• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP : Earth's Dawn (2015) - XONE/PS4/PC

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Recently, i was trying to grab a couple of 2D action games for playing exclusively on my PS portal - mission accomplished since i got Chasm, Castlevania, Double Dragon gaiden and Earth's dawn.

Now, i was always interested in the game but never managed to play it due to..reasons.
Here, have some epilepsy :

...and here is our own ACG's review :

The art, while not quite Vanillaware levels of quality, is still commendable with its large, chunky characters, pleasant intermission character reports, fairly good enemy design and flashy effects that illuminate the entire screen during finishers.
Interestingly, of all the games I've acquired, Earth's Dawn is the one that has captivated me the most, and that's due to its incredibly accessible pick-up-and-play nature. It's a game where you can quickly start it up, play a few short missions lasting 2-5 minutes, enjoy yourself, and then easily put it aside.

Indeed, the levels can be somewhat monotonous, and there isn't a wide variety of enemies, leading to a grind as every item, from armor to weapons and swords, must be crafted between missions. Yet, this game is addictively engaging with its "just one more level" allure.
In terms of repetition, which is a common point in reviews, it's no more repetitive than, for example, Dragon's Crown with its limited stages and similar gameplay loop, or, Monster Hunter, which essentially revolves around grinding monsters for materials.
The game is far more entertaining and captivating than it appears in videos; it's a game that must be played firsthand to truly understand its appeal.
It plays fast, it has a nice juggle and combo system, it has unlockable moves , it looks good, the music is there for you to fook sheeeit up with gusto, there's customization involved and its "pick up and play®" nature is the cherry on top.

Again, while it may initially look like a cheap, Chinese Vanillaware knock-off i can vouch that it is not such a case, i expected absolutely nothing, what i got is a dumb but fun action brawler game, color me surprised boys.

If you enjoy this type of game, I believe you won't be disappointed as long as you manage your expectations and don't anticipate a Vanillaware-level masterpiece, additionally, it's available for...2 whole Eurodollars right now (that's not a typo ) on PSN until the 25th of April.

Last edited:

Svejk

Oh man.. so glad you posted this. I always wanted to try it out, because I like the art direction and animation style, but couldn't remember the name. All I remember is that it had the word earth in it. Lol

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Oh man.. so glad you posted this. I always wanted to try it out, because I like the art direction and animation style, but couldn't remember the name. All I remember is that it had the word earth in it. Lol

It's 2 bucks/Euros ATM man (if you're on Playstation), DO IT! 😁

I got this years ago on Switch because of the gorgeous art style and I second OP; this is a wonderful hidden gem!
I should go back to it. Thanks for the reminder!

Top Bottom