• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Justin Bailey said:
Really? Y'all never noticed that?
seriously. I was 12 when it came out and I noticed it on first boot. come on.
Guybrush Threepwood said:
There are people who didn't notice Miles Per Hour?

Really? Really?
I noticed it when it was posted earlier in this thread, yeah.
One more

Miles Prower = Miles Per Hour

I am honestly still overwhelmed at how many people didn't catch this.
;)
Monroeski said:
I find all the people not noticing the Miles Prower = Miles Per Hour thing even funnier due to the fact that it was already mentioned in this thread back in January -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9497942&postcount=468

:D
and that's why I should read the entire thread before posting.

Dali said:
Instead of bitching because you choose to go against the grain why not figure it out yourself? The default is 50 posts per page so page 70 would be post 3500+. This is all irrelevant though as the title is referencing post #70, not the page.

edit: beaten
God, I seriously thought that was mod abuse intended as a wild goose chase, playing on the idea early in the thread that there hadn't been actual "mind-blowing" stuff posted.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
It's "Prowler," you nubs, not "Prower." Which makes it a little easier to understand why people didn't get the "per hour" thing.

bune duggy said:
seriously. I was 12 when it came out and I noticed it on first boot. come on.
I noticed it when it was posted earlier in this thread, yeah.
;)
and that's why I should read the entire thread before posting.

holy shit. how did I never notice this?

If I had three wishes, I would wish for:

1. The inability to see the FedEx arrow thing
2. The inability to see the Mario cloudbushes thing
3. The inability to ever see something unseeable ever again or see anything that is currently unseeable.

Oh, and speaking of unseeable things, have you guys ever noticed Mr. Mimal? He's the chef in the United States map.

united-states-map.jpg

Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana

OH my goodness....I am LATE to this thread!!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
samusx said:
The Japanese legendary shape-shifting Tanooki is said to put leaves on its heads and to chant prior to transformation. In some legends, the leaf is the sacred lotus plant of Buddhism. When Mario gets a leaf, he gains pointy ears and the tail of a Tanooki.
mario_plus_tanuki.bmp
tanooki_anim.gif

“Tanuki” is the Japanese word for ‘raccoon’ (Nyctereutes procyonoides). They have been part of Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is a mischievous master of disguise and shapeshifting.

So it's kind of strange because in Mario 3 there is a normal raccoon suit, and also a tanuki suit. But tanuki means raccoon, so there are two different raccoon suits. Kind of interesting.
Why do tanuki always have such enormous testicles?

Also, I remember learning Tails' real name from my Sonic the Comic days. Good times :)

KingDirk

B-Genius said:
Why do tanuki always have such enormous testicles?

If it bothers you, never watch the Studio Ghibli film Pom Poko. It's all about tanukis and it does not shy away from commenting on...those.

Seriously, at some point a group starts singing (I think these are right):
"My golden balls are swaying/
But there's no wind/
A child walks on by/
And swings his in reply."

Also, a great scene where an older tanuki lectures a group of younger boy tanuki. They're sitting on a straw mat, and at the end of the lecture, the old man says: "And what do you think you're sitting on? They're my testicles!"

It's actually an awesome movie, though, watch it.

I don't know if this had been brought up already or not, but I just learned that the person behind the WoW based webcomic "Messycow" was also the person hired to do the concept art for the PSN game Fat Princess.

messyheader.gif

FatPrincessTitle.jpg

Gwanatu T

RurouniZel said:

That's plain awesome. I've seen the other two before, but never this one. I really wish they would release that version in addition to the one they already have as sort of a side-story or something for the Wii. It would be mega awesome to see that on there. Also, does anyone else get a distinctly Eternal Darkness feel from that video?

Also, TheSonicRetard, you're the freakin man. Those are some seriously awesome things that I definitely didn't know about Sonic. It's funny to hear about the tricks that developers used to have to do to get things working like they wanted, and that includes basically every generation other than the one we're currently in really.

Chris Michael said:
A lot of you know that Starfox Adventures started as Dinosaur Planet - a game concept completely made by Rare. There's even beta shots out there of the elusive Dinosaur Planet.

And it should have stayed as Dinosaur Planet because that game was trash and Star Fox has gone downhill ever since.

Dr.Hadji

In Pikmin2 when you switch between Olimar and the President, Olimar says his name "Olimar" and the President says "shachou". Shachou being the Japanese word for President.
The Shachou part being the thing people may not know, maybe.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Dali

samusx said:
The Japanese legendary shape-shifting Tanooki is said to put leaves on its heads and to chant prior to transformation. In some legends, the leaf is the sacred lotus plant of Buddhism. When Mario gets a leaf, he gains pointy ears and the tail of a Tanooki.
mario_plus_tanuki.bmp
tanooki_anim.gif

“Tanuki” is the Japanese word for ‘raccoon’ (Nyctereutes procyonoides). They have been part of Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is a mischievous master of disguise and shapeshifting.

