• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LittleBigPlanet BETA thread of hoo boy it's judgement time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Trevelyan said:
Anyone know if it's possible to adjust the gravity? like reduce it? not just in the beta, but the full game as well.

I'd like to know this as well. Would be awesome for space or "underwater" stages.

Also for being able to flip gravity itself would be nice for platforming puzzles.

mr_nothin

Banned
Teknoman said:
Hey everyone who's given making stages and enemies a shot:

Could I put together something like this with enough dedication?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcHqJ3KbCDQ&feature=related

Minus the shooting of course, unless they implemented little bottle cap or cork pop guns for the Sackboys and girls.
Yes, I believe you can make something CLOSE to that.
You can make the enemies fast and make them shoot alot and even follow sackboy when he reaches a certain proximity.

There's TONS of options.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok, online impressions.

So I made my level, it was ready to go, and I invited a few GAFfers. While I'm not really an online gamer person...I wasn't expecting how truely awesome this was going to be. It's remarkable to see three people playtest your level right in front of you...it's just crazy. And it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Races, something that looked a bit lame in the videos I've seen, is actually a ton of fun. Most of the online levels up right now cater to the LBP 4-player parties, and some of them are pretty brilliant (none of them are quite on the scale of a full-fledged level just yet; it's mostly fun runs and experiments).

What's even more awesome is the online persistent world of LBP. You can see a ton of levels on the main hub, and see how many people are playing each one. It was cool to see a few people in my level as I jumped around with my LBP chums, and it even alerted me when someone beat and rated my level.

Loading/downloading times are super quick...it feels like a regular game load, and I forgot that it was even downloading the new level for the party. When people join the game lags up quite a bit and gets nutty for a few seconds, but once everyone is in it's a fairly smooth ride.

You can choose to play online levels either by yourself or online, where you'll join up with whatever strangers are in the level at the moment. There's a full list of leaderboards and you'll be able to tag the level with lots of keyphrases like "ingenious" "cute" and "Braiiiiiiiins..."

I absolutely cannot wait till tomorrow after work to play more, and to see how my (rough) level is doing. What an amazing game.

mr_nothin

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
THE ONLY thing disappointing about this Beta is the fact that your toolset is very limited. You only get one background, you only get one song, that sort of thing.

I was hoping that I'd be able to make some really cool levels with the BETA, but there's a ton of stuff missing which makes me not want to go ahead and make things yet.
Are you doing the tutorials?
You get alot more stuff like that.
I have all the interactive songs so far and one licensed track.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
do levels get saved on your hard drive permanently or are they streamed off the server when you need to play them?

fugimax

chubigans said:
Ok, online impressions.

So I made my level, it was ready to go, and I invited a few GAFfers. While I'm not really an online gamer person...I wasn't expecting how truely awesome this was going to be. It's remarkable to see three people playtest your level right in front of you...it's just crazy. And it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Races, something that looked a bit lame in the videos I've seen, is actually a ton of fun. Most of the online levels up right now cater to the LBP 4-player parties, and some of them are pretty brilliant (none of them are quite on the scale of a full-fledged level just yet; it's mostly fun runs and experiments).

What's even more awesome is the online persistent world of LBP. You can see a ton of levels on the main hub, and see how many people are playing each one. It was cool to see a few people in my level as I jumped around with my LBP chums, and it even alerted me when someone beat and rated my level.

Loading/downloading times are super quick...it feels like a regular game load, and I forgot that it was even downloading the new level for the party. When people join the game lags up quite a bit and gets nutty for a few seconds, but once everyone is in it's a fairly smooth ride.

You can choose to play online levels either by yourself or online, where you'll join up with whatever strangers are in the level at the moment. There's a full list of leaderboards and you'll be able to tag the level with lots of keyphrases like "ingenious" "cute" and "Braiiiiiiiins..."

I absolutely cannot wait till tomorrow after work to play more, and to see how my (rough) level is doing. What an amazing game.
omg so good. ...but soo painful to hear. Need coma-pill until release day.

mr_nothin

Banned
chubigans said:
Ok, online impressions.

dot

FREAKING DOT

Exactly...

Teknoman

mr_nothin said:
Yes, I believe you can make something CLOSE to that.
You can make the enemies fast and make them shoot alot and even follow sackboy when he reaches a certain proximity.

