• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

BenjaminBirdie said:
*cough*
*cough*
Suddenly feeling...so sick...may not make it...prolly gotta go...home...

Something must be going around, I don't feel good either. I'm pretty sure it's a case of "toohumancoopitis" or something. I'm definitely jonesing to play more, but unfortunately tonight is "date night" with my girlfriend. Damn sexlife getting in the way of the game!

Cornballer said:
Oh, I got the klobb plans last night, btw. :lol

I got that one too, but haven't built it yet.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just chiming in to say that I put 2 hours into this last night, finishing up with the Area 1 boss before going to bed. I absolutely love it! Playing a Berserker, maxed out the combat speed skill, and it is amazing how fast you are when your combo gets high. Practically a blur!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
beat it again for the second time last night (first time on debug, this time on retail) and it still retained the entertainment when I first went through it.

fin

wayward archer said:
Armor is a bit different, upgrades come pretty regularly but they stagger it out, so I might be changing to a new piece of armor every 10-15 minutes or so but I tend to keep individual pieces for a while.

I've been using my crafted items for armor as well as weapons. The blue print items are worth it and harder to find. This has been good for me cause I haven't been changing equipment too often. In fact I got these shoulder pads and helmet from the 1st challange room in the Ice Forest and I used them till almost the end.

Jtyettis said:
Right on the Dpad.

Cool I'll try that too.

But yeah I'll write some stuff too:

I also was hooked last night, played 7.5 hours in one night. I'm playing the Champion class, which focuses on air combat. It's been a blast. I got one combo last night that went over 100 hits. It's just crazy, you get swarms of enemies rushing you and it seems impossible but you get through it. At times you're hoping for a health orb drop SOOOOO bad it hurts, but the more enemies you kill the more likely you will get one. So if you're low on health try fighting the weaker enemies first.

I'm a big fan of air combat, it's tough to get a large enough combo to finsh a guy off in one juggle. Like you throw the guy up, jump, and you can immediatly do a finisher. Or you can try and finish the kill by holding the right stick to get some extra hits, but it you do too many you may just fall back down and the enemy may still be alive. So I've been practising serving, then doing some extra hits by holding the right sitck, then doing a finisher to complete the kill. These also fill up your combo gauge really fast.

The combo gauge is really cool. At zero you're slow as shit. But as you start building up your hits and it gets faster and faster. Then when your maxed out, you can do the 2-in-1 ruiner attack, which doesn't affect your combo gauge as much, and clear out a room full of enemies. Only to start comboing again to build up your gauge. It's this circle of, feirce attacks, combos, air juggles and ruiners that really make this fun for me.

The art direction is really cool. I really like Heimdalls office, :). The backgrounds are really cool, especially the Ice Forest. I love this Ice Age theme Too Human has. But yeah I'm going to go home and play all night again. Can't wait.

FrankT

Have no idea how Wired did a first run through in under 10 hours. Maybe just not paying attention to all the hidden stuff plus gear repairs/buying/salvaging/cybernetics. I'm probably midway through level 3 with 10 hours already. Not going super fast or slow and I had close to 7 hours after the second level.

AgentOtaku said:
....so I must ask....who here considers the game worth a full $60.....or should I just wait for a sale =P

I'm not regreting my purchase at all. Very fun to play. Replayability seems very high right now, and there's lots of stuff I couldn't do yet that I look forward to getting on future replays. I've found a few secrets but the ways some of them are hidden it looks like there may be lots that i'm missing. I'm only about 4-5 hours in so things may change of course.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Too Human is Gauntlett Dark Legacy, but in Next Gen and it cost Microsoft 40-or-so-mil.

I know that sounds like a troll (part of that sentence is), but I liked Gauntlett Dark Legacy. A good little time sink for me and my brother a fair few summers ago.

It also makes me laugh how much Dyack promised with regards to the camera (it's crap), combat (it's 'tard basic) and the story (not really feeling it).

If I ignore all that, it's just a nice little big-budget dungeon hack n slash.

wayward archer said:
I'm not regreting my purchase at all. Very fun to play. Replayability seems very high right now, and there's lots of stuff I couldn't do yet that I look forward to getting on future replays. I've found a few secrets but the ways some of them are hidden it looks like there may be lots that i'm missing. I'm only about 4-5 hours in so things may change of course.

Thanks for the input

...yeah I'm hoping longivity works in my favor here. I mean, I easily put over an hour into the demo, each time I played it!

AgentOtaku said:
Thanks for the input

...yeah I'm hoping longivity works in my favor here. I mean, I easily put over an hour into the demo, each time I played it!

If you put over a hour in the demo. Yeah... this will keep you busy for a good long time!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Cornballer said:
Depends a lot on how you want to play it. People have been having problems with the commando on certain types of enemies. All of them have pluses and minuses. The guy who wrote the strategy guide put up a blog post on his favorite builds that I found useful.

Thanks you da man. Will print this up.

Chrange

Banned
Fired it in yesterday and wanted to play the single player first. Had a friend continually begging me to play coop though so we went into that after I finished the second level. We planned to only play those first two levels, but after playing the first one three times and the second one twice we went on to the third.

Finally realized I just had to shut it down at 4:45 in the morning. Work today is going to suck, but I'm jumping right back online when I get home. :D

AgentOtaku said:
....so I must ask....who here considers the game worth a full $60.....or should I just wait for a sale =P

I'm through two levels, in single player, haven't done any co-op yet, and really enjoying it. It's very addictive. Put in four hours last night and really wanted to play more. If it had been the weekend, I'd have easily put in another four I think.

goldenpp72

yeah so far it's worth the 60 bucks, one thing im happy about is how technically sound it is in terms of load times, there are none, or very little.

FrankT

So this luck rune maybe helping a bit. Level 19 and I've had like 3 orange schematic drops in a short period of time. I have it in my helmet which isn't going to last me much longer level wise so I'm hoping for another one of these.

AgentOtaku said:

Yes. This is definetly worth the $60 if your into this type of game. Good co-op, good singleplayer, lots of awesome loot. I don't regret it whatsoever. Can't wait to get home and play more.

Man, this whole grenade thing has me totally reimagining my run through W2. And that ballistics charm should be a breeze now.

So excited to play some more. I'm prolly also going to reset my skill points and focus on that Spider Mine shit. That's another thing I don't get about some of the reviews. Restructuring your skill points makes a HUGE difference.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Yes. This is definetly worth the $60 if your into this type of game. Good co-op, good singleplayer, lots of awesome loot. I don't regret it whatsoever. Can't wait to get home and play more.

Seconded. Definitely worth it.

The most drastic problems the game has are the way the story is told (cutscenes and dialogue are pretty terrible even though the concept is pretty interesting) and anything that keeps you from more action. The first run through Aesir Corp between W1 and 2 was like "COME ONNNN I WANNA HIT SHIT AGAIN". Also, the design of about 70% of the armor I've seen so far is horrifyingly terrible. Color runes will probably go a long way to alleviating that.

The actual gameplay, combat, leveling, and loot is incredibly satisfying and addictive. You have just enough variety in control and weapons that it does make modifications, skill increases, and new loot legitimately satisfying, despite what a lot of reviews have said.

When I first saw footage of the skill trees and weapon stats I said "Wow, that stuff looks so varied and cool." And it has not at all disappointed.

Conclusion: I Will Be Making A New Avatar Featuring Miles From LOST Saying "OMG. Too Human Is Fun!"

BenjaminBirdie said:
Seconded. Definitely worth it.

The most drastic problems the game has are the way the story is told (cutscenes and dialogue are pretty terrible even though the concept is pretty interesting) and anything that keeps you from more action. The first run through Aesir Corp between W1 and 2 was like "COME ONNNN I WANNA HIT SHIT AGAIN". Also, the design of about 70% of the armor I've seen so far is horrifyingly terrible. Color runes will probably go a long way to alleviating that.

The actual gameplay, combat, leveling, and loot is incredibly satisfying and addictive. You have just enough variety in control and weapons that it does make modifications, skill increases, and new loot legitimately satisfying, despite what a lot of reviews have said.

When I first saw footage of the skill trees and weapon stats I said "Wow, that stuff looks so varied and cool." And it has not at all disappointed.

Conclusion: I Will Be Making A New Avatar Featuring Miles From LOST Saying "OMG. Too Human Is Fun!"

I agree that the cutscenes definetly need work. A pity because I actually really enjoy the voice acting. Yet still this doesn't kill the game for me. I've seen way worse.

The colored runes DO go a long way in making your gear look alot better. Thank god for that.

Man... I just wanna go home and play more damnit!

So, a few questions then.

- I selected the option to go "cybernetic" but didn't see a way to add cybernetic parts. How does this work? Any cool ones?

- Do item bonuses stack? I'm assuming so, but wasn't sure. So if an item says +7% to Total Armor and another one says +6%, do I get a +13% bonus?

- I had no idea there was a second page of skills to choose from. What's on that page that makes it different?

Kung Fu Jedi said:

- I selected the option to go "cybernetic" but didn't see a way to add cybernetic parts. How does this work? Any cool ones?
Flip to the second skill page. Those are your cybernetic options.
- Do item bonuses stack? I'm assuming so, but wasn't sure. So if an item says +7% to Total Armor and another one says +6%, do I get a +13% bonus?
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they will stack up to the listed cap. e.g. you can't get over a 20%(?) Total Armor bonus when everything is stacked.
- I had no idea there was a second page of skills to choose from. What's on that page that makes it different?
See above.

Cornballer said:
Flip to the second skill page. Those are your cybernetic options.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think they will stack up to the listed cap. e.g. you can't get over a 20%(?) Total Armor bonus when everything is stacked.
See above.

Ahh! Thanks. I was wondering what I was suppose to do with the Cybernetic options. I assume if you go the "human" route, you get a completely different page of skills.

Soroc

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Second Page of skills is where your Allignment Skill tree is. :D

EDIT: Man this thread is starting to move fast :lol

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Ahh! Thanks. I was wondering what I was suppose to do with the Cybernetic options. I assume if you go the "human" route, you get a completely different page of skills.

Also, and correct me anyone if I'm wrong. If you pick human you can't equip cybernatic based armor, and vice versa.

SPEA

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Correct.

Chrange

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Also, and correct me anyone if I'm wrong. If you pick human you can't equip cybernatic based armor, and vice versa.

Yes, which KILLS me as immediately after choosing Cybernetic I got a slew of orange gear, all of it for those stinking Humans!

My turn for questions....

- Does save & quit return you to exactly the same position you were in before, or just the nearest load point?
- If you use the "go to Aesir" option from the menu when you're in a world, can you teleport right back to where you were before? Just curious if I can bail out for a sec to repair some items, then head back.
- What weapons are the people playing champions using? I've been swords so far, which has been fine. I might switch up to hammer (please don't hurt 'em) for the juggling effect, though.

Soroc said:
Second Page of skills is where your Allignment Skill tree is. :D

EDIT: Man this thread is starting to move fast :lol

Yeah, despite GAF's hatred of Dyack and luke-warm reception (to put it mildly) of the game, this thread is going strong and there is a lot of positive impressions and enthusiasm for the game.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, despite GAF's hatred of Dyack and luke-warm reception (to put it mildly) of the game, this thread is going strong and there is a lot of positive impressions and enthusiasm for the game.

Yep. Its nice for a change actually.

fin

Cornballer said:
My turn for questions....

- Does save & quit return you to exactly the same position you were in before, or just the nearest load point?
- If you use the "go to Aesir" option from the menu when you're in a world, can you teleport right back to where you were before? Just curious if I can bail out for a sec to repair some items, then head back.
- What weapons are the people playing champions using? I've been swords so far, which has been fine. I might switch up to hammer (please don't hurt 'em) for the juggling effect, though.

I'm a Champion and started out using 1-handed sword, then switched to Hammer, then to Staff, and now I'm using a 2-handed sword. I've been switching weapons based on stats, not by choice... I've used pretty much every melee weapon type, I wonder if it was designed to work like that?

fin said:
I'm a Champion and started out using 1-handed sword, then switched to Hammer, then to Staff, and now I'm using a 2-handed sword. I've been switching weapons based on stats, not by choice... I've used pretty much every melee weapon type, I wonder if it was designed to work like that?

Wait... you can use two handed swords with a champion??? I didn't think I could with mine.

fin said:
I'm a Champion and started out using 1-handed sword, then switched to Hammer, then to Staff, and now I'm using a 2-handed sword. I've been switching weapons based on stats, not by choice... I wonder if it was designed to work like that?
I think the 1-handed weapons are more likely to critical hit whereas the 2-handed have better status effects (fire damage, etc...) based on your character and the weapon you're using. Hammers can be used to launch foes. Not sure what staffs can do.

fin said:
I'm a Champion and started out using 1-handed sword, then switched to Hammer, then to Staff, and now I'm using a 2-handed sword. I've been switching weapons based on stats, not by choice... I wonder if it was designed to work like that?

Exactly what I've been doing. I've been switching mostly based on damage dealt and bonuses conveyed, and it's worked out well for me. Typically in an RPG, I'm a "sword-guy", but mixing it up has been great, and there are different animations and attack styles for each weapon. Easier to juggle with the big hammers too. :lol

Ranged weapons have a lot of variety too. I'm currently using a bad-ass cannon that has a high rate of fire, does good damage, and doesn't burn through it's ammo all that quickly. It's pretty devastating actually.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, is the Efficiency stuff on my HUD there for everyone or just the Human path? And what happens when you max it?
I believe it's replaced by a damage modifier for cybernetic folks. Not sure exactly how "efficiency" works on the human side, though. I think you use less combo juice when you activate your special powers (ruiner, battle cry, etc...)

So maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm a champion, yet every two handed sword I've got I can't equip. Its not locked its just not usuable... is that because I picked human side or am I just confused on something here? :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm a champion, yet every two handed sword I've got I can't equip. Its not locked its just not usuable... is that because I picked human side or am I just confused on something here? :lol
Does it have a cybernetic tag on it? Some weapons have an alignment to them.

slasher_thrasher21 said:

Maybe it's a skill you have to get in your tech tree? I would think that the Human path would be more likely to use two blades.

Hi All,

- Classes can use a lot of different weapon types (there's a few exceptions) as long as it's the right level and alignment. The only "negative" to swapping your "native" weapon is some of the skill trees have bonuses to that type. We did keep these open, so for example, instead of just a + to 1handed swords, it's any sword so you are encouraged to try things.
- Bosses tend to have melee and ballistic phases where they are highly resistant to one or the other. If you're doing really little damage with guns, switch up to melee or vice versa.
- If you save/go to Aesir in the single player campaign, it will restart you at your nearest checkpoint. If you jump with the teleporter and save/go to Aesir, it will restart you at the start of the section.
- Dark polarities are basically immune to gunfire. Shooting them actually charges up their status effects. They are pretty anti Commando, but there's lot of way around this including juggling, Ruiners, and fierce attacks.
- Yes, the weapons on the wall/hall in Aesir are findable in game.

/hides

Henry Sterchi said:
Hi All,

- Classes can use a lot of different weapon types (there's a few exceptions) as long as it's the right level and alignment. The only "negative" to swapping your "native" weapon is some of the skill trees have bonuses to that type. We did keep these open, so for example, instead of just a + to 1handed swords, it's any sword so you are encouraged to try things.
- Bosses tend to have melee and ballistic phases where they are highly resistant to one or the other. If you're doing really little damage with guns, switch up to melee or vice versa.
- If you save/go to Aesir in the single player campaign, it will restart you at your nearest checkpoint. If you jump with the teleporter and save/go to Aesir, it will restart you at the start of the section.
- Dark polarities are basically immune to gunfire. Shooting them actually charges up their status effects. They are pretty anti Commando, but there's lot of way around this including juggling, Ruiners, and fierce attacks.

/hides

Awesome! Thanks for the post Henry. I'm assuming you helped build the game, and if so, I hope everyone a SK realizes that there is a healthy GAF contingent that is very much enjoying the game.

Please don't hide! I'm sure we'll appreciate your insights! :)

Henry Sterchi said:
Hi All,

/hides

Awesome. Thanks for the answers. No need to hide. Alot of us on this thread LOVE the game.

Grecco

I had my issues with the demo, but i decided to pick it up anyways.

Toys R Us has it for 49.99 and if you ask at the cashiers, they have a 20 percent off one item coupon. So you end up paying 40 bucks. Which is a good price for anybody on the fence.

You also can get another game for 50 off. I picked up Burnout Paradise as well for 15 dollars.

Soroc

Henry Sterchi said:
Hi All,

awesome info

/hides

Hi Henry! Thanks for the info and plz don't hide! I'm sure we would all love to have an ongoing communication with you and the rest of the team. Your game is really addictive! :D

Soroc said:
Hi Henry! Thanks for the info and plz don't hide! I'm sure we would all love to have an ongoing communication with you and the rest of the team. Your game is really addictive! :D

I second that completely. Now that I'm at work away from the game, I feel like I'm a drug junkie who just went cold turkey and I'm dying for more!

Borman

b0e71a13.jpg

More shameless advertising by myself, but I posted the first 20 minutes of Too Human on my site:
http://superiorversion.com/content/view/258/30/

Along with around 50 720p screenshots

Top Bottom