• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 REVEALED! 60man MP, 8p Co-op, 2 campaigns, etc HOLY $#!t

kaching said:
OTOH, why shouldn't an enthusiast gamer, likely the biggest consumer target of E3 (esp. in its new form) be able to appreciate a look at a developer's work in progress simply for what it is, not overreacting like a bunch of Chicken Littles because it isn't precisely representative of a finished product that still won't be available for another 4 months anyway?

This board bitches incessantly when nonrealtime CG is shown for an upcoming game, yet when a developer comes along and shows EXACTLY where they are with their realtime game engine, they're hassled for NOT hiding things with smoke and mirrors.

What's the point of taking Insomniac to task over this? Game's not finished and they typically do the majority of their visual effects work towards the end of the project. We know this. The only people this is a "problem" for are people too concerned with the console war pissing match.

Great post, I agree 100%.

It is also a shame so many people are incapable of saying they were wrong. Instead they say "No, there are particles in the air in Screenshot A, but they are not present in Screenshot B!!!"

It's petty.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
i_am_ben said:
i hope the single player is top notch as i don't have any interest in playing the multiplayer.

Wouldn't worry about that either.

And of course, we haven't even started talking about co-op that much...

zeloe326

Went through the entire thread, watched all the videos and drooled at all the pictures posted. All I have to say is, day mother f-ing One for me. Game looks epic, as did the first one. No complaints here. If it controls like R1, Plays like R1, and looks better than R1, then what else can I ask for. Can't wait.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I gave in but that's it. Media-blackout for R2 has been reinstated for me!

I seriously can't wait for this game.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
jstevenson said:
Wouldn't worry about that either.

And of course, we haven't even started talking about co-op that much...

curse you people! i'd totally forgotten about the co-op campaign. looks like i will be playing multiplayer after all :lol

Firewire

Banned
Hey JS, after watching the Gamersyde R2 multiplayer video, I was wondering a bit about the shields. Are they set or are they still being tweaked? Just wondering!

belvedere said:
Is there any more videos of multiplayer that show off shit-tons of action possible in R2?

(Like this one-22 or 24 minutes in) http://www.thebitbag.com/2008/07/22...-and-talks-with-peter-molyneux-about-fable-2/

The ones I've seen seem to take place in smaller squad on squad battles, but this Hip Hop gamer video shows a bit more of just all out chaos a little ways into the R2 segment. I'm hoping there's more of this around somewhere.

HAHaha oh man that Hip Hop Gamer Show is entertaining :D

"Yo Ima bout to go into the shrine the Sony press conference with my mango smoothie" hahaha nice

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Firewire said:
Hey JS, after watching the Gamersyde R2 multiplayer video, I was wondering a bit about the shields. Are they set or are they still being tweaked? Just wondering!

still being tweaked effect wise.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Firewire said:

Yeah they said that this was a place holder as were the effects on many things. The only thing that concerns me about the shield being carried around with you, is normally with the auger I'll barricade myself in or I'll leave a trail of shields when I'm being chased, which does damage to them. I think that new shield is from the auger right? Or do I just sound like an idiot now.

jeremy_ricci said:
wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Get over it man. I'm not the only one who thinks the first shots were touched up. Even kittonwy agrees with me on this. I'm not saying it's ugly, it just didn't quite live up to those shots... since when am I not allowed to have an opinion? I can't believe I'm being tagged as a fanboy lately, by bitter fanboys like you. I ask you to check my post history again to get your stuff straight.

edit- Oh yeah JS. One question I had was were the grenades online a placeholder? In some of the videos they looked like they were going really slow. Like they were thrown, but floated out. I dunno if this is just something you tweaked for the 2nd one, or if it was like incomplete at the moment.

Firewire

Banned
msdstc said:
Yeah they said that this was a place holder as were the effects on many things. The only thing that concerns me about the shield being carried around with you, is normally with the auger I'll barricade myself in or I'll leave a trail of shields when I'm being chased, which does damage to them. I think that new shield is from the auger right? Or do I just sound like an idiot now.

Not sure what those shields are from! I think the Auger shield was re-done, but wasn't there some type of time limited shield you gained in MP from accomplishing certain tasks or something? Maybe that's the shield evident in that video.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Firewire said:
Not sure what those shields are from! I think the Auger shield was re-done, but wasn't there some type of time limited shield you gained in MP from accomplishing certain tasks or something? Maybe that's the shield evident in that video.

Yeah I think that's it. Has potential though. Truth be told my least used gun on R1 wa probably the auger in multi player. It's crazy powerful if you hit the guys in the head, but I just kinda sucked with it... I loved spamming walls and pulling up auger masters.:lol I also loved it for shooting down nodes from outside the base.

andycapps

JStevenson- Can you talk about the new pistol that was being shown in one of the videos? Looked pretty powerful, albeit slow reload times, etc. Also, in multiplayer videos released thus far, is the speed slower than in R1? It seems to be slower, both in grenades and movement of the characters. Then again, maybe it's the animations being incomplete that make it seem slower.

dralla

andycapps said:
JStevenson- Can you talk about the new pistol that was being shown in one of the videos? Looked pretty powerful, albeit slow reload times, etc. Also, in multiplayer videos released thus far, is the speed slower than in R1? It seems to be slower, both in grenades and movement of the characters. Then again, maybe it's the animations being incomplete that make it seem slower.

The Magnum's bullets can be remotely detonated..so if you shoot bullets into a wall or a body, pressing the Alt Fire will cause them to explode. The primary fire looks like your standard Magnum.

The game is definitely slower and more "weighty", as they've talked about it on the podcast.

I'm not JS but I think those answers will do D:

as for the grenades, the throwing animation looks strange, I don't think it's finished.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
dralla said:
The Magnum's bullets can be remotely detonated..so if you shoot bullets into a wall or a body, pressing the Alt Fire will cause them to explode. The primary fire looks like your standard Magnum.

The game is definitely slower and more "weighty", as they've talked about it on the podcast.

I'm not JS but I think those answers will do D:

Yeah it looks a lot slower... dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I guess we'll find out. The weird thing is, the grenades are slower, but definitely not weightier, they were floating in the footage I saw.

SetUhatU

R2 is looking great. Has there been any talk of supported resolutions? No 1080i/p support on R1 left me suffering through 480p.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
SetUhatU said:
R2 is looking great. Has there been any talk of supported resolutions? No 1080i/p support on R1 left me suffering through 480p.

There was no 1080i on R1? I didn't know that. I'm sure it's in the second one.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
SetUhatU said:

Yup. We support upscaled resolutions with our engine now. R1 didn't have it due to a last minute hardware change by Sony.

Chris_C

jstevenson said:
Don't worry about that. We aren't going to let our EU fans dangle.

Sort of off topic, but that video Ted prepared for the EU guys is really what should have been shown at E3, it looked amazing and showed off the marked improvements to the engine and gameplay better I think than the Leviathan fight.

Sorry keep harping about this as I imagine you guys are probably tired of hearing it, it just struck me how much better the game looks in that video Ted presented to the EU folks.

Xater

jstevenson said:
Don't worry about that. We aren't going to let our EU fans dangle.

That's great. I am hoping for a simultanious beta with worldwide online play. :D

I guess this time we will have this feature from the get go right? ;)

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
OTOH, why shouldn't an enthusiast gamer, likely the biggest consumer target of E3 (esp. in its new form) be able to appreciate a look at a developer's work in progress simply for what it is, not overreacting like a bunch of Chicken Littles because it isn't precisely representative of a finished product that still won't be available for another 4 months anyway?

This board bitches incessantly when nonrealtime CG is shown for an upcoming game, yet when a developer comes along and shows EXACTLY where they are with their realtime game engine, they're hassled for NOT hiding things with smoke and mirrors.

What's the point of taking Insomniac to task over this? Game's not finished and they typically do the majority of their visual effects work towards the end of the project. We know this. The only people this is a "problem" for are people too concerned with the console war pissing match.

It seems like that's the way they're handling the pipeline right now, gameplay first, visuals after the level is done, which I have no problem with as long as they can get the visuals in. From a marketing standpoint it would be nice to show a complete level because so many other games are trying to vie for the consumer's attention, you really want to blow people away visually even if they don't get to go hands-on with the demo.

I love the scale, on the other hand I'm really curious to see if the AI has improved in terms of flanking and pinning the player down and whatnot.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Chris_C said:
Sort of off topic, but that video Ted prepared for the EU guys is really what should have been shown at E3, it looked amazing and showed off the marked improvements to the engine and gameplay better I think than the Leviathan fight.

Sorry keep harping about this as I imagine you guys are probably tired of hearing it, it just struck me how much better the game looks in that video Ted presented to the EU folks.

We presented that to everyone who came by Sony's booth as well as in breakout sessions with a little bit more gameplay.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
jstevenson said:
We presented that to everyone who came by Sony's booth as well as in breakout sessions with a little bit more gameplay.
Come one Jstevenson ETA on the Fullmoon show!?

Dante

jstevenson said:

Did you send that HHG vid to your Insomniac co-workers? Seems like a really cool genuine reaction to the game!

FirewalkR

Dante said:
Did you send that HHG vid to your Insomniac co-workers? Seems like a really cool genuine reaction to the game!

He doesn't need to send it, they all read GAF. However, only JS and Bryan are allowed to post. And Ted Price, of course, who posts as Kittonwy.

Excited to hear what you guys thought about how your game showed at E3 as well as some insight into what the people who got more hands on time with the game were telling you.

Noon is fast approaching jstevenson. Can you guys do it in time? I'm f5ing the podcast page as I type this.

deepbrown

jstevenson said:
Yup. We support upscaled resolutions with our engine now. R1 didn't have it due to a last minute hardware change by Sony.
Wait, what? I'm sure 1080i HDTV owners would grab onto this comment and swear blind at Sony...

Top Bottom