• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest studio delays upcoming action-RPG

no-rest-for-the-wicked-steam-ss.jpg

The next game from Ori and the Blind Forest developer Moon Studios has been delayed slightly.

No Rest for the Wicked, an isometric action-RPG with darker visuals, is a departure from the Ori games. It was revealed in December at The Game Awards, and the developer gave an early access release window on Steam of the first three months of 2024.

However, the game's early access launch has now been delayed to Q1 of the financial year 2025 (or Q2 of the calendar year 2024), as revealed in Take-Two's earning report for Q3 2024.
A reason hasn't been given for the delay, so we're expecting to hear about the game next on 1st March during publisher Private Division's Wicked Inside showcase, dedicated solely to No Rest for the Wicked. The game will release on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S sometime after its early access launch on Steam.

No Rest for the Wicked is part of Take-Two's impressive-sounding line-up for 2024 and 2025, including GTA 6, Ken Levine's Judas, a new action-adventure IP in collaboration between Private Division and Pokémon developer Game Freak codenamed Project Bloom, cosy Hobbit life sim Tales of the Shire, and TopSpin 2K25.

Take-Two also announced in its earnings report it is looking to take "even more robust" measures in its cost reduction program to cut expenses, though said it has "no current plans" to lay off staff.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Take the time you need.

I’d rather have had a third Ori game though. This doesn’t look very interesting imo, although I’m sure it’ll turn out to be great. The Ori games are amazing, Will of the Wisps especially.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Star Wars Reaction GIF

One of my most hyped games this year! Moon Studios is love.

I want the game to be perfect when it launches, so I can understand, but man this delay hurts.

I'm still not over Silksong and Hades 2 delays and now this ...

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I think this will be the first of many delays pushing content to 2025. If Nintendo gets the switch 2 out this year they will gorge themselves on users for the new platform and profit.

This looks really good but I have no interest in playing until its released into regular access on consoles anyways. Hopefully on Switch 2 by then as well.

Hades 2 is another one. Early access single player games is so dumb.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

One of my most anticipated games, no doubt. Was gonna stay clear of any early access anyway, and hope they take all the time they need.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
How is it going to be a dumpster fire?
Quarter 1 results will be quite poor across the industry, you will continue to see game studio reductions or complete closures/consolidations, and even slightly "risky" games will get shelved or cancelled outright. On top of that we might be seeing the start of agnostic platform support (at least for Microsoft) which will drive investement from publishers and developers in older games for new platforms, reducing the amount of "new" games and replacing them with a library of old backlog titles.

Notable 3rd party publishers (Ubisoft and EA) are getting absolutely dunked on by "the player base" and have already reported disappointing sales (at least in Ubi's case) regarding newly released titles, and you have "super groups" (Embracer) who are closing entire swaths of their portfolio pipeline.
This year reeks of 2010/2011....and if you don't remember those years it was a goddamn blood bath for game production (studios, talent, etc.).

Of course, maybe everyone will spring back in Q3 and Q4 of this year and it will be a banger of a closeout to 2024 like 2023 but imo (which seems to be echoed by investments groups who target the games industry)...

Season 3 Episode 23 GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:
Huh

WTF

How did I miss this game being announced? And it's releasing this year? Damn, cannot wait. Loved Ori...this game looks fantastic....a dark zelda type game?

Top Bottom