• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch: Changes To Audio In VODS

Fraser of FFSTV posted a vlog about the dodgy position he's in because of this news and a sponsorship deal he was in the middle of negotiating. The actual stream that was planned was one he wanted to do, but this whole situation about Twitch gives him seconds thoughts on what to do now. It seems he might do the stream while rejecting the deal, it's all up in the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXDNJLGfXkw

EDIT: Beaten.

But Google purchasing them will change nothing, Gaf told me.

Pretty sure this happens without Google, Twitch does an nutso amount of traffic and eventually the music industry lawyers were going to go ham on them, Google or not.

I think there's a serious belief within Twitch that thinks they are protecting their broadcasters from those same lawyers with this technology, but that's not what the broadcasters wanted. The broadcasters wanted Twitch to respond to those claims with fair use arguments - and maybe even a court battle - instead.

Pretty sure this happens without Google, Twitch does an nutso amount of traffic and eventually the music industry lawyers were going to go ham on them, Google or not.

I think there's a serious belief within Twitch that thinks they are protecting their broadcasters from those same lawyers with this technology, but that's not what the broadcasters wanted. The broadcasters wanted Twitch to respond to those claims with fair use arguments - and maybe even a court battle - instead.
there was never going to be a big court battle but it would have been fun to watch

jabuseika

It's in 30 minute chunks because Audible Magic charges per transaction and maximum content check length is 30m:

https://www.audiblemagic.com/copyright-compliance-pricing/

Wait, I thought Twitch implemented it in 30mins intervals because they save video files on their servers in 30mins chunks, for better stability.

They made the change to how they save video files months ago, with the revamp of their video streaming system, which included the video delay everyone complained about.

Coincidence?

DSix

Banned
riptwitch.jpg

What an absurd situation... Time to switch to hitbox.

If I hold a house party and decide to charge a $5 entry fee, that doesn't mean anything copywritten in that party (music, games, sport broadcasts, videos, whatever) gets to be removed from it at the discretion of the copyright holder.
Well, that may technically be public performance (even in a private residence, and your example does have you making money), but even so in the Twitch case it would only occur if you had recorded the entire house party and were allowing it to be viewed by anyone. And only that recording would be affected, not the party.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If I hold a house party and decide to charge a $5 entry fee, that doesn't mean anything copywritten in that party (music, games, sport broadcasts, videos, whatever) gets to be removed from it at the discretion of the copyright holder.

Doesn't it?

Xerotwo

I'm pretty sure someone's going to make a twitch channel that has them playing a game while playing Sandstorm (and ONLY that song) for the whole stream session.

Fraser from Video Games Awesome made a vlog about this whole thing. He's been talking to twitch people all day on the phone so it might be an interesting watch.

It's also a bit ranty since he was just offered a pretty cool sponsorship deal with Twitch, and now he's not sure what to do since he's obviously against this content ID stuff. He kinda wants to go ahead with it, but he doesn't want to be seen like he fully supports Twitch either.

So he's going to do the stream anyway. This is the thing. Unless people took a real stand here, they're not going to change shit. It's silly that someone doesn't take on these publishers in court and settle fair use standards once and for all.

Fraser of FFSTV posted a vlog about the dodgy position he's in because of this news and a sponsorship deal he was in the middle of negotiating. The actual stream that was planned was one he wanted to do, but this whole situation about Twitch gives him seconds thoughts on what to do now. It seems he might do the stream while rejecting the deal, it's all up in the air.

EDIT: Beaten.
This is a great blog explaining the situation. Fraser's good people.

BTW he's going through with the stream.

WOW. This is some straight up bull shit. I just streamed TLOU multiplayer all night. I go to look at my past broadcast. I have TWO instances of muting because of copyrighted sound. WTF!? I literally streamed the game with no external mic, only game audio.

http://www.twitch.tv/subtervotion/b/555350422

Sorry, but you were streaming unauthorized music from a video game on a website dedicated to streaming video games. Please understand.

Corporate executives need to eat too.

Sorry, but you were streaming unauthorized music from a video game on a website dedicated to streaming video games. Please understand.

Corporate executives need to eat too.

Its like what song is even playing in TLOU that needs to be copyright protected? The lobby song? What the hell!?

EDIT: I just looked. Out of 9 hours of streaming today, my last 3 past broadcasts have a total of 7 instances that are muted. Thats 3 and a half hours of my streams muted for no reason what so ever. Thats more than a third. RANT!

Its like what song is even playing in TLOU that needs to be copyright protected? The lobby song? What the hell!?

It's just like the youtube copywright strike issues - all kinds of incidental audio, sound effects, and background music that is "copyrighted" by whatever institution that created it and licensed it to naughty dog.

Here's what I wonder about - why don't videogame publishers have some workaround where when they license all the sound they license the right to stream it on behalf of their customers?

It can't be that hard for some lawyers to draw up.

Soup Bar

I thought they were only going to go after licensed music, but it sounds like they are going after every song ever made instead. Really they shouldn't go after any song if it's in the game they are streaming. This isn't going to end well.

Valkrai

While I hate that this is on twitch, it was accurate (for me). I did a few streams with music and it did mute those areas. It seems to be a different story for each caster but I thought it was gonna mute almost all of my streams. Seems to be overreaction as always.

I thought they were only going to go after licensed music, but it sounds like they are going after every song ever made instead. Really they shouldn't go after any song if it's in the game they are streaming. This isn't going to end well.

music, sound effects, maybe even voices could be "copywrighted" and flagged.

a long enough sound effect from some copyrighted sound library could probably trigger a half hour flag.

Nanashrew

Banned
music, sound effects, maybe even voices could be "copywrighted" and flagged.

a long enough sound effect from some copyrighted sound library could probably trigger a half hour flag.

It just has to match the algorithm. Some TLOU videos have sporadic muted areas in scenes or portions where there is no music, just sound effects, the ambiance of the world and dialogue.

G-Fex

HA! Good one Cosmo!
It's not fully implemented to LIVE broadcasting, yet.

It seems that's where this direction is going.

Well, I guess the overreactions before are really warranted now.
Looks like Curse of the NecroDancer is getting all their music flagged, even though they have never submitted it anywhere, according to their Tweets.

Also, looks like you can't even play Doom now without being muted.

Looks like silent gaming is the new hip thing, fuck the talkies!
This is it then...

I'm a doom caster, I just recently started seriously taking up playing custom doom mapsets (wads) and then exporting them to youtube.

Now I can't even cast Doom. I can't imagine SMT: Nocturne now..

It's really over..

SJRB

Gold Member
Looking forward to the next Jimquisition.

Also: fuck Twitch, you twats. You had a perfect thing going and ran it into the ground.

Mrdrboi

Banned
My gawd so soon as google bought twitch,twitch went to shit. That was fast. With youtube it took time before it went to shit now anything google buys goes to shit instantly.

So in contrast to some of the other streamers who have showed extreme displeasure in this.

Here is Lethalfrag doing the same thing he does everytime Twitch implements a change for the worse, hides behind the statement of "change is inevitable".

http://www.twitch.tv/lethalfrag/c/4840224

Im not going to do something like make a personal attack against him because its his prerogative but this kind of stuff bothers me because as long as he's still getting paid he will shut up and let Twitch spoonfeed him whatever bullshit they want to.

Ferrio

Banned
So in contrast to some of the other streamers who have showed extreme displeasure in this.

Here is Lethalfrag doing the same thing he does everytime Twitch implements a change for the worse, hides behind the statement of "change is inevitable".

Im not going to do something like make a personal attack against him because its his prerogative but this kind of stuff bothers me because as long as he's still getting paid he will shut up and let Twitch spoonfeed him whatever bullshit they want to.

Ya it's annoying, but I don't blame him. Single dad and all.

Sandfox

Some people don't exactly want to talk against or make moves against the people that pay them.

Mrdrboi

Banned

Some people just wanna watch the world burn....

Top Bottom