• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP: I'm thinking of jumping in and buying one. Recommend me some games.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Some more MH love here!

edit: and ill chime in on Wild Arms XF, it is indeed very good.

76676775032.jpg

76676775038.jpg

76676775039.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Durante said:

ahhh THANK YOU. been trying to remember which mod played this game extensively. so it was shouta. and i wouldn't trust RPGFan a lot with their reviews, they tend to give a lot of games higher ratings than they deserve (when they hand a "7" it means "AVOID AT ALL COST")

spindoc said:
Some more MH love here!

edit: and ill chime in on Wild Arms XF, it is indeed very good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/spindoctor/76676775032.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/spindoctor/76676775038.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v70/spindoctor/76676775039.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

whoa, great shots! bests mine :lol

Kuran

Banned
Lets get some RTS up in this bitch!

R-Type Command
Enthralling.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Wild Arms XF
Stupendous.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Jeanne D'Arc
All-encompassing.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Oh and Monster Hunter!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kuran said:
Lets get some RTS up in this bitch!

R-Type Command
Enthralling.

Wild Arms XF
Stupendous.

Jeanne D'Arc
All-encompassing.

Oh and Monster Hunter!

ok i need some postmortem impressions of R-type command STAT.

Shit, man. The monster hunter love has got to stop. You people are tempting me... i have 2 gazillion other games i want to play, games i probably will never get to if i pick mh back up again... The game should receive a distinction for "most awesome time sink ever" or some such.

I'll give in to peer pressure and get wild arms xf. R-type command looks cool too, i had forgotten about it. How does it play?

Kuran

Banned
Jinfash said:
ok i need some postmortem impressions of R-type command STAT.

From developers?

I finished the game a week ago, and I think its a hidden and underappreciated gem. It needs some more love.

I got the soundtrack too, its good stuff!

Paging chespace!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kuran said:
From developers?

I finished the game a week ago, and I think its a hidden and underappreciated gem. It needs some more love.

I got the soundtrack too, its good stuff!

Paging chespace!

no from gaffers obviously :p so thanks for good (albeit short) impressions

oh and this

Durante said:
Very nice post, except for the fact that none of those are RTS :lol

:lol didn't notice that.

Kuran

Banned
Durante said:
Very nice post, except for the fact that none of those are RTS :lol

Yes yes, TBS, I realized! Except I have no time because I'm expected in a Monster Hunter game! :)

Fistwell said:
Shit, man. The monster hunter love has got to stop. You people are tempting me... i have 2 gazillion other games i want to play, games i probably will never get to if i pick mh back up again... The game should receive a distinction for "most awesome time sink ever" or some such.

I'll give in to peer pressure and get wild arms xf. R-type command looks cool too, i had forgotten about it. How does it play?

R-Type Command plays like Advance Wars in space.. its a very relaxed turn based strategy game with a lot of depth.

You need some more Monster Hunter love?

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Kuran said:
You need some more Monster Hunter love?
THIS STOP NEEDSA TO SHIT!!!!!
nice pics

Edit: pics 1 and 3 are from sea of trees or something, right? That map is so pretty... it's sickening.

herod said:
how does MHF2 play for the resolute single player?
Plays like an ungodly obsession, if you let it suck you in. I haven't once played mp, been sp only. It was a lot of fun. From all other accounts, mp is better, but solo kept me entertained for a long, long time.

Kuran

Banned
Fistwell said:
THIS STOP NEEDSA TO SHIT!!!!!
nice pics

Edit: pics 1 and 3 are from sea of trees or something, right? That map is so pretty... it's sickening.

Its even nicer in motion, especially with the incredible ambient sounds..