So it's kind of strange because in Mario 3 there is a normal raccoon suit, and also a tanuki suit. But tanuki means raccoon, so there are two different raccoon suits. Kind of interesting.
Tanuki is the word for the raccoon dog. It isn't the same thing as a raccoon.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
samusx said:

Nyctereutes procyonoides is not a raccoon, and isn't even in the same taxonomical family. It is the "Raccoon Dog", named after its resemblance to the raccoon.

Edit: Doh, beaten. :(

Jackson

I think the most shocking thing I've ever found out is that Birdo is a cross dressing male... that kinda blew my mind when I found that out... I always thought it was a girl... and the craziest part was it's always been this way from the character's conception on SMB2... it says it IN the manual! nutty...

yoshi-and-birdo.jpg

IT'S A TRAP!! BAIL OUT NOW YOSHI!

Jackson said:
I think the most shocking thing I've ever found out is that Birdo is a cross dressing male... that kinda blew my mind when I found that out... I always thought it was a girl... and the craziest part was it's always been this way from the character's conception on SMB2... it says it IN the manual! nutty...

Well they have kinda gone back on that since then. It was supposedly more of a NoA decision for the translation for some strange reason. Birdo (aka Catherine) was always female in Japan anyway.

Well actually according to wikipedia, it was always a male in japan? now i'm more confused.

Azure J

I'm surprised so many people didn't notice the "3" symbol in Mario Bros. 3. Also, mind blown on the "Sonic 1 takes place in one day" comment.

ImNotLikeThem said:
Well they have kinda gone back on that since then. It was supposedly more of a NoA decision for the translation for some strange reason. Birdo (aka Catherine) was always female in Japan anyway.

Well actually according to wikipedia, it was always a male in japan? now i'm more confused.

Well in the Mario Strikers Charged manual, it refers to Birdo as 'he'.

Totz

I'm not sure this is right or if no one noticed it, but TOM NOOK is a raccoon, right? TOM NOOK AND TANUKI are somewhat, kinda similar, especially in Japanese (I hope).

... yeah, that's all I've got.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
If I had three wishes, I would wish for:

1. The inability to see the FedEx arrow thing
2. The inability to see the Mario cloudbushes thing
3. The inability to ever see something unseeable ever again or see anything that is currently unseeable.

Oh, and speaking of unseeable things, have you guys ever noticed Mr. Mimal? He's the chef in the United States map.

united-states-map.jpg

Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Yeah I remember learning about Mimal in 5th grade geography. We also snickered quite a bit about adding Tennessee to the bunch.

Jackson said:

yoshi-and-birdo.jpg

Birdo is Nintendo's Poison?

emilio

The glowing dot on the Ugly Heads (from Mega Man 2 Airman's stage) is the small energy item, mirrored and with a different blinking.

mm2.gif

zoukka

That I had already seen. But try this! Imagine the big purple dude as a monkey... the line at the bottom is the mouth and the round hole his nose. I can't unsee it anymore :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
emilio said:
The glowing dot on the Ugly Heads (from Mega Man 2 Airman's stage) is the small energy item, mirrored and with a different blinking.

[pic]

o_O

o_O

O_O!

@zoukka: you blow my mind too. Do you think they're really supposed to look like that though? I wonder...

Kunan

zoukka said:
That I had already seen. But try this! Imagine the big purple dude as a monkey... the line at the bottom is the mouth and the round hole his nose. I can't unsee it anymore :(
NOOOOOOooooooo

Seiken said:
Holy bajeezus, the mario ones keep on coming

Zoe

samusx said:
mario_plus_tanuki.bmp
tanooki_anim.gif

A "tanuki" is actually a raccoon dog, not a raccoon.

Edit: wtf, beaten. Twice! I swear I checked too!

zoukka said:
That's the way I've always seen it... what's it supposed to be?

Ledsen

zoukka said:

vadernooooooooooooooo.gif

The round hole is the mouth :( The round hole is the mouth :(

miyuru

It's not videogame related, but you can all probably try this out right now:

Did you know that you can use your headphones/earphones as a microphone, without any modification?

Simply plug in your headphones into the microphone port on your computer, and talk into the headphones. Only one of the headphones (left or right) will work.

I'm not sure if this works on all headphones but it seems to!

Even cooler, you can use a microphone as a small speaker in the same fashion.

Top Bottom