• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to 2025

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I find the image quality and performance to be good. Especially considering it's a PS5 game on a handheld.
RC-Rivet-jp.jpg

RC-Under-jp.jpg

RC-City-jp.jpg

Valve was smart to include 16GB RAM and a NVMe drive. I don't have much hope that the Switch 2 will have a NVMe, and one can only hope they have at least 12GB RAM in light of the 8GB rumors. Switch 2 would have a hard time running Rift Apart without those 2 things.
I think Steam Deck was really well put and regardless of better specs being available on other handhelds I have to support them for the work they did, especially on Proton and the OS itself (and the open Software, console like stable HW specs on the other). The overall OS + overlay + HW (input options included too) is for me amazing.

Cannot wait for Steam Deck 2 in a few years (very happy Steam Deck OLED customer here, traded the old one for the upgrade as the screen was its only issue for me).

The more time it takes, closer Switch 2 will be to Xbox Series S, on portable mode...
Then the DOCK mode will be closer to PS5 performance...

Does anyone agree with me?? if not, please tell me why

Having a dedicated dock that significantly boosts games makes much more sense and should be a way to go.

Switch 2 undocked - PS4 quality
Switch 2 docked - PS5

You're deluded and going to be pretty disappointed if you think that the Switch 2 will even be remotely close to a PS5's perf, when docked, let alone a Series S.

The SoC that the Switch 2 will have is the T239 Ampere, core for core slightly lesser than an RTX 3050, and most probably clocks as well since it's a mobile chip.

The vast majority of games you'll get on the Switch 2 will be 900p-1080p native internally rendered (while docked) and DLSS 3'D to 4K output. On handheld it will be even lower, and then DLSS 3'D to that 8" LCD screen with that PPI, an adequate amount.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Let's say that Switch 2 really isn't coming until next year... what Switch games are any of you looking forward to this year?
Metroid Prime 4 is literally the only known Switch game left that I'm looking forward to (unless they announce more stuff this year)...

With Nintendo you never know. Incredibly, we didn’t know Super Mario Wonder exists until June 21st last year. Four months later we were playing on our Switches.

That said, I think anything of that caliber will now be moved to the launch slate. The only thing we can anticipate is Luigi’s Mansion 2 remake.

locoghoul

Neo Member
Let's say that Switch 2 really isn't coming until next year... what Switch games are any of you looking forward to this year?
Metroid Prime 4 is literally the only known Switch game left that I'm looking forward to (unless they announce more stuff this year)...
I don't see any major release if it is end of life. Pokemon Let's Go might be their last franchise sell of the system. Would be nice to get a 3D Donkey Kong but don't see that happening

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
A delay isn't gonna make it more powerful or give it an OLED display or anything, lol. It's gonna be the exact same hardware it would have been had it already been released. If they're delaying it it's for strategic purposes.

Nor will it mean any price difference imo. You are getting that 5 year old hardware for $400 still....

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
A delay isn't gonna make it more powerful or give it an OLED display or anything, lol. It's gonna be the exact same hardware it would have been had it already been released. If they're delaying it it's for strategic purposes.
This is a pretty simple minded impression of how R&D works.

No, they’re not going to go back to the drawing board and redesign it with a new screen. But it’s highly likely they developed multiple candidates (say, one with a LCD and one with OLED). And it’s very possible they decided that it’s worth a slight delay to launch with OLED.

I work in R&D for a tech company, this is very common. You develop a few different candidates with different hardware specs, then decide on one much later on based on supplier availability, cost, competitive analysis, etc etc. and it’s very common to have a backup plan in case one component can’t be sourced or can’t be developed in time (“ideally we want to use component A but we can use component B if A doesn’t pass QA” or whatever)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
And furthermore, the reason they wouldn't launch with an OLED(rumor) has nothing to do with pricing or R&D. It's to get the double-dip later on. Same deal with stick drift, especially on the Lite. It's a feature. The system just ends up getting thrown in the junk box in the closet and the parents buy another one because of the software they've already purchased(sunk-cost fallacy).

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
that's just raw power without counting up scaling methods like dlss, fsr and nintendo's own thing. the little machine will be capable.

No, the raw power will be more akin to a PS4. The newer architecture and things like dlss could get it closer to PS4 Pro performance.

PS4 Pro was 4.2 tflops. Switch 2 won't have that raw power.

Top Bottom