• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

What does Sony have coming out this Holiday? It's really not that much of a jump to think Xbox One could do better than the PS4 for Q4. Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. That's a baller line-up no matter what side of the fence you're on. There are only so many people interested in gaming consoles and at some point, the number of PS4 buyers will peak where you could argue that the Xbox One market hasn't been completely tapped. Of course, a lot of this is my own opinion and speculation, but there is no speculating on which platform has the better holiday line-up right now.

To the contrary, the only one of those that is big is Halo. Forza Horizon didn't do anywhere near as well as a mainline Forza entry, and Sunset Overdrive is a complete unknown at this point. Like others here I think a GTA5 PS4 bundle would kill anything Microsoft can pull out of its hat dead.

Don't be surprised if DriveClub does better than Forza Horizon 2 and/or Sunset Overdrive either.

Ty4on

mk8-logo.png

Looks like an infinity loop, no?

renjworks

Neo Member
npd-madden-sells-better-on-ps4-than-xbox-one/"]I can confirm that even if you include the bundled version of Madden, it still sold better on PS4. [/URL]

PS4's install base is just too far ahead.[/QUOTE]

But Ghosts sold better on PS4... I expect AW to be the same.

Totally agree; Kotick will be very very happy making money off Microsoft exclusive marketing deal and PS4's massive fanbase.

donny2112

What's alarming is SCEA pr is bragging that LoU has legs. Weird times.

Didn't TLOU:R sell like 200K last month? In that case, it sold almost as much in its second month as in the first few days. We've seen much worse drop-offs, so maybe compared to other games, it does have better legs.

Well since my own opinion and speculation will apparently lead to no speculation which platform has the better holiday line up this is my future holiday purchases:

forza 2, driveclub for exclusives
ass creed (ps4), gtav(ps4 if it does come out this fall), bf(ps4 if pc version craps all over my sli 770s because DRIVER ISSUES)

SO will wait until theres a sale, mCC will only offer me nostalgia factor so I can wait for sale. Lbp3 when game of the year edition comes out LOL. Ill wait on reviews for FarCry/DragonAge

So exclusivity wise is par. But you know theres all those other games called multi-plat that seem to sell more on PS4.

But my most played game will be... Civilization so pc wins by default.
Fair enough. Beyond Earth does have me really intrigued. Have been waiting for an Alpha Centauri-like sequel for a long time.

EDIT:
To the contrary, the only one of those that is big is Halo. Forza Horizon didn't do anywhere near as well as a mainline Forza entry, and Sunset Overdrive is a complete unknown at this point. Like others here I think a GTA5 PS4 bundle would kill anything Microsoft can pull out of its hat dead.

Don't be surprised if DriveClub does better than Forza Horizon 2 and/or Sunset Overdrive either.
I will be extremely surprised if DriveClub does better, but we'll have to wait to see I guess.

Replicant

Concern trolling would be saying something like "Doesn't the PS4 look tired, though," back in December while the PS4 was still selling gangbusters.

Concern trolling isn't, "the evidence strongly suggests a massive contraction."

Are you replying from your alt account or just fellow poster with similar concern?

And again, what are YOU going to do about it? What do you want us to do about it?

That sounds about right, especially for hardcore games.

NPD retail sales are still extraordinarily relevant to developers...contrary to what Polygon might say.

I guess I'm a casual. I haven't bought a disc game in years (in fact my launch PS4 BD Drive has never been used and I do have a lot of games).

Didn't TLOU:R sell like 200K last month? In that case, it sold almost as much in its second month as in the first few days. We've seen much worse drop-offs, so maybe compared to other games, it does have better legs.

It's around a 42% drop. Seems quite good for a remaster of a year old game

WIU: 1.82
PS4: 2.08
XB1: 2.47

Those were only the Top 10 SW LTD's though. Actual Tie Ratio's for XB1 and PS4 are higher by a bit

crazyprac

It's around a 42% drop. Seems quite good for a remaster of a year old game

Those were only the Top 10 SW LTD's though. Actual Tie Ratio's for XB1 and PS4 are higher by a bit

A bit off topic but would you know how well it compared to Tomb Raider Definitive Edition? I mean percentage drop wise over the same time frame?

EDIT: Got to say it seems cream/aqua delivering more frequently than last npd... where the ninjas at??

Proposing zero, ZERO fucking solution about it.

Hardware manufacturers:
- Push for value adds that matter outside of the dwindling core demographic (less focus on dick swinging with technical specifications that the layman and many enthisiasts either do not understand or find meaningless outside of one number being bigger than another)
- Cultivate first and second party studios focussing on non-traditional gameplay concepts (as Sony did successfully with EyeToy, SingStar and Buzz, and as Nintendo did with Wii ___ )
- Use the moneyhats usually spent on cock-blocking the competition to create and fund new content instead
- Market outside of the enthusiast press
- Licence middleware and make it free to developers as part of your SDKs on a non-exclusive basis

Publishers:
- Reduce individual game budgets, particularly on iterative known successes where smaller teams do not need to reinvent the wheel
- Reduce marketing spends (and the ludicrous excesses thereof)
- Reduce marketing control of game design (never refuse to fund a project because a marketer thinks the concept is too difficult to market or not cinematic enough)
- Bring back middle tier titles, at middle tier prices; not every game should be either a AAA $60 or $15 digital download. Use variable pricing systems.
- Greenlight riskier projects routinely with the expectation that they will fail, to promote innovation

What does Sony have coming out this Holiday? It's really not that much of a jump to think Xbox One could do better than the PS4 for Q4. Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Halo: The Master Chief Collection. That's a baller line-up no matter what side of the fence you're on. There are only so many people interested in gaming consoles and at some point, the number of PS4 buyers will peak where you could argue that the Xbox One market hasn't been completely tapped. Of course, a lot of this is my own opinion and speculation, but there is no speculating on which platform has the better holiday line-up right now.

uhhh..what?

ps4 also has bloodborne + the order in a couple of months after holiday, and xbone doesn't have anything.

lol @ ps4 peak and xbone untapped. you do know they're competing for the same consumers, no?

JNA

Banned
I will be extremely surprised if DriveClub does better, but we'll have to wait to see I guess.

Prepare to be very surprised then. XD

Drive club has a good amount of hype and marketing going for it with a much bigger install base. It really isn't difficult to do better than something like Forza Horizon.

Toki767

I like Forza Horizon and think Sunset Overdrive looks like fun as much as the next guy, but some of you are crazy thinking those are system sellers for Xbox One.

Overall, include special edition of SW, but bundle only count in HW.

Wii U: 3.40
XB1: 3.23
PS4: 2.88

well damn the Wii U attach rate must be horrible or the XB1 rate brilliant if they're already about to converge

(and no don't say MK8 bundles, cause Titanfall bundles cancel that out)

i beat you by a couple of posts, creamsugar <3

you didn't have Wii U attach rates #fraud #creamsugarftw

lol

Salex_

I wonder why the people shouting doom and gloom are completely ignoring the games? There's been very little brand new retail games lately because publishers decided it would smart to jam as much games as they could into the holiday/early 2015 lineup.

Driveclub, LBP3, and Guilty Gear Xrd.

I'm confused about your peak comment. We're almost 1 year into the generation and a lot of the real software will start coming out next year. The consoles aren't at the prices mass market prices yet either.

Ty4on

Xbox One is almost catching Wii U. Is doing really great in software sales.

well damn the Wii U attach rate must be horrible or the XB1 rate brilliant if they're already about to converge

Someone said everything not Mario did really poorly on WiiU.

I think XB1 loses the most from no bundles. Titanfall bundles charted for ages on Amazon and then you have Forza and Madden bundles.

side note, but i never got the whole "well xbone+ps4 are outselling 360+ps3 in the same time frame so hur dur!" argument. the wii kicked both consoles' asses. if you include all 3 consoles on both gens would this gen actually outpacing the last gen consoles by so large a margin? i bet not.

I wonder why the people shouting doom and gloom are completely ignoring the games? There's been very little brand new retail games lately because publishers decided it would smart to jam as much games as they could into the holiday/early 2015 lineup.

Its not that they decided to; its that games are more expensive to make than ever before, both in the sense of time and budget.

That's not going to change anytime soon either; fewer titles will be released with longer intervals between them. Unless they all develop unprecedented sales tails that doesn't help.

sörine

Banned

Uh, Wii U has a game (or two) bundled with every console sold. It's been that way since the standalone basic was discontinued over a year ago, and those sold barely anything to that point either.

If we include bundles the Wii U attach rate should jump by an entire point. Maybe more.

AniHawk

side note, but i never got the whole "well xbone+ps4 are outselling 360+ps3 in the same time frame so hur dur!" argument. the wii kicked both consoles' asses. if you include all 3 consoles on both gens would this gen actually outpacing the last gen consoles by so large a margin? i bet not.

the wii doesn't count becauseitit was not made for video gamers and the people who made games for it werent fans fo vidoe games themselves. so when the market left wholesale and never bought another vdieo game agan the market rteurned to normal which is basicaly what the ps2 was which is about 300k-400k a month. honenstly the new system are doing really good.

sörine;129610712 said:
Uh, Wii U has a game (or two) bundled with every console sold. It's been that way since the standalone basic was discontinued over a year ago, and those sold barely anything to that point either.

If we include bundles the Wii U attach rate should jump by an entire point. Maybe more.

Unless we have bundled SW numbers for PS4 and XB1 as well as previous systems that doesn't mean much of anything. All of the numbers provided were unbundled.

Replicant

Hardware manufacturers:
- Push for value adds that matter outside of the dwindling core demographic (less focus on dick swinging with technical specifications that the layman and many enthisiasts either do not understand or find meaningless outside of one number being bigger than another)
- Cultivate first and second party studios focussing on non-traditional gameplay concepts (as Sony did successfully with EyeToy, SingStar and Buzz, and as Nintendo did with Wii ___ )
- Use the moneyhats usually spent on cock-blocking the competition to create and fund new content instead
- Market outside of the enthusiast press
- Licence middleware and make it free to developers as part of your SDKs on a non-exclusive basis

Publishers:
- Reduce individual game budgets, particularly on iterative known successes where smaller teams do not need to reinvent the wheel
- Reduce marketing spends (and the ludicrous excesses thereof)
- Reduce marketing control of game design (never refuse to fund a project because a marketer thinks the concept is too difficult to market or not cinematic enough)
- Bring back middle tier titles, at middle tier prices; not every game should be either a AAA $60 or $15 digital download. Use variable pricing systems.
- Greenlight riskier projects routinely with the expectation that they will fail, to promote innovation

Except for one or two items about big budget and Moneyhats, how do you know companies haven't done those already?

And without marketing, how do you expect the mass market to be aware of a product? Product don't reach the consciousness of the mass without effort from its seller.

sörine;129610712 said:

.....yikes the Wii U has had so many bundles this whole time?
this doesn't really make it look much better you know (also I'm sure by this logic we can add a decent chunk to the Xbox One)

Except for one or two items about big budget and Moneyhats, how do you know companies haven't done those already?

Look at their release schedules.
Look at their pricing.

And without marketing, how do you expect the mass market to be aware of a product? Product don't reach the consciousness of the mass without effort from its seller.

Flying a bunch of games journalists to Paris and giving them all Nexus Ones gets you good previews in the enthusiast press.

The only people who read the enthusiast press are the people contributing to the contraction.

Top Bottom