since. Now it seems the only projects being worked on (at least publicly known) that kind of scratch that itch are Survarium (at least the open world PvE parts) and whatever 4A is working on in regards to Metro.

Seeing all the lofi Unity shots littered about for this KS is depressing as hell. These people clearly don't have the manpower or the resources to create anything that comes close to the technical level Stalker and CoP were at when they were released, and that to me is the deathknell. I don't want to play a shitty Unity asset made second hand knock off with Stalker elements. I want a gorgeous, sprawling world that raises the bar graphically, has interesting, dynamic AI (well this is the part they claim to have been working on), a fantastic ambient music score in the vein of Stalker/CoP, and some of that sweet dynamic lighting we all love so much. I see no indication that we will get any of that (maybe the AI, probably not) from what's been shown so far in this KS. And this makes me sad.

Leb

Are we sure that's a Facebook page they've actually created, though?

No, we don't really know. However, the two most egregious examples (the post-apoc asset pack and the terrain engine images) have, within the last short while, mysteriously disappeared from WG's Facebook and VK pages.

komplanen

This day alone has been fucking perfect with the fake screenshot and Facebook statement retraction and there's four days left in the week for them to keep fucking up. Gonna be good.

This day alone has been fucking perfect with the fake screenshot and Facebook statement retraction and there's four days left in the week for them to keep fucking up. Gonna be good.

even with today's news i bet some idiot on here will still defend this kickstarter..

Wiktor

The worst thing about this is that in all those comments from every company I've learned Nuclear Union has been suspended :(

Well ,another day, naother update. Don't get your hopes up though, the wolf model is still wiating to be unveiled. Some highlights:

We will be showing off some more 3D models, screenshots and animations in future updates. Right now, we are unveiling a new and nimble vehicle type:

Some update on their financial prospects:

Basically, this means we've set up a company bank account, and put all the money that we had into this account. It's enough to cover salaries and some aspects of game development. The rest (50,000), we need from you guys. Remember that other Kickstarter projects that associate themselves with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., had much lower base goals, with The Seed being a good example, raising roughly 20,000 euros in total.

Brilliant! So all they need to 50K. Nevermind that they told eurogamer themselves that they had a business plan that involved attempting to get investors etc., nope, they have the rest in a company bank account. The Seed is a visual novel game, made up of static artwork environments and reading. Perhaps light point and clickery on the screen.

Ultimately, people are still going to be posting negative comments and will try to discredit us at every chance they get. We honestly don't care ...We've shown that we are senior ex-GSC Game World staff members (through video updates) who were integral in making S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and we hope that the experience we gained from working there shows you that we can make an awesome game with Areal. We will continue to post updates with new content daily.

And so they don't care about the negative comments nor need to address them, because they already proved to us they were integral to making STALKER, so there you go!

I hope they dream of the wolf model tonight, act, and post.

Hollow

I love how instead of addressing backers concerns they just basically said 'haters gonna hate' and called anyone who pledged $1 and posted something negative in the comments a troll. Shifting that blame over.

This is like watching the slowest train wreck.

Aaron

Why hasn't the thread title for what's obviously a scam been changed yet? The developers have had ample time to show anything from their supposed prototype, but it's all been stolen images.

So far we have 8 "updates" and none of them answers any of the important questions that the backers have asked in the comments.. Why isn't Kickstarter doing anything about this?

Ultimately, people are still going to be posting negative comments and will try to discredit us at every chance they get. We honestly don't care ...We've shown that we are senior ex-GSC Game World staff members (through video updates) who were integral in making S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

And it seems like they won't answer anything because "we honestly don't care"

They also talk about a company bank account that has the rest of the money to fund the game lol I have never heard of a new studio that has completely paid the costs for a new engine that targets several platforms and employee salaries without the help of a publisher or a bank.. Bohemia Interactive has two highly successful games (DayZ and ARMA 3) and they still can't create an entirely new engine because they estimate that it would cost them millions. I don't buy it at all.

