• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 - Hype Thread w/latest info

slider

Even though R1 did a lot of impressive things the thing that impressed me most was the gameplay.

R2 looks beautiful, but if they nail the gameplay again (and I think they will), that's the thing that'll keep me hooked. Although it must be said that scenes made up with some objects self shadowing and others not can look odd in still shots.

Basically some people want more and some people are grateful for what they've got. Nuttin' wrong with either POV.

AKS

Kittonwy said:
Every game uses some pre-baked shadows as long as you can get away with them but it's about where you use them, in places where the player can't reach, but this isn't even an issue in UNCHARTED, sure they cheat but they really don't cheat much at all other than a couple of big levels, even when you have your flashlight on, you can pretty much walk up to anything, try to move around to see if that odd piece of rock or skull can cast a shadow on itself and most likely it does, and if you can lead Sully close to you, you can probably get that light to cast some self-shadows on objects that in most games don't cast shadows at all, all those electric panels that flash blue? Yeah they have dynamic SELF-SHADOW-CASHING LIGHTS. UNCHARTED really doesn't mess around when it comes to lighting and shadowing which is why it looks so great.
angry.gif

I think the point is that don't put a light there if you're not going to have it cast shadows and self-shadows. Don't put the sun there if you can't have a bit of lens flare when you're looking in its direction, it's odd to have some objects cast shadows and then have a pile of bricks right in the middle of the road that don't. Don't put water there if it isn't going to be reflective and refractive (looking at u TOD and Q4B). I'm GLAD Resistance 2 is looking better than RFOM, Resistance 2 SHOULD look better than RFOM, in every fucking way, and it's not like other shooters don't do self-shadowing and HDR lighting either, Resistance is my favorite fucking shooter franchise so why shouldn't I want it to be the best?
Indifferent2.gif

I think you should cut Insomniac some slack and realize the difference in scale in R2 compared to a game like Uncharted. Uncharted was my GOTY last year, but I have little difficulty seeing what an accomplishment it is for Insomniac to get something with this incredible sense of scale and detail running so smoothly. R2 absolutely shames most games. I don't doubt your sincerity that you are indeed a fan of R1, but your expectations for R2's visuals and complaints about relatively minor details are sounding eerily reminiscent of Uncharted's detractors I debated last year who claimed Uncharted was "unplayable" or some such nonsense due to "massive amounts of tearing." There was some tearing, but it was a minor detail in the grand scheme of things. Ditto for R2's missing self-shadowing.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
antiloop said:
Thanks, looking good and seems to play good.

He talks about dynamic lightning. Who said everything were pre-baked?!
They use both, baked and dynamic.
I like that Insomniac is spending resources on making a huge SP,huge MP,huge CO OP and huge COMMUNITY.. and not spending it on making every blade of grass self shadowing :D

guys you need to understand ,that the shadow on each blade of grass doesnt add too much to the fun gameplay.
Insominac understand that ,their tought is : FUN > self shadowing grass .

Cheers and please lets keep this thread as a 'hype thread' and not a 'OMG weres the self shadowing on that mosquito!'

Dever

Banned
2real4tv said:
Iam loving the improved animations of the chimera.

Is it me because it seems to be no weight to the LAARK...I did not see any recoil.

LAARK was the rocket launcher right? Yeah. It lacks recoil, and the sound is really weak, too.

Wollan

Well, it's pretty normal for a rocket launcher to lack recoil. If those devices took the force from the blast you would find yourselves a dozen meters further back (for a normal M72 (those fold out one-time rocket launchers), if you're within a 5 meter radius behind the shooter you will get burned).

Dibbz

Some parts looks really good but then some parts look pretty bad. Guess I'll just have to wait till I get to play the game myself to see what it's like.

Dever

Banned
Wollan said:
Well, it's pretty normal for a rocket launcher to lack recoil. If those devices took the force from the blast you would find yourselves a dozen meters further back (for a normal M72 (those fold out one-time rocket launchers), if you're within a 5 meter radius behind the shooter you will get burned).

