• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller

Nabs

Is there a way to get both my DS4 and DS3 to work within the same game or a program that allows you to use both DS3 and DS4 controllers? If this was already asked an answered just link me to the post.

I had a wired xbox controller but it broke and I've tried various programs even uninstalling and reinstalling different progams. I can get them both working (using different programs), but both controllers are detected as player 1 when I finally do get it to work.

Try the program wilfare linked for your DS4 and keep using whatever you're currently using for your DS3.

Nabs

You guys should post in the thread wilfare posted. If it's a widespread issue, it could help others.

drotahorror

Alright, just got a bluetooth adapter and whatnot to use my ds4 wirelessly on PC. I'm using the program DS4Tool and using generic windows bluetooth drivers.

How do I unpair my DS4 and use it for my PS4 now? Seems like I've tried everything short of hitting the reset button on the DS4. I did install some software that came with the adapter and it did let me turn off my DS4 but I couldn't use those drivers with the program. I don't see a disconnect button for the generic MS drivers. Ugh this is driving me nuts.

Didn't pay attention but I guess I figured it out. There was a stop button in DS4tool, hit that and then had to turn the ps4 on via it's power button and then the controller started working.

Alright, just got a bluetooth adapter and whatnot to use my ds4 wirelessly on PC. I'm using the program DS4Tool and using generic windows bluetooth drivers.

How do I unpair my DS4 and use it for my PS4 now? Seems like I've tried everything short of hitting the reset button on the DS4. I did install some software that came with the adapter and it did let me turn off my DS4 but I couldn't use those drivers with the program. I don't see a disconnect button for the generic MS drivers. Ugh this is driving me nuts.

Didn't pay attention but I guess I figured it out. There was a stop button in DS4tool, hit that and then had to turn the ps4 on via it's power button and then the controller started working.
You do that that. Then re-pair it with your ps4.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm pretty sure you can also just turn on your PS4 manually and connect the controller with USB for it to pair with it again.

I'm getting a weird error with the DS4Windows tool.

When I connect my controller to my pc via bluetooth and run the program it says:
"Index was outside the bounds of the array."

Anybody know what this means or how I can fix it?

EDIT: Grr, apparently it means my bluetooth driver stack is incompatible.
Does anyone know of any bluetooth drivers I could try to download for my dongle? I have a Cirago bluetooth adapter that uses Motorola drivers.

Paertan

It was super easy to pair my controllers to my laptop by Bluetooth the first time. Then I used them on PS4. Trying to reconnect them was a bit harder.

Found the easiest way was to remove them completely and do everything from scratch again.

Still. Works great! Now I just need to get more 4 player local coop games for my PC.

KyleCross

So what's the best wrapper to use at the moment? There's like... 4 right now, and it's confusing.

I just tried out Jays2 and I'm getting heavy input lag.

KyleCross

^ I'd like to now this as well. Just got a DS4 today and while DS4 is cool, it's far from perfect.

Well turns out it probably wasn't the DS4. I tried testing the Xbone controller too with the exact same result, turns out the game I was testing (The Witcher 2) was giving me slight input lag at High Settings 1080p. Dropping it down to 900p fixed the lag with the Xbone controller so I can only assume using the DS4 would be good now too.

Duran

So I've been able to get my DS4 controller to work when plugged in, and when I simply have BT enabled as a generic controller. But when I try to use the DS4 Xinput Tool, only the touch pad works.

I believe I am using the Microsoft BT stack.

I have no idea what to do, any ideas?

Zukuu

Banned
When I use DS4Tool it still shows "wireless controller" additionally to "360 pad" under windows gamepads. This seems to confuse many games and I cant configure some emulators properly. Never happened with the DS3Tool. I tried disabling the wireless controller, but that disables the 360 pad as well. Is there a way to have only "360 pad" being registered?

stryke

When I use DS4Tool it still shows "wireless controller" additionally to "360 pad" under windows gamepads. This seems to confuse many games and I cant configure some emulators properly. Never happened with the DS3Tool. I tried disabling the wireless controller, but that disables the 360 pad as well. Is there a way to have only "360 pad" being registered?

Look in settings or whatnot and make sure to check "Hide DS4 Controller"

Zukuu

Banned
Look in settings or whatnot and make sure to check "Hide DS4 Controller"
that basically shuts down the program (and the 360 pad) and only shows "wireless controller".

edit: in Jay's version it does... nothing. I hear a "dum dum" from windows but it still shows both controllers

edit:
After restarting it finally worked in jays's version. Still can't pair the DS4 with my Bluetooth dongle tho. I put the DS4 in search mode and my device picks it up, but it fails every time to pair.

Nabs

Setting up your DS4 on your PC is super easy.

Start by downloading DS4Windows (by J2K): http://ds4windows.com/ | Dev thread: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-J2K

Requirements: .net 4.5 or higher

It should be a one or two step install. Once it's done, go to settings and click on "Hide DS4 Controller". You'll want to do this so your computer doesn't think you have two controllers plugged in (a DS4 and an Xbox360 one).

iufanHGM8GNJ7.png

Why J2K? It's actively being developed at the moment, it isn't garbage, and it has some neat features. It's a branch of DS4Windows (which was branched off from DS4Tool). You can follow the developer thread here. You can ask for help, or suggest new features there.

---

So now that you've installed it, what now? You can start by creating a custom profile. With this software, you're able to configure your controller however you'd like. Hate the Option and Share buttons? Cool, move them over to the Touchpad. Want buttons that control your livestream or Shadowplay? You can set that up easily. If you find that you need more buttons, simply check out the Shift Modifier tab. You can use a button press to give you a whole new set of shortcuts. I personally like the Touchpad (Touch, not pressed in) option. He has recently added swipe hotkeys as an option. Swipe up, down, left or right to trigger a button or keyboard press.

The best aspect of custom profiles is Auto Profile switching. Under the Auto Profiles tab you can add a game exe, click the check mark, and assign a profile to it. Now when that game is in focus, it'll swap to that profile. It'll swap back to whatever you were last on once you quit or alt-tab. You can still swap between profiles by using a two finger swipe.

Tip: Disable the touchpad by disabling the Slide option at the bottom of your profile page. Great for games where you'd rather use the touchpad as a button. You can also touch the touchpad and press the guide button to disable the touchpad at any time.

I guess that's it for now. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or run into any problems. Friends don't let friends use DS4Tool.

stryke

Heh earlier this year I had like 3 different DS4tool branches on different computers because I couldn't remember which one to use. DS4Windows had certainly served me well.

dock

I've been really impressed by DS4windows, although I've given up on bluetooth ever working with my laptop.

I really hope that multiple PS4 controllers work.

Nabs

I've been really impressed by DS4windows, although I've given up on bluetooth ever working with my laptop.

I really hope that multiple PS4 controllers work.

The discussion of multiple controllers never really went anywhere in this thread. Let me know if you run into any issues and I'll post about it in that dev thread. I wonder if it's simple problem, like maybe each controller just needs its own profile. Seems possible.

Sajjaja

So which would you guys say is the best method to use the DS4 on the PC?

I used to use my DS3 on PC so I just upgraded the XInputWrapper to accommodate the DS4 as well. But the methods Nabs posted up there seems pretty straight forward and such that I might have to go through the trouble to do it. The Touchpad support is pretty great too.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Went and just used DS4Windows. This shit is great.

Nabs

So which would you guys say is the best method to use the DS4 on the PC?

I used to use my DS3 on PC so I just upgraded the XInputWrapper to accommodate the DS4 as well. But the methods Nabs posted up there seems pretty straight forward and such that I might have to go through the trouble to do it. The Touchpad support is pretty great too.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Went and just used DS4Windows. This shit is great.

iBcexTwbKsGxx.gif

Aon

Any bluetooth dongle would work? Should I avoid a certain type?

Looking to play on windows 7 x64.

It needs to be at least 2.4 and EDR compat. These days 99% of the cheapo dongles you buy off Ebay are 4.0 and support EDR, so no worries there.

Sajjaja

Okay so I've been having consistent problems with DS4Windows, by both developers.

When I boot up my computer, and then DS4Windows, it doesn't pair. I check the log, it's empty. I press the PS button and it will flash white a few times before it goes solid white. And then sometimes Windows ejects the BT device by itself.

Any ideas? It's really fucking annoying.

When I get it to work, it works perfectly fine no problems, but I typically have to uninstall the bluetooth driver and then reinstall to get it to work again. I didn't have these problems with the DS3 Wrapper.

YoodlePro

Isn't it plug and play? I've recently installed Assassin's Creed 2 and just plugged in the DS4 and it worked straight away. Some buttons were swapped but everything worked.

Sajjaja

Isn't it plug and play? I've recently installed Assassin's Creed 2 and just plugged in the DS4 and it worked straight away. Some buttons were swapped but everything worked.

I'm trying to get it to work via bluetooth. It worked before but I don't know wtf is going on....

Nabs

Okay so I've been having consistent problems with DS4Windows, by both developers.

When I boot up my computer, and then DS4Windows, it doesn't pair. I check the log, it's empty. I press the PS button and it will flash white a few times before it goes solid white. And then sometimes Windows ejects the BT device by itself.

Any ideas? It's really fucking annoying.

When I get it to work, it works perfectly fine no problems, but I typically have to uninstall the bluetooth driver and then reinstall to get it to work again. I didn't have these problems with the DS3 Wrapper.

That sounds like it's more of an issue with your BT than anything else. These programs (DS4Tool/Windows) don't mess with your BT device as far as I know.

Have you tried rebooting and then pairing your controller without any extra programs running just to see?

edit: Also, doesn't XinputWrapper overwrite your BT drivers and also the name of the DS4 controller in Windows? I'm guessing you found a way to revert all of that stuff cleanly?

Sajjaja

That sounds like it's more of an issue with your BT than anything else. These programs (DS4Tool/Windows) don't mess with your BT device as far as I know.

Have you tried rebooting and then pairing your controller without any extra programs running just to see?

edit: Also, doesn't XinputWrapper overwrite your BT drivers and also the name of the DS4 controller in Windows? I'm guessing you found a way to revert all of that stuff cleanly?

I think I've managed to fix it. It seems when I first wiped the BT driver from the Xinput wrapper, Windows would install the wrong default BT driver. I had to switch it and for the last few reboots, the BT hasn't been a problem and has been pairing pretty consistently.

Man, I'm confused on this one.

Windows 7-64 User
1. Followed nabs post and installed DS4Windows from his link
2. Installed the DS4 driver from the "Welcome to DS4Windows" screen
3. Installed the 360 driver
4. Plugged in my DS4 via USB
5. ???
6. profit nothing?
7. Rebooted
8. still nada

Log is empty, all controllers shown as disconnected on the Controllers panel. Windows shows a single "wireless controller" is plugged in. That's it.

Any ideas?

If you find that you need more buttons, simply check out the Shift Modifier tab. You can use a button press to give you a whole new set of shortcuts.
Can I program this to make a button change it's own assignment upon being pressed?

Ex: R1 = 1. When I press it, it changes to 2. Once I press 2, it changes back to 1.

This could be useful in games where there are multiple loadouts that can be hotswapped. I can quickly go between my 2 most used loadouts with only one button vs needing one for each loadout.

Is it possible to use the same bluetooth adapter for more than one type of controller (not at the same time), specifically DS4 and Wiimote? Or would I need a separate adapter for each?

Sajjaja

Is it possible to use the same bluetooth adapter for more than one type of controller (not at the same time), specifically DS4 and Wiimote? Or would I need a separate adapter for each?
It doesn't overwrite your Bluetooth drivers so you should be fine. DS4Window that is.

Sajjaja

Okay so I just modded my controller with Xbone sticks and it feels great. But I noticed that my touchpad as a mouse isn't working. I don't know if I pulled something by mistake or what, but I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything.

I slide my finger on the pad and it doesn't move the cursor, but when I go into the DS4Windows controller mapping menu and press the touchpad, it brings up the rebinding menu, so that tells me it's still being detected. Maybe I'm missing an option? Did the settings reset after I updated DS4Windows?

EDIT: I probably pulled a ribbon cable. Not a DS4Windows problem. Nevermind/
EDIT2: Yup, it was.

Josman

Question, is there a way to have the Dualshock 4 automatically connect when I turn on my PC? or to quickly reconnect the controller after it goes idle without having to pair it again?

I have this dongle:
-Asus BT400 bluetooth 4.0 adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ83070/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(with no drivers installed, just windows 8.1)

Having to re-pair it all the time is annoying :(

And also, has anyone here tried it with Super Mario Galaxy? is it possible to use the touchpad as a cursor?

And Nabs thanks for the guide, you've been really helpful

Question, is there a way to have the Dualshock 4 automatically connect when I turn on my PC? or to quickly reconnect the controller after it goes idle without having to pair it again?

I have this dongle:
-Asus BT400 bluetooth 4.0 adapter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ83070/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(with no drivers installed, just windows 8.1)

Having to re-pair it all the time is annoying :(

And also, has anyone here tried it with Super Mario Galaxy? is it possible to use the touchpad as a cursor?

And Nabs thanks for the guide, you've been really helpful

If you're using it with the PC and PS4, you'll have to re-pair it. No way around it I don't think.

If it's exclusive for the PC, you shouldn't have to re-pair it. Just press the PS button after launching the DS4 wrapper (which ever one you're using).

In DS4Windows is there an option I'm missing to disable the touchpad from doing a left click when pressed? I have left and right touchpad clicks set to keyboard keys, with top and multitouch as undefined. Yet, the program will always do the assigned key and a LMB click everytime I press it.

Nabs

In DS4Windows is there an option I'm missing to disable the touchpad from doing a left click when pressed? I have left and right touchpad clicks set to keyboard keys, with top and multitouch as undefined. Yet, the program will always do the assigned key and a LMB click everytime I press it.

Interesting. I'll post about it in the dev thread and ask about it.

Is there a way to make DS4Window or my PC to stop reading the DS4 as both a Wireless Controller and an Xbox 360 controller? I would like my PC to identify the DS4 as an 360 controller and that's it. I got no problems with any other games except RE4 which seems to think I'm playing with both a Wireless and a 360 controller, screwing up the controls of the game.

stryke

Is there a way to make DS4Window or my PC to stop reading the DS4 as both a Wireless Controller and an Xbox 360 controller? I would like my PC to identify the DS4 as an 360 controller and that's it. I got no problems with any other games except RE4 which seems to think I'm playing with both a Wireless and a 360 controller, screwing up the controls of the game.

Look for hide DS4 option in settings.

Look for hide DS4 option in settings.

I tried that but i get an "unhandled exception" error.

Edit #1 I think I fix it. I uninstalled DS4Windows and downloaded what appears to be another cleverly titled DS4Windows program and this one seems to do the trick.

Grums

Neo Member
Hey,

Looking for advice. PS4 Controller vs 360 controller for Windows? I like the PS4 Pad but there seems to be issues with it on windows. How bad are the issues and how awkward is it to get set up?

Thanks.

Nabs

He just put out an update for this. Either run the updater, or click on the update button under Settings.

Version 1.4.0.872
Really fixed the touchpad clicking this time
Small bug fix for first time users

Version 1.4.0.87
Fixed Touchpad still mouse clicking when set to a key
For first time users: The ds4 driver (virtual bus) will silently and automatically install after clicking step one in the setup window

Hey,

Looking for advice. PS4 Controller vs 360 controller for Windows? I like the PS4 Pad but there seems to be issues with it on windows. How bad are the issues and how awkward is it to get set up?

Thanks.

It depends on what you prefer. Do you have access to a PS4 controller? If so, you can just plug it in a give it a try. The program I linked literally has a one button install now, even easier than the stuff I took pics of in my post.

Once you have it set up, it should work in every program a 360 controller does. The only time it's been weird for me has been when I tried to use it wireless. My BT device and my DS4 don't like each other very much, and range is very limited. I hear that modern BT adapters are fine, but I haven't been able to test it out yet.

Grums

Neo Member
It depends on what you prefer. Do you have access to a PS4 controller? If so, you can just plug it in a give it a try. The program I linked literally has a one button install now, even easier than the stuff I took pics of in my post.

Once you have it set up, it should work in every program a 360 controller does. The only time it's been weird for me has been when I tried to use it wireless. My BT device and my DS4 don't like each other very much, and range is very limited. I hear that modern BT adapters are fine, but I haven't been able to test it out yet.

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Not being able to use the wireless is no issue for me. I can basically get a PS4 controller off a friend for the same price as I can get a 360 windows controller. Just trying to decide which to go for, as I like the feel of both.

Does the rumble/vibrate work with the PS4 controller on windows? Also, does the sensitivity feel okay on the anolog sticks, same as they would normally feel on a 360 Controller. or do you need to mess around with settings to get the movement/sensitivity to feel normal if you know what I mean.

Also, I had a quick read that people were connecting the PS4 pad via bluetooth? Have you had any success with this?

Thanks again.

GHG

Man, I'm confused on this one.

Windows 7-64 User
1. Followed nabs post and installed DS4Windows from his link
2. Installed the DS4 driver from the "Welcome to DS4Windows" screen
3. Installed the 360 driver
4. Plugged in my DS4 via USB
5. ???
6. profit nothing?
7. Rebooted
8. still nada

Log is empty, all controllers shown as disconnected on the Controllers panel. Windows shows a single "wireless controller" is plugged in. That's it.

Any ideas?

Got exactly the same problem...

Any ideas?

Nabs

Got exactly the same problem...

Any ideas?

I think his problem involved not having the proper .NET 4 installed or something like that.

edit: Also, the new installer is much more straightforward. You press the install button and it'll download and install for you now. I'll have to edit the post.

Top Bottom