There's TONS of options.

Thats what I was hoping for. Love chasing boss battles with giant enemies.

How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKywt6mJf1w

*Placing all players on rocket scooters at the start, having them dodge objects from aerial enemies, then once they reach a certain point, get off and use jet packs to catch up to a toy chopper, then dodging more stuff, before they make it to the end.

Not shooting for carbon copies of course, but i'd like to do stages similar to em.

mr_nothin said:
Are you doing the tutorials?
You get alot more stuff like that.
I have all the interactive songs so far and one licensed track.

yep. tutorials while boring it teaches you the basic and unlocks lots of stuff for editor. so much you can do. so little time ;(

mr_nothin

Banned
davepoobond said:
do levels get saved on your hard drive permanently or are they streamed off the server when you need to play them?
Streamed from the server but if you want to copy them to your planet, there's an option there too.

It loads up super fast so the only reason to save is to Edit, get it before it's deleted, or if you dont remember the name of it.

Wow. You guys are hyping this to the moon and back. I always thought it would be a good game but the feedback in this thread is so over-the-top it's hard to believe. I've heard far too many good things from people I trust who played it at E3s to doubt it though. Can't wait to try it.

Course I heard good things about Rez, SOTC, flow, Okami, etc. and was disappointed in those so really I NEED TO PLAY THIS! No opinion like your own as tastes differ widely.

Unfortunately I think it's going to be pretty difficult to get in the beta for this if you work for a living and can't put time into trying to get in.

mr_nothin

Banned
DMPrince said:
yep. tutorials while boring it teaches you the basic and unlocks lots of stuff for editor. so much you can do. so little time ;(
Not just like the 4 main levels.
There's more tutorials in the popit menu that you can do.
I have alot of stuff unlocked so far.

Catalix said:
I think "Ice Time Trial" might be my favorite level so far.

See those little Sackboys crawl through the ant farm-like tunnels near the beginning is hilarious! Plus the section where you have to quickly change between the 3 planes to avoid the series of spikes while continuously sliding across the slick ice floor was also a really clever touch.

Challenging too. It really gets fun with four people racing and sabotaging each other :D

Mine too! It's so cute and sliding in the ice is so fun. I dunno how to favorite stuff though. :(

mr_nothin

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
Wow. You guys are hyping this to the moon and back. I always thought it would be a good game but the feedback in this thread is so over-the-top it's hard to believe. I've heard far too many good things from people I trust who played it at E3s to doubt it though. Can't wait to try it.

Course I heard good things about Rez, SOTC, flow, Okami, etc. and was disappointed in those so really I NEED TO PLAY THIS! No opinion like your own as tastes differ widely.

Unfortunately I think it's going to be pretty difficult to get in the beta for this if you work for a living and can't put time into trying to get in.
It truly is an amazing game. If the 4 main levels bore you when you play by yourself..then just try to go back and play them with a friend, it almost TRIPLES the fun. Going through those levels at 1st was like..."ok this is good...solid game...w/e w/e" but then going back with a friend, man was I laughing the whole time. Giggling...LOL'ing...ROFFLES, all of that.

Then once you start to find good levels online and start doing the tutorials...there is a WHOLE 'NOTHER level added to the game. Then it gets to be OMFGWTFAWESOME!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No gravity options as far as I can tell, though you can change a lot of the other object's weight in what kind of material they are made out of.

patsu

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Yes, yes. Please the game to find out for yourself. It's a pretty solid title for me so far although I am only 1.5 level into the game.

mr_nothin

Banned
Teknoman said:
Also can you shift between the various planes on vehicles? That would really be nice during rocket scooter scrolling scenes.
I dont think there's a way to fully control vehicles like in that contra video but you could always have the sackboys use the jetpacks and build a semi-scrolling level and come up with some awesome stuff that would allow you to basically get that same effect.

It's all about how you approach it.

mr_nothin

Banned
vicissitudes said:
Mine too! It's so cute and sliding in the ice is so fun. I dunno how to favorite stuff though. :(
You "heart" them.
It should be in the "More options" menu. (press square when you're highlighting a level)

IIRC

Anyways...back to LBP!
I'm going to start working on full fledged levels and then remake some Super Mario World Levels :D

mr_nothin

Banned
DMPrince said:
messing with the bolts and stuff sends you to more tutorials which leads to more items to be unlocked. ;D
Yea...that's what I was saying.
There's TONS more.

You can always go to "play next tutorial" from the popit menu.

mr_nothin said:
Yea...that's what I was saying.
There's TONS more.

You can always go to "play next tutorial" from the popit menu.

yeah but once you're finish with that it's on to tutorial for any object that has green question mark on it.

EDIT:

anyone done the sprungbolt tutorial? i got a different language instead o.o sounds like some japanese or korean or something.

WTFing

Banned
chubigans said:
Ok, online impressions.

Please don't fall asleep and give us more impression. ;)

Datrio

My God, you're all hyping me beyond imagination. I played a bit in the morning and can't wait to get back home and play some more.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
chubigans said:
Ok, online impressions.

agreed. I hope the lag gets fixed soon. Was getting it here and there when I joined a level, made it almost unplayable but then I played online later and it only lagged when people joined.

Teknoman

mr_nothin said:
I dont think there's a way to fully control vehicles like in that contra video but you could always have the sackboys use the jetpacks and build a semi-scrolling level and come up with some awesome stuff that would allow you to basically get that same effect.

It's all about how you approach it.

All I can say is :D

Also same expression after hearing about being able to switch planes while sliding across a surface to avoid deadly obstacles.

Has anyone played the level made by EDGE? (EDGE Crew level)? It always gives me a "Uploading score failed!" message at the end of the level.

Tomorrow I'm going to try making a Dead Rising level, but so far it is amazing.

Also I was able to get screen shots off my PC screen onto my PS3 through the PS Eye and they did turn out alright.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Corran Horn said:
agreed. I hope the lag gets fixed soon. Was getting it here and there when I joined a level, made it almost unplayable but then I played online later and it only lagged when people joined.
Well MM blog says...

Also, since it’s a beta, it’s already quite an old build. We have some cool new stuff that’s been in our private test for a few days, I won’t give it all away but there are things cooking such as 5-star ratings, (much) better performance and less lagginess, better online stability, better UI for publishing, faster downloads…. so in a way playing this version is simultaneously exciting and an odd throwback to a couple of weeks ago.

Woo!

Now for sleep.

Teknoman

One more question. How many different ways can you attack/defeat enemies? Hop and bop, or just explosive objects being tossed or bounced back? Or more that that?

Teknoman said:
One more question. How many different ways can you attack/defeat enemies? Hop and bop, or just explosive objects being tossed or bounced back? Or more that that?

Main way to defeat an enemy is to destroy the brain, but you can get creative with it if you want to. I'm trying to design a cool enemy right now and it is harder than you think.

mr_nothin

Banned
Teknoman said:
In one of the videos, the narrator said something about enemies can be harmed by the different effects (fire/ice/gas/etc). But if they have that same type of effect applied to them then they would be immune...
Not sure exactly what that could mean though.

Teknoman

mr_nothin said:
In one of the videos, the narrator said something about enemies can be harmed by the different effects (fire/ice/gas/etc). But if they have that same type of effect applied to them then they would be immune...
Not sure exactly what that could mean though.

Linkzg said:
Main way to defeat an enemy is to destroy the brain, but you can get creative with it if you want to. I'm trying to design a cool enemy right now and it is harder than you think.

So then I guess you'd either have to find a way to make enemies hit themself or drop objects on wherever the brain is located?

Definity

Played for 5 hours straight...holy shit. Time suck confirmed. So awesome. I've not even gotten around to creating anything yet. I've been to busy playing levels that other people already have out there.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Kagari said:
Me too. Let's join the hate club together.

I'm the President of the hate club...

applications are filed through me...

56095738_15d318e014_m.jpg

patsu

marc^o^ said:
LBP, Wipeout, PlayTV, Motorstorm2, Iron Man Bluray movie...
*I can now officially say I love the PS3*

And Resistance 2, and SingStar ABBA, and Valkyria Chronicles, and Naruto: UMS, and ... shit I am broke.

EDIT: Forgot Bioshock, Buzz! too...

Dante

OMG @ the level when The LBP theme kicks in! One of those Epic gaming moments that come along once in a blue moon. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom