• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-STALKER devs want to kickstart its "definitive spiritual successor", named Areal

I hope this does get funded, but they are just using the popularity of STALKER to get their funding instead of actually showing something that is worth backing. That's not a good thing.

I hope this makes it. IMO the kickstarter launching should get its own thread so it does not fall into oblvion. Anyone want to make the thread?

Bry0

Love STALKER to pieces, playing through them right now and kept thinking it was a shame it wouldn't get continued, survarium just doesn't cut it. Will keep an eye on this.

877400c48dccc472246b8hrkm7.png

An experienced lead animator, he was the head of the animations department of GSC Game World for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. Before he worked at GSC, he was developing Heroes 5 at Grasshopper Manufacture (Ubisoft).

Wait, what?

I hope this does get funded, but they are just using the popularity of STALKER to get their funding instead of actually showing something that is worth backing. That's not a good thing.

This irritated me too, most of that footage was from the original games wasn't it? Looked like it to me anyway. I love the stalker series to pieces but cmon guys, you should produce at least a proof of concept snip of gameplay for your KS. Or some kind of in engine slice showing off something interesting from the world. Doesn't sell me one bit showing off vanilla stalker and CoP footage from back in the day. I want this to succeed but I need more to go on.

Denton

The KS video is kinda bad
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal

Why can't these developers look at Kingdom Come: Deliverance, to see how it should be done? They had the best pitch right alongside Star Citizen.

But assuming this is the real deal, I hope it gets made. Survarium being multiplayer fee-to-pay game broke my heart, as did cancellation of Stalker 2. I will probably back this soon.

This irritated me too, most of that footage was from the original games wasn't it? Looked like it to me anyway. I love the stalker series to pieces but cmon guys, you should produce at least a proof of concept snip of gameplay for your KS. Or some kind of in engine slice showing off something interesting from the world. Doesn't sell me one bit showing off vanilla stalker and CoP footage from back in the day. I want this to succeed but I need more to go on.

It's like they're pretty much saying "Look guys here's some STALKER footage, we don't need to show you any of our work because you liked this game so that's all you need to be convinced to back us!". They've put no effort in at all but all they have to say is "STALKER" and fans will jump at it, despite them showing off nothing at all that suggests they can make a good game. They're just using STALKER to get money, rather than doing work themselves that is worth donating to. I kind of think they don't deserve to be backed because of that. I do like the idea of the game but i wouldn't trust them to make it based on what they've shown.

If Areal is in pre-alpha then why don't they show that off? Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs had actual gameplay videos to show people that it wasn't just vaporware.

Denton

If Areal is in pre-alpha then why don't they show that off? Kingdom Come: Deliverance devs had actual gameplay videos to show people that it wasn't just vaporware.

Seriously. I am just reading the FAQ. Game is in pre-alpha, they really should have made much much better KS video. Such a god damn stupid mistake.

This irritated me too, most of that footage was from the original games wasn't it? Looked like it to me anyway.

If this is true than that would explain why I thought it looked like a game from 10 years ago. I'm intrigued by the promise of the game but I really would have liked to see a more clear explanation of why it's so unique as opposed to "Hey remember STALKER!? This is STALKER as fuck! Remember how awesome STALKER was?". That does almost nothing for people who didn't play STALKER. I want to know why STALKER was unique and, more specifically, I want to hear and see some examples of how you plan to continue that.

STLAKER: SOC is one of the best and strangest games I've ever played. Knowing the state that all 3 STALKER games launched in makes me shudder to think how broken this KS game will be at and for a good while after launch. For as much as I love STALKER, I hate that KS is the only way we will ever see another game in its vein. Back for me, NeoBros.

If this is true than that would explain why I thought it looked like a game from 10 years ago. I'm intrigued by the promise of the game but I really would have liked to see a more clear explanation of why it's so unique as opposed to "Hey remember STALKER!? This is STALKER as fuck! Remember how awesome STALKER was?". That does almost nothing for people who didn't play STALKER. I want to know why STALKER was unique and, more specifically, I want to hear and see some examples of how you plan to continue that.

Unfortunately people are going to back this based on just the mention of STALKER. Nothing at all suggests the developers can make a good game (things suggest the opposite, actually) but it is going to be funded anyway. The idea of the game is good and a new STALKER-like game would be great, but that doesn't mean they deserve to be funded.

U-R

So, basically this is preordering an already funded game while development has not even started?

As much as i love S.T.A.L.K.E.R., this is no why kickstarter exists.
I'll buy it when it's actually done, thanks.

Denton

So, basically this is preordering an already funded game while development has not even started?

As much as i love S.T.A.L.K.E.R., this is no why kickstarter exists.
I'll buy it when it's actually done, thanks.

They claim to have pre-alpha and lot of money into it already.

Now they have 29 days to prove it by showing gameplay. Don't write them off yet.

U-R

Now they have 29 days to prove it by showing gameplay. Don't write them off yet.

I'm absolutely not writing them off, a game in the vein of STALKER is basically a instant-buy, day one, full price, no question asked. And the team is undoubtedly excellent and proven.

But using KS as a preorder platform like this, with an obviously fake and pretentious funding goal (50K? Are they doing it in pixel art?) is just not right, and a glaring abuse of the KS platform.

Der...I thought that was the whole reason behind the "pitch" video, to show that off there, not during the KS. If they had something worthwhile to show it probably would have been included. Otherwise piecing that together in less than 30 days seems like wishful thinking. I want to see that rainbow plumed wolf in action though, assuming that's not just the company logo.

Denton

I'm absolutely not writing them off, a game in the vein of STALKER is basically a instant-buy, day one, full price, no question asked. And the team is undoubtedly excellent and proven.

But using KS as a preorder platform like this, with an obviously fake and pretentious funding goal (50K? Are they doing it in pixel art?) is just not right, and a glaring abuse of the KS platform.

Read the FAQ. They say they sinked their money into it and basically ran out. They need the money to finish development.

Now, one may or may not believe them. But personally I am giving them the benefit of the doubt until given reason not to.

I do wish people would generally pay more attention to things before declaring big statements like "abuse of KS plaform! Will somebody think of the children!" out of ignorance.

Denton

Der...I thought that was the whole reason behind the "pitch" video, to show that off there, not during the KS. If they had something worthwhile to show it probably would have been included. Otherwise piecing that together in less than 30 days seems like wishful thinking. I want to see that rainbow plumed wolf in action though, assuming that's not just the company logo.

Yes, obviously, which is why I wrote this comment on their KS page after backing:

You know, this sounds really amazing and all, but that Kickstarter video was just horrible. I really want this to suceed and get the game made, because Stalker was amazing and cancellation of Stalker 2 hurts to this day, but...guys, please look at Kingdom Come: Deliverance and their KS video. THAT is how you do it! You NEED to appear before the camera - your studio founders at least - and you NEED to show some gameplay footage. KS video is the first thing potential backer sees...and you really messed that up. Not to mention the horrible sound mixing!

I agree they fucked the pitch video up horribly. But they have 29 days to prove they are not full of shit. If they manage to prove it, I will keep my pledge. If not, I will pull it. In any case, I do not lose.

Yes, obviously, which is why I wrote this comment on their KS page after backing:

I agree they fucked the pitch video up horribly. But they have 29 days to prove they are not full of shit. If they manage to prove it, I will keep my pledge. If not, I will pull it. In any case, I do not lose.

Good on you for calling them out on it, hopefully they listen and are able to cobble something more substantial together to show off. I do want this to succeed, but need to see more before I back them.

Corsick

It's odd, they say they've invested a good amount of money in the game and are making a new engine. They have a low stretch goal so it isn't about taking a huge sum of money and running. The footage is largely recycled and old, yet they have a pre alpha running? I really want this to be great, but it seems their organization is really messy. Like they didn't anticipate having to pitch this on kickstarter. They have pedigree, but need to really try harder to sell us on Areal, not stalker if that makes any sense. I want a true, legitimate sequel to CoP more than anything, but this seems janky so far. Kind of fitting I guess. I hope they get new footage soon to prove they've invested money into this and the new engine.

Denton

From KS comments:

Thanks again for all of your support and comments! We're sorry that we can't answer all of you, but we read every comment. We will post an update today with a couple of surprises in store, and we'll try to answer most of your questions within that update.

Guri

Huh, this is weird. A dev from Vostok Games is saying the claims that some people at West Games worked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro Last Light is fake and they're contacting GSC's lawyers. Let's keep an eye out.

Reservations be damned, I'm backing the shit out of this. I NEED a new STALKER fix and there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon to fit the bill.

Guri

I was waiting to get more info, but now I'm waiting to see if it's a real project with a real studio behind it.

Has all the telltale signs of a scam to me. They say repeatedly that they're building a proprietary engine and yet every time in the video they show someone "working" it's in the Unity editor or Visual Studio (with a Unity template code project open). Not to mention what they have in Unity is just the example scene from this very popular asset pack (see 2 minutes into the video). Seems super dishonest about the current state of the game at best but it's way more likely this is just a straight up scam. Also the 50k budget is completely unrealistic and should be a sign of it being a joke just by itself. Sure wish it was real tho :(

Has all the telltale signs of a scam to me. They say repeatedly that they're building a proprietary engine and yet every time in the video they show someone "working" it's in the Unity editor or Visual Studio (with a Unity template code project open). Not to mention what they have in Unity is just the example scene from this very popular asset pack (see 2 minutes into the video). Seems super dishonest about the current state of the game at best but it's way more likely this is just a straight up scam. Also the 50k budget is completely unrealistic and should be a sign of it being a joke just by itself. Sure wish it was real tho :(

I JUST read through the comments and saw backers concerned regarding this. Decided not to back it.

What a huge bummer! Maybe they can convince me otherwise with a proper update.

They say the engine being used is so much better than 3rd parties but they don't bother explaining how.. Possibly the worst pitch ive ever seen.

Guri

Huw is on NeoGAF, right? Someone could reach him to be sure if the guy who supposedly worked at 4A (Peter Dushynskyi) really worked there. The people from Vostok Engine don't recognize anyone from Areal's team and they also think they (West Games) are using concept arts they don't own. The thing is definitely a bit weird.

LegionX

People have noted that the small bit of footage in the pitch that wasn't from a STALKER game has ended up being just from a Post Apocalyptic Environment pack from the Unity Store

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USVMbvPDhgw

Which is a bit of a bad sign seeing as they are claiming they have developed their own engine

OK, while typing this they updated in the comments

"Regarding in-game footage, we have worked on various engines to thoroughly examine as well as learn about how different technologies and resources work. This development process is what we tried to convey in our trailer. Doing this allows us to maximize frame-rate and graphical fidelity in our game."

Yea... I'm not convinced... they claim the engine and game are pre-alpha yet they are showing stock Unity footage they didn't make themselves

Top Bottom