• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : CNBC: Sony to release a PS5 Pro this year

danklord

Gold Member
It baffles me that people are confused or put off by this. As soon as games started hitting 30fps and sub 4k this generation this was an inevitability.

We're still seeing games released today that are struggling built on UE 4. The real truth is the OG PS5 and the Xbox Series X just weren't powerful enough at launch. Neither console could run something like Assassin's Creed Valhalla at full resolution / framerate, and EVERY major first party release for Sony was cross platform.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Agreed

But this is what I realized from seeing the responses here on Gaf, a lot of people have zero interest in buying a PC so in order for them to get better performance on console they need the PS5 pro to happen and for that reason alone I think it will happen because sony knows this.

Investing in a new ps5 is silly imo because the number of sony games released this gen has been terrible plus better performance at a lower price can be had on a PC.... but to each his own.

Nah, not really.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well, dev-kits were sent out to third-parties late last year... the info is out there if you choose to believe it.
You mean the same people that said September 2023 release date?
That's not info, that's someone saying shit with nothing to back it up and people reporting it because they reported one thing that was true because it was literally about to be released
Is this what we've been reduced to?
Believing anything without receipts
I remember when sources had to verified before you would even report it, no headlines are from random tweets
and let's not forget Insomniac leaks shown no evidence of a Pro model existing, even the leaked Wolverine code shown nothing regarding it existing.

Last edited:

saintjules

I expect $599 for the Pro which will be digital only

Interesting. What are the points directed indicating digital only? Not ruling out a two SKU situation, but the caveat to that would be convoluting the models that already exist.

I was thinking that they do a disc/detachable option, but maybe digital only Pro and then making people buy a detachable disc might be smarter.

TGO

Did we? I think your timeline is a little off. We didn't get a hand drawing rough sketch from the Chinese assembly until close to spring, I believe.
Like I said before, the PS5 Pro was supposed to release last year, and what we got when it was a no show was it's been sent out to 3rd Party Devs instead.
If it existed from the time those insiders suggested we would have seen it by now in some shape or form.
I'm okay, with you guys believing it exists.
But I don't, sorry.
I could be wrong, but I don't care.
Currently I don't believe there is one, the evidence of it's existence isn't good for "me" at the moment.

Interesting. What are the points directed indicating digital only? Not ruling out a two SKU situation, but the caveat to that would be convoluting the models that already exist.

I was thinking that they do a disc/detachable option, but maybe digital only Pro and then making people buy a detachable disc might be smarter.

It will be detachable

I don’t think they want to go above $599 for this and having the disc drive separate would allow them to reach that price point

Like I said before, the PS5 Pro was supposed to release last year, and what we got when it was a no show was it's been sent out to 3rd Party Devs instead.
If it existed from the time those insiders suggested we would have seen it by now in some shape or form.
But I don't, sorry.
Currently I don't believe there is one, the evidence of it's existence isn't good for "me" at the moment.
If there are no no leaks right after GDC the pro is not existing or dead.

TGO

If there are no no leaks right after GDC the pro is not existing or dead.
I think that's reasonable but if it isn't people will still be going on about it right up until PS6 releases.
And people will still make up rumours.

But I don't, sorry.

They already taped out the silicon, which is a significant cost, according to reports.

There’s no reason to NOT release a Pro if that is true

RCU005

I don’t understand the reason for this existing. Doesn’t matter how many rumors there are, it just seem very unlikely it will happen, and people are just expecting it due to history repeating.

If Sony does release it, what is the point? They haven’t released one first party game that has used the PS5 specs. Just a very few third party games have felt “next-gen”.
This is a waste, as well as Sony focusing on GaaS.

TGO

I don’t understand the reason for this existing. Doesn’t matter how many rumors there are, it just seem very unlikely it will happen, and people are just expecting it due to history repeating.

If Sony does release it, what is the point? They haven’t released one first party game that has used the PS5 specs. Just a very few third party games have felt “next-gen”.
Because perfect 60fps as always

What are you talking about?

Every single title has “used the specs”

A Pro would allow games to use “more specs”

saintjules

Investing in a new ps5 is silly imo because the number of sony games released this gen has been terrible plus better performance at a lower price can be had on a PC.... but to each his own.

To each their own indeed. It's for the enthusiasts. And for those who don't want to wait x amount of time for a PS game to hit PC.

I mean, imagine waiting for a game like Bloodborne to hit PC. Just not ideal for some people to wait.

Ev1L AuRoN

If they indeed launch a pro console, I'm hoping for a true high-end system targeting 1k. Another 499 console that is slightly better isn't worth the upgrade.

saintjules

Some things just don't have much understanding. Like new phone iterations annually or new GPUs released annually.

It wouldn't surprise me if they released the Pro as a digital only model and put it on the customer to add the drive at $80, just so it cuts down on the number of SKUs( you'd be looking at disc/digital slim and disc/digital Pro, just seems too much but what do I know?).

