• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Official Thread of Hack-n-Loot

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
v611m1.png

*Thread banner made by Jinfash, thanks!

Welcome to the NeoGAF official thread for Too Human! The game and its creator have received a lot of... [ahem] critcism here at GAF, but there are still a lot of us excited to play it. So this thread is a love letter from us to Silicon Knights -- for previous sins, GAF's gesture of atonement.

That means no trolling! Only excited yapping and much love. Bishop and other mods will be patrolling this thread heavily -- you have been warned.

Update: Denis Dyack himself has hit the thread. See Post #256. LoL never mind, dude got permabanned.
Update 2: Instead, we have Too Human's director of design Henry Sterchi in the thread! See Post #1593.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
  • Vital stats (read this before asking silly questions in the thread!)
  • Overview
  • Reviews
  • Previews and hands-on pieces
  • Videos
  • Screenshots
  • Demo?
  • Other cool stuff
  • Tips, tricks and shit you should know (read this, too, before asking silly questions in the thread!)
  • GAF Gamertag list

VITAL STATS

Release dates
North America: August 19, 2008 OUT NOW BIATCHES, GO GET YO COPY!!!
Japan: August 28, 2008 今雌犬は、得るあなたのコピーを!行く!!! (
yes, this was Babel Fished. I don't know Japanese
)
Australia: August 28, 2008 OUT NOW BLOKES, IT'S YOUR SHOUT!!!
Europe: August 29, 2008 ¡LIBÉRÉ JETZT, PUTAS, CONSIGA YOUR COPIA!

Is it region free?
The North American version is not, no. But according to Play Asia, the Asian version is region free! So import that one. (Thanks for the heads-up, Nemesis556!)

Console
Xbox 360 (exclusive)

Genre
Action Role-Playing Game

Price
$59.99 US and Canadian (Circuit City will give a $10 gift card when you buy TH ... Toys R Us will have a buy-one-get-one-half-off sale on X360 games when TH releases And they'll sell TH for $49.99 through Aug. 23!)
£44.99 (£34.99 if you preorder from Game ... And Amazon has it for £29.99 but you don't get downloadable armour ... It's £34.99 at HMV, preorder from them and you get 1,000 free MS Points)
€59,00
$99.95 Australian (JB Hi-Fi will have it for $79 ... It's $89.95 if you preorder from Game)

Brought to you by...
Developer: Silicon Knights
Publisher: Microsoft

ESRB Rating
T for Teen for Blood, Language, Mild Suggestive Themes, Violence

OVERVIEW

Premise
As the Cybernetic God Baldur, players are thrust into the midst of an ongoing battle that threatens the existence of mankind. An ancient machine presence has forced the God's hand. In the first of a three part trilogy, Baldur is charged with defending mankind from an onslaught of monstrous war machines bent on eradication of human life. Players are treated to a nonstop barrage of action powered by the seamless integration of melee and ranged firearms combat. Battles unfold in awesome scale as players engage in spectacular battles with vast numbers of enemies.

Features
  • Two-player online co-op
  • Synergy of Melee and Firearms Combat: It'll take more than brawn and raw strength to supplant the machine hordes. Utilize a sophisticated blend of seamless melee and firearms combat to vanquish foes close and far.
  • Advanced Cinematic Presentation: Characters and environments come to life with unparalleled visual fidelity. Experience the full excitement of combat through a dynamically-driven presentation system that portrays the combat with cinematic quality. A sweeping orchestral score sets the mood for heartbreak, anger and bloodlust as each tune encapsulates the gamer within the immersive gaming environment.
  • Intuitive Combat Provides New Level of Accessibility: Perform Baldur's elaborate and complex combat maneuvers through the press of a button and chain together rapid-fire combos with ease.
  • Modern Take on a Classic Story: "Too Human" chronicles the ongoing struggle between Cybernetic gods, machine giants and mortal men on a massive scale never before seen. Play the role of a cybernetic god charged with protecting the human race against a relentless onslaught of machines.

REVIEWS

Metacritic has settled upon 65 out of 100
Haze and Lair are 55 and 53 on Metacritic, respectively

1up: C- (review can be read here); second review: C-
Ars Technica: Buy (review can be read here)
CTV: No score (review can be read here)
Edge: 6 out of 10
Eurogamer: 6 out of 10 (review can be read here)
GameInformer: 6.75 out of 10 (review can be read here); second opinion: 7.0
Gameplayer: 7 out of 10 (review can be read here
Gametrailers: 6.5 out of 10 (review can be watched here)
Game Pro: 4.0 out of 5 (review can be read here)
Games Magazine (Greece): 93 out of 100
GameSpot: 5.5 out of 10 (review can be read here)
GameSpy: 2.5 out of 5 (review can be read here)
Giant Bomb: 3 out of 5 (review can be read here)
The HD Room: 7.9 out of 10 (review can be read here)
IGN: 7.8 out of 10 (review can be read here)
IGN UK: 7.5 out of 10 (review can be read here)
Maxim (Russia): 5 out of 5
Neo+ Magazine (Poland): 8.5 out of 10
NZGamer.com: 7.5 out of 10 (review can be read here)
PC World: No score (review can be read here)
Planet Xbox 360: 8.7 out of 10 (review can be read here)
play.tm: 88% out of 100 (review can be read here)
Playboy Magazine: 2.5 out of 4
X-Play: 4 out of 5 (review can be watched here)
Xbox360 Achievements: 78 out of 100 (review can be read here)

PREVIEWS/HANDS-ON

@Gamerscore Blog: http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2008/08/19/560570.aspx
Chris Paladino said:
Assuming you are into the style of gameplay, there are some concepts, tips, and tricks that may enhance your gameplay.

• Dying all the time? Try a Commando class. Go the Cybernetic alignment, pour your skill points into increasing slug rate of fire, and cannon range.
  • Can't see in combat? Use the ISO camera view (down on the d-pad a few times)
  • Get hit when jumping? Use the "B" button - it's a dodge, not just a roll. Keep sliding from enemy to enemy to avoid getting surrounded
  • Low on health? Bio-engineers can regenerate, everyone else should find a glowing crystals (barrels) which give you a health boost when smashed with melee
  • How to deal with polarity enemies? If an enemy is fire, poison or ice you can keep your distance - but still attack in melee with a fierce attack (push LS and RS at the enemy simultaneously)
  • Lost? Look for clues in the environment, lights will pulsate in the direction you are supposed to head, doors will have animated lights around the frame of where you should go.
  • Salvage system confusing? At it's simplest, look at the damage (for weapons), or armor (for gear) and use the one with the best number. Salvage everything else for money to to purchase new gear, or craft items
  • Charm system confusing? Equip the charm, then "complete" it by inserting the proper runes into it after you have accomplished the specific objective for that charm. Rare charms need common charms inserted into them rather than runes.

@IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/885/885425p1.html
Hilary Goldstein said:
Too Human is an RPG through and through, though it has far more in common with Diablo than games like Mass Effect. While there is a story, you won't be running around talking to 200 individual people. You don't learn the stories of dozens of NPCs or receive sidequests. There are no morality paths to choose. You're the good guy and it's your job to take down the Norse gods that have gone rotten. The RPG elements come in the form of considerable character customization and an unhealthy number of l00t drops. Building up Baldur is the guilty pleasure of Too human.

@GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/toohuman/news.html?sid=6181072
Justin Calvert said:
If you're familiar with the loot/drop systems in MMO games and action role-playing games, such as Diablo II, you'll have a reasonable idea of what you can expect from Too Human. Many of the enemies that you kill--most of which are robotic variations on classic fantasy goblins, dark elves, and the like--will drop weapons, armor pieces, or item blueprints for you to collect. Items are color-coded according to their rarity, and unsurprisingly, the most powerful items in the game are those that drop the least frequently. The rarest and most powerful items in Too Human can only be obtained by collecting a blueprint for their design from an enemy then spending a significant amount of money on having the item crafted. In the finished game, you'll only be able to craft items in between levels.

@1Up: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3168474&p=4&sec=PREVIEWS
Jay Frechette said:
Everything went smoothly in the [co-op] sessions we played; only minutes after signing on, we were running around together in the game's first level, the Hall of Heroes. The experience is somewhat streamlined, in the anticipation that you'll be playing through multiple times. The additional bear and wolf squads that join you in the campaign are gone, as are the cut-scenes and tutorials. The first wave of enemies ambushed us within moments of the game starting, and we immediately noticed that not only was their location different than in the single-player game; but there were also a whole lot more of them. The enemies also scale to match up with the highest level member of the party.

@Team Xbox: http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2021/Too-Human/p1/
Dale Nardozzi said:
Speaking of loot, you’ll want to make sure to revert to the Equipment menu of the pause screen quite often when playing Too Human. SK kept the equipment-upgrade system in classic RPG style, in that you won’t be able to access any goodies on the fly. The slight break-up of the game’s flow (which isn’t a big deal since Too Human features NO loading screens) has an impressive trade-off: an equipment system on-par with many modern-day RPGs. Not only are there hundreds of thousands of equipment combinations in Too Human, but there are also expertly crafted visual character upgrades that progress as bits are cultivated and donned.

@411mania: http://www.411mania.com/games/previews/80402/Too-Human-(Xbox-360)-Preview.htm
Rod Oracheski said:
From my hands-on time with Too Human, exploring the skill trees of each class and getting the hang of the combat, I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished product has in store. I was surprised to find the combat far more engaging than I'd initially expected, and I can see how it draws comparisons to Geometry Wars. The loot system is surprisingly deep, and I only learned of the crafting system a short time before getting hands-on time, so that was a pleasant surprise as well.

@Gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35707.html

VIDEOS

@IGN: http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/748/748783/vids_1.html
@GameSpot: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/toohuman/media.html
@1Up: http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=2007427&type=game&sec=VIDEOS
@Gametrailers: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35707.html

SCREENSHOTS

DEMO?

Yes, there's a demo! It's on XBL Marketplace for free. Whether you're totally hyped or just mildly interested in Too Human, go download the demo and give it a whirl. Just remember that, no, the real game doesn't let you heal either. [EDIT] Scratch that, Denis Dyack himself corrected my ass! Read on:
Denis Dyack said:
This is actually not entirely true. When you see glowing destroyable or breakables you get health or money. The % chance of health is inversely proportional to your health. So the more you need health the more likely you will get it (5% life left means 95% of getting health drop). So when you are hurting run to these.
So there you go.

Unlock all classes
Want to unlock all the classes in the demo? Here's how:

1) Disconnect your box from Xbox Live (unhook your ethernet cord or wireless adapter).
2) In the Dashboard, go to the System blade and go into your Console Settings.
3) Adjust your clock so that it thinks it's 2009 (or later, whatever).
4) Go start up the too Human Demo and you'll find the Berserker and Commando classes are unlocked in the class selection screen.
5) To get the Defender or Bioengineer class, move the screen to the desired locked class and quickly press the left thumbstick + A button at the same time to play as that class.
6) ...
7) Profit!

OTHER COOL STUFF

Java Character Plotter
One plucky poster, named Wiigin, at fansite TooHuman.net created a Java app that lets you plot out a character's skill set. Should give you something to do during the long week or two leading up to the game's release.

Click here to download the character plotter
Click here to look at the relevant thread on TooHuman.net

Achievements
There are 28 single-player achievements as well as 21 secret achievements. To read the whole list, go to this Web site and scroll down a bit.

TIPS, TRICKS AND SHIT YOU SHOULD KNOW

How do I use runes and charms?
This question has been asked a lot, so listen up. This is how you use them.
STEP 1: Equip the charm.
STEP 2: Fulfill the charm's requirements.
STEP 3: Put the required runes into the charm's slots.
STEP 4: ????
STEP 5: PROFIT!
Also, once you get a level 2 charm, you put level 1 charms into its slots, NOT runes. For example, once you finish making a purple charm, you put white charms into it.

There's a second skill tree
No, really, there is. In the menu on the first skill tree's page, press the right trigger to bring up the second skill tree.

GRENADES, you has them
All rifles have grenades as a secondary weapon. Spam them frequently, they help against bosses!

A guide to weapons and armor
Melee Weapons
Hammers: Capable of inflicting blunt damage, hammers excel in smashing the ground and launching(easy juggles for combo meter) multiple enemies into the air with ease.

Staves: Steady weapons capable of inflicting piercing(armor ignore) damage over a wide arc.

Swords: Precision instruments capable of dealing a high amount of slashing damage to designated targets.

Melee Weapon Specializations
1 Handed: Exacting strikes with bonus chance to inflict critical damage.(High proc for critical hits; Tis why a Champion is hawt)

2 Handed: Large & powerful strikes that inflict high damage and a bonus chance to inflict status effects when available.(High proc for status effects like damage over time or roots)

Dual Wield: Use of two offensive weapons allow for faster strikes.

Ballistic Weaponry
Pistols: Capable of dual fire, Short range of fire, faster rate of fire, low end damage.

Rifles: Medium range weaponry, medium damage output, secondary fire mode consist of a grenade launcher.

Cannons: High damage output, excels in anti-missile defense, high penetrating chance. Requires Cybernetic alignment

Ballistic Specializations
Slug: Rapid fire slashing* damage.(*High crit chance maybe?)

Plasma: Slow rate of fire, rounds have a splash damage over a wide radius.(Excels in killing tight groups of enemies)

Laser: High damage output, high piercing ability to single enemy. Lasers excel in damage over time against one target.(Like focusing a magnifying glass)[/LEFT]

Armored Augmentations
Head/Helms: Increases lock-on distance for ballistics. Enhances Battle Cries and Ruiners damage/radius/buff duration. Cybernetic alignment increases weaponry damage.

Torso: Damage reduction, increases ammo capacity, augments healing properties, enhances spider connectivity.

Shoulders: Air combat modifiers, increases juggle ability and increases air combat damage.

Hands: Increases armor and enhances repair functionality. Cybernetic alignment increases damage with melee weapons and increases accuracy with ranged weapons.

Legs: Reduces ammunition reloading speed. Improves slide speed for quicker combos. Cybernetic alignment increases knockback force.

Boots: Further augments slide speed and dodge ability. Cybernetic enhancements further augment battle cry ability.

GAF GAMERTAG LIST

For an easy way to find a co-op partner, send an invite to NeoGAF TooHuman, then check its friend list for everyone on GAF playing TH. VaLiancY graciously set up the account, thanks!

For those of you doing it the old fashioned way, here's a list of GAFfers who have dropped their Gamertags in this thread in the hopes of l00ting it up together online. Feel free to do the same and I'll edit your tag into this OP.

73 names strong! Alphabetized for your pleasure:

Gamertag (GAF screenname)
akenatone (akenatone)
Apharmd Battler (Apharmd Battler)
Aranathos (Opus Angelorum) <- is looking for a European partner
BigAT4 (BigAT)
BlackSTYX (Lebron)
border1979 (border)
ComeBackTime (ComeBackTime)
Cornballer (Cornballer)
costanza x (Costanza)
DKMS Somnia (Somnia)
Dack Montana (ColonelT)
DarkQberto (daw840)
Death Aflame (Lykathea)
Dehydration (kmfdmpig)
DJ Brannon (Brannon)
DKMS Somnia (Somnia)
Domer14 (JoeLang)
Doubleb22 (Righty10)
EazyB (EazyB)
END3R5G4M3 (bigdaddygamebot)
eric of doom (Tobor)
Eric WK (Eric WK)
Haklong (Haklong) <- is in Eastern USA time zone
neiljoy (hiljay)
Finjitzu (fin)
FreakmanJ (I AM JOHN!)
ghostmind (ghostmind)
goldenpp72 (goldenpp72)
grendelrt (grendelrt)
Hannar (Hannar)
Hexjackal (JSnake)
HiredMan (HiredMan)
huntersblades (Lonesome_Raod) <- is in the UK
Ironballs (Ironballs)
johnjohnson (johnjohnson)
JordoftheDead (JordoftheDead)
Jtyettis1 (Jtyettis)
KafkaRock (kafka rock opera)
KungFuJedi 1138 (Kung Fu Jedi)
Larsen B (Larsen B)
Les Doodis (Doodis)
Liquidlynch13 (xS1TH L0RDx)
LordFarquaad612 (gcubed)
MaddenNFL64 (MaddenNFL64)
Meani Pants (Not a Jellyfish)
Median87 (Median)
Mejilan (Mejilan)
MWS The Natural (MWS Natural)
NakedSushi (nakedsushi)
navicat (Witchfinder General)
neiljoy (hiljay)
No Cease Fires (Mifune)
Nos G (Nos_G)
PepsimanVsJoe (PepsimanVsJoe)
PIMPBYBLUD (PIMPBYBLUD)
poopsock56 (mh56)
PWelch (FoeHammer)
Ricker (Ricker)
ringlord (ringlord)
scottlarock904 (Scottlarock)
sevenchaos (sevenchaos)
slasherjpc (slasher_thrasher21)
Soroc (Soroc)
SPEA (SPEA)
spruchy86 (Spruchy)
Stantron (Stantron)
SYSTEM Turn A (U K Narayan)
Tag Am Legend (Captain N)
Tetsuo2k (_tetsuo_)
thekranz (eznark)
Truelize (Truelize)
Valnegro (VaLiancY)
Wip3dOut (WipedOut)

footer.jpg

In before crash & burn. :lol JK

Demo was terrible. Hopefully the final game will be better. I think co-op could be really fun if you were tripping balls.

Safe haven! Ye gods, I give thee thanks!

Mayest I don the finest in Defense Stat Raising Helmets, and may Goblin Bullets bounce off my armor like rain.

painey

I've been meaning to pick up the latest copy of the Greek Games Magazine. This will certainly be an interesting game.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Bish laid down the gauntlet. I pity anyone actually trying it.

It will be nice to discuss the game minus the egregious fuckwittery that tends to follow it.

permutated said:
In before crash & burn. :lol JK

Demo was terrible. Hopefully the final game will be better. I think co-op could be really fun if you were tripping balls.

:lol

Must've seen the banner. I count three edits so far.

(Four, now!)

;D

Littleberu said:
Don't do that. Go to Gamefaqs for that.

I know right? That kind of shit has been showing up on Gaf recently, and if your life gains anything by being the first post on a forum thread, maybe you need help.

BenjaminBirdie said:
:lol

Must've seen the banner. I count three edits so far.

(Four, now!)

;D

Hmm? Naw man, not trolling, just had stuff to add. Game wasn't that great in the demo, but I could see how people could like it, I'm not one for the dungeon quests but I know ALOT of people who are, and I'd play with them in Co-Op if they had it.

permutated said:
Hmm? Naw man, not trolling, just had stuff to add. Game wasn't that great in the demo, but I could see how people could like it, I'm not one for the dungeon quests but I know ALOT of people who are, and I'd play with them in Co-Op if they had it.

I was just kidding, brother.

I'll hit you up on the co-op side.

Hi5.

I liked the demo, so I'm definitely still going to give this a go even if it receives generally average reviews.
I've currently got it pre-ordered with GAME with a £5 off code (though that's now expired, sorry folks).

BTW, thanks for the thread Danthrax and mods.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
cjelly said:
If you can live without the 'exclusive armour', then it's £29.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000F6Y5IC/

Thanks, updated OP with that info.

CTLance said:
Maybe the Demo easter egg could go in the OP too, just in case someone hasn't played as Berserker etc yet...

I wasn't aware of the Easter egg. Tell me about it and I'll add it to the OP.

[EDIT] Never mind, found the info out on the 'webs.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I would be lying if I told you I wasn't concerned about the game. Just a little bit. And I'll be the first to admit that I probably should have downloaded the demo before preordering it. But fuck it. I don't do demos. Picked up the bonus dlc code earlier today.

I'll be there day 1, bee-hotches!

CTLance

Danthrax said:
I wasn't aware of the Easter egg. Tell me about it and I'll add it to the OP.
Well, the whole "disconnect from Xbox life by pulling the network plug, then fiddle with the date (+1 year) to get access to defender, Berserker, and the ranged guy" thingamajing - as well as the alternate way of choosing them by switching between them and hammering A.

border

Any first-week sale prices?

Any information on what exactly the pre-order bonus armor sets are for? (like what level range)

I'm not sure if I should pre-order, wait for a first-week sale, or just rent.

Mejilan said:
I would be lying if I told you I wasn't concerned about the game. Just a little bit. And I'll be the first to admit that I probably should have downloaded the demo before preordering it. But fuck it. I don't do demos. Picked up the bonus dlc code earlier today.

I'll be there day 1, bee-hotches!

Why the hell not man? Demo's are awesome, it sold me on both Bioshock and Too Human. You must be loaded if you're willing to throw sixty bucks all willy nilly like that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Pimpbaa said:
Heeey, why is this game immune to trolling?!

1) It gets trolled in every other thread
2) TH fans were crying out for a safe haven, and lo, here it is
3) Bish said so =P

FrankT

U K Narayan said:
WOO!

WOO!

WOO!

CAN'T WAIT! FRIDAY FRIDAY FRIDAY!

GONNA BE AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!

Gamertag: SYSTEM Turn A

Ah man, Euroland getting it first? Nice.

clashfan said:
What happened?

He was the nerd that called "First Post". As if anyone gives a shit who's first on a thread...

Perhaps he'll find more love at Gamefaqs and Gametrailers.

Danthrax said:
1) It gets trolled in every other thread
2) TH fans were crying out for a safe haven, and lo, here it is
3) Bish said so =P

It's a good idea, this Dyack thing has gotten way out of control.

Top Bottom