• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Azure J

Back with another Sonic Rush note of interest. Seems Naganuma liked the idea of mixing his older works into Sonic Rush's OST and it shows all over the place. For example, Right There, Ride On is actually a faster paced version of Rock It On from Jet Set/Grind Radio. It even borrows the same "gut sounding slow deepish guitar sound" for the catch (sorry I couldn't describe it better, but if you have a good enough ear for this stuff, you'll catch it):

- Right There, Ride On! (Pay attention to the catch in the first :24 seconds and listen to how it repeats)

- Rock It On (It's in the intro too, but it isn't obvious until :37 onward)

Mind blown yet? :lol

doogles said:
Mother Brain is almost directly above the Morph Ball. Like you're coming full circle or something.

From this huge map.

2yua9ex.png
For some reason this one blew me away the most. I drove home thinking about it yesterday.

A specific piece of extremely popular video game music is often called by the wrong name. In fact, the wrong name turns up almost five times as much Google hits as the right one.

It's...the song "Stickerbush Symphony (Bramble Blast)" from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

It is often called "Stickerbrush Symphony", although that title makes no sense whatsoever. Or were it brushes that killed you in the brambles level?

15d6eyd.gif

hokahey

Koshiro said:
I remember seeing the first part of the (terrible) Shenmue Online trailer that was at ChinaJoy, but I don't recall seeing the second part: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaUvDUYRsY <-- SPOILERS.

This basically shows you what was going to happen in Shenmue after 2:
transporting into the past, Lan Di destroying the world with a giant dragon, Sha Hua being transported with her fancy old-style Chinese clothing
... it's all there.

Gahh!!! want now!!!!

Cheerilee

Prime Blue said:
A specific piece of extremely popular video game music is often called by the wrong name. In fact, the wrong name turns up almost five times as much Google hits as the right one.

It's...the song "Stickerbush Symphony (Bramble Blast)" from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest.

It is often called "Stickerbrush Symphony", although that title makes no sense whatsoever. Or were it brushes that killed you in the brambles level?
A bramble is a kind of prickly shrub. If you live in the country, they can get stuck to your clothes and give you some minor scratches, and trying to un-stick yourself will probably just get you scratched up some more (but you have to do it sooner or later).

"Stickerbush" is literally "sticker bush" which is basically the same thing as a bramble. A bush that sticks to you.

When you think "brush" you probably think paint brush or hair brush, but brush is also defined as a dense growth of bushes, like you may have heard of underbrush.

So while "Stickerbrush Symphony" might not be it's technical name (I wouldn't know, maybe an official source listed it as such at one point), it doesn't not make sense, and means basically the same thing.

Chao said:
Not really a shocking fact. But I was playing some Sonic 1 a couple of days ago and did the select stage cheat. Then I selected Scrap Brain Zone 3.

When you think about Scrap Brain, you think about this:

scrapbrain11.png

Buy honestly, how many of you remember Scrap Brain Zone 3 looking like this?:

scrapbrain31.png

When I saw it I was like: THE FUCK, WHERE AM I. Played Sonic 1 plenty of times since MD era, but I think I've never played Scrap Brain Zone 3 since then. Always selected the level I wanted to play, never going trough the whole game.

Every act of Scrap brain zone looks entirely different from one another.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
tedtropy said:
la.gif

I'm not the only one that just saw a dick, right?
:lol :lol :lol

Princess Skittles said:
25sls0g.jpg

Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II for Gameboy Advance, West City, Electronics Shop.

Starting on the top left and going counterclockwise:

Final Fantasy II, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, (Unknown).

Sorry for the poor picture. ;_;
I always wondered what games there were, but I could never make them out. Thanks.

Struct09

Drkirby said:
In Link's Awakening, the sword and the rod use the same sprite, just flipped and recolored:
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l133/Drkirby/Random/la.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thread continues to deliver

The Hermit

Dragmire said:
I've read much of this thread and also searched it twice to see if this was posted. But I just found this out from a friend. A lot of people may already know it but here goes......

Warp Whistle sound
Ocarina of Time intro music

The Ocarina of Time intro starts with the warp whistle theme (which is also the sound of the flute from Zelda on NES and I think LTTP). Mind = blown. I write music and somehow I never put that together. Koji Kondo is brilliant. I remember thinking it was a strange song for the flute when I was young but he made a beautiful song out of it.

Also, wow.

I said holy crap!

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Here's one I noticed out of the blue while I was looking through my game collection today.

box_128241.jpg

Look at the Starman's visor. :eek:

:lol :lol Holy fucking shit!! It´s NESS!

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Talladega Knight said:
What are you? 12? 13?

I'll have you know I'm 26 and a half! Woes on you the day you can no longer giggle at unintended penii.

Owensboro

tedtropy said:
I'll have you know I'm 26 and a half! Woes on you the day you can no longer giggle at unintended penii.

Quoted for truth. I've said it for a long time, the day that I no longer think farts are funny is that day I want to die.

It may not be the same thing, but farts and penii are in the same ballpark at least.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I somehow only just now realized this, but the dude you buy the big bomb from in the Dark World in A Link to the Past (Zelda 3!) makes the same sound as when you bring up and close the item select/Start screen. His weird breathing is just a recycled sound effect. The bomb guy in question can be seen about a minute in here, although he's difficult to hear over the nasal narrator in this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N26wCiSticc

You can also here said Start menu sounds less than a minute in. Wish I could find a better video.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not exactly mind blowing, but Shadowrun for the Genesis had a few Easter Eggs in the form of clients that hired you for runs.

-One was named Alan Turing, which is the name of the man many feel is the father of modern computer science, and for whom the "Turing Test" was named.
-One was named Billy Gibson, short for "William Gibson," author of Neuromancer, the novel which was to Cyberpunk what LotR was to fantasy.
-One was named Nero Manser, an obvious reference to the aforementioned novel.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
AzureJericho said:
Back with another Sonic Rush note of interest. Seems Naganuma liked the idea of mixing his older works into Sonic Rush's OST and it shows all over the place. For example, Right There, Ride On is actually a faster paced version of Rock It On from Jet Set/Grind Radio. It even borrows the same "gut sounding slow deepish guitar sound" for the catch (sorry I couldn't describe it better, but if you have a good enough ear for this stuff, you'll catch it):

- Right There, Ride On! (Pay attention to the catch in the first :24 seconds and listen to how it repeats)

- Rock It On (It's in the intro too, but it isn't obvious until :37 onward)

Mind blown yet? :lol
You got me! I've listened to both the JSR and Sonic Rush soundtracks countless times and never noticed that - awesome!

How about this, just realised today: Kelly Bailey and Tetsuya Shibata seem to dig from the same bank of samples...

Disrupted Original from HL2:Ep1+2

Secret Mission from DMC4 (kicks in after about 30 seconds)

Gotta love that punchy low-fi beat :D

ruby_onix said:
So while "Stickerbrush Symphony" might not be it's technical name (I wouldn't know, maybe an official source listed it as such at one point), it doesn't not make sense, and means basically the same thing.

I think I know where that one originated from. The SPC rip of DKC2 on Snesmusic.org (it might have appeared on Zopar's Domain first actually), which I think was fairly popular at the time, listed the song as "Stickerbrush". Someone made the typo once and it just spread, so people started referring to it as such.

dave_d

Well here's one I was thinking about recently. The first successful video game system, the Atari 2600, only has 128 bytes of ram. To give an idea how little memory that actually is if you took all the memory from every 2600 ever sold(about 30 million) and put it all together you'd end up with about 3.5 GB of RAM. (IE less than what alot of us on this board have in our PC's right now.)

KTallguy

Banned
Koshiro said:
I remember seeing the first part of the (terrible) Shenmue Online trailer that was at ChinaJoy, but I don't recall seeing the second part: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaUvDUYRsY <-- SPOILERS.

This basically shows you what was going to happen in Shenmue after 2:
transporting into the past, Lan Di destroying the world with a giant dragon, Sha Hua being transported with her fancy old-style Chinese clothing
... it's all there.

Holy fucking shit.
Man :(

MNC

zoukka said:
That I had already seen. But try this! Imagine the big purple dude as a monkey... the line at the bottom is the mouth and the round hole his nose. I can't unsee it anymore :(
WAAAAAAAAAAT, you mean I wasn't supposed to see it like that?!?

ImperialConquest said:
I'm sure I'm posting the obvious for 90% of you guys... BUUUUT, Ryu & Ken's Hadouken attacks are actually their hands in energy form. Look at their hands and at the center of the energy ball.

Though it was there to see in the original SFII, it wasn't too easy to spot unless you were looking for it. It became less obvious in later games and was even completely dropped in some later games. However, they made it as obvious as possible in the last pic:
hadoken.jpg

SFII06-731191.jpg

street_fighter2_hd.jpg

/Late to thread with old news, lol.

HOLY MOTHERTRUCKING SHIT!

This is the first one since the cloud/bush that has really blown my mind. I'm shocked that the tanooki shadow got more responses than this.

Donkey Thong said:
I'm shocked that the tanooki shadow got more responses than this.

why? I'm actually surprised so many people never noticed the hadouken hands

anyway, fun fact in Snake Rattle'n Roll (NES)

afiucp.gif
rbgqz6.gif
24qldo3.gif

SMB/ Duck Hunt cart without the seal of quality (wat), not a pirated copy. Apparently some carts shipped without it

xanadh.jpg

if you look around Donkey Kong's treehouse in DK64, you see this

ft0r5.jpg

a red girder from the original DK
Cranky's phonograph from DKC
a painting of a dolphin. The Gamecube was code-named Dolphin

(thanks to the awesome flyingomelette)

Drkirby said:
In Link's Awakening, the sword and the rod use the same sprite, just flipped and recolored:
la.gif

What? That's not true at all! You're right that the two were based off of the same template, but they aren't identical, obviously. If you look at the ends of the sword, you see the last two black pixels on the end of the sword stick out on their own, beyond the lines made by the two edges of the sword. Both weapons have the same number of light interior pixels, however, so as a result, the sword is one row of pixels longer than the rod. Similarly, the corners of Link's hands (the two edge pixels of the black border on the hand, on the end that holds the sword) are missing, when compared to the rod. There are still four 'skin' pixels, but only two black border pixels on the end, not four like with the staff.

However, the rod has completely straight 90 degree edges on everything. The end of Link's hand is filled in, with all four pixels of the edge between the hand and sword colored black here, not only two like with the sword. In addition, the end of the staff has a flat end, with two fewer light-colored interior pixels (one less rows of pixels in the item) and a straight line of four black end pixels on the tip.

What? With sprite art, such differences matter! :)

In Final Fight Cody has an infinite.
Basically all you do is do the first two punches of his string, turn around(away from the enemy you're infiniting) and whiff a punch, then do the first two punches again, repeat until boss dies.

Here's the kicker though.
In Street Fighter Alpha 3 one of Cody's super moves has him doing just that!

Cody's final fight infinite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsLRfJQDJPQ

I can't seem to find a decent vid of Cody's SFA3 super but do his QCF QCF+P one and boom. His first few attacks will show him doing his FF infinite.

Gaf invented the word "attache rate" when we were translating Japanese articles through Babelfish like 7 years ago and started using the mis-translated equivalent of "tie-in ratio" as industry norm

Now dozens of people in the actual gaming industry and journalists use it thinking it's actually industry language :lol :lol :lol

Gaf also invented Megat0n :lol

Gaf also invented other neologisms that don't come to my mind right this minute

[Nintex]

Anasui Kishibe said:
if you look around Donkey Kong's treehouse in DK64, you see this

ft0r5.jpg

a red girder from the original DK
Cranky's phonograph from DKC
a painting of a dolphin. The Gamecube was code-named Dolphin

(thanks to the awesome flyingomelette)
There are tons of Dolphin references in various games:
Delphino Island - Super Mario Sunshine
"zzz... perhaps I'll ride on a Dolphin - Sabreman in Banjo Tooie
Olimar's ship is called Dolphin - Pikmin
There's a Dolphin on the wall in Orca's house - Wind Waker

xfactor

Banned
Capcom exist in RE3 (above door)
185.jpg

Todd McFarlane and his company appeared in RE3, and they didn't produce any RE action figures at all if I am not wrong (the big name action figures companies to make RE figures were Moby Dicks, Palisades Toy and currently Neca). The screenshot is taken from the French version of RE3. I guess I must be one of the five people that noticed this.
264.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Orin GA said:
Chrono_Trigger.jpg

Marle/Nadia is using the wrong magic on the Box Art
:lol

Top Bottom