Another small update from eurogamer regarding one of West Games claim's the other day:

West-Games made a bizarre claim in one of the updates that Vostok Games has now shot down.

Wrote West-Games: "Regarding Union Studio, we had a preliminary project that was supposed to be a generic shooter, and we didn't agree with that vision. That project became Survarium from Vostok Games and we founded West-Games. Now, as you know, we have Areal in development."

I put that to Vostok's Oleg Yavorsky, who replied: "We never had anything in common with Union Studio. I do hope it's a translation mistake."

Pretty incredible haha. In an attempt to call Survarium a generic shooter, they have exposed themselves again.

Another small update from eurogamer regarding one of West Games claim's the other day:

Pretty incredible haha. In an attempt to call Survarium a generic shooter, they have exposed themselves again.

I thought something similar when it read it earlier, it doesn't make sense. Vostok games was set up around March 2012 with Survarium announced in April, whereas Union Studio was set up in 2012 as well but there was no mention of them until June. What they are suggesting is that Union Studio was set up, some of them didn't like the idea they had so they left and founded Vostok Games, while the rest stayed and they changed to West-Games. That does not fit in with what we know about both developers.

komplanen

I really hope this game fails to meet its laughably low KS goal. This team doesn't deserve a dime.

I'm sure overall it's slowly climbing upwards but just in the last hour or so the KS project went down $25 :-D Overall I'm a little worried that people blinded by their fandom would continue to donate slowly but surely and in the next three weeks the project would meet its goal but at least in the past couple of days there's been money lost due to these events.

EDIT 8 minutes after original post: I was literally idling and playing with some screws I had in my hand with the KS page open and someone just withdrew $60 from the project. So it's certainly going in the right direction.

Leb

Actually, per Kicktraq, they've essentially been flatlining since the 26th, as the handful of new backers are being offset by older backers withdrawing/decreasing their pledges.

komplanen

Actually, per Kicktraq, they've essentially been flatlining since the 26th, as the handful of new backers are being offset by older backers withdrawing/decreasing their pledges.

Yeah I didn't think of to check there. Also I guess more often than not Kickstarters are heavily front loaded when it comes to fans pledging money. The latter part seems to always be the fans and the Kickstarters furiously campaigning for outside attention and in this case the fans won't be there to do it and... lol the devs aren't really up for it even if they tried their best.

Even if this is legit I don't see how people view it as a good idea to throw money at ex-STALKER devs to make a new game unchecked.

The creation of SoC -- while it turned out to be one of the best games ever made -- was plagued by delays and barely even held together when it was finally released. And that was with a publisher backing and hounding the devs.

Management doesn't seem to be one of their strong suits, I definitely don't have faith that they could finish a KS-project on time or within budget.

BPoole

I'm sure overall it's slowly climbing upwards but just in the last hour or so the KS project went down $25 :-D Overall I'm a little worried that people blinded by their fandom would continue to donate slowly but surely and in the next three weeks the project would meet its goal but at least in the past couple of days there's been money lost due to these events.

EDIT 8 minutes after original post: I was literally idling and playing with some screws I had in my hand with the KS page open and someone just withdrew $60 from the project. So it's certainly going in the right direction.
Awesome news. I'm pretty relieved it has stayed as low as it has and people are aware that it is shady

And here I was, thinking this was a bittersweet announcement since I'm a huge STALKER fan but also our game is pretty influenced by STALKER so we'd be unable to compete on any level.

Then I come to realize it's just all bitter, for different reasons, and the devs are frauds posting up pictures of Unity Asset Store products that look dark/apocalyptic and using them for promo material.
(That shot of the cloudy sky someone posted earlier is a shot of a plugin called Unaj or something, I can't remember atm, its a sky/cloud shader basically)

These dudes give the series a bad name. I'm really hoping Survivarium ends up being less focused on multiplayer death matching like is sounded about a year ago when I last read about it. I loved those games and I'm glad there's 4A and Vostok to make some new ones, even if they aren't set in the same universe.

so what's the final word on this game, is it legit and should i give them my money or not?

The team is real and are who they claim to be. Other than that, no one really knows. The game is still nowhere to be seen. Some of their concept art isn't even for their game and the three screenshots that have been shown are very, very similar (as in identical with a very slight change) to pictures that have nothing to do with the game. They have avoided most questions asked by backers and claimed they are just trolls, so therefore their questions don't matter and the team don't care.

Glad people are being wary of such kick-starters, the problem is that is really does hinder/damage other kick-starters that are legitamate who are desperate for cash.

From what I have read/seen, they have yet to provide anything solid about what and how they are doing it, and on such a low low budget.

The team is real and are who they claim to be. Other than that, no one really knows. The game is still nowhere to be seen. Some of their concept art isn't even for their game and the three screenshots that have been shown are very, very similar (as in identical with a very slight change) to pictures that have nothing to do with the game. They have avoided most questions asked by backers and claimed they are just trolls, so therefore their questions don't matter and the team don't care.

It's a fake, proven that the team has been posting fake promo material and doesn't have anything to back up their claims. It's your money though so your decision.

hhmm, i see. thanks for the input. I guess ill skip this KS.

Well I can certainly see why there is so much blow back from StalkerGAF about this kickstarter. At 50k and with an highly experience staff, that does seem like a low ball but, I wouldn't call it a scam outside of a few pics. I'll read more into the thread.

Leb

Now the guy who runs the "Official" S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Facebook page is claiming (in KS comments) that he got hacked, but the only thing the hackers changed, with great malice aforethought, he might add... was replacing the page's endorsement of Areal with some very polite but noncommittal PR prose.

Classic hacker tactic, that. Seriously, this is the most entertaining kickstarter ever. We are truly blessed to get 22 more days of this grand experiment.

d0f2d8d9be969f3a57b314d78072913f_large.png

Ievgeniia Lakosnik PR and Community Management

She studied at Brunel university of London under digital games and design theory.

the above is in the Kickstarter details and here is her official acting page
http://www.acmodasi.ru/a_72149.html

72149-1400013134-14251.m.jpg

72149-1336373508-3269.m.jpg

Education
School-studio improvisation "Black Square" (Kiev) In addition: 1) School-studio of the Kyiv State Higher Music School. RM Glier (certificate from 03.06.1999g.) 2) Currency radio broadcasters Astra Sapience (diploma from 16.09.2008.) 3) Course "Discover a photographer», European Design School (Certificate number 000054 from 08.04.2010); 5) classes vocals, Ballroom and Latin and Irish national dances. fluent Ukrainian and Russian languages, English - at Advanced (IELTS 7.5), French, German, Latin - level Beginner.

seems legit lol

hahahah. This kickstarter = the gift that keeps giving. I love how every morning I get up expecting it will have finally settled down and begun it's slide into obscurity, nono, there's something new. Today's update guys!!

Today we'd like to reveal a new member of our team. He acts as a video game development consultant for Areal. He was the lead game designer and screenwriter for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. We're proud to have Alexey Sytyanov on our team!

7791c8ffc6db25689789da9e74a30cf0_large.png

Alexey is widely considered as one of the key creators of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series and is a very experienced game developer. He is finally ready to publicly announce that he is participating in the development of our game, Areal.

Pmsl. He is finally ready to publicly announce his attachment to the project, a good week into the horroshow the kickstarter has been, makes sense. Of course the key note here is that while they describe him as rather exciting things such as key creator of the stalker series and lead game designer/screenwriter, his actual position for this project is consultant, makes you wonder if he just came on as "consultant" today. I suppose also you may consider, what is there of this game to consult on haha "Well, in my professional opinion, you guys may want to start making it!". So take that on board I guess. Last time I checked this guy was working at Vostok on Survarium so who knows what's going on. Will he consult a wolf model on it's way to us? Next up is a video interview with Eugene Kim anyway. Eugene's main STALKER claim to fame seems to have been working on a browser based stalker mmo that never came out.

Top Bottom