• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-STALKER devs want to kickstart its "definitive spiritual successor", named Areal

Leb

Wow. People are still actually giving them money on their website?

Or is it possible that it's set up to seem like people are giving money? I really hope nobody is actually giving any.

There's no trusted third party here, so they could be (and most likely are) simply pulling those numbers out of their asses.

Wow. People are still actually giving them money on their website?

Or is it possible that it's set up to seem like people are giving money? I really hope nobody is actually giving any.
There's really no need to worry about it any longer. It's just impossible to feel any sympathy for those who would willingly give money to these people at this point. If they exist, all hope is lost with them.

hmmm...right about that counter. but whats to stop the same two ppl who donated over 10k in a couple days from sabotaging this again? that blue scaly wolf thing is growing on me lol. if they lose their money, then they should sue. if they make areal areal game then it will be a revelation.

hmmm...right about that counter. but whats to stop the same two ppl who donated over 10k in a couple days from sabotaging this again? that blue scaly wolf thing is growing on me lol. if they lose their money, then they should sue. if they make areal areal game then it will be a revelation.
There wouldn't be much point in pledging a large amount with the intent to pull out last minute, because there is no last minute, no deadline. There's no nothing really. You'd just hassle yourself having to get Paypal to refund the transaction. Oh yeah and you'd also need to actually have the money and actually send it, since this is a direct transaction. Hm, wonder who the recipient is...

If the kickstarter was suspended because it was found West Games were responsible for the large donations, then the answer would be; Nothing. There's nothing stopping them from sabotaging this again. Although you could argue how much is left to be done in that area.

:D
You could argue that someone set up a fake account during the campaign as a joke, but you would have to ignore the bit where it says "Joined Sep 2013"
So yeah, this appears to prove Eugene Kim pledged to his own project. How much is unknown, but one could wager a guess.
I say "appears to" because there's no identity verification, but really, what are the odds that this is not actually his account?

1. You're assuming the 10k donors were some sort of troll sabotage effort instead of the devs donating to themselves to get their flailing project over the funding goal so they'd get the money.
2. I don't see anything about getting a refund if their self-run funding campaign doesn't hit the goal. They're going to keep the money regardless. How would you "sabotage" their own campaign? Try to donate fishy amounts to get their paypal locked down?

hmm. yeah well this situation reeks of incompetence and unprofessionalism. its one thing to accuse others of misiformation yet it becomes something else altogether when said party is caught with their paws in the cookie jar that is kickstarter.

Leb

If people are still interested in the gift that keeps on giving, it appears that WG is giving the East and West two very different accounts of what happened...

Here's what they're telling English-speakers:

People also need to take into account that Ukrainians and Russians are in an information war right now, and as a Ukrainian developer, we were subject to constant hostility from Russian Kickstarter accounts (we even got death threats).

And here's what they're telling Russian-speakers:

Мы вышли на американскую площадку краудфандинга Кикстартер и рассказали, что мы разработчики игры S.T.A.L.K.E.R., но нам американцы не поверили и время ушло на доказательства... Для нас была большая неожиданность, что игроки именно из России нас сейчас массово поддерживают. ...

which roughly translates to:

We brought our project to the U.S.-based crowdfunding platform Kickstarter and told everyone that we were the original developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R but the Americans did not believe us and we wasted a lot of time trying to prove ourselves... It has come as a huge surprise to us that it is now the Russians who are supporting us the most.

repeater

I had completely missed out on this piece of news and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Eurogamer just posted an article called "Dodgy crowdfunding project Areal returns as Stalker Apocalypse".

[...] West-Games is back, and wants your money all over again. But not for Areal: for Stalker Apocalypse.

It's more or less the same thing - a modified take on the Areal idea. It's a neater pitch and the crowdfunding goal of $600,000 makes much more sense. It's not on Kickstarter, for obvious reasons, but World Wide Funder - a site I've not come across before.

"We were formerly developing a game called Areal," wrote West-Games, "but after raising funds on our website and listening to our fans, we decided to re-focus our vision, and develop what is now Stalker Apocalypse (trademarked)."

[...] Broadly the game ideas are similar, with more emphasis on story. Plans for a bespoke game engine have been dropped in favour of using Unreal Engine 4, sensibly, and the idea is to release Stalker Apocalypse on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2016.

Can't wait to hear if Putin will get involved with this new game.

I had completely missed out on this piece of news and I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Eurogamer just posted an article called "Dodgy crowdfunding project Areal returns as Stalker Apocalypse".

Can't wait to hear if Putin will get involved with this new game.

It makes it all seem even worse. In a few months they've supposedly completely abandoned the previous game they worked on for quite a while and have now changed it to a different game, despite taking money for Areal. Either that or they've simply renamed Areal. Once again they are trying to use the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series to get them funding instead of showing they actually know what they are doing or are even capable of making a game.

PnCIa

I am sure they will find some idiot to give them money. Using the name of a well known series, but noooot really using it because some . are lacking? Check!

BPoole

I have an irrational hatred for these people. They made me incredibly hesitant about support anything from Kickstarter.

ij4kYLL.png

This must be a zone anomaly.

I wouldn't be surprised if they created the World Wide Funder site to try to make it seem more legitimate, but if you spend a couple minutes looking around the site, it looks even more like a scam. Not only is the layout straight up lifted from Kickstarter, but most of the projects are based in the Ukraine, none of them are anywhere close to reaching a goal, and they're all ridiculous propositions.

