• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Wii official site opens

Rpgmonkey

You're on a roll with the Japanese site openings/updates today huh? :lol

Nothing really worthwhile here it seems though...

later

15x5mxv.jpg

2urxmb7.jpg

duckroll

sp0rsk said:
There's a screenshot there that shows a ton of zombies on screen.

I guess it depends on what "a ton of zombies" is. In every screenshot the most number of zombies you see at a time is about 20, but the camera is such that it's a much closer person view, so the "crowded" feel is retained.

Looking really nice... not sure if I'd have preferred worse looking / lower poly zombies in favour of more on screen or not yet though.

EDIT:
Interesting HUD changes though... a couple of those Wii screens show a melee weapon being wielded, but a gun in the HUD... change to the inventory system where you always have both a melee and a gun equipped and can switch on the fly between the two?

Also a change from health 'boxes' to (what clearly looks like an expandable) a health 'bar'.

dead-rising-20060807043305126.jpg

Screeny of ingame HUD from 360 version

kinggroin

Banned
I have zero interest in this butchered iteration, but I must say that with a little more polish, this'll look like pretty damn respectable compared the 360 version afterall :lol Can't be much worse than the LP PS3 port anyway.

Nice to see this kind of effort being put into the visual side of things.

Shame about the gameplay though.

edit: I'm calling shenanigans on some pics. There is obviously a huge discrepancy between cutscenes and player controlled sections. Maybe FMVs of the 360 version (for the cutscenes)?

Compare:
dead-rising-20060510004849525_640w.jpg

ss6.jpg

zoukka

Hmm if the amount of secrets remains as huge as in the original, then I might pick this one up. IR aiming will be nice and I hope they go for supersmooth framerate.

ivysaur12

Banned
The zombies themselves look like trash, but the environments and number of enemies on the screen is somewhat respectable.

I might get this just because it's not a straight port.

duckroll

kinggroin said:
edit: I'm calling shenanigans on some pics. There is obviously a huge discrepancy between cutscenes and player controlled sections. Maybe FMVs of the 360 version (for the cutscenes)?

That's not out of the question, after all that's what RE4 PS2 did.

kinggroin said:
I have zero interest in this butchered iteration, but I must say that with a little more polish, this'll look like pretty damn respectable compared the 360 version afterall :lol Can't be much worse than the LP PS3 port anyway.

Compare:

ss6.jpg
damn

AniHawk

So what happened in the Famitsu thread that brought it to 1000 posts? I was afraid to look.

EDIT: I'm surprised the Wii version doesn't look like total ass. Capcom's been pretty good about that stuff though.

kinggroin

Banned
AniHawk said:
So what happened in the Famitsu thread that brought it to 1000 posts? I was afraid to look.

EDIT: I'm surprised the Wii version doesn't look like total ass. Capcom's been pretty good about that stuff though.

They completely changed how the game will play. Sucks for hardcore fans of the original (myself), great for newcomers that may have found the original game frustrating.

I know what you mean, the cutscenes do look good....a little tooo good.

Wouldn't be out of the question, would certainly cuts costs and time on the development side of things. Only way to check is to get Frank to dress up in various costumes and see what happens when the cutscene cuts in.

Journo's, you have been given a mission! :D

kinggroin said:

Compare:

ss6.jpg

So what does it tell us? Are the cutscenes realtime or FMVs???

duckroll

For reference, here's what a typical scene in the 360 version is like:

dead-rising-bloodbath-20060217015959892_640w.jpg

I think with the new camera it does a really, really good job of retaining the feel of the game with what is clearly a huge reduction in zombie numbers.

kinggroin

Banned
AniHawk said:
Specifically....?

Changes to the timer system (Now you have a select bunch of missions to accomplish before moving on. You don't pick and choose based on your time remaining).

No Photo taking mode. Why? Dunno.

Other little bits like the camera and zombie population reduction

AniHawk said:
Specifically....?

They mentioned something about making it more accessible, nobody really knows how yet, but you know. Wii kills real games etc.

Unless the above Wii screenies are just concept screenies for the HUDs, obvious differences are a change to the inventory system (weapons shown equipped are not weapons shown being wielded) and a change to a more traditional health bar system.

EDIT: oh yeah, they removed photo mode. OH NOES, I won't be able to take undead panty shots for cheap exp...

Gabyskra

Banned
AniHawk said:
Specifically....?

Nobody knows, people speculated about what they meant when they said that they're trying to appeal to the casual gamer too. No explanation. To me that's just PR, but we'll see. Of course you get the usual crowd that thinks that nothing good can come out of Wii. Like when any game gets a port (Okami, MGS TTS on Gamecube, etc).

AniHawk

kinggroin said:
Changes to the timer system (Now you have a select bunch of missions to accomplish before moving on. You don't pick and choose based on your time remaining).

Ah. I can see why that would reach 1000 posts then. I mean, it's so damn important.

In fairness to the Wii version, the shots could be taken from early in the game where the mall (especially the opening plaza) is populated by a handful of zombies. Its not until Day 2 where you start to see scenes like some of the 360 screens in this thread.

That being said, no-way is the Wii going to be able to replicate the very final part of the game, that will have to be cut-down (stonewall corridor section...you all know the part!)

kinggroin said:

I thought that was the whole point really :(

devilhawk

If they do it right, I think the camera reduction can work wonders and help offset the reduction of enemies on screen. That is definitely the best way to overcome limitations rather than have a ton of crappy looking enemies on the screen.

duckroll

Wait, has it actually been confirmed that there's no photo taking? I don't see that mentioned in the Famitsu article, unless I missed it somewhere in the interview. The producer/director talks about the controls, and how the structure of the game is being simplified for light users, etc, but I don't see any mention of the removal of the photo taking. It's just that the article does not touch on that aspect at all. Someone clarify?

zoukka

MrNyarlathotep said:
Huh, not having to do that shitty photo 'quest' is a +1 sale to me... I only really used photo mode to achievment whore + quick level anyway.

I haven't played the original but every game that has had a camera in it, has made me really happy about it. And I've seen these hilarious videos about DR in which the player sets up weird situations and shoots 'em. Apparently you get bonus points for dirty details and so on amirite?

Were you able to save the photos in DR? If not, then it's not as big of a deal I guess.

From the 1,000 reply thread;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=12001135&postcount=410

Yes, it seems like they'll be scaling back the number of enemies on screen. My Japanese is a bit rusty, but here's a translation of one of the interview questions.

Quote:
Famitsu: Being surrounded by tons of zombies was one of a main appeals in the original. Do you feel you'll have to lower the count in the Wii version?

Nakai: In the 360 version, you know there are a lot of zombies because the area is filled with them on into the background. This time we're working on a system in which the number of zombies nearby the player will instill a sense of "they'll be there" as they head through.

They're skewing it towards a casual crowd so difficulty is dropped. New stages, bosses, items. Picture taking is cut.

No photo mode....does that mean no Kent missions? :/

kinggroin said:
They completely changed how the game will play. Sucks for hardcore fans of the original (myself), great for newcomers that may have found the original game frustrating.
It's a port...would you've double-dipped otherwise? I don't get all the bitching over a port tbh.

duckroll

Wait, yeah I see it in the interview. He says that because they have adopted the new camera system, it does not fit with the photo taking gameplay systems from the 360 version, so that entire portion has been dropped. >_<

MrNyarlathotep said:
Here's hoping!

:lol

He annoyed the crap outta me in that first mission (probably because even though I met his stupid targets, the game refused to acknowledge them). He comes good later in the game though. :D

Top Bottom