• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

Kittonwy said:
Bungie made a shooter with a single player mode AND a HUGE multiplayer mode, I'd like to see that amount of content from Sony Santa Monica for once. Some people might think God of War is big and it is to some extent, but Santa Monica is no Bungie, Bungie was the biggest thing MS has ever had (and it's stupid for them to let Bungie go independent because they WILL lose them at some point), Santa Monica is not the same thing to Sony.

Tech-wise while Team ICO got self-shadowing in SOTC, God of War 2 did not have self-shadowing in 2007. Seriously though, 2010 would be more than 3 years since pre-production doesn't start when GOW2 shipped, pre-production starts BEFORE GOW2 shipped. I think Sony should give Insomniac and Naughty Dog more time and give Santa Monica a kick in the pants, the Santa Monica God of War team has done NOTHING on the PS3 so far.
Indifferent2.gif

What are you talking about, "Santa Monica is no Bundie?"

You're actually right; Bungie has basically ruined Halo's story progression with its laughable production values. Bungie could learn a thing or two from Sony Santa Monica in that regard.

Obviously Bungie has a great community game with Halo 3, but to compare the two studios is absurd. They both do different things greatly...

Wollan

R1 along with Warhawk are probably still the most clean games this gen.
Popped in R1 a couple of weeks back and was shocked (think I made a post on the forum about it).

____

Wollan said:
R1 along with Warhawk are probably still the most clean games this gen.
Popped in R1 a couple of weeks back and was shocked (think I made a post on the forum about it).

Warhawk is absolutely amazing in HD. Zero jaggies, vibrant colors, varied environments.

It's beautiful to look at. It's beautiful to play.

*goes to play Warhawk*

I agree with kittonwy some better lighting and shadowing would make this game look leaps better. However,that's not my biggest concern with the title. I hate the fact that you're pretty much forced to use iron-sights in this game even when you want to hit someone at medium range ala COD 4. It worked well in Call of Duty 4 because it only took 3 to 4 hits max to kill someone,but in an arcade shooter like Resistance where it usually takes 10-20 bullets(carbine/bullseye) to take down an enemy it feels incredibly awkward and out of place.
This and the inability to carry more than 2 weapons was my biggest gripe with the beta and it seems to remain unchanged.

I hope Insomniac opts to include an arcade mode in multiplayer that plays more like R1 where you can pick up weapons and carry all of them at the same time and aren't forced to use iron sights for relatively short range combat.

Xyphie

Dante said:
There wasn't any aliasing in R&CF or RFOM either.

There is. 2xAA is still very noticable in still shots. Anyway I don't want this to turn into graphics battlez, just wanted to correct you on that those are photo mode grabs and not direct grabs.

morlock

Xyphie said:
Definitely not a direct grab. There's no aliasing whatsoever in those shots.
Most likely in game high res renders for prints. However, just like RFOM and R&C this game will be extremely clean with next to none aliasing. :) Almost CG-like smoothness.

Dibbz

Dante said:
Why not just post a direct grab of the same area?
The shot I posted is an actaul gameplay shot. What you see there is what it looks like when you play, unlike the shot you posted.

morlock

Dibbz said:
The shot I posted is an actaul gameplay shot. What you see there is what it looks like when you play, unlike the shot you posted.
Yes, if you capture it and compress it to hell and back it does....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
WHY ARE PEOPLE STILL BITCHING ABOUT GRAPHICS? The new fooage was way, way more impressive than I thought it would be, both visually and gameplay wise. You guys can nitpick all you want but this is going to be an incredible game in every way. I understand that there can be improvements made but the same can be true for every single game ever released. It's still impressive as all hell.

Madman

Kittonwy said:
Bungie made a shooter with a single player mode AND a HUGE multiplayer mode, I'd like to see that amount of content from Sony Santa Monica for once. Some people might think God of War is big and it is to some extent, but Santa Monica is no Bungie, Bungie was the biggest thing MS has ever had (and it's stupid for them to let Bungie go independent because they WILL lose them at some point), Santa Monica is not the same thing to Sony.

