• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t Listen to the Naysayers Switch 2 release is NEAR

Sorcerer

What does development hell actually mean? Are they having creative, artistic or technical problems? In any case I'd rather they focus on Switch 2 and give us a beautiful Metroid game.

Interesting post OP. I hope you're right that we're close to exciting news.
Miyamoto probably took a look at how the game is developing and flipped some chairs and tables over. Start over, Start over, too much story!!!

muno

Neo Member
I am under the imrpession that the Switch successor has been done for a while now, it's just about the timing. I predict early 2024 and an announcement in fall 2023.

Marvel14

Banned
That’s not entirely true though, all they said in their last financial earnings call was that:

It’s carefully worded. The forecast can obviously change if they do factor new hardware in.

confused scary movie GIF by Bounce

Damn it you're right...how journalists misquote and reinterpret ...wow.

Still, q1 2024 seems 95% more probable than anytime sooner.

Hudo

After seeing today’s Nintendo Direct combined with the recent Ubisoft comments on Mario Rabbids 2, I am FULLY CONVINCED Nintendo Switch 2 release is near…how near? Read on.

First though, today’s Direct.

Today’s Nintendo’s Direct had some really good games announced. 2D Mario looks more inspired than 2d Mario on Wii U. Batman, Metal Gear, Star Ocean, Fae Farm, Saturday Morning Cartoon game all look good. Pikmin, Lugi Mansion 2, Super Princess Peach 2 all look good. The standout was Super Mario RPG, because I am old enough to remember how special that game was. Yet, everything announced seemed mostly smaller in scope and had a sense of finality to it.

You think Nintendo would not be crazy enough to release a new 2d Mario and Mario RPG that close to new hardware. It could eat into software cycle sales. They have done it before. Albeit a while ago. Super Mario RPG SNES released in Japan, March 1996. N64 released in Japan in June 1996. A mere 3 months apart.

The most interesting announcement in the Direct though was…Pokemon DLC. Why? Because there was a post last year on 4chan that was 100% correct about predicting Pokemon Scarlet and Violet And spoke about performance patches for the “New Switch”. Which launches around the release of the second Pokemon DLC.

The first Pokemon DLC releases in Fall 2023. With the second likely releasing in Winter 2023/ early 2024. Technically “Winter” by northern hemisphere calendar standards. Which would be 2 or 3 months likely after Pokemon DLC 1 releases for Scarlet and Violet. If Scarlet and Violet releases in November, the 2nd DLC will likely release in February 2024.

I firmly believe after today the rumors of Fzero, and Paper Mario TTYD are for NEXT GEN. Nintendo has a belief in releasing one iteration of a particular title per generation. One Paper Mario, one Mario Kart, one Smash Bros, one Animal Crossing, etc. I see no reason why Paper Mario TTYD would come to Switch if new hardware is imminent, unless it is a cross generation release. F-zero, I see as a coin flip. But Switch 2 could allow F-zero to shine with fancy graphics, a more mature game and hopefully better online in the launch window for Switch 2 to entice early adopters and order gamers. F-zero would like on SNES probably sell better as a launch window game as well.

I firmly believe Nintendo has learned to use it back catalog of games to create HD remakes to fill and pad out a release schedule now. Next gen has N64, GameCube, Wii, 3ds, and Wii U to all choose from. Easily enough content to fill up a release schedule for several generations and build around their own unique new first party titles.

Where was Metroid today? If Prime 2-3 release in September, then it would be a perfect gateway for Switch 2 to launch with Metroid Prime 4. At this point, I can only conclude either Metroid Prime 4 is in serious developmental hell (as one rumor suggested) or it is a launch game for Switch 2.

Finally is Nintendo returning to Gamescom and holding it’s first ever Nintendo Live event in he United States in September. I believe the future will be teased in this time frame. I suspect Nintendo goes “Full Wizard” in September and lets certain participants play some next gen game in a controlled environment. It would not surprise me to see Bloomberg or WSJ start reporting about Switch successor in the coming months.

Based on everything above and a few other things I am not able to share, in my opinion. Switch 2 (Next Gen) is launching between November 2023 and April 2024. I think February is the likely date though. Don’t let everyone sell you on bull crap. Nintendo has NOT specifically said Switch 2 will not launch before April. All Nintendo actually said publicly was they will only comment on Switch sales thru March 31, 2024.

Switch 2 is imminent.

Interesting times ahead!
To be fair, I haven't read all that. I just came in to say that the only hint necessary for me to believe that they will most likely at least announce a Switch successor next year was the fact that they refused to tell more about that Peach game. That sounds to me like there might be features in their that could hint at what the next system could be and thus they refused to clarify. But maybe it was just me being drunk.

Chiggs

Where was Metroid today? If Prime 2-3 release in September, then it would be a perfect gateway for Switch 2 to launch with Metroid Prime 4. At this point, I can only conclude either Metroid Prime 4 is in serious developmental hell (as one rumor suggested) or it is a launch game for Switch 2.

This was the most aggravating part of the presentation. They drop Pikmin 1 and 2 but not one word about Metroid Prime 2 or 3?!

tr1p1ex

It's not launching that early. WE'll hear about it by next summer.

If it was to launch Nov 2023 we would have heard about it already. And considering the games releasing this fall and the DLC and the stuff announced for next year. We aren't going to hear about the next console this fall either which means it isn't launching by April 2024 either.

I think we'll hear about it by summer of 2024. ON the early side of that if it launches xmas 2024. ON the later side of that if it launches March 2025.

Nintendo officially announced the Switch 5 months before it launched. There were strong rumors on what it was before that.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consoles need time to digest it’s that simple. At some point they’ll be ps6, and Xbox series x 2 but Nintendo switch consoles are selling now and that’s different than before.

Darko

What are you talking about they still have plenty of GameCube games left to port and charge full price for. I can wait :)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Near is such a relative word.
This years is out of question, end of next year may be possible however.

Hudo

Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. I won’t be buying it if the new Switch is lacking an Oled screen at launch. That is seriously a deal breaker for me.
I think you're gonna be safe there since the standard Switch model is the OLED one already anyway.

Smasher89

Unless switch pro is announced in early july (like literally all extra iterations on 3ds, and I think maybe even switch lite), there is nothing this fiscal year, based on their end of march or april report (those reports are usually very informative about how the upcoming year is gonna look like game or gamedrought wise).

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Remember all the rumors about the Nintendo NX before they revealed it. We have heard jack shit about nintendos next hardware.

Tams

Bruh, they can't release any console until April 2024 otherwise they would have lied to investors and financial authorities.

Alan Wake

Nintendo is in no hurry. Switch continues to sell really well, dropping yoy but not that much and now getting another boost from TotK. I've said 2024 for some time but that depends on how Switch continues to sell. It'll launch with a new 3D Mario for sure.

RAIDEN1

Some may say releasing in 2025 and having PS4/Xbox -one tech under the hood is REALLY behind the curve, but as Nintendo has demonstrated for decades now, that don't matter to them and it hasn't since 2001..

LoveCake

There will be about a year after the announcement before it will be released, I think it will be announced Q4 this year to be released Q3/Q4 2024.

Banned
There will be about a year after the announcement before it will be released, I think it will be announced Q4 this year to be released Q3/Q4 2024.

6 months at most from announcement to launch.

it worked last time, and they'll try there's
their best to copy the success of the Switch.

Wooxsvan

i will buy a new one so i can continue my Totk play through. If not Back compatible i may never support Nintendo again

***AGAIN THOUGH*** this is just my guess. I am not an insider.

A few months an ago a developer was on a podcast talking about their game in vague terms, and we got an update on it recently. They explained we would see it at an ”event” in mid July.

They offered no further explanation. I saw a recent update on the game and said, the reveal is ”soon”, and it is not “their event”.

So it could be the rumored Sony event for ps5 slim and the Handheld system. But, i am thinking it is Nintendo. This has always been my belief.

I do believe the recent talk of Red Dead is more smoke. Whether it is Switch Pro or Switch 2, or Super Switch. Whatever it is called, based on Nintendo’s own statements about how they are HUGE fans of Red Dead in particular, just as they said Skyrim was part of their inspiration about BOTW. I think Red Dead is coming to Nintendo, even if it launches after the other consoles.

The game i am referring to is not Red Dead. But when we see more and more smoke, i think an announcement is likely. Even if the hardware does not launch until early 2024.

Nintendo is in no hurry. Switch continues to sell really well, dropping yoy but not that much and now getting another boost from TotK. I've said 2024 for some time but that depends on how Switch continues to sell. It'll launch with a new 3D Mario for sure.
It’s not so much about hardware sales as much as software. So long as the software keeps selling they wouldn’t have much of a reason to bring out a Switch 2. But since devkits are coming I assume that 2024 might be the year. But I feel like 2025 would be the the proper timeframe.

Some. Yes it will. Everyone seems convinced this is a whole new hardware…

What if it is an upgrade, like upgrading iPhone models?

Those games could be updated more easily.

Anyway. Again, We will see.
That would suck and wouldn’t be worth waiting for. I hope it’s more like XSS/XSX/PS5. A new generation that is BC.

Last edited:
That would suck and wouldn’t be worth waiting for. I hope it’s more like XSS/XSX/PS5. A new generation that is BC.
I think you will be disappointed if you expect XSX/PS5 power.

I have no idea on BC. If it is like an iPhone upgrade, i assume it is BC.

If it is a complete break from Switch. I find that highly dangerous, and while not a deal breaker. It would anger a LOT of people.

Alan Wake

It’s not so much about hardware sales as much as software. So long as the software keeps selling they wouldn’t have much of a reason to bring out a Switch 2. But since devkits are coming I assume that 2024 might be the year. But I feel like 2025 would be the the proper timeframe.
Yes, absolutely. It's insane, Mario Kart 8 is still doing well. A 2014 Wii U game! I think 2025 is not unlikely.

Top Bottom