It may be realistic, but it sounds odd in a videogame when you're used to the rocket launcher being the big badass weapon. :D

fanboi

Banned
Wollan said:

This is true, but you should shake and get disoriented (I KNOW IM A SHARP KNEE GUY!)
But it looks damn fine.

FightyF

Banned
Norml said:
Ground textures look great.Looks like they kept the same texture from the early build.
R2 looks to have the best graphics on console imho.

pics

Gears2 looks no better in texture and is even farther away in this pic.

You do realize that there are detail textures that come up the closer you get to the surface? Meaning that you didn't even compare the two games.

Sheesh.

thuway said:
talk about a pile of shit.

Yeah you're blind. Personally I thought the 640p without AA hurt the impact of the gorgeous lighting, but to claim it's shit just proves you're either a fanboy or blind.

Anyways, you all know me, I'm one of the biggest graphics whores on this forum. I nitpick like no other.

And I say that nitpicking this title, after seeing all that it accomplishes, is unwarranted.

It's like comparing Grand Theft Auto to Gran Turismo, and asking why GTA doesn't run at 60fps. All of these different FPS games aim to do very different things. Look at Fracture for instance...you can't compare that to something like Gears and wonder why it doesn't look as good.

Gears is very close quarters...everything has to look good. In a massive huge game like Resistance, I can forgive it if one object in this 3 square mile level is a bit low poly or has a blurry texture. And that doesn't seem to be the case at all in Res 2. Lighting and materials look ace. Textures are sharp, and geometry is in abundance in all objects.

And the shadows are nothing like the resolution issue Halo 3 had, where it basically affects everything else directly. It's just in some cases it sticks out. Guess what, Gran Turismo has the same issue, but I'd rather have those shadows than a game with sharp shadows but a lower framerate, or less amount of cars.

Anyways, this close to launch I think this is a useless discussion. Why? Because so many of the nitpicking that could have been applied to Res 1 have been addressed here with Res 2. If 9/10 areas where you could nitpick have been addressed...there is no point in looking at that 1/10 when it is clear that it would be impossible to address it without making sacrifices in other areas. I don't think Res 2 needs any sacrifices at this point (I haven't played it, or the beta, but judging from the pics and vids).

davygee

Banned
Here is an example of the shadowing in the game. It looks great.

Look at the chimera falling over the ledge. His shadow appears on the low wall area and also appears on the floor. In the sequence, the shadows moves down the wall as he falls over ledge and then eventually appears on the floor and slides back to meet him as he lands on the floor. A very nice example of good dynamic shadowing done in the game. Something you may not even notice, but adds to the realism (or hyper-realism according to Ted) of the game.

shadowslc3.jpg

andycapps

davygee said:
Here is an example of the shadowing in the game. It looks great.

Look at the chimera falling over the ledge. His shadow appears on the low wall area and also appears on the floor. In the sequence, the shadows moves down the wall as he falls over ledge and then eventually appears on the floor and slides back to meet him as he lands on the floor. A very nice example of good dynamic shadowing done in the game. Something you may not even notice, but adds to the realism (or hyper-realism according to Ted) of the game.

I agree, I don't get the gripes over it. Perhaps it comes of when you put a feature like that in your game, people try to break it and see if there are cases when it doesn't apply. I know in the new Brothers in Arms game they tout being able to shoot through wooden fences, yet you can't shoot through a wooden barn door. I don't think this is nearly as extreme as that, but when developers tout a feature, undoubtedly you'll have some that try to make that apply to everything in the game. When it doesn't they'll call foul.

I think the game looks fantastic, it's made great strides from Resistance: FOM. The gripes over blurry textures here and there are pretty ridiculous IMO given what type of game Insomniac is trying to create.

So I'm replaying R1 and I just finished the part where you first get the sniper rifle. I have to say the textures from a distance are great looking. I hit the R3 analog to zoom in, and by golly they still look great. No jaggies too.

Dibbz

To the people that don't understand what's going on with the shadowing , we're not saying that there is no dynamic shadows at all but rather only certain things cast dynamic shadows. Character models all cast dynamic shadows and have self shadowing but big parts of the enviroment do not support those same features. It's so inconsistant that it breaks any realism that it's trying to achieve.

FightyF said:
You do realize that there are detail textures that come up the closer you get to the surface? Meaning that you didn't even compare the two games.

Sheesh.

Yeah you're blind. Personally I thought the 640p without AA hurt the impact of the gorgeous lighting, but to claim it's shit just proves you're either a fanboy or blind.

Anyways, you all know me, I'm one of the biggest graphics whores on this forum. I nitpick like no other.

And I say that nitpicking this title, after seeing all that it accomplishes, is unwarranted.

It's like comparing Grand Theft Auto to Gran Turismo, and asking why GTA doesn't run at 60fps. All of these different FPS games aim to do very different things. Look at Fracture for instance...you can't compare that to something like Gears and wonder why it doesn't look as good.

Gears is very close quarters...everything has to look good. In a massive huge game like Resistance, I can forgive it if one object in this 3 square mile level is a bit low poly or has a blurry texture. And that doesn't seem to be the case at all in Res 2. Lighting and materials look ace. Textures are sharp, and geometry is in abundance in all objects.

And the shadows are nothing like the resolution issue Halo 3 had, where it basically affects everything else directly. It's just in some cases it sticks out. Guess what, Gran Turismo has the same issue, but I'd rather have those shadows than a game with sharp shadows but a lower framerate, or less amount of cars.

Anyways, this close to launch I think this is a useless discussion. Why? Because so many of the nitpicking that could have been applied to Res 1 have been addressed here with Res 2. If 9/10 areas where you could nitpick have been addressed...there is no point in looking at that 1/10 when it is clear that it would be impossible to address it without making sacrifices in other areas. I don't think Res 2 needs any sacrifices at this point (I haven't played it, or the beta, but judging from the pics and vids).

pretty much agreed

what impress me about insomniac is that they seem to genuinely listen to the criticism...people wanted more colour, they got it etc

antiloop

Dibbz said:
To the people that don't understand what's going on with the shadowing , we're not saying that there is no dynamic shadows at all but rather only certain things cast dynamic shadows. Character models all cast dynamic shadows and have self shadowing but big parts of the enviroment do not support those same features. It's so inconsistant that it breaks any realism that it's trying to achieve.

True but 99% of the games out there uses a combination.

J2d

Just spending five minutes with the latest Game Reactor issue I'm starting to believe Ted Price fucked their cat or something. I don't think the Resistance franchise has ever gotten a positive sentence from them.

davygee

Banned
Dibbz said:

Not true at all.

Realistically, the most effective dynamic shadows are of those moving objects and it seems that the game covers this by allowing the characters to have dynamic shadows. The environment doesn't move (or very little of it), so why would they need dynamic shadows seeing as the light source stays in the same position?

I would like to see some screens where the shadows are "baked" as they call it and where it doesn't work and breaks the realism of the game?

Dibbz

wolforce said:
I think 100%. It's only a waste of resources use dynamic shadows for everything.
Siren, Stalker, Uncharted and Killzone 2 all pull of dynamic shadows amazingly well. I've heard that deffered rendering can help to render out very complex light scenes very quickly.

The thing about R2 though is that they should design there levels with their lighting solution in mind. I'd much rather they reduce the size of a car park in Orick so that they could clutter it up and add pre-baked shadows in places that are not painfully obvious when looking at it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dibbz said:
Siren, Stalker, Uncharted and Killzone 2 all pull of dynamic shadows amazingly well. I've heard that deffered rendering can help to render out very complex light scenes very quickly.
The thing about R2 though is that they should design there levels with their lighting solution in mind. I'd much rather they reduce the size of a car park in Orick so that they could clutter it up and add pre-baked shadows in places that are not painfully obvious when looking at it.
K2 uses deffered rendering.. also known as 'CELL awesomesauce' :D

Norml

FightyF said:

Sheesh.

Most textures look best farther away in every game I have played. I think it's comparable.

sol_bad

I'm sorry, I have to say that I think it's absolutely pathetic that people sit there and experiment to see what objects have self shadowing and what don't. I mean to sit there in the dark and flash your torch at every object? I feel sorry for you kittonwy.

The game looks damn good, just enjoy the bloody thing.

Dibbz

sol_bad said:
I'm sorry, I have to say that I think it's absolutely pathetic that people sit there and experiment to see what objects have self shadowing and what don't. I mean to sit there in the dark and flash your torch at every object? I feel sorry for you kittonwy.

The game looks damn good, just enjoy the bloody thing.
It's painfully obvious when you see characters running around with dynamic shadows but the building next to them is not affected at all by the same lighting.

wolforce

Dibbz said:

What are you talking about ? Every game has "pre-baked" shadows ( even K2 ).

ypo

The thing about the lack of real time environmental shadows is that when you go from light to dark and vice versa you pop in and out of shadows. You see your weapons and hands go from bright to dark all of sudden. The *pops* are a little jarring, but....this game is looking great despite that. It would been great if they were able to do dynamic shadows.

sol_bad

Dibbz said:
It's painfully obvious when you see characters running around with dynamic shadows but the building next to them is not affected at all by the same lighting.

What's your point? Trackmania has blatently obvious baked lighting and it's one of the best car games ever made. Who cares if the environments lighting is baked....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dibbz said:
Whenever I see quotes like this I always wonder how the hell these people played games at all in previous generations.

FightyF

Banned
Norml said:
Most textures look best farther away in every game I have played. I think it's comparable.

Heh, so you didn't understand what I meant by detail textures? How about mipmapping...considering your statement just now you probably have no clue, heh.

Anyways, again, let's change the topic.

If there's anything we should be really concerned about is how Sony and Insomniac totally dropped the ball in terms of having me in the first beta. Yup. Still bitter. heheh

Dibbz

Let me explain what I'm talking about.

What makes these pics so good is the use of dynamic shadows.

resistance-2-20080126000728097.jpg

resistance-2-20080126000723363.jpg

Now look at this picture.

resistance-2-20080923112846023.jpg

What makes this picture look bad the shadows and lighting are a complete mess. Just look at the ground. I can't even tell where the light is hitting objects from.

I'm not bashing the game, I'm just expressing my dissapointment in Insomniac.

Dibbz said:

I'm not bashing the game, I'm just expressing my dissapointment in Insomniac.

Indoor scene and an enclosed area vs wide open outdoors shot in full sunlight. Apples to Oranges. Totally invalid comparison.

FirewalkR

Dibbz said:

Wth? Isn't the second pic multiplayer?

I found the single player videos as good looking, if not better, than those first pics.

Tom Penny

Save the total bitching about graphics for when the game comes out. Then everyone can bitch about all the little things the game is missing and then continue into the" R2 rapes Gears 2 graphics" and vice versa. You can count on that ;)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dibbz said:

Why don't you start by explaining how you know what's a dynamic shadow from a screenshot alone.

FirewalkR said:
Wth? Isn't the second pic multiplayer?

I found the single player videos as good looking, if not better, than those first pics.

The second picture is co-op or multiplayer, which admittedly has less lighting because its trying to support 60 player multi or 100 enemies on screen.

The first SHOT looks EXACTLY like what we've seen from the Iceland footage. Check the lighting out in single player, looks exactly the same. Those weren't bullshots outside of the AA.

mittelos

Private Hoffman said:
I know, I don't get it, honestly.

Kudos to Insomniac & crew, you silenced most of the doubters.
Silenced me for sure, not that I doubted all that much in the first place. I just wasn't all that excited about R2. But, my hype is WAY up after this latest batch of media.

Top Bottom