• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithnCo

High chance would be Chrom, but it doesn't make sense as they can just make Chrom as Marth's clone instead of Lucina. Probably some other character *cough* Shulk *cough*

I can understand it if they made the decision that they had to make a Marth clone- if there has to be a clone, might as well use the character that looks more distinct.
And has more merch.

emb

I could imagine that leaker would thought Shulk is in the game but it's Robin after all.
I suspected that initially, but it doesn't make much sense. The same leak included "Pokemon X/Y" (and with Chrom, is generally probably very early). Why would we expect the leaker to have seen a picture at all, much less a picture/video with no written name?

batfax

Well, if it was Chrom that got axed (but he's strong against those!) it would explain why his model in Robin's FS is so dang good. If Robin originally had a different FS that they changed because of this, he could get it back if Chrom's "some other day" came with DLC.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I really do hope Wolf stays in, he's the least cloney clone in history, and super fun to play. Drop fuckin Falco if you gotta drop a space animal.

At least change Wolf's Final Smash, tho.

Moonlight

Banned
You know, you're joking but I was definitely wondering what the reaction would be if Shulk got dropped because the Gematsu leaker fucked it up for everyone with the tease last weekend.
There is almost no way that Sakurai would cut a character just because people already knew about it beforehand. It's not like that happened with Brawl, and it's especially hard to swallow if he already had work done on him before deciding a leak 'ruined it'.

You know, you're joking but I was definitely wondering what the reaction would be if Shulk got dropped because the Gematsu leaker fucked it up for everyone with the tease last weekend.

That's probably the least plausible theory I've heard, cut a character 2 months before release because of some leaker? lol

I can understand it if they made the decision that they had to make a Marth clone- if there has to be a clone, might as well use the character that looks more distinct.
And has more merch.

Still waiting for Lucina's figma to happen, not just wonfest prototype ;___;

Reducing Mario to "5 characters" seems silly because, series icons aside, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, and Diddy Kong are all essentially "Mario characters."

DK and Diddy have had more games in the DK series than in the Mario series. Party and Kart don't count since those are all-star games like Smash.

I would call Yoshi a Mario character since he's appeared more frequently in Mario games than in Yoshi games.

Azure J

Yeah, I know. There are few concerns that I having with those Famitsu informations.

1. Who is the cut character, and which void did Lucina just filled out
2. Sound like DLC might be out of question since they had to quickly fill out the roster instead of waiting and patch it later with DLC characters.
3. I wonder how long Robin have been planned to be in the game because Gematsu didn't specifically leak Robin.

Or Sakurai being the type of person he is, wants to meet a specific quota established for this game's disc release before thinking about DLC additions?

I know optimism leads to heart break but come on now.

That's probably the least plausible theory I've heard, cut a character 3 months before release because of some leaker? lol

I wasn't thinking that, just that one of the leaked characters would have to be cut because of developmental problems.

Or Sakurai being the type of person he is, wants to meet a specific quota established for this game's disc release before thinking about DLC additions?

Besides, clones would be pretty lame DLC.

The Famitsu thing could be talking about any character, it doesn't necessarily mean Chrom. Fact remains that Gematsu never named Rosalina, never named Robin, and also claimed that Shulk was the character being revealed on Monday. It's been debunked from several angles already. At the very least it is not the full extent of the roster, and honestly I find the whole thing suspect as hell.

Not saying it isn't debunked but this point has been countered many times in that the leak never said they were all the characters that were left.

Azure J

That's probably the least plausible theory I've heard, cut a character 2 months before release because of some leaker? lol

I mean, I openly admit that I don't know shit when it comes to how licensing and the like work for games like this (NDAs getting broken or whatever). I'm also going on the record to say that I don't believe in any of this, just having a moment with a silly idea.

Axass

If he didn't want to cut a slot it could mean that:

1. The character slots are a well rounded number, like 50.
  2. Cutting a slot would somehow make the select screen uneven.

The Famitsu thing could be talking about any character, it doesn't necessarily mean Chrom. Fact remains that Gematsu never named Rosalina, never named Robin, and also claimed that Shulk was the character being revealed on Monday. It's been debunked from several angles already. At the very least it is not the full extent of the roster, and honestly I find the whole thing suspect as hell.