And, well, there's this from the FAQ:

What if I don't reach my funding goal?

Don't worry, it's not the end of the world! You still get to keep whatever funds that you raise, which is in stark contrast to other crowd-funding platforms. On WFUNDER, project creators get to keep whatever funds that they raise.

Once you make a pledge, you cannot cancel or lower your pledge, but you can increase your pledge. The reason we do this is because we feel that making a pledge to a crowd-funding project should be considered as a serious commitment, and not a split second decision. We want to provide an environment where both project creators and backers can have a secure and positive environment.

At this point it's just kinda sad.

I had forgotten about this whole situation. Funny that the game is called Stalker instead of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like the real games. Here's what they had to say about that:

Q. Do you have the rights to use the STALKER name?
A. We have registered a trademark for Stalker Apocalypse, and have every right to use it as our title. Stalker by itself is a common word, and anyone can use it.

soultron

Banned
A shitty pitch video with concept art (easily had, can contract/outsource) and maybe 1 static UE4 scene in it? They have nothing yet.

I hope nobody falls for this or a 2016 release date on 3 platforms with such as a small team and small budget.

Not happening.

Yes, Stalker is a common word. Screws are common objects. So sure, putting a screw between each letter in the word Stalker for your logo is totally acceptable...

MattyG

Banned
So their first STALKER scam failed, so they decided that it would be a good idea to use STALKER for their next scam too? Do they think people won't be suspicious?

This pisses me off, because I REALLY want STALKER 2.

I googled a bit and yes, it looks like they did.

Here's the first mention of the site, check the guy's name
http://pikabu.ru/story/vzaimovyiruchka_2689710

http://west-games.com/author/fekkolper/
https://vk.com/wall132936850_1861

This is exactly what I expected when I went to the main page of that site. It was suspicious how this game was the only thing being featured in the big slideshow, while the other 2 are stock pictures with no description.

Sentenza

This pisses me off, because I REALLY want STALKER 2.
I'm with you. The most infuriating part of this travesty is that I would actually be all over a genuine attempt to recreate a STALKER-like from competent developers.

Hell, that's almost an understatement. It could easily be one of my most anticipated projects in years.

Rivitur

Banned
I can't believe they are still trying this shit. If anyone is going to make a s.t.a.l.k.e.r spiritual successor I hope for it to be the guys @ 4A since they have people who worked on it. But these sleazy people just don't give up.

Darker

Banned
I'm with you. The most infuriating part of this travesty is that I would actually be all over a genuine attempt to recreate a STALKER-like from competent developers.

Hell, that's almost an understatement. It could easily be one of my most anticipated projects in years.

We could buy the rights.

I'm not joking.

They're owned by that one bloke, whatshisname. Everyone on Gaf pitches in ten dollars. We buy the IP and create a remaster of the original three games to cover our costs. We then take weekly democratic votes on what to do with the franchise.

'Gaf owns an IP'.

Think about it.

okiemok

This morning they had a few questions on the "Ask ME Anything" Page. Now those (embarrassing) questions are cloaked.

It is obvious that they went back to the drawing board and decided the problem was they did not control the reactions of Kickstarter and Reddit, ....So they changed those conditions and now control the crowdfunding vehicle and messaging forum.

LePie

"We have registered a trademark for Stalker Apocalypse, and have every right to use it as our title. Stalker by itself is a common word, and anyone can use it."

Yeah, how would anyone mistake Stalker for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?
-GyM9vsfYOYn.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

LePie

I wouldn't be surprised if they created the World Wide Funder site to try to make it seem more legitimate, but if you spend a couple minutes looking around the site, it looks even more like a scam. Not only is the layout straight up lifted from Kickstarter, but most of the projects are based in the Ukraine, none of them are anywhere close to reaching a goal, and they're all ridiculous propositions.

And, well, there's this from the FAQ:

[...]

At this point it's just kinda sad.
They edited their faq and deleted the second paragraph. Also (exactly) this page can't be crawled:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://wfunder.com/faq

We could buy the rights.

I'm not joking.

They're owned by that one bloke, whatshisname. Everyone on Gaf pitches in ten dollars. We buy the IP and create a remaster of the original three games to cover our costs. We then take weekly democratic votes on what to do with the franchise.

'Gaf owns an IP'.

Think about it.

*shivers*

Denton

We could buy the rights.

I'm not joking.

'Gaf owns an IP'.

Think about it.

Grigorovich would never sell. The Vostok guys tried to get IP to continue STALKER 2 development, no success.

As much as I despise him for cancelling the game and disbanding the studio, I do wish he would sue these clowns into oblivion. Pissing all over STALKER's legacy.

okiemok

This is really sad. Obviously, someone over there has realized that there are suckers out there that drool just over the mention of a game remake/update. Guess they figured it was free money.

Hate to think what will happen once they have your CC....

Oh man.
We hope their project is successful, despite the controversy that they've stirred, and we think that people should lighten up on them a little. They look like a passionate team of people who want to make a spectacular game.
"We're not affiliated with those guys, but they sure are spectacularly handsome and cool and not fat at all and you should stop saying bad things about u..them and we hope they'll make $600k."

These guys! :D

Top Bottom