• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-STALKER devs want to kickstart its "definitive spiritual successor", named Areal

Mod Edit: Some posters are suggesting this is a scam. No confirmation on this matter is currently known. Read latest posts for details. Perform your own due diligence before deciding whether to back this project or not.

http://areal.west-games.com/

edit: Kickstarter is LIVE now. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal

- Goal: $50,000 We've completely exhausted our collective piggy banks in getting Areal to the point that it's at. Areal is in pre-alpha, and we've sorted out the A.I., inventory systems and many of the missions. The world of Areal is expanding everyday and we need your support on Kickstarter to finish it!

- Platforms: Areal will release on PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, Windows, Mac and Linux. Since we've already put in a lot of work into Areal, it's possible for us to release on many platforms with a relatively low base goal.

- Pledge $25 or more: You will get the digital version of Areal on either Windows, Linux, Mac, PS4, Wii U or Xbox One. You'll also be listed as a supporter of Areal on our official website. You get everything from previous reward tiers too. Estimated delivery: Sep 2015

Areal is a new video game that's being developed by the people behind S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro: Last Light. It features a massive and intricately detailed open world environment that is extremely varied and colorful, even though it's set in a post-apocalyptic setting. Areal depicts a future where civilization has fallen apart due to an unearthly material called Metamorphite, which eventually spreads, corrupts and infects the whole world. The source of Metamorphite comes from a meteor that impacted the earth long ago, and it is the site of constant conflict and bloodshed.

Areal's story is not linear – players can choose how their characters act and speak – everything from how you talk to who you kill changes the storyline of Areal. There is no morality system in Areal, so you are free to make choices that you think are best in any given situation, without being blinded and limited by a standard good/evil system. Ultimately, Areal is the culmination of everything that we want to see from a post apocalyptic game, and it's something that we can realize with full creative freedom because of the unique platform that is Kickstarter. All we need is your support!

78e0c7d8aaaaeca06b0762es97.jpg

Devs in question:

22a6483978fdc1f4fa9ccq9jvf.png

An experienced software engineer and successful entrepreneur. Eugene was directing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Online's development over at GSC Game World, before moving on to West Games. He has actively provided consultations and advice for various video game companies.

8534b9188bd422e66acb1q2k5j.png

He's a brilliant game developer who started his career in 2003 over at GSC Game World. He has presided over the development of every game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.

16e6e079dbd6556f3a086kxj3a.png

He has worked at leading video game studios (GSC and 4A Games) and designed game-play for many AAA class projects; some of which include Metro Last Light, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Online, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl.

9a209120659080e004971weki1.png

Eugene is an extremely talented video game developer. He chiefly worked on the game engine for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 before moving on to Areal. Eugene leads the programming side of things and strives to make Areal of triple-A quality.

877400c48dccc472246b8hrkm7.png

An experienced lead animator, he was the head of the animations department of GSC Game World for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

6bc6391cf0bf0c1ae517109k8t.png

He assumed the mantles of lead artist, concept artist and animator on a project that was codenamed Oblivion Lost, and later known as S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl. He now serves as a concept artist for Areal.

More devs, more info, concept art, etc: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal

Aramiyo

Banned
Looks interesting. Might put a bit of money in. $100 for alpha\beta access though.

Maybe this'll encourage me to finally play STALKER.

eot

Banned
This is the first game project I'm even remotely tempted to back, but it'll probably get funded without my tiny contribution.

the illustrations are too bright and too colorful; it has nothing in common with my STALKER.

Will probably pledge the heck out of it.

I'll probably back this depending on the art stye. I love post-apocalyptic games that have normal, almost lively art styles. It really emphasizes how life goes on even after disaster and makes the world more real. It doesn't force emotion onto me.

I didn't expect to see WiiU on the list of targeted platforms.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
$30k for release on six platforms? I know it's supplementary and the true budget will likely be a bit more, but dayum.

Btw whatever happened to

Survarium_2.jpg

ryuken-d

Looks interesting. Might put a bit of money in. $100 for alpha\beta access though.

Maybe this'll encourage me to finally play STALKER.

whoa, yes play stalker. also Lost alpha is awesome (stalker SOC Mod) also call of pripyat is amazing.

as well as both metro games, these guys are badass. Will buy this new one!!

theJohann

What has happened to Survarium? It seems to be still in beta testing, to my knowledge. I thought it was being developed by the same Ex-STALKER developers.

injurai

Banned
Ex GSC employees have reformed into like 3-4 teams on different spiritual successor projects by now it seems...

A spiritual successor to STALKER, thats coming to consoles? Youll excuse me if i dont spunk my money down my internet pipe immediately. Nothing against consoles (im a PC/PS4 GAMER), but stalker is a game so far removed from console games ethos that its practically in another universe.

Sounds interesting. But if they really want to launch on all those different platforms, surely the goal will need to be in the hundreds of thousands territory?!

I don't think the budget is that crazy. They're probably setting the goal low so they can get the money no matter how badly their Kickstarter does. I expect stretch goals to cover quite a bit of the game, and they probably have other forms of income.

A spiritual successor to STALKER, thats coming to consoles? Youll excuse me if i dont spunk my money down my internet pipe immediately. Nothing against consoles (im a PC/PS4 GAMER), but stalker is a game so far removed from console games ethos that its practically in another universe.

The game's design is more towards PC gaming's culture and audience, but nothing about the game couldn't be ported to consoles.

I'm growing sick of seeing developers with multiple games in their belts pan handling through Kickstarter. They've made 3+ games in this same vein. Why do they need to ask for money upfront this time?!

I'm growing sick of seeing developers with multiple games in their belts pan handling through Kickstarter. They've made 3+ games in this same vein. Why do they need to ask for money upfront this time?!

Because publishers won't pay for the game's development (because the industry is becoming even more risk-adverse) and these developers need to eat for the next year and a half.

ryuken-d

Definitely interested. I know it might not be final, but that video filled with Stalker footage is definitely misleading though.

I dont agree at all. If you've played the Stalker games you'd know every bit they showed as well as every bit of AREAL they showed. Not much of AREAL of course but I think they mentioned stalker verbally everytime they showed some footage. they were just showing off and thats fine by me.

Because publishers won't pay for the game's development (because the industry is becoming even more risk-adverse) and these developers need to eat for the next year and a half.

I have a bad feelign that announcing ti as PC/Console means PC gamers arent going to back it because they fear 'consolization', and console owners wont back it because they have no experience or love for Stalker.

Denton

I wish 4A somehow managed to get Stalker license, but hey, I will probably back this too anyway.

Stalker 2 cancellation was one of those bigest gaming bummers.

Bor

Neo Member
Crysis Half Life and Stalker are my top 3 fps games, and since we probably won't be getting anything new from the former two, i actually might have to back this project

This is why people get burned on kickstarter. They dont see anything wrong with something that looks wrong.

It's perfectly logical to assume the game is being announced for console because the developers want to expand their potential audience and have a good idea of how to implement console UI without impacting the PC version.

It's also possible to imagine that this might still become the victim of incompetence and the end result could be a bad experience on both.

We don't have evidence either way. But to say this "looks wrong" is pretty ridiculous without further evidence.

edit: you know what? Throw your money at it if you are so sure.

I probably will. Losses and gains spread across all the projects I've Kickstarted eventually even out. I'm fine with the risk.

Top Bottom