I wouldnt use the word debunked, it just has errors that need filled. And until we have a valid explanation, the leak is up in the air. The next reveal should hopefully explain things, or at least make it clearer.

mrhej

I feel like the Chroms' line "I Suppose I'll get my chance another day" is a direct reference to the leak. It has to be what else could it mean?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Those informations don't really sound optimism to me, and I don't like to get my hope high for something that might not happens.

Lunar15

Was there an interview in Famitsu? The scans we have only show small snippets of info, nothing that looks like quotes or an interview.

The Famitsu thing could be talking about any character, it doesn't necessarily mean Chrom. Fact remains that Gematsu never named Rosalina, never named Robin, and also claimed that Shulk was the character being revealed on Monday. It's been debunked from several angles already.

Several angles? Nope. Leaker never claimed it was comprehensive. So it's one angle, and even that can be explained if that translation is accurate.

All this talk about how Lucina was shuffled in to fill a roster spot, and how she's just like Marth but without the tipping, simply makes me miss Roy. Seems like they could have just brought him back instead and nobody would be confused, and then they could have still kept Lucina as a Marth alt.

Then we get 2 characters instead of one, at hardly any additional work.

If he didn't want to cut a slot it could mean that:

1. The character slots are a well rounded number, like 50.
  2. Cutting a slot would somehow make the select screen uneven.

Or it could mean that they had enough time to add a clone but not a full blown new character, and since Lucina already had a model (since she was planned as Marth alt), and makes sense as clone lore-wise, it was easier to include her individually instead of making a new model for somebody else. That said, this was probably the closest to Roy returning we're ever going to get (since he represented in Melee was Lucina is for Smash 4 - changing the stronger tipper and weaker blade to equal power across the blade), and he didn't make it, so we can assume he's definitely out.

EmCeeGramr made a good point in the reveal thread:

I feel like we're probably going to see Shulk and/or Rhythm Heaven character in the final game and all of the people saying "well it's obviously fake now" are going to be confused by the idea that there's a level of access between "Sees the whole game every single day" and "is a liar making things up"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
At least, the interview painted the clear picture that Dark Pit is more likely to be alt costume for Pit, unless there is other cut that they have to quickly to make Dark Pit as clone.

The blurb about how Lucina came to be is basically "Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."

or something like that

Maybe there's something on the rest of the page that mentions a cut character, but... I don't see why it wouldn't go along with the section on why she was included. No mention of cut characters or needing to fill in a removed spot.

Guesong

I feel like the Chroms' line "I Suppose I'll get my chance another day" is a direct reference to the leak. It has to be what else could it mean?

... it means he's not a playable character this time around.

That's all. No offense, but there's no illuminati message and secret codes being tossed around in these trailers, nothing about an underground war of Sakurai vs The Leak.

Maybe Shulk was cut because Sakurai felt bad for the dude who was going to have to suck all those dicks.

tumblr_inline_mpizp22CU91qz4rgp.gif

only to show up as DLC

Zubz

Banned
Lucina was originally included as Marth Skin? Oh wow. I'm curious with which character that got cut. Is it sound like DLC characters are out of the question.

I doubt it means that. Chrom would be the 3rd character debuting from a single game if that were the case, and Smash 4 is literally all 3 characters' 2nd appearance ever. I still think most characters that were cut/half-finished will get in (Like Lucas, if the Gematsu leak still holds true), but between that and Chrom already being in as somebody else's Final Smash, I think he isn't coming back. However, it's not stopping, say, Mewtwo from coming back in as DLC. Although I doubt Pokemon'll get back all it's cuts, as that'd require 4 characters, skyrocketing it past everyone else despite likely having a fighting game of its own (C'mon, Pokken!)

Fiktion

Banned
The blurb about how Lucina came to be is basically "Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."

or something like that
So there's nothing about a cut character?

Guesong

All this talk about how Lucina was shuffled in to fill a roster spot, and how she's just like Marth but without the tipping, simply makes me miss Roy. Seems like they could have just brought him back instead and nobody would be confused, and then they could have still kept Lucina as a Marth alt.

Then we get 2 characters instead of one, at hardly any additional work.

Well, they'd have to model and texture Roy from the ground up, whereas Lucina was already modelled as an alt. That's workload.

Kyzer

Banned
Didn't the leaker say that the reveal would be shulk? It wasn't. And Chrom is not in the game, like he said he would be. Guys either a fraud, has bad information, or is completely guessing. Or a combination of the three. Either way it means he's hardly any more credible than any other rumor starting "leaker"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom