• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon Studios CEO says playing Ori and the Blind Forest on Xbox Game Pass doesn't help the studio

Draugoth

Gold Member
Developer Moon Studios gained its popularity in the gaming industry by developing the games Ori and the Blind Forest in 2015 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 2020.Both games were developed in partnership with Xbox Game Studios and obviously for this reason, both are available right now to play via Xbox Game Pass.

However, according to Moon Studios' CEO on social media, Thomas Mahler Gennadiy, playing Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps via Xbox Game Pass doesn't help the studio, and he recommends that players buy their copies via Steam:

Appreciate all the messages about wanting to support Moon!Best way you can do that is by just buying Ori:

When asked "Why not on the Xbox store?", he replied

Cause then people get it on gamepass and that doesn’t help Moon :)

He also said Ori on PlayStation is up to Phil Spencer:

MikeM

Gasp What GIF by Big Brother

nial

Gold Member
Did the Moon Studios CEO not negotiate a contract with Microsoft in the first place? Did that contract not involve lots of money? 💰

If not then why did you sign such a contract with Microsoft?
The second game started development before the 'Day 1 on GP' strategy happened. It must also be a big reason as to why they're not working with MS anymore.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I don’t think Thomas from Moon Studios likes Phil Spencer any more, hence seeking a new publisher for No Rest For The Wicked.

Kuranghi

The funny thing I'm taking away from this is I was DMing this guy on twitter asking if he could help me fix my broken HDR in Ori 2. He tried to help me but eventually he was like "I dunno pal" 🤷‍♂️

Now I'm finding out he's the fucking CEO lol I thought he was a lead engineer (maybe he was at the time? This was a couple of years back), I imagine him in really important meetings making decisions that affect a lot of people and this cunt here is messaging like "uhhhh how do I fix hdr???" 🤣

This does explain some of the things he said like "sometimes the sliders are funny" (paraphrased), he did actually tell me that you can still get HDR outside exclusive fullscreen as long as Windows knows what's happening with the game's range output though, I didn't know that and I thought it must be always be in ex. fullscreen mode for the HDR to render properly.

Last edited:
From any angle, though, millions of people having access to your game is a positive for the game. As far as exposure, brand recognition, word-of-mouth.

Financially, which is the only thing he’s addressing, yeah you’re not selling individual units you’re just making a lump sum according to whatever agreement you made with Xbox.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
It obviously doesn't get them paid since MS owns the rights. I think Mahler is wrong, though, about it not helping the studio. Any exposure to get people excited about future Moon Studios games is good. I'm pumped for No Rest for the Wicked.

Same Will happen to their Wicked Game.....it's a trap for those kind of studios

No Rest for the Wicked isn't launching on Game Pass. I think it's Private Division, too.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t say I have much interest in helping their studio. I’ll be happy to continue buying the games as long as the output is good though.

Pop

Doesn’t sound like he has any malice for MS. He’s just saying if you want to go out of your way to support the studio then buy the game directly.

I hope people keep playing their games through gamepass forever now

Idiot

mejin

Well, the majority just play the games on GP and never look back. We all know It pretty well.

Anyway, more Sales on PlayStation coming tio.

DonF

"i made a poo poo deal, buuh huuh"

edit: both games are great, I have both for the swith, I liked the first one better...

Last edited:

SHA

GP just expose games that's not worth revisiting, how about we agree on this opinion piece and move on? , taking gp into account for future games is part of the marketing team, they need to figure this out.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Probably though that the deal money would compensate people not buying games on the plataform. I don't think asking people to support will help either.

jm89

Gamepass just prolonged the death of Xbox consoles.

It may do some lasting damage even after Xbox consoles are gone if those users still don't want to buy games.

Last edited:
He got paid when he signed with GamePass

I will not buy Ori, I already supported them by playing it on GP

Don’t like the terms, don’t do the deals
Yeah that's easy to say after the fact but when you are a new studio and need a publisher and someone comes along waiving cash in your face generally you take it. Plus he wasn't complaining the person asked him a question and he answered.

WTH hell. Pretty sure Xbox help lot with whatever contract you sign. Also, almost sound like they could be afraid there next game not gonna be as great or big.

He was asked what people can do to support the studio right now, in March 2024. Obviously that means giving them more money today.

Exactly this.

The funny thing I'm taking away from this is I was DMing this guy on twitter asking if he could help me fix my broken HDR in Ori 2. He tried to help me but eventually he was like "I dunno pal" 🤷‍♂️

Now I'm finding out he's the fucking CEO lol I thought he was a lead engineer (maybe he was at the time? This was a couple of years back), I imagine him in really important meetings making decisions that affect a lot of people and this cunt here is messaging like "uhhhh how do I fix hdr???" 🤣

This is one of the great things about smaller teams and indie devs. Pretty funny that you stumped him and he acknowledged. Probably some edge case they don't think it's worth dedicating time and effort to resolving at this point.

From any angle, though, millions of people having access to your game is a positive for the game. As far as exposure, brand recognition, word-of-mouth.

Financially, which is the only thing he’s addressing, yeah you’re not selling individual units you’re just making a lump sum according to whatever agreement you made with Xbox.

That financial support really seems like the only way to address that question. Otherwise what does he say - pimp us out on Reddit? Both Ori games were huge successes, I don't think they need any help on the marketing front.

Doesn’t sound like he has any malice for MS. He’s just saying if you want to go out of your way to support the studio then buy the game directly.

It's a simple question and a simple response, but people like to make it more than it is. It's a slow news week/month and I'd guess a good portion of this forum is off playing one of the big 3 RPGs that recently hit.

DaGwaphics

End of the day, they made some kind of agreement with MS (either directly regarding GP or via the original publishing agreement). Moon studios accepted those terms and did benefit in some way. Makes the OP headline a straight up lie.

That financial support really seems like the only way to address that question. Otherwise what does he say - pimp us out on Reddit? Both Ori games were huge successes, I don't think they need any help on the marketing front.
They did make money from that transaction, though. It was quite transparent. Xbox gives you _____ amount of money, your game goes on Game Pass for _______ length of time. Sign here. Money is deposited into Moon's business account. Money they didn't have before, and money they wouldn't have gotten otherwise from Xbox-specific individual title sales. Not after that amount of time after the game had launched. It had run it's course.

They can look back on it a few years later and say "Yeah we won't do a Game Pass deal again for *reasons*", but it's not like they did it and got nothing in return. No doubt the money from the Game Pass deal has allowed them to bankroll some of the development on their next game.

Developer Moon Studios gained its popularity in the gaming industry by developing the games Ori and the Blind Forest in 2015 and Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 2020.Both games were developed in partnership with Xbox Game Studios and obviously for this reason, both are available right now to play via Xbox Game Pass.

However, according to Moon Studios' CEO on social media, Thomas Mahler Gennadiy, playing Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps via Xbox Game Pass doesn't help the studio, and he recommends that players buy their copies via Steam:

When asked "Why not on the Xbox store?", he replied

He also said Ori on PlayStation is up to Phil Spencer:

Ori is a game published by MS so the Ori devs aren't getting any additional payments for Gamepass plays. But they do for Steam purchases due to how their contract was put together.

Top Bottom