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
herod said:
how does MHF2 play for the resolute single player?

i never played MP too, game is still unbelievable. though i'm sure it's gonna get x10 awesomer in MP with 4 players.

herod said:
Warning: combat can feel awkward at first. Also, the game isn't afraid to kick the player's ass. Nor does it have the decency of apologizing when that happens. The camera initially feels wonky as shit. Development of a mh-claw (TM) is necessary. Fixes most camera related issues. Tending your little farm can get tedious.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Jinfash said:
if i were to buy a PSP (i already own one though) i'd get:

<List of the best PSP games>
Listen to this man, he knows what hes talking about. Great game selection.

herod

Fistwell said:
Warning: combat can feel awkward at first. Also, the game isn't afraid to kick the player's ass. Nor does it have the decency of apologizing when that happens. The camera initially feels wonky as shit. Development of a mh-claw (TM) is necessary. Fixes most camera related issues. Tending your little farm can get tedious.
ok

I'm a WoW veteran, if that helps. Nothing is too tedious for me, not even collecting 893 stacks of Runecloth.

For me PSP is fun for less third person, more puzzle/original stuff. Like:

Space Invaders Extreme

Patapon

Loco Roco

Downstream Panic!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
eznark said:
where the hell is dog$
I was at CDL class, I can't be tethered here 24/7 :( But! I'm very pleased to see that someone else has actually taken the time to find a previous post of mine and put it in. Anyone can do that! I'm really not the only one who has to maintain these lists, honest! Just find this thread and post the results where applicable - it works every time!
Jinfash said:
oh that is sooo GameFAQs-eque of you :/
No, being GameFAQs-esque would be to just make a new thread without searching for the hundreds of prior threads.

herod said:
ok

I'm a WoW veteran, if that helps. Nothing is too tedious for me, not even collecting 893 stacks of Runecloth.
Oh, man. You'll feel right at home. MH does have an mmo-ish vibe to itself.

Kryten

Capcom, please be bringing the additional content for Monster Hunter 2 to the West . PLEASE!!!!

That said, has anyone had a look at the Japanese version, and how wildly unplayable is it compared to the English version?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
hey when does phantasy star world come out again?

Kryten said:
That said, has anyone had a look at the Japanese version, and how wildly unplayable is it compared to the English version?
Yes i have. It is playable. It does make things more difficult though. Some of the more arcane sides of the game can become aggravating, like skills and "what monster drops do i need to craft this piece of equipment, and what monster does drop this monster drop and with what kind of probability in which mission etc."
But it still remains very playable. There are translations that can be found online. There was also a language patch that was being worked on. Not sure what happened with that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
oh btw OP, i've excluded some games because you said yourself "i'm not into them", but they're so GREAT, they deserve a mention:

God of War: Chains of Olympus

938607_85521.jpg

(though very short game)

TEKKEN: DR

932102_73734.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
932978_75511.jpg

one final note:

LOCO ROCO
930044_74247.jpg

a lot of posters have mentioned it. great game, cool concept, happy and lots of fun! JUST DON'T BUY! play the demo, and you've played the game.

dog$ said:
No, being GameFAQs-esque would be to just make a new thread without searching for the hundreds of prior threads.

OP you just got ZINGed!! :lol

lopaz

Banned
Virtua Tennis, Megaman Maverick Hunter X, Wipeout are pretty good, and Killzone:Liberation rules.

Some people like MGS:pO but I thought it was terrible, same with syphon filter. I just don't think the PSP controls work with those games.

soldat7

Jinfash said:
LOCO ROCO
930044_74247.jpg

a lot of posters have mentioned it. great game, cool concept, happy and lots of fun! JUST DON'T BUY! play the demo, and you've played the game.

Wait, if you've only played the LocoRoco demo then you most certainly have NOT played the game. The demo is just a taste; the game is constantly mixing things up and throwing new stuff your way.

The demo is not the full experience by any stretch of the imagination.

Rayven

aka surume
Jinfash said:
oh that is sooo GameFAQs-eque of you :/
Kinda the opposite. The search function works fine here, people need to be reminded.
As long as I'm in here, though: try the Cave Story port and pick up Ghost n Goblins, Gradius, and Parodius.

Jinfash said:
one final note:

LOCO ROCO
930044_74247.jpg

a lot of posters have mentioned it. great game, cool concept, happy and lots of fun! JUST DO BUY! play the demo, and you'll be uncontrollably compelled to get the whole game.

fixed!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ok then i'll speak for myself people: i really enjoyed the DEMO of LocoRoco more than the full game. and no, the DEMO didn't just give you a taste of the game, it GAVE you the entire game. there were no "abilities" or "skills" to be gained, you just get more colors of you LocoRoco that doesn't change the gameplay one bit.

the full game doesn't offer anything new in the level design too. you just get more variations of the demo stage (with different colors) that sometimes feel like it was randomized. the gameplay grew old after a couple of levels, i felt less motivated to collect any collectibles, what's the use? more items in that "level editor" mode? thanks, but no thanks.

i can sum up my complaint like this: the devs didn't hold anything from the demo for the full game, that is my personal opinion. i think a lot of gaffers share the same sentiment towards the game, look up the official thread and u'll understand what i mean. (also you should totally hear Amir0x's opinion, it's somewhat similar, but more aggressive :lol)

HeartAttackJones said:
Kinda the opposite. The search function works fine here, people need to be reminded.

it felt kinda cold though :p , reminded me of those lurking in GameFAQs ready to post "USE TEH SEARCH"... some of those threads are really old, and good games have been released since. a bump to one of those will only make him look stupid. it's like LTTP threads, you're allowed to do one for a game every once in a while (even if some has been created previously) :p

(btw half of that list isn't even discussing games)

Jinfash said:

The gameplay never changes much but there are levels that focus on different things and mix it up nicely. For example, one level will focus on being suctioned and rolling upside down, another one will be all about Sonic speed. It's worth the now-less-than-$19.99-pricetag.

Especially since it's so original.

Buy it TC!

batbeg

Jinfash said:
one final note:

LOCO ROCO
930044_74247.jpg

Oh hell no. The game is fantastic and if people find they like the demos, they should buy the whole game. I'm still working on 100%ing it, and have yet to become bored with it, even though I bought it day one.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
batbeg said:
Oh hell no. The game is fantastic and if people find they like the demos, they should buy the whole game. I'm still working on 100%ing it, and have yet to become bored with it, even though I bought it day one.

will one of the defenders PLEASE tell me what's so special about the full game? WORDS please!

batbeg

Jinfash said:
will one of the defenders PLEASE tell me what's so special about the full game? WORDS please!

Well, as I specifically said "if they like the demos", but if you insist... :p I just really enjoy the challenge of exploring the levels, of manipulating the games simple controls in new ways to find areas you otherwise couldn't. Then once you complete the exploration and collect everything in a level you are given a time challenge, some of which are difficult. If you like the demos, and you feel compelled to find everything, then the full game is absolutely worth it, as there's so much you can do in it so long as you enjoy the main game. Hell, the music and style alone feel worth it to me.

Also, golf is awesome, and I really wish they'd made more than one level :(

I just bought a PSP friday evening and am looking for some game recommendations. Any good RPG's? (not JRPG's please)

I am enjoying the wifi functions though, it was a lifesaver when I had to chill at sky harbor airport for a few hours.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
batbeg said:
Well, as I specifically said "if they like the demos", but if you insist... :p I just really enjoy the challenge of exploring the levels, of manipulating the games simple controls in new ways to find areas you otherwise couldn't. Then once you complete the exploration and collect everything in a level you are given a time challenge, some of which are difficult. If you like the demos, and you feel compelled to find everything, then the full game is absolutely worth it, as there's so much you can do in it so long as you enjoy the main game. Hell, the music and style alone feel worth it to me.

Also, golf is awesome, and I really wish they'd made more than one level :(

ok, but i still think the full game is a REPETITION of the Demo, same ol' same o'l, wash rinse repeat.

batbeg said:
Hell, the music and style alone feel worth it to me.

that's why we have something called "Patapon"!!
innovation... check
charm... check
cuteness... check
music... check
style... check
depth... check
fun factor... double check
variety... check and check

EDIT: ironed some weird engrish that was going on:lol

I'm just going to list all my games and tell you to buy all of them:

Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X