• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s Focus Has Shifted From Game Sales to Actual Play Time, Sony Says

Topher

Gold Member
Sony has said that due to changes in consumer behavior during the PS4 era, PlayStation‘s focus has shifted to increasing play time on the PS5 rather than increasing the number of games sold. This isn’t to say that there’s no emphasis on the number of software units sold, but that Sony wants to improve profits via player investment into the PlayStation ecosystem.

Are PS5 players buying less games than ever before?
Sony said that its business model previously focused on increasing software units sold in conjunction with hardware units sold. However, there was a “transition” during the PS4 era where players presumably purchased fewer new games but spent more time on the console. Sony says that it managed to “significantly” improve profits as a result, and wants to capitalize on this trend going forward.

“The business model up to and including the PlayStation 3 was focused on increasing the number of software units sold in relation to newly sold hardware for each console generation,” said SIE chairman Hiroki Totoki. “After a transition period during the PS4 generation, the PS5 model has shifted to one where playtime on the platform has increased due to expansion of the user community beyond console generations.”

Totoki added that the PS5 has achieved more “stable” profit growth as a result of the PS4 install base, which saw players carry libraries across console generations.

Thanks for the video Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives

I can't help but wonder how much of this is due to the shift of COD gamers from Xbox to Playstation last gen.

Last edited:

Aion002

All about those Fifa/Madden packs, Genshin/Star Rail gacha pulls and Fortnite/CoD skins.

angry the grinch GIF

The beginning of the end. At least they're the last to turn to shit. Oh my god I can see the Nintendo GAFers already coming for me with their torches and pitchforks, I'll see myself out

Metnut

Someone tell this to Square. Who cares about Rebirth’s sales. The few who bought it mostly love it and are investing 85-120 hours into it on average.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Imagine if movie theaters stopped caring about how many tickets they sold but how long people are watching the movie or going to see it again.

Sound stupid? Yes, because it’s stupid there and in games.

Sell good products without insane budgets. It’s just that simple.

AGRacing

Sony has said that due to changes in consumer behavior during the PS4 era, PlayStation‘s focus has shifted to increasing play time on the PS5 rather than increasing the number of games sold. This isn’t to say that there’s no emphasis on the number of software units sold, but that Sony wants to improve profits via player investment into the PlayStation ecosystem.

Are PS5 players buying less games than ever before?
Sony said that its business model previously focused on increasing software units sold in conjunction with hardware units sold. However, there was a “transition” during the PS4 era where players presumably purchased fewer new games but spent more time on the console. Sony says that it managed to “significantly” improve profits as a result, and wants to capitalize on this trend going forward.

“The business model up to and including the PlayStation 3 was focused on increasing the number of software units sold in relation to newly sold hardware for each console generation,” said SIE chairman Hiroki Totoki. “After a transition period during the PS4 generation, the PS5 model has shifted to one where playtime on the platform has increased due to expansion of the user community beyond console generations.”

Totoki added that the PS5 has achieved more “stable” profit growth as a result of the PS4 install base, which saw players carry libraries across console generations.

I can't help but wonder how much of this is due to the shift of COD gamers from Xbox to Playstation last gen.
This is great!! Now they can count Fortnite as part of their success!!

feynoob

People really are willing to spend money on MTX instead of buying games.
People want long term games, not one and done games.

Humans are by nature a tribe people. Seeing them play the same game makes sense for them. They will also spend tons of money on that game. Its why gaas makes tons of money.

feynoob

This post could very well be bad timing
The moment a financial guy took over, it was over for them.
Those guys would do whatever it takes to maximize profit and destroy what works for them.

MS did that with X360 by moving toward entertainment model and not capitalize on halo and call of duty success.

midnightAI

The moment a financial guy took over, it was over for them.
Those guys would do whatever it takes to maximize profit and destroy what works for them.

MS did that with X360 by moving toward entertainment model and not capitalize on halo and call of duty success.
Wait until after the upcoming showcase before proclaiming doom and gloom on single player games is all i'm saying

Top Bottom