• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Kinect stand-alone coming October 6 for $149

Genio88

It was predictable, Phill said it wasn't gonna cost 100$, and of course they couldn't let we think that the initial Xbox One was overpriced, anyway, i'm happy with my Xbox One and Kinect day one edition

Isn't BOM of kinect around $75? MS can easily price it $100 and still get profits from it.

That $75 is only the cost of parts. That doesn't include assembly, QA, packaging, shipping etc. Not sure how much extra that all adds, but that probably doesn't leave profit at $100.

boltz

Why are people surprised and disappointed? lol

150$ sounds reasonably for buying it stand alone, could have been 130$ but 150$ makes them more flexible in pricing during deals.

People who are hating on this, are definitely the once who have never used it.

What is there to like about it with barely any games for it? As much as I've enjoyed the original Kinect, I have zero reasons to go for this version.

JaggedSac

Yep.

If you want a kinect for $100, buy it in the bundle, thats what the damn bundle is for.

Then people claiming 'MS arent even doing anything with Kinect' but if you go into a Microsoft Studios thread about what Titles MS is working on its 'MS has too many studios working on kinect shit'

Its like a dog chasing its tail.

If MS priced it at $100 people would be saying 'lol whats the point of the bundle then?' If they priced it lower it would be 'lol kinect bomba'

Yep

ironcreed

Banned
All this will do is make the full package with Kinect look more attractive to those interested, while those who are not can go ahead and pick up an Xbox One without it for $400. Even with a free game. As for the full package with Kinect, there are some great deals to be had. I got mine for $475 and love it. No regrets here.

Tubie

I don't get this, why would MS kill Kinect like this?

It would've been a show of goodwill from them to developers currently working on kinect games if they aggressively priced Kinect.

$80 or even $100 would've been a good price, sure not much profit, but it would've kept it alive.

Chobel

That $75 is only the cost of parts. That doesn't include assembly, QA, packaging, shipping etc. Not sure how much extra that all adds, but that probably doesn't leave profit at $100.

OK, but they can get profits from selling Kinect-software. For $150 I think Kinect stand-alone will bomb hard sale-wise.

So your argument is mic and camera functionality? Sony has one of those combos on amazon right now for $40. And, yeah, that tried and true tech has useful applications.

Kinect tech was more about motion control remember? But after 25? million units sold last gen and whatever software, they've did fuck all to convince people they needed it for X1 and it failed. Right now it's only being utilized as an overpriced camera and mic.

Oh but the future plans! They had all of last gen to achieve something more.

Sorry, but the PS4 camera simply isn't the 1 to 1 match for Kinect that people keep trying to portray it to be, at least certainly not from what I've seen. Kinect isn't just a piece of hardware that has a camera and a mic and that's it, it's quite a bit more than that due to the software and other hardware features that are at the very backbone of what it brings to the Xbox One ecosystem. Kinect simply isn't complete without an Xbox One and it's software as well as hardware foundation. Kinect on its own doesn't have access to the HDMI in port that the Xbox One does, and which neither the PS4 or its camera has. Kinect on its own doesn't have the operating system and UI software that powers an Xbox One. Everytime I see people try to isolate Kinect, they strangely seem to forget just how much an Xbox One and this new Kinect compliment one another. The software (and hardware) were designed to make certain that they compliment one another. Why people don't get this is simply baffling to me.

The PS4 camera may have a microphone and it may be able to see things, but it simply isn't demonstrating capabilities on par with what Kinect brings to the Xbox One. So you be sure to notify me once it is. I'll save you the trouble by telling you that on the whole it's impossible.

BajiRav

They also have to give cuts to retailers - which is probably larger than other stuff you mentioned.

For people saying that the Kinect bundle is for the people who want both and that charging 100 dollars more is useless, I agree, but at the same time I think the 499 price is ridiculous to begin with.

Tubie

Sorry, but the PS4 camera simply isn't the 1 to 1 match for Kinect that people keep trying to portray it to be, at least certainly not from what I've seen. Kinect isn't just a piece of hardware that has a camera and a mic and that's it, it's quite a bit more than that due to the software and other hardware features that are at the very backbone of what it brings to the Xbox One ecosystem. Kinect simply isn't complete without an Xbox One and it's software as well as hardware foundation. Kinect on its own doesn't have access to the HDMI in port that the Xbox One does, and which neither the PS4 or its camera has. Kinect on its own doesn't have the operating system and UI software that powers an Xbox One. Everytime I see people try to isolate Kinect, they strangely seem to forget just how much an Xbox One and this new Kinect compliment one another. The software (and hardware) were designed to make certain that they compliment one another. Why people don't get this is simply baffling to me.

The PS4 camera may have a microphone and it may be able to see things, but it simply isn't demonstrating capabilities on par with what Kinect brings to the Xbox One. So you be sure to notify me once it is. I'll save you the trouble by telling you that on the whole it's impossible.

The PS4 camera is not a Kinect competitor, it's there for people to stream, that's it. It doesn't try to do much more than that, and it's very decently priced for it's goal.

The PS4 camera is not a Kinect competitor, it's there for people to stream, that's it. It doesn't try to do much more than that, and it's very decently priced for it's goal.

I completely understand that, and I agree with you. My main argument is why are some people pretending that the PlayStation 4's camera is something it very clear is not, which is a supposed exact 1 to 1 match for everything Kinect does for the Xbox One, only it costs just $40. That's the only thing I'm disagreeing with, not the notion that the PS4 camera does a good enough job of serving the only set of purposes it's there to serve.

I know it's not a Kinect competitor and that it was never meant to be, but everytime this discussion of Kinect comes up you see the same silly argument that the PS4 camera does the same things Kinect does, but at only $40.

Duxxy3

I expected $129 or $149. They wouldn't sell it at $99 or lower, because nobody would ever buy the bundle again.

Not like it matters right now, you can get them for dirt cheap on ebay.

Tubie

I completely understand that, and I agree with you. My main argument is why are some people pretending that the PlayStation 4's camera is something it very clear is not, which is a supposed exact 1 to 1 match for everything Kinect does for the Xbox One, only it costs just $40. That's the only thing I'm disagreeing with, not the notion that the PS4 camera does a good enough job of serving the only set of purposes it's there to serve.

I know it's not a Kinect competition and that it was never meant to be, but everytime this discussion of Kinect comes up you see the same silly argument that the PS4 camera does the same things Kinect does, but at only $40.

Oh, I agree with the points you made. It just seemed silly people trying to compare the two, and I don't even own an Xbox One.

What would be a good argument is the price, I think MS is pretty much done with Kinect. Otherwise they would've given it a more attractive price, specially after people rejected the $500 Xbox One bundle so sharply.

kevin1025

Banned
Bought the Kinectless Xbox One over a month back. That price is crazy town. It's almost like they don't want people to buy it...

I do wish I had one, and may one day over Ebay or something, but for $150, that is nuts.

Alx

Not surprised by the price, it's exactly what the original kinect cost when bought standalone. It's true a bundled game wouldn't hurt (are we sure there is none ?), the original had Adventures which was great. I suppose there's more to do with the sensor out of the box with all the Xbox One UI and apps supporting it, but it would still help. Are we sure there isn't one ? Since Xbox Fitness will soon be subscription based, maybe they could bundle a few free months for it.

I don't understand people wanting to buy one and complaining on the price, though. They asked for a kinect-less bundle, and now realize that buying kinect on the side will cost more money. Of course it will, you can't have everything. And the kinect bundle is still available for purchase...

Tubie

Not surprised by the price, it's exactly what the original kinect cost when bought standalone. It's true a bundled game wouldn't hurt (are we sure there is none ?), the original had Adventures which was great. I suppose there's more to do with the sensor out of the box with all the Xbox One UI and apps supporting it, but it would still help. Are we sure there isn't one ? Since Xbox Fitness will soon be subscription based, maybe they could bundle a few free months for it.

I don't understand people wanting to buy one and complaining on the price, though. They asked for a kinect-less bundle, and now realize that buying kinect on the side will cost more money. Of course it will, you can't have everything. And the kinect bundle is still available for purchase...

What's weird here is that the Xbox One needed a price drop to compete with the PS4, and this makes it seem like even less of a price drop. If you don't care about the tech (or are just curious about it) why would you spend $150 for it, making your console more expensive than a hardware superior PS4?

As it appears to be a leak on a MS heavy blog-esque site, I wouldn't be surprised if it is bundled with a game [maybe KSR?] and the site didn't find that info out

C.Dark.DN

Banned

I know it's not a Kinect competitor and that it was never meant to be, but everytime this discussion of Kinect comes up you see the same silly argument that the PS4 camera does the same things Kinect does, but at only $40.
What?

It doesn't matter that a camera and mic isn't 1:1. Of course it isn't. The point is the full potential of kinect's ir blasting hasn't and isn't ever going to be tapped into at this point.

MS selling a $40 camera and mic for the most widely used and cared about features would be better for consumers than trying to push the other tech devs don't and haven't supported well for 4 years.

Alx

What's weird here is that the Xbox One needed a price drop to compete with the PS4, and this makes it seem like even less of a price drop. If you don't care about the tech (or are just curious about it) why would you spend $150 for it, making your console more expensive than a hardware superior PS4?

If you don't care about the tech, why would spend any money at all ?

The point is the full potential of kinect's ir blasting hasn't and isn't ever going to be tapped into at this point.

IR blasting is already fully used. What more than controlling your TV, internet box and audio device do you expect it to do ?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

Maybe people want one for voice commands/skype/facial recognition/Streaming only? Things that are possible with the PS4's cheap camera... Except there's no skype app for ps4, but it is capable should some video calling option become available. Think of the Kinect as a pricey laptop with an impressive feature set... Some people are just going to want a cheap laptop/wi fi tablet for internet/facebook etc.

Hell, my own mother was almost sold a pricey, hi spec laptop by some salesman last month. She only wanted it for MS office and internet. I ended up picking out a cheap, but decent laptop for her instead.

Alx

Then ask for a cheaper alternative to kinect, like support for regular webcams. But asking for them to give away the full-featured sensor doesn't make sense.
When people want a cheap laptop for Facebook, they don't complain that laptops with big feature sets are pricey.

quetz67

Banned
i-d-buy-that-for-a-dollar-o.gif

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Then ask for a cheaper alternative to kinect, like support for regular webcams. But asking for them to give away the full-featured sensor doesn't make sense.
When people want a cheap laptop for Facebook, they don't complain that laptops with big feature sets are pricey.

They would if there was no alternative... And I agree about the first two sentences, but not everyone sees the value in kinect. Hence the complaints.

JesseDeya

Banned
no issues, if that controls everything you want. I don't use those, kinect controls everything I need. if you found a cheaper device that fits your needs, awesome. I also like the kinect features of some games for it, I have a young son who will defiantly make use of it.

Kinect controls everything you need because you only have an Xbox One and a cable TV box. That's the entirety of my point, so many people have more than that in their living room these days, and Kinect is completely unable to deal with that scenario. In fact, it's so unable to deal with it, that it effectively reduces the functionality of other learning remotes you may have.

Even if the voice recognition worked 100% of the time (which it clearly doesn't), and was customisable, it still wouldn't work in thousands of very modest home entertainment setups because of the stupid limitations they have implemented.

IR blasting is already fully used. What more than controlling your TV, internet box and audio device do you expect it to do ?

You've obviously never used a decent programable remote. Kinect 2/XBO could easily replicate the functionality Logitech has built into their Harmony software. That would include things like:

Multiple device control (8+)
Activity based scripting
Adjustable pause and ir fire timings for advanced control/troubleshooting
Macros
Learnable or customisable phrases for activities
Learnable or favourite channel names (not numbers)
Control IR blaster with smart glass
Ability to control other devices with XBO in standby
Ability to pass HDMI with XBO in standby or off (not software, but how this is not a thing is beyond me)

I can't see MS doing this though, because that would be to acknowledge there were providers of entertainment outside of the Xbox and TV.

So no, the IR blaster is NOT fully utilised, in fact it's completely wasted in Kinect.

I don't get this, why would MS kill Kinect like this?

It would've been a show of goodwill from them to developers currently working on kinect games if they aggressively priced Kinect.

$80 or even $100 would've been a good price, sure not much profit, but it would've kept it alive.

If anything it's more "return to the status quo" with Kinect.

All of Microsoft's actions over the past year has basically been "make shit exactly like how it was on the 360. Remember the 360 guys? You liked that right?"

Alx

You've obviously never used a decent programable remote. Kinect 2/XBO could easily replicate the functionality Logitech has built into their Harmony software. That would include things like:

I do have one actually (not a Logitech, but a decently advanced one). But the thing is a universal remote is meant to control everything, while kinect assumes that you have an Xbox One running. In those conditions, the only things relevant to control are those linked to that activity. Even if I could control my 360 from my One, why would I want to do that ?
Yes in theory it would be great to have all those features without turning on the Xbox, but it's just not possible. So for that scenario, what you need is just a universal remote.
I wouldn't mind additional features and customization of course, but right now the IR blaster is covering 99% of the needs, it's not the part that requires the most improvement.

jadedm17

Uh, bundles are supposed to be cheaper than buying it separately. I don't think anyone expected it to cost equal to or less than the original bundle.

This statement I agree with as a whole but feel applies less here when Microsoft is playing catchup to Sony. The list of blunders Microsoft has made is just getting longer when they do things like this. Add in XBL costing more and the lack of internal batteries are you're really squeezing consumers dry. If they cared a $99 kinect would have been a start.

I'd love to see some real steps from Microsoft and this stuff doesn't help. Then again I don't see $399 ones helping in a world of $399 ps4s ($360 on eBay new) so if that's helped and they're happy with their position then maybe I can't argue.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Pretty much everything.

More specific. It can do everything the PS4's camera can do, plus it supports substantially more things. It works in every app, can be used for searching, "gaming", and watching movies.

I'd say owning a Xbone without a kinect is akin to having a car with no seats. It'll get you to where you want to go, but having the seats makes it substantially more comfortable. I could say, that if my Xbone didn't have a Kinect, it'd get a lot less use out of me. As it is, it's cool to load a video on YT or Machinima while you wait for a game to connect/load. Even still, I don't ever use the Camera on the PS4 as I don't really find a conventient use for it the same way the Bones works.

Playstation camera is worth it for visual sign in for me plus game launching due to the stupid long list of icons on the dashboard. (Also you don't need to say the full name unlike Xbox). I think they could add app controls really easily because apps use less power than games - so eg pause/play etc. they already have 'playstation home' in games so it is always listening.

I guess MS really doesn't want people to buy Kinect separately, or at all for that matter. That's some interesting pricing there, it's clear that no one at MS is even pretending to care about increasing Kinect install base anymore, they would rather avoid taking a loss on every unit sold since they are now trailing so badly in worldwide sales.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

There are literally only two things I do with kinect that PS4 camera can't do. Turn the Xbox on, and pause live TV. The first one would be nice to have, and the second is obvious because it doesn't have live TV passthrough.

I can
- launch games (arguably with more flexibility in naming than Xbox - assassins creed is enough rather the assassins creed 4 black flag. I was expecting Xbox to make me say TM at the end)
- go back to the home screen from a game
- take a screenshot (Xbox can't do)
- grab a video clip
- turn the PS4 off

Yes I realise there are other features kinect has, but those are the ones I use the most. Also for me at least, the Xbox OS is still too kinect reliant, so doing some things with a controller is still too difficult (record a video clip, unsnap to name two major ones)

JesseDeya

Banned
I do have one actually (not a Logitech, but a decently advanced one). But the thing is a universal remote is meant to control everything, while kinect assumes that you have an Xbox One running. In those conditions, the only things relevant to control are those linked to that activity. Even if I could control my 360 from my One, why would I want to do that ?
Yes in theory it would be great to have all those features without turning on the Xbox, but it's just not possible. So for that scenario, what you need is just a universal remote.
I wouldn't mind additional features and customization of course, but right now the IR blaster is covering 99% of the needs, it's not the part that requires the most improvement.

No, Xbox One doesn't operate in isolation, in fact it's design to be the focal point. Here is a simple example of how its design seriously limited the utility of the Kinect IR blaster.

"Xbox On"

- Xbox turns on, Kinect turns TV and receiver on, sets them to HDMI 1 each.

"Xbox Watch TV"

- Kinect turns cable box on and shows HDMI input.

- Now you want to use your (insert anything here, 360, Apple TV, Roku etc).

- Pick up Universal Remote, press "Use (insert device here)".

- Universal Remote thinks everything is off (last known state), turns TV and receiver off instead of on. Sends signal to change receiver to HDMI 2, which is missed as it's now off.

- Curse a lot, spend time unfucking the situation with other remotes or Universal Remote help function. Finally get to use (insert device here).

- Now you want to use the Xbox again.

"Xbox On"

- Nothing happens as the Xbox One is still on. You use your Universal Remote to force the receiver back to HDMI 1 and wonder WTF you even bothered setting Kinect up in the first place.

"Xbox Off"

- Everything turns off, except (insert device here).

- You hit "Off" on the Universal Remote, which still thinks the receiver and TV are on.

- TV and receiver turn back on. You grab Kinect and throw it out the window.

The only other work around, is to completely power down anytime you want to do something else ("Xbox turn off"), and then completely power back on again with a Universal remote. Madness!!

--------

Now if they actually improved the functionality of Kinect and added scripting and custom control, you could have just said:

"Xbox, play 360" and it would happily change the receiver to HDMI 2 for you. It would also be ready to switch to something else whenever you were done.

FeiRR

Banned
Playstation camera is worth it for visual sign in for me plus game launching due to the stupid long list of icons on the dashboard.

Voice control on PS4 works with any mic input. I still haven't justified spending money on the camera, maybe because I'm not interested in dancing naked online with a toy robot floating near my head.

crinale

I don't think ppl are saying $150 is overpriced for a tech you are getting, but I still think charging $150 to an add-on sounds a bit too steep to customers. This would turn off developers even further away from Kinect 2.0, but I guess MS decided to not to burn through their cash to make it standard.

Chobel

If anything it's more "return to the status quo" with Kinect.

All of Microsoft's actions over the past year has basically been "make shit exactly like how it was on the 360. Remember the 360 guys? You liked that right?"

Except in 360 era, MS at least were putting effort in creating Kinect games, some will argue it was way too much effort that MS neglected non-Kinect games.
This time, not so much.

Top Bottom