• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
xfactor said:
Capcom exist in RE3 (above door)
185.jpg
Wait, what am I supposed to be seeing, exactly?

Tntnnbltn

Fantastical said:
This isn't true unless your talking about using it with a 0 :/ It originated on IGN, didn't it? I remember reading a whole article on it.
Did a google search and found this article (it's Stiq of Joy citing Wikipedia... this is bound to be reliable!)

http://www.joy stiq.com/2006/09/15/megaton-the-story-behind-the-meme/ said:
It was a big week for Nintendo and the gamers that enjoy the company's offerings. Was it a "Megaton" week? That's subjective. But it's interesting to note our culture's understanding of the term, and not just for Nintendo related announcements. So where did the Megaton meme come from? Wikipedia explains:

"Megaton is a meme among Nintendo fans that resulted from a vastly over-hyped rumored announcement around 2002. Individuals on the Gaming-Age Forums uncovered an article from Japanese magazine JUMP! that mentioned in one of its pages that Nintendo had a very big announcement to make... such that it could make their GameCube console a bestseller worldwide... Eventually it came out that the Japanese magazine that had reported the Megaton in the first place had merely been hyping up an unannounced game... leaving Nintendo fans with something of an anticlimax."

To this day, Nintendo fans, gadget jockeys, and internet users still draw on the term "Megaton" in reference to potential industry-shaking news. Though the idea behind the word will most likely never live up to the hype, the expression is here to stay.

MNC

I love the Sonic level tie-ins (is that the correct term to use?) and how it all creates one big picture. Awesome.

JaseMath

Mega Man II
In an otherwise tiled background, the big dipper can be seen right before the door to Crash Man. Played this game a thousand times, but I just noticed this today. :lol

CrashDipper.jpg

JasonMCG said:
Mega Man II
In an otherwise tiled background, the big dipper can be seen right before the door to Crash Man. Played this game a thousand times, but I just noticed this today. :lol

CrashDipper.jpg

............i never knew that..............

Azure J

The entire Mega Man 9 soundtrack borrows at least one major sample from Mega Man 2's OST. Also, Flash In The Dark (first Wily Stage) has a "His World" (Sonic 360 Theme) riff at 0:31 ~ 0:42. Crazy, huh?

Rpgmonkey

JasonMCG said:
Mega Man II

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k287/JasonMCG/Gaming/CrashDipper.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wow. :o

JasonMCG said:
Sweet my fact got posted on that popular Nintendo blog (that I think is forbidden to talk about...)! :D
That was a good spot, Im glad you found it. Such a nugget of info would have been lost in abyss without you :^)

*gives firm handshake*

NimbusD

Dragmire said:
I've read much of this thread and also searched it twice to see if this was posted. But I just found this out from a friend. A lot of people may already know it but here goes......

Warp Whistle sound
Ocarina of Time intro music

The Ocarina of Time intro starts with the warp whistle theme (which is also the sound of the flute from Zelda on NES and I think LTTP). Mind = blown. I write music and somehow I never put that together. Koji Kondo is brilliant. I remember thinking it was a strange song for the flute when I was young but he made a beautiful song out of it.

Also, wow.

Holy shit, that's effing genius!

I saw someone mention that you can use the bottle to reflect Ganon's magic in OOT. You can also reflect Aghanim's magic in A Link to the Past with the bug net. In fact, I thought this was the only way to reflect it until just recently when I saw my friend playing this part of the game using the master sword to beat him.

Upon reflection, that seems like the more logical weapon choice. :(

Steeven

zoukka said:
That I had already seen. But try this! Imagine the big purple dude as a monkey... the line at the bottom is the mouth and the round hole his nose. I can't unsee it anymore :(

6457082104824c907dbc60.jpg

:lol I never looked at it that way. I always thought that bottom line was it's neck and the 'monkey nose' was it's mouth. Funny thing is I CAN unsee it, I have the best of both worlds.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Probably already discussed, but both Robo's Theme and Never Gonna Give You Up are lifted basslines and drums from "Trapped", an obscure '85 dance song.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Kade from Far Cry Instincts/Predator/err the Wii one not only shares my name but looks sorta like me, acts like me and even has the same background as me. For one, we're both half asian/caucasian. And yeah, I know someone at Ubisoft. OMG!!!

2h33ihf.jpg

Dali

Kadey said:
Kade from Far Cry Instincts/Predator/err the Wii one not only shares my name but looks sorta like me, acts like me and even has the same background as me. For one, we're both half asian/caucasian. And yeah, I know someone at Ubisoft. OMG!!!
comparison pics or gtfo.

zalemale

have no example to actually prove it (props if someone can) but,

in the original conker for the n64, there's a part where conker is on this hover bike riding over lava - I can't remember 100% but I think it's around the dinosaur / colloseum themed area. Anway, the music for the hover bike portion is suspisciously very similar to one of Eddie Gordo's theme (remixes) in Tekken 3. Not sure if it's in the xbox version as I've never played it though.

admartian

xfactor said:
Capcom exist in RE3 (above door)
185.jpg

Todd McFarlane and his company appeared in RE3, and they didn't produce any RE action figures at all if I am not wrong (the big name action figures companies to make RE figures were Moby Dicks, Palisades Toy and currently Neca). The screenshot is taken from the French version of RE3. I guess I must be one of the five people that noticed this.
264.jpg

I'm shitting bricks now

I've played that game to death for years and only now I see it

Stike

djtiesto said:
I honestly don't see it...

But on that note:

Felix - Don't You Want Me (a progressive house song from 1992)

Super Turrican stage 1
Sorry, have to fix this one - who stole from whom?

The tune from Turrican is also present in Turrican 1 or 2 (not sure) on the Amiga. The games came out 1990 and 1991 respectively, so the dance song should be the "copy".

ALSO I dont think that they are massively similar if you listen closely.

djtiesto said:
I honestly don't see it...

But on that note:

Felix - Don't You Want Me (a progressive house song from 1992)

Super Turrican stage 1

Huh, interesting... wait, the song (Felix's 'Don't You Want Me" is from 1992? Hmm... that song, the Turrican level 1 theme, is one of the series' most famous songs, and definitely was not first in 1993's Super Turrican for the SNES.

For instance, here it is in 1990's Turrican II for the Amiga (go to 8:00 to get to the start of the first level). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW4CDWyhxLw

The Turrican 2 level 1 song isn't exactly identical to the Super/Mega Turrican level 1 themes, but it's more than close enough for the similarity to be obvious. And that was several years before that other song.

If someone was being copied there, it was Chris Huelsbeck, I'd say.

jaypah

Tntnnbltn said:
From another (now locked) thread...

finally!!! i knew if this thread stayed open long enough my mind would be really blown. holy shit. are we sure that was there the whole time?

Kirk

Tntnnbltn said:
From another (now locked) thread...

That is the first truly mindblowing thing to come along here in quite a while. Bravo. If you're skeptical:

45bfaf65d730d19b7fbacea52de0d2e0.jpg

He's in the PAL version too.

The Hermit

That guy was banned because everyone posting there couldn't see it and he used the weekend gaf argument...

Anyway, yeah at first I though it was just E.Honda´s attack, but it´s clearly Dhalsim.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Baiano19 said:
That guy was banned because everyone posting there couldn't see it and he used the weekend gaf argument...

Anyway, yeah at first I though it was just E.Honda´s attack, but it´s clearly Dhalsim.
I think he needs to be unbanned. I did indeed shit a brick.

Gozan

Anasui Kishibe said:
The Sega Genesis/Mega-Drive controller has the exact same pin layout and connector as the Atari 2600. You can actually plug a Genesis controller into an Atari 2600 without any modifications at all and use it as normal

That's because the connectors were an industry standard:

Wikipedia said:
From the late 1970s and all through the '80s, DE9s without the pair of fastening screws were almost universal as game controller connectors on video game consoles and home computers, after being made a de facto standard by the use of such game ports in the Atari 2600 game console and the Atari 8-bit family of computers. Computer systems which use them include Atari, Commodore, Amiga, Amstrad, and SEGA systems, among others, but exclude Apple and PC systems and most newer game consoles. Used in the standard way, they support one digital joystick and one pair of analog paddles; on many systems a computer mouse or a light pen is also supported through these sockets, however these mice are not usually exchangeable between different systems. DE9 connectors are also used for some token ring and other computer networks. DA15 is used for Ethernet Attachment Unit Interface.

Top Bottom