Tech-wise while Team ICO got self-shadowing in SOTC, God of War 2 did not have self-shadowing in 2007. Seriously though, 2010 would be more than 3 years since pre-production doesn't start when GOW2 shipped, pre-production starts BEFORE GOW2 shipped. I think Sony should give Insomniac and Naughty Dog more time and give Santa Monica a kick in the pants, the Santa Monica God of War team has done NOTHING on the PS3 so far.
Indifferent2.gif
Saying Halo containing both single and multiplayer amounts to more content overall is comparing apples to oranges. By that logic, Uncharted had much less content wise then Halo 3. The only studio that is Bungie like at Sony is Polyphony Digital. No one else does the numbers they do.

SOTC also ran at 30 fps in good conditions, and much worse in bad ones. GoW 2 was a near consistent 60 with huge environments and enemies. Self shadowing in SOTC was very impressive for what it was, but all of it's effects were at a large cost of performance. Going by game releases, at least in this situation, is much better then trying to gauge exactly how long the development of each game went. Pre-production on either Halo 3 or GoW 3 could have started years ago for all we know. As far as SSM's lack of production on the PS3, I think Jaffe already answered why they did a PS2 game instead of moving on right away a while back.

thuway

Despite the shadow bickering, I think we can all be in agreement:

The game looks fantastic for what its trying to pull off. It bests most shooters in the market from both a technical and artistic perspective. AmIRightPlayas?

Edit:

AND it runs at 720p, unlike COD4, Haze, and Halo 3. Braaaaaaap!

johnFkennedy said:
It worked well in Call of Duty 4 because it only took 3 to 4 hits max to kill someone,but in an arcade shooter like Resistance where it usually takes 10-20 bullets(carbine/bullseye) to take down an enemy it feels incredibly awkward and out of place.

But they've really dropped the health of the chimera, in fact, every bullets seems to have an impact in R2. From the videos, it seems like Uncharted, headshots are deadly, and if you shoot elsewhere, they take a several bullets to die. Well, I haven't played the beta, but in the SP videos, enemies aren't bullet sponges as they were in R1.

Goddamn... so this is it?

Every gen, there's always those who start expecting more or nitpicking this or that after the initial years and WOW factors have worn off.

Kittowy, you pointed out SOTC.... keep in mind that it was both an impressive game AND a very technically flawed game. You're bitching about shadows when this could be a revolutionary FPS with it's co-op. No shadows in a great game is a LOT better than a stuttery frame rate in an amazing game..... no?

And you pointed out GOW2 not having self shadows YET THE GAME STILL LOOKED GORGEOUS EVEN NEXT TO "NEXT GEN" GAMES AT THE TIME.

I'd also like to point out that this is a videogame. Unless these games start looking and feeling life-like... I could care less about fabricated, "realistic" shadows. Art > simulated elemental sources.

Wind Waker is cell-shaded? NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Dibbz

morlock said:
Yes, if you capture it and compress it to hell and back it does....
The crappy quality doesn't hide the fact that the ground is completly barren and flat. Considering the whole town there is under attack the ground should have imperfections and debris scattered around it.

A few extra polygons in the right place can really make a difference. It's all about hiding all the crap stuff away like it's been mentioned naughty dog done with some objects in uncharted. Something as important as the ground though should never look bad, especially in an FPS.

I thinks it's all part of the look and feel. If this game had Uncharted visuals it would not work. Maybe it's just my opinion. The way it is gives it a personality of it's own.

Kittonwy

Banned
Madman said:
Saying Halo containing both single and multiplayer amounts to more content overall is comparing apples to oranges. By that logic, Uncharted had much less content wise then Halo 3. The only studio that is Bungie like at Sony is Polyphony Digital. No one else does the numbers they do.

SOTC also ran at 30 fps in good conditions, and much worse in bad ones. GoW 2 was a near consistent 60 with huge environments and enemies. Self shadowing in SOTC was very impressive for what it was, but all of it's effects were at a large cost of performance. Going by game releases, at least in this situation, is much better then trying to gauge exactly how long the development of each game went. Pre-production on either Halo 3 or GoW 3 could have started years ago for all we know. As far as SSM's lack of production on the PS3, I think Jaffe already answered why they did a PS2 game instead of moving on right away a while back.

How many people worked at Naughty Dog? Under 90. Bungie is much bigger for good reasons, SSM is bigger even for the kind of games it does on a last generation platform.

It was obviously a sales decision in terms of God of War 2's platform choice, let the other teams like Naughty Dog and Insomniac and Evolution build that userbase for them, instead of risking their own IP by getting it out early, instead of taking the risk of not having mature development tools, at a time when the console really needed its AAA line-up. As a PS3 owner SSM has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me and we're going into YEAR 3.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
thuway said:

The game looks fantastic for what its trying to pull off. It bests most shooters in the market from both a technical and artistic perspective. AmIRightPlayas?

Edit:

Why did u include HAZE on that list.
Indifferent2.gif

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
thuway said:

Edit:

Dude, but COD4 was 60FPS, Haze inexcusable and Halo 3 had an amazing underlying lightning system that only gets displayed on pictures :lol At least the sub 720P was allowed in COD4 to maintain 60FPS. R2 is gonna be 30FPS like R1 right?

Norml

Ground textures look great.Looks like they kept the same texture from the early build.
R2 looks to have the best graphics on console imho.

2ary8n.png

23wu04o.png

icl5bd.png

Gears2 looks no better in texture and is even farther away in this pic.

Kittonwy

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
I agree with kittonwy some better lighting and shadowing would make this game look leaps better. However,that's not my biggest concern with the title. I hate the fact that you're pretty much forced to use iron-sights in this game even when you want to hit someone at medium range ala COD 4. It worked well in Call of Duty 4 because it only took 3 to 4 hits max to kill someone,but in an arcade shooter like Resistance where it usually takes 10-20 bullets(carbine/bullseye) to take down an enemy it feels incredibly awkward and out of place.
This and the inability to carry more than 2 weapons was my biggest gripe with the beta and it seems to remain unchanged.

I hope Insomniac opts to include an arcade mode in multiplayer that plays more like R1 where you can pick up weapons and carry all of them at the same time and aren't forced to use iron sights for relatively short range combat.

I wonder how the pubilc beta will play. I hope it's quick like RFOM.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Cirekiller said:
Is this the legendary so called subtle beauty of Halo 3?
=P. When taking in game pictures you can see how awesome it looks, but on "realtme" execution it kinda failed. It looked good, but the ugly jaggies, 30FPS and 580P really hurt it.

thuway

Relix said:
=P. When taking in game pictures you can see how awesome it looks, but on "realtme" execution it kinda failed. It looked good, but the ugly jaggies, 30FPS and 580P really hurt it.

Goddamn, don't even remind me of how big of a letdown Halo 3 was visually. I remember Luke Smith saying in EGM that you'd say "Gears of What"- talk about a pile of shit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kittonwy said:
I've been playing their games since Spyro actually. I would like a better-looking game, one that I've already pre-ordered, I happen to like HDR and self-shadowin, which was THE element that made Motorstorm a good looking game, and which was what made HALO3 outdoor environments way prettier than the indoor ones. Why wouldn't you want a better-looking game with HDR and self-shadowin?
Wait, are you saying you *don't* see HDR and self-shadowing in R2?

See, the thing is kitton that you've been nothing but quick to judge and wrong on all counts all along. For someone who claims to have been playing Insomniac's games since Spyro, you've never shown much awareness for how they work, how they efficiently pipeline through these well-controlled dev cycles maintaining a balance between quality craftmanship and timely delivery. You could have seen the way R2's development would play out from any of the previous games in their stable you claim to have played. If you have to resort to complaining over nits like the ratio of pre-baked to dynamic shadows, you've really got no real respect for Insomniac's approach which apparently suddenly doesn't suffice for you even though you've supposedly played the majority of their catalog.

Madman

Kittonwy said:
How many people worked at Naughty Dog? Under 90. Bungie is much bigger for good reasons, SSM is bigger even for the kind of games it does on a last generation platform.

It was obviously a sales decision in terms of God of War 2's platform choice, let the other teams like Naughty Dog and Insomniac and Evolution build that userbase for them, instead of risking their own IP by getting it out early, instead of taking the risk of not having mature development tools, at a time when the console really needed its AAA line-up. As a PS3 owner SSM has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me and we're going into YEAR 3.
In terms of output, SSM isn't behind many of the other studios so far. As far as God of War 2 being on the PS2 and your issues with that, Jaffe addressed GoW 2 on the PS2 awhile back:
davidjaffe said:
If I may just correct one thing:

You would be wrong to assume- as posted- that ANY of the folks at Sony Santa Monica had a hand in deciding to go PS2 over PS3 for GOWII. Turns out it was a great biz decision and all involved seem pretty happy about that aspect of it. The pros and cons are for those who care about such things to haggle on with...but just so the facts are straight about that issue.

David
This is all off topic. Let's get back to R2 or something.

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
Wait, are you saying you *don't* see HDR and self-shadowing in R2?

See, the thing is kitton that you've been nothing but quick to judge and wrong on all counts all along. For someone who claims to have been playing Insomniac's games since Spyro, you've never shown much awareness for how they work, how they efficiently pipeline through these well-controlled dev cycles maintaining a balance between quality craftmanship and timely delivery. You could have seen the way R2's development would play out from any of the previous games in their stable you claim to have played. If you have to resort to complaining over nits like the ratio of pre-baked to dynamic shadows, you've really got no real respect for Insomniac's approach which apparently suddenly doesn't suffice for you even though you've supposedly played the majority of their catalog.

There's some self-shadowin but wherez teh HDR.
Indifferent2.gif

I play dem games for gameplay obviously but game needs to look good to sell.

Dahbomb

This game looks crazy awesome. I don't think anyone has to worry about this game not selling because of its visual.

No one is going to be passing on Resistance 2 because of the visuals if they have a PS3.

kaching said:
Aaaand, it does. Do you have an absurdTaru.gif handy?

Im not sure why he is complaing now more than ever...the recent footage is the best yet... this looks better than any console fps so far released, certainly more impressive than COD4, halo 3 etc

Insomniac are the only reason i still own a PS3, there shit is just that good. After so many big ps3 games seeing delays these guys save the day time and time again. I didn't own a ps2 so this developer was a huge surprise for me.

The nade and rocket explosions still blow though. :p

nelsonroyale said:
Im not sure why he is complaing now more than ever...the recent footage is the best yet... this looks better than any console fps so far released, certainly more impressive than COD4, halo 3 etc

It really makes absolutely no sense.

How can you not be impressed with the Goliath footage? Shit like that HAS NEVER been done before this gen on that scale.

wolforce

Norml said:
Ground textures look great.Looks like they kept the same texture from the early build.
R2 looks to have the best graphics on console imho.

2ary8n.png

This is a picture taken directly from a gameplay section and it's excellent, from "poly count" to the textures, colors, lightning and shadows.

Not to mention the weapons look way better.

Look at how nicely modeled the shotgun is compared to what it looked like before. A vast improvement, for sure. Plus there's a lot of little detail on the guns themselves and the way they animated. Light now shines off the weapons, etc.

Looks way more polished and refined than R1.

2real4tv

Iam loving the improved animations of the chimera.

Is it me because it seems to be no weight to the LAARK...I did not see any recoil.

Lince

Banned
here's hoping the framerate is as good as R1 Manchester level, can't believe the engine never skipped a frame with so many things happening on screen.

Lince said:
here's hoping the framerate is as good as R1 Manchester level, can't believe the engine never skipped a frame with so many things happening on screen.

Did you see a framerate hitch in that footage while the giant Goliath was smashing shit up?

Framerate so good you'd think it was 60 fps.

Top Bottom