• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom and Jerry: Are we all in agreement that Jerry was the bad guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting from a different thread:
Hanna-Barbera can suck a bag of dicks.

Redeemable HB cartoons:

Huckleberry Hound
Quick Draw McGraw
Top Cat
Scooby-Doo (the original only)
Space Ghost (chiefly because of its resurrection by adultswim 40 years after its initial run)
Hong Kong Phooey

everything else ranged from meh to abomination.

For the record, I've always been a Tom proponent but my feelings towards the characters are overshadowed by my general disdain for the show. I disagree with the argument that the Wile E/Road Runner shorts were lacking in charm or were a cheap derivative of T&J; their slapstick humor was much closer to the insanity that the rest of the Looney Tunes IP's had, and the titular characters were fundamentally different than their HB counterparts. Wile E was a squirrel trying to get a nut, with a hint of Bugs in the inventiveness of his plans. Road Runner was a passive participant in their cat and mouse game whose perpetual expression revealed that he reveled in having fate, and the writers, on his side. Contrast this to Tom, who, while also occasionally hunting Jerry out of similar intentions to Wile E, was generally well provided for and didn't have to hunt his prey out of necessity like the coyote. Also contrast Jerry, who took a much more active hand in making his predators life miserable and oftentimes looked like he enjoyed his sadistic justice. All of this leads to (imo) more likeable characters in the Looney Tunes shorts, making them much more "watchable" to me.

I always rooted for Jerry, and I think my two older brothers did so too. It's the small mouse versus the evil cat, David vs. Goliath if you will.
Also some of the German versions had voice overs by Jerry in the beginning of the cartoon, which made you sympathize with Jerry. Is it the same in the original?
I don't think Jerry ever spoke a single word in the US cartoon until Blue Cat Blues, where he narrated the whole thing.

I've also always rooted for Tom. Never did get into any of copycat cartoons, though. They just never replicated Tom & Jerry's magic. There was a time, when I was really young, though, where I thought Tom & Jerry and Sylvester & Tweety shorts were the same thing. I just thought of the S&T ones as the bad episodes.

Ryck

This is probably as close as we will ever get to GAF universally agreeing on something. O_O

Almost makes me hate Jerry less.

Almost.

kess

For the record, I've always been a Tom proponent but my feelings towards the characters are overshadowed by my general disdain for the show.

Tom and Jerry is pretty much one big "Lucy and the football" gag without the charm, or wit.

Richie

NinjaBoiX

Tom was a constant source of disappointment to the old lady of the house.

"Taamus! You useless cat!"

*boots off the front step*

She was mean as fuck.

tmdorsey

Ummm, what's with all the Jerry hate? Sure there were episodes where he was just torturing Tom for no reason, but I also remember plenty going the other way where the episodes would start off with Tom messing with Jerry first.

Anyway, I love and rooted for them both at various times.

apFCJBd.png
at all these tom apologists. ~fck tom~ and his entitled ass. how dare.

kewlmyc

Does anyone remember that episode that was a parody of the Musketeers which ended with Tom getting killed/beheaded for failing his job in defending the house and Jerry and that other fuck just go "lol whatever we got food"

That episode fucked me over so bad and traumatized me

OH GOD YES.

The King pretty much tells Tom halfway through the episode "If you wake me up one more time, I will behead you." Jerry and his cousin hear this and actively try to wake up the king. Jerry is about to wake him and you see Tom weeping profoundly, begging Jerry not to wake the king. The little fucker does it and gets Tom killed while saying "lol oh well" and then heroic music plays.

Fuck that. Even as a 7 year old, I was watching it with my parents and told them that Jerry was evil.

Christine

I just hated Road Runner/Coyote cartoons in general. It's like they took the basic concept of Tom and Jerry, but sucked out every last bit of charm and watchability. I genuinely hope they both starved to death in the desert.

It's ok to not like Coyote and Roadrunner Cartoons
it isn't ok
but they're in no way based on the Tom / Jerry concept or dynamic.

The RRvC cartoons are unique because outside a few well-timed moments of raspberries, meeps, and running away, it's not a versus scenario. The Roadrunner is Coyote's objective, and the camera is on the Coyote near 100% of the time.

It's all physical humor, specifically humor involving physics and engineering. Here's just one of the Coyote's hilariously non-Newtonian propulsion methods. This only works because the universe itself hates the coyote and will change the laws of physics from moment to moment just to humiliate and abuse him.

My good GAFers, as a fellow supporter of Tom, here's a list of cartoons with favorable outcomes for him! I may have missed one or two, do tell (not counting anything but the classic Hanna-Barbera era):

The Million Dollar Cat (So very satisfying...)
The Vanishing Duck (Duckling haters, come here!)
Hic-Cup Pup
Mouse For Sale
Southbound Duckling (I have a feeling GAF's gonna love the hell out of this ending.)
Timid Tabby
Nit Witty Kitty
Little School Mouse
Life With Tom

Man I hope Tom murdered the hell out of those two in that Southbound Duckling ending.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
This just reminds me how great original Daffy was before they turned him into a foil for Bugs and drastically changed his character.

I like both styles of Daffy. I just wish they would have pivoted between both of them during the Freleng/Jones era.

Ogni-XR21

I don't think Jerry ever spoke a single word in the US cartoon until Blue Cat Blues, where he narrated the whole thing.

I've also always rooted for Tom. Never did get into any of copycat cartoons, though. They just never replicated Tom & Jerry's magic. There was a time, when I was really young, though, where I thought Tom & Jerry and Sylvester & Tweety shorts were the same thing. I just thought of the S&T ones as the bad episodes.

Here is a "German" cartoon. It's usually just a few lines at the very beginning. But usually it's something like "Tom wants to play a piano concert, but he will probably suck at it" just more nicely worded and in rhymes.

Jindrax

I dunno you know... I seem to remember Jerry just chillin, and Tom pulls something that angers Jerry. So Jerry goes HAM and takes Tom to school!!!

bunbun777

All I did was watch T & J cartoons along with Looney Tunes and Droopy, Woody Woodpecker and Flintstones as a little kid before the greats of GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man and Superfriends and Jerry was not the "bad guy". Sure some of the episodes favored that a bit but most of the time? Tom was the asshole that didn't just want to eat him but wanted to be cruel and usually attempted to also humiliate Jerry.

dog$

Hates quality gaming

Hanna-Barbera can suck a bag of dicks.

I have no idea how you can simultaneously say that about everything else except the series that you listed. Each and every one of those series are an order of magnitude in lower quality to their WW2 era content. Their original T&J and Droopy works stand as fine art when compared to the likes of anything with Scooby Doo in the title.

50s Peanut Gang Saturday Morning Cartoons is the precise point where H&B hung itself on a noose of infinite neckties and collars.

jaypah

Ummm, what's with all the Jerry hate? Sure there were episodes where he was just torturing Tom for no reason, but I also remember plenty going the other way where the episodes would start off with Tom messing with Jerry first.

Anyway, I love and rooted for them both at various times.

He ain't supposed to be in the house. He ain't chippin in. He ain't helping out. He's putting holes in the walls and mousing up their food. He gotta get the fuck.

Also, I hated when Tom would have Jerry in his hands and decide to try some dumb grandiose shit. JUST EAT HIM OH MY GOD HE'S IN YOUR FUCKING HAND JUST BITE HIS FACE OFF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom