• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Vita Experience

I've been in the market for a Vita for a few weeks now. This has been a recent development honestly, mostly because I want to game more on my ps4 but can rarely play because the tv is being used by other members of the family. With so many good ps4 games on the horizon, I don't want to buy them and have them sit around waiting for the odd moment to play.

Anyway, I thought finding a Vita was going to be easy. I looked online and found a few but the prices weren't what I was looking for. I went to my local Target and they had nothing. My local gamestop had a used OLED version on sale but the screen had a huge scratch on it..and nothing else. The salesperson said maybe they would get a few in late August.

I went online again to see what stock was available at gamestops around the large metropolitan city I live in. Only 2 stores had them in stock, but that stock was really low. I quickly put one on hold and picked up my brand new Vita last night. While paying, the store the manager of the GameStop (fantastic person/salesman/experience btw) said this was the first Vita they had in stock in a very long time. They had gotten several phone calls that day asking for my Vita for themselves. He said the demand for Vita has exploded as of late and Sony can't seem to get them stock quick enough. 9000 units were sent out recently to the 4000 GameStop stores, giving only 2 to sell, and they aren't on the shelf for long.

So why is the Vita suddenly in such demand? Am I the typical customer where the portable is now an attractive buy due to next-gen meets convenience? Or maybe Sony has pulled back on production and is creating the short supply themselves?

phen0m24

Craig. (or anyone looking: for future reference)

Go to Nowinstock.net.

Create an account.

Set up an email alert for Vita Borderlands 2 bundle.

Dishes are done.

Seriously, I set one up as my son wanted a 2000 for his birthday, and I've been getting 2 or 3 emails a day everytime they come in stock at Amazon, BestBuy, Walmart, Gamestop, whatever.

Fastest way I've found to find one at MSRP. You'll be done looking in (approx.) 24 hours.

Happy hunting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BL2 bundle showed back up online a bunch of places last week, including BestBuy.com.

Gamestop also had it on its online portal the entire time...at a marked up price. I think its back to normal now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is the Vita really in too much demand, or has Sony quietly started discontinuing it outside of Japan/Asia?

Option C: Retailers were burned by stocking the thing and keep their reorders small/don't reorder the thing when it sells out because they don't care.

Fdkn

You can buy Vitas in Europe with no problem, they are not setting the world on fire but they are available and even I see people buying them sometimes while I'm on a store

SCEA hates Vita though

SerTapTap

SCEA is hilariously incompetent and ordered far too few Vita 2000 bundles, and no non-bundle Vita 2000s. Vita 2000 turned out to be quite popular, compared to base Vita demand. Ta daaaa.

It's a great console, but the current out-of-stock situation is mostly because SCEA dropped the ball hardcore more than anything else. Demand is certainly above flatline, but supply is currently the limiting factor not excessive demand (e.g. this isn't a first 4 months of PS4 release situation).

SmokyDave

Is the Vita really in too much demand, or has Sony quietly started discontinuing it outside of Japan/Asia?
Well....

. They had gotten several phone calls that day asking for my Vita for themselves. He said the demand for Vita has exploded as of late and Sony can't seem to get them stock quick enough. 9000 units were sent out recently to the 4000 GameStop stores, giving only 2 to sell, and they aren't on the shelf for long.

I believe there is a thirst-related hashtag for this situation.

sjay1994

I've been in the market for a Vita for a few weeks now. This has been a recent development honestly, mostly because I want to game more on my ps4 but can rarely play because the tv is being used by other members of the family. With so many good ps4 games on the horizon, I don't want to buy them and have them sit around waiting for the odd moment to play.

Anyway, I thought finding a Vita was going to be easy. I looked online and found a few but the prices weren't what I was looking for. I went to my local Target and they had nothing. My local gamestop had a used OLED version on sale but the screen had a huge scratch on it..and nothing else. The salesperson said maybe they would get a few in late August.

I went online again to see what stock was available at gamestops around the large metropolitan city I live in. Only 2 stores had them in stock, but that stock was really low. I quickly put one on hold and picked up my brand new Vita last night. While paying, the store the manager of the GameStop (fantastic person/salesman/experience btw) said this was the first Vita they had in stock in a very long time. They had gotten several phone calls that day asking for my Vita for themselves. He said the demand for Vita has exploded as of late and Sony can't seem to get them stock quick enough. 9000 units were sent out recently to the 4000 GameStop stores, giving only 2 to sell, and they aren't on the shelf for long.

So why is the Vita suddenly in such demand? Am I the typical customer where the portable is now an attractive buy due to next-gen meets convenience? Or maybe Sony has pulled back on production and is creating the short supply themselves?

People are choosing life. Not unexpected.

@Wreck

Option C: Retailers were burned by stocking the thing and keep their reorders small/don't reorder the thing when it sells out because they don't care.

I feel like it was this + sony may have wined down the production to produce smaller amounts because slow adoption

I'm in the market so I can remotely play Destiny and Diablo 3.

Having a baby in January so I need to be flexible ;)

same reason for me too parenthood approaching (hopefully)

As a parent who really only games on the TV 2 nights a week I can say you are making a good decision. I use my vita almost every other night. Not just for remote play either (which works great for a lot of games).

The US shortages seem to be caused from a mix of things. Firstly shops were not bothered by it as it wasn't a big seller. They were kinda trying to sell off the 1000 series for when the 2000 came out.

Then the 2000 model with borderlands bundle arrived and sold something like 54,000 copies. Which was basically all if them. I don't think any one expected this to happen so everyone is now playing catch up.

Vita's actual demand prob hasn't raised to much overall but a mix of people waiting for the borderlands bundle and ps4 being out long enough that more people are interested in remote play spiked sales more than expected.

That's my take on it anyway.

So happy to see Vita demand on the rise. I was heartbroken when mine got stolen when my house got robbed. Thankfully the gamestop near me had a used OLED one in almost pristine condition.

Gundy2010

BD2 slim bundle is truly a great deal compare to OG VITA. It comes with a full price retail game, as well as a 8G SD card so you don't have to buy them seperately. Condisering 3DS XL alone is $200.00 bucks, VITA slim is totally worth it especially if you own a PS3/4 with PS+ subscription

looking to snag one from cowboom...would you guys recommend 1000 or 2000? i know 1000 has OLED, but what is better on 2000?

It's a little thinner, the start and select buttons are easier to hit, and uses micro-USB instead of a proprietary connector. But that doesn't make up for the awesome OLED screen

SCEA really just gives no fucks about Vita. They undersupplied retailers with stock and haven't been able to catch up since the Vita 2000 launched.

OP, buy a grip for Vita. You can thank me later.

I find the Vita Slim to be very ergonomic on its own. Does it really need grip?

You missed your shot. I tried warning people, but they just didn't listen.

They didn't listen.

n9QqC.jpg

SerTapTap

What do you guys recommend for grips?

Nyoko Power Grip is great. Keeps your hands off the back touch in resting position, ads, well, grips, doubles battery life via it's own battery. Only annoying when I need to play Monster Monpiece games that use the touchscreen heavily or plug it in to a PC for Content Manager, in those cases I just pop off the grip, comes off easy.

SerTapTap

IIRC, the last few NPDs look like:

March: 3k
May: 56k
June: 14k

So... not really. May was when the 2k hit.

There are barely any damn units to buy since may. I was going to buy a vita 2000 to try it out/less wear on Dat OLED but I can't get one that's not refurbed or imported to this day (online).

Pretty torn on which version to get. If I buy a 1000, I need to buy a memory card for ps+ right? Same for 2000 unless I grab a BL2 box from amazon?

SerTapTap

Destiny. Seriously destiny remote play is amazing.

Remote play is pretty sweet. Depends on network conditions, but I was checking Velocity 2X (shmup), it's perfect with a good connection. And I can ACTUALLY take it to the bathroom and keep playing, unlike the gamepad which cuts out. Not that I have tried this multiple times or anything.

I agree, the first time you feared the control configuration. I was worried I would need to use the back panel to aim and to fire. I hope developers consider the Vita when developing PS4 games.

This is the only problem with it (and the potential of games straight up having too many buttons and no way to work it right). Child of Light uses the Vita perfectly, but many games don't do a great job of setting up defaults (ie, they don't change them at all and thus you need backtouch for triggers). Hope Sony nags devs a bit in certification to get controls right.

Pretty torn on which version to get. If I buy a 1000, I need to buy a memory card for ps+ right? Same for 2000 unless I grab a BL2 box from amazon?

Memory card is basically a requirement, but it should be easy enough to find a bundle with one. And occasionally they're on heavy discount on Amazon and go for about the price they SHOULD have been all along.

Top Bottom