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
As a former PS4 Pro user and now PS5 user, i´d just say: fuck it! We need more real next gen games, most part of PS5 catalogue are still Crossgen, more than 3 years after lauch so... Not this time Sony! Take full advantage of the current PS5 First! Obviously "Day 1 gang" is gonna jump on the train, like they always does with everything Sony drops, and most of them are gonna tell you that your current PS5 is not gonna work with GTA VI and whatsoever other games in vogue are gonna be available....But i just say...Look at 2013 PS4 and it´s 1,8 Tflops running Ragnarok, GT 7, Forbidden West and even RE 4 Remake like a champion....So...not upgrade needed, dont fall on that shit!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It wouldn't surprise me if they released the Pro as a digital only model and put it on the customer to add the drive at $80, just so it cuts down on the number of SKUs( you'd be looking at disc/digital slim and disc/digital Pro, just seems too much but what do I know?).
If they do release it, it will be like the PS5 refresh with an option to add.

Xtib81

Like I said before, the PS5 Pro was supposed to release last year, and what we got when it was a no show was it's been sent out to 3rd Party Devs instead..
No serious insider claimed that. It's apparent you don't want the pro to be real but it's quite likely happening.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Anyone else not caring about this? First-party output hasn't really had me like damn this is really pushing the PS5 (save for maybe a couple games). And I'm not optimistic that most devs would go back to let the game take in the full power of the PS5 Pro save for maybe a few first party PS5 games.

Last edited:

Elios83

Really looking forward to the improvements thar Pro will bring.
Especially ray tracing performance (GT7 with ray traced reflections during actual races is super tempting:pie_starstruck:) and if indeed there is something similar to DLSS, that could allow for performance modes that look like quality modes.

But Pro makes a lot of sense for Sony on the business side as well. Given the macro-economic situation that is making cutting prices really difficult, introducing new hardware offering higher performance that justifies the high price can really help to offset the decline in hardware sales on old models.

Chittagong

Gold Member
While I am one to always welcome a Pro console and get it day one, the challenge PS5 faces at the moment is not one that will be fixed by a Pro console. The drought of high profile games due to longer and longer production times and half a billion budgets have led to a situation where we see, at best it seems, a single game from a top studio in an entire generation.

Take Quantic Dream for example. Between 2010 and 2018 they put out three really major games - Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit. In the 8 years that follow, they will be lucky to put out one game. That's an entire generation. Or Naughty Dog. They put in five games - three Uncharted games and two Last of Us - between 2019 and 2020. Their last new game was Last of Us Part II in 2020. It looks pretty unlikely that we will see a new game from them in the next two years. So we will probably see one game from them in the time they did five last time around. That's pretty much the entire generation gone. Bungie's last game is Destiny 2 in 2017, and we are lucky if we see Marathon launch in the next two years. Or Suckerpunch, with Ghost of Tsushima in 2020, a cross gen game, will be lucky to put out one true PS5 game this generation.

Looking at the list of PlayStation Studios, I am not sure where the required shot in the arm will come from to get us excited about a Pro.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

If they do not have some type of bespoke resolution/frame rate scaling via brute force option that works with a majority of games then I don't see it viable. I'm sure they will show the pro off with some pro enhanced first party titles such as ghost 2 etc but if devs MUST patch in improvements every time it'll be a hard sell for most. I'll be trading in my ps5 for one day one however.

Last edited:

saintjules

While I am one to always welcome a Pro console and get it day one, the challenge PS5 faces at the moment is not one that will be fixed by a Pro console. The drought of high profile games due to longer and longer production times and half a billion budgets have led to a situation where we see, at best it seems, a single game from a top studio in an entire generation.

Take Quantic Dream for example. Between 2010 and 2018 they put out three really major games - Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls and Detroit. In the 8 years that follow, they will be lucky to put out one game. That's an entire generation. Or Naughty Dog. They put in five games - three Uncharted games and two Last of Us - between 2019 and 2020. Their last new game was Last of Us Part II in 2020. It looks pretty unlikely that we will see a new game from them in the next two years. So we will probably see one game from them in the time they did five last time around. That's pretty much the entire generation gone. Bungie's last game is Destiny 2 in 2017, and we are lucky if we see Marathon launch in the next two years. Or Suckerpunch, with Ghost of Tsushima in 2020, a cross gen game, will be lucky to put out one true PS5 game this generation.

Looking at the list of PlayStation Studios, I am not sure where the required shot in the arm will come from to get us excited about a Pro.

I think it's mostly about future proofing. Like getting a 4090 GPU - big dick swinging and nothing to poke it with.

Seeing devs patch existing games with the ability to run fidelity + performance comfortably would be nice.

I have a 4090 gaming PC that is my main gaming machine but will 100% be buying the PS5 Pro as I still want the best experience I can get when I play on consoles
I’m sure everyone on this site will buy a PS5 pro because of the same reason, it will also be the best way to play GTA 6 but outside of that I think it’s kind of messed up that Sony plans to sell a new ps5 and didn’t deliver with the OG PS5, the number of first party game output this gen has been terrible.

It your a console only gamer, I totally get why you would want a ps5 pro though because at least you would get to play 3rd party games at slightly better performance.
To each their own indeed. It's for the enthusiasts. And for those who don't want to wait x amount of time for a PS game to hit PC.

I mean, imagine waiting for a game like Bloodborne to hit PC. Just not ideal for some people to wait.
I’m still waiting don’t see an issue, fomo isn’t a good thing lol.

lefty1117

Gold Member
What are the good new games that have come out recently that I could play if I got one. Ihave a launch PS5 but it's with my kid at college. I wasn't really playing it much when he took it. I hear Spiderman 2 is OK but not as good as the original. What other reason do I have to get it?

MagnesD3

Buying a Ps5 pro is bad idea when they dont have enough exclusive games to justify the base ps5 purchase. If you dont have a PC and dont own a Ps4 go for it but otherwise it just logically makes no sense supporting sony with your hard earned cash, they should worry about making the original ps5 playerbase happy before worrying about a pro. My ps5 is a street fighter 6 and elden ring machine. Returnal and Ragnarok are my only 2 exclusives. They should work harder than this but they are winning and dont have proper competition, its a crappy situation, hopefully most wont get the upgrade.

Last edited:

Beechos

Normally I would be day one for these sort of things but this gen has been so lacklaster. Pay more to play mid games at 4k60. I guess this will prob just be a gta 6 machine for alot of people.

yurinka

The current head of Sony already said PlayStation does not "plan to release any new major existing franchise titles before April 2025".

The games you mentioned aren't the type of games people buy consoles for. Also your $599 price isn't realistic if the pro is actually going to provide a noticeable leap over the OG PS5.

If a PS5 pro happens I can see it releasing next year or close to the release of GTA 6 and their next big AAA exclusive.
You personally not liking a game doesn't mean other people will like it. Also, I find pretty retarded the idea of a game being "a console seller". Nobody is going to by a $500 to play a single game.

People buys a console because they plan to use it during many years playing in the sofa multiple games on it. People chooses a console or another for several reasons. One of them being if its catalog includes game that person likes.

PlayStation has the biggest and more diverse lineup of all the consoles. Unless you only like Nintendo games, PS will have the best lineup for any niches you like. That list is a great example: several games that will be great for these types of games. And like the 3rd party exclusives they will have that FY like FFVIIR or ZZZ people won't be able to find them anywhere else.

Regarding exclusives, most people don't give a fuck. Most best selling / most played games are multiplatform: GTA, CoD, FIFA, Minecraft, PUBG, Fortnite, Apex Legends, AC etc. Most people just buys the games they like and don't care if are exclusive or not.

In case of PlayStation, many people just buy it by default because they know it's going to get a ton of games they'll like. So PS5 Pro, like PS4 Pro, doesn't need any specific exclusive.

Regarding the list, Concord pretty sure will be one of the most successful 2023 games and maybe the most. It's being made by ex-Bungie people who worked in the first Halos or Destiny 1, CoD devs and many people who also worked in other top shooters. I'm pretty sure it will be a big hit that may even make more money than Spider-Man 2 and GoWR.

Last edited:

sachos

AI Upscaling and way better RT is a must imo, at the very least better RT. Save AI for the PS6 if you are not ready. Maybe they do not have 1st party game to launch with it but how about RT upgrades for existing exclusives, is that too crazy to think about?

Humdinger

I thought I wouldn't get one, but I changed my mind. I think I will. I was happy with my PS4 Pro, I'll probably be happy with my PS5 Pro, too.

WitchHunter

Banned
Fuck, bring us a replaceable GPU+CPU that can be slotted in a PC with a PCie card. Just like they "solved" the fucked up potentiometers in the PS controllers with replaceable thumbstick modules.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There’s zero chance the Pro comes out this summer lol. There would have already been a leak.
I’m assuming it’s been cancelled.
Its not coming this Summer, never was intended to its always been a much closer to holiday release.

Does anyone remember when we got real leaks for the PS4 Pro prior to its launch?

saintjules

Does anyone remember when we got real leaks for the PS4 Pro prior to its launch?

This one? :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Uh......why? Is this needed? I guess they want the high $$$ from the few people that will buy it.

Focus on making games Sony......................then a PS6 in a few years. Only a handful of games have been made exclusively for the PS5

saintjules

Uh......why? Is this needed? I guess they want the high $$$ from the few people that will buy it.

Yes.

Why do we need a 4090 GPU when most games aren't taking advantage of it? There for those that want it.

Why do we need the S24 Ultra when my S22 Ultra is working fine? There for those that want it.

Why do we need to go get a 2024 Honda CRV? There for those that want it.

Why is there an Apple Vision Pro that costs $3499? There